forum

Ponies

posted
Total Posts
show more
awp

ztrot wrote:

If I wasn't hurting to find work in a really bad way I'd hobo it down to you awp hitchhiking can get you places :P
a friend of mine hitchhiked like 200 miles to hang out with us one time (he is a crazy motherfucker)
Kyonko Hizara
I'm so lame because I'm stuck foreveralone torrenting the movie and watching it by myself
Doodle99
ponies are2cool4u
Kyonko Hizara
Bitch please
silmarilen
Kyonko Hizara
The ending was the best
NaomiMinette
Damiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, that ending DX
awp
Spectacular
NaomiMinette
So I recently found a video involving the JP dub's Winter Wrap Up episode... They didn't dub the song. I guess it was probably too hard for them to rearrange it or something. Oh well...
Kyonko Hizara

Still addicted to this
awp

Blazevoir wrote:

So I recently found a video involving the JP dub's Winter Wrap Up episode... They didn't dub the song. I guess it was probably too hard for them to rearrange it or something. Oh well...
if they dubbed it into Japanese half the words would have been in English anyway
Kyonko Hizara
I got really bored and decided to watch all of Friendship is Witchcraft again with one of my friends

I do not regret this decision
Jarby

awp wrote:

Blazevoir wrote:

if they dubbed it into Japanese half the words would have been in English anyway
Plus it'd be pretty expensive to dub all of those songs and especially annoying if the Japanese cast aren't trained vocalists which would necessitate using session musicians that sound enough like them.
Kyonko Hizara
I've seen some Japanese fandubs of the songs, so I thought that there would end up being official Japanese dubs for the songs
Oh well, I guess I shouldn't have hoped for so much
NaomiMinette
For anyone that wants to compare the Japanese subs the dub used with the original song, here ya go: Winter Wrap Up (song)
Kyonko Hizara
>winter cleanup
Couldn't they still have the English subs below the Japanese ones be the original lyrics?
NaomiMinette

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

>winter cleanup
Couldn't they still have the English subs below the Japanese ones be the original lyrics?
*shrug* Heck if I know... Either way, I'm still upset. I was really looking forward to them dubbing the song.
Kyonko Hizara

Blazevoir wrote:

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

>winter cleanup
*shrug* Heck if I know... Either way, I'm still upset. I was really looking forward to them dubbing the song.
I think all of the VAs for the mane 6 have done vocals before anyway for songs from the other anime they've done. So it's not like it would have been that hard to get them to sing it.
NaomiMinette

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

Blazevoir wrote:

I think all of the VAs for the mane 6 have done vocals before anyway for songs from the other anime they've done. So it's not like it would have been that hard to get them to sing it.
EXACTLY!

*sigh* Well... let's just hope the other songs don't get ruined...
Kyonko Hizara
Cupcakes is the next one, but then comes Art of the Dress.
Art of the Dress is so long, watch them not even do the speaking parts in it.
ExVeemon
HELLO Bronies and Pegasisters, or whatever how you spell that.
NaomiMinette
Kyonko Hizara

Blazevoir wrote:

I'd play it....too much prolly...
Also today I got some of the newest blind bag series and a bunch of series 2 cards. I got Applejack and Spitfire in the blind bags (hooray for knowing codes) and in the cards I managed to get 2 of the pieces to the crystal empire puzzle. It still slightly bothers me tho how the Derpy card isn't named and there is no name for her even in the description of the card. I do find it funny tho how they have the Trixie card called The Great And Apologetic Trixie. I quite like the collection of cards that series 2 has to offer. I still check the codes on the back of the equestria magic cards to see if any of them are winners, even tho I prolly will never get anything from them.
awp
I was making a MLP jrpg (kind of like Grandia/FF6) but bailed on it because the scope was huge and I couldn't assemble a team to work on it
NaomiMinette
Just as long as it's not most/all of the RPG Maker MLP:FiM fangames out there... lol.

Speaking of which, anyone got any recommendations (doesn't have to be just RPGs) so I can distract myself till July's Legends of Equestria pre-Alpha event?
Blue Stig

Blazevoir wrote:

A-ARRG! THE MEMORIES!
NaomiMinette
silmarilen

Blazevoir wrote:

cool guys ponies don't look at explosions
Kyonko Hizara

Blazevoir wrote:

My life has become more complete
awp

Blazevoir wrote:

Just as long as it's not most/all of the RPG Maker MLP:FiM fangames out there... lol.
I doubt it. It didn't use any prebaked assets/engines at all; I got to have complete control over the entire system (skilltrees, how fleeing battle works, how dodging works, how each character role was played etc)
Jarby

awp wrote:

Blazevoir wrote:

I doubt it. It didn't use any prebaked assets/engines at all; I got to have complete control over the entire system (skilltrees, how fleeing battle works, how dodging works, how each character role was played etc)
Do you have an alpha available or anything?
awp
I could probably pull the source code, create a build, zip it up and upload it, since I'm never going to finish it

