forum

Speed and Hand Dominance

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ziarivy
I've only very recently started being able to pass about half of ~5.3* maps, and I finally decided that my biggest problem is speed, more so than aim. I'm simply too slow to play harder maps proficiently.

I know that I will get better with time and practice, I know that all I need to do is play more. But I also know it will be very slow and frustrating because essentially what I need to do is improve my dexterity which is not exactly an easy process.

I was wondering, though - I am right hand dominant, so I've been aiming with my right hand. But also, with my right hand I can tap faster, more accurately, and it takes much, much longer for my right hand to tense up. With that in mind, would it be possible that learning to aim with my left hand and tap with my right might be a more efficient way to improvement? Or would it be best to stick with practicing as I currently have been?
Sandy Hoey
If you do decide to do that, you will ahve to consider how bad your aim will get. For most people, their weak hand has very little precision, which will make aiming (at least in the beginning and maybe for a significant chunk of time) impossible. It will almost be like you are a beignner again. I would suggest playing the way you suppcurrently are, but focusing on increasing your stamina. Playing longer maps without retrying. Stuff like that
Domo3311
Ive also considered doing the same since i stream at abt 180 bpm on my left hand but my right i can hit around 300+. But i tried to write with a pencil in my left hand and it was so ugly that i dropped that idea o.o
Sandy Hoey
If only you were ambidextrous
winber1
you've been training your right hand to write and maneuver in very precise movements for your whole life, not just when you started playing osu. you're basically trying to teach your left hand how to write within a few months or maybe a year, rather than over 15 years. You'll definitely take a lot less time than 15 years, but it's not as simple as just switching and playing for a few months.

You will literally give yourself cancer with how bad you will be. It takes a ton of dedication to do that if you've already committed so much already to one hand.

of course your right hand might be able to stream faster, but it also needs to learn how to hit accurately as well in accordance with your left hand. that's just an extra layer of coordination you need to re-learn as well.

do as you please, but i personally think it's much faster to stick to what feels comfortable, unless ur some weird autistic savant