I just have to update a couple files (characters other than the main character will disappear in certain combat situations)

and probably tweak a few values I used for testing certain edge-cases (I think the debug robot enemy moved ridiculously fast)
awp
Okay I convinced me

http://puu.sh/3kAqM.zip

Requires .NET 3.5 and XNA 3.1 to run

.NET: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=21
XNA: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... x?id=15163

If you're running Windows 7, you probably already have the .NET requirement

Things to note:
You may have 3 of the Mane 6 in your party by using the Add/Remove Ponies option on the main menu
- Don't use Pinkie Pie. Unlike all the other characters, you can't give her orders and I haven't coded her AI, so she will do nothing
- Maybe don't use Fluttershy. Fluttershy can only attack when enraged (having her friends downed in combat) and I'm pretty sure I didn't code that either
On the status screen, pressing 'L' will level up your character
Inventory is not shared. If you buy an apple pie for Twilight, Rarity can't use it. Twilight would have to give Rarity the apple pie outside of battle beforehand.
Most items don't do anything. The ones that recover HP work though.
You can give a character Ability Points (used for learning skills) by pressing A (I think it's A) on the skill tree menu. However,
- Skills currently do nothing and most of them haven't even been imported/formatted.
In order to run from combat, the following criteria must be met:
- All characters have 0 control-interrupt status ailments (not dead, not confused, not petrified etc)
- All characters (other than Pinkie Pie) have their ATB gauge filled
When the above criteria is met, the boot icon will appear
Don't click the mouse in combat. It will make the current character run toward where you clicked. I forgot to remove that. It's just odd.
There are a couple of bugs (eg field menu doesn't index properly if you don't have magic unlocked) but whatever

CONTROLS
Escape - Pause
Arrows - Move
D - OK/Select things.Talk to other things.
W - Open field menu
S - Cancel selection/Back out of current menu
Q,E - Tab through characters (as long as they're a valid selection)

So here's a thing about battle:

The things on the right that have each of the characters faces are called Battle Cards. The largest battle card (Twilight in this image) is the one that's selected. Use Up/Down to change the selected character, and left/right to switch between commands. The commands are: Attack, Skill, Defend, Item, Run, ??? (6th item not implemented, super secret 7th item EXTRA NOT IMPLEMENTED)

Once again, skills don't work, so don't use them.

Here's a character class run-down for you:

Twlight: Mage/Nuke class. Heaviest damage-dealer if she has SP, kind of shit if she doesn't. Very useful against bosses, but requires SP consumables to be consistently useful. Capable of slotting commands ahead of ATB-Gauge filling (nope, not implemented) and by stacking commands, can do more in a single turn than other characters (still onpe)
AJ: Tank. She can defend more efficiently than other characters and can actually defend other characters (no she can't I haven't implemented that)
Dash: Attacker, Stunner. Distracting little gnat. With high end-user maintenance and skill, she can dodge attacks better than other characters. She's also the fastest and can interrupt enemy attacks in a pinch.
Rarity: Healer, Single-character buffs. Fragile, but has the ability to deflect enemy aggression either to her allies or even her enemies. Slowest character in the game, since she doesn't feel like running. Occasionally chooses to ignore dealing physical attacks because it's barbaric.
Fluttershy: Primarily a summoner, but gains significant stat bonuses whenever allies are downed in combat
Pinkie Pie: Party Buffs, enemy party debuffs, and all sorts of little quirks and behaviours I'm not even going to bother explaining. She causes a few "divide by zero" exceptions even in prototyping. Don't use her; she doesn't work

Enemy attributes can be modified in the Content\battledata\enemy.mlf file (it's just text, and no, it's not a MILF extension). Random encounters are ALWAYS 1 debug robot because I guess I commented out the stuff that generates a random number of them
Jarby
It's sad that you're not continuing this project as it looks so promising.
awp

Jarby wrote:

It's sad that you're not continuing this project as it looks so promising.
if a team of dedicated artists/scenario programmers (mappers)/sound guys wanted to climb on board I'd consider turning back to it once I published the games I'm currently working on

This doesn't even scratch the surface (okay well yeah it does scratch the surface but just that) of what was planned for the game. Who you ended up selecting for your party would have numerous impacts on what you could do and where you could go, etc

it was pretty neat
NaomiMinette
Meanwhile, S4 stuffs

That's like... my childhood... I seriously gotta wonder what they plan on doing.
Jarby
I can take care of sound. The sort of jaunty stuff used in MLP wouldn't be too hard to reimagine. See if Quaraezha is up for doing art.
Quaraezha
I can do user interfaces in Photoshop. But I don't have Illustrator to draw the Ponies.
awp
something to keep in mind is that it would be several thousand images (I'm guessing around 500-600 images per main character, 50-100ish for most enemies) of animation
Jarby
Actually, I do wonder how much of a good idea it is to keep a pony theme considering what happened to Fighting is Magic.
show more