forum

Ponies

posted
Total Posts
show more
ztrot
that is much sooner than I thought it would be to be honest with you :3
NaomiMinette
I'm still wondering when the movie/spin-off will be...

EDIT: This is apparently gonna be used as the ending (more info here; SOMEONE FIND THE FULL SONG, NAO!):

EDIT2: Here's the full song: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyax63 ... UqSzFfX6Rh
ztrot
I'm not impressed q.q
Kyonko Hizara

Blazevoir wrote:

I'm still wondering when the movie/spin-off will be...

EDIT: This is apparently gonna be used as the ending (more info here; SOMEONE FIND THE FULL SONG, NAO!):

EDIT2: Here's the full song: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyax63 ... UqSzFfX6Rh
Please no
jjrocks

I don't even know what to say...god that was amazing.
NaomiMinette

jjrocks wrote:

I don't even know what to say...god that was amazing.
Oh... dammit, I KNEW I forgot to watch something today... Guess I'll just watch it tomorrow.
Quaraezha
Mane6 has revealed silhouettes of their new characters for the game that Lauren has designed.

They also released new information regarding the Skullgirls Engine and it's pretty fucking rad.

http://www.mane6.com/2013/03/skullgirls ... easer.html

Although the indiegogo is still about 200k short and there's just a week left.
ztrot
in osu related pony news quara and myself finally got the TS skin out t/123845

Edit: 3,500th post whooo
Quaraezha
Emphasis on "finally"
ztrot
it came...... with time
awp
Congrats on getting that out

I was looking at the skullgirls kickstarter stuff and

It should not cost that much to develop a character for a game. It should cost that much to make a game.

$10,000 certification fee is fucking retarded and a clear indication you should take your business to a platform with less arcane distribution methods

and how does it cost 2 grand to develop a (presumably dynamic) hitbox I could do that in an afternoon
Quaraezha
Considering Skullgirls' complex engine, I guess it'll involve a lot of testing and shiot to make sure that everything's balanced out and perfect.
Ekaru
awp
:|

Ekaru wrote:

Dear awp,

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/the-l ... 1100-4587/

Sincerely,
WHEEEEEEEEE

That puts the cost of just getting the sprites done anywhere from 40k-60k USD. Keep in mind this will take time, and while you’re waiting for the art to get back from the outsourcer you’re still paying salaries, rent, internet, insurance, etc., so sunk cost for just the art itself is probably gonna net out to 90k USD.
this "sunk cost" is "idle time we don't know how to budget activity for"

it's poor management is what it is

Fighting games are unique in that they require a fuckload of balance precision (this is where QA comes in). The rest of it is bloated.

Every studio has their own cost structure but you can safely assume each individual game developer costs their studio around 10k per month (including rent, insurance, etc.).
Where the fuck are they getting these numbers? Developers do not get paid 120k a year unless they're seniors/managers (even that seems like a stretch to me) and video game developers get paid less than developers of high-risk high-skill things like the finance sector, where a "whoopsie" can cost millions of dollars.

And "including rent" - what kind of company pays its employees rent? I've never heard of a software development company doing that. I don't think Google even does that.

Are they talking about office rent? Because that has nothing to do with "each individual game developer"

that article reeks of bullshit
ztrot
lol I'm still gasming over my TS skin still
Ekaru
Oh, the article doesn't explain it very well. Both of those people are related to Capcom, and Capcom is... yeaaaah. Let me try since they've elaborated on this quite a bit on another forum, since a lot of people had the same response as you.

First of all they are basically paying 8 staff members just above minimum wage for over 2 months. That's the first $48K. There's a list of their staff somewhere out there but IIRC it'd be really hard to call it bloated once you saw it.

The Animation Contracting is because due to the game's art style they need 1500+ separate, high quality drawings done in a timely fashion. Lab Zero's art people are either working with the contractors or contributing to the cause themselves. Or doing clean-up or whatever it is artists do.

For the hitboxes they're contracting the dude who did them for the past 8 characters. You have to do them by hand if you want them done right, and each frame in Skullgirls has quite a few hitboxes for accuracy. So that's 1500 frames where the dude has to go through and carefully add in all the hitboxes. Say it takes him two weeks to do a perfect job. That's $2k of wages right there.

'Course, then you have $7K eaten up for the voices - I have no explanation for that one - and another what, $60+K for QA, fees, and rewards?

So yeah, most of it is either miscellaneous stuff or art. Apparently they have more stuff to do than the DLC, too, like the PC version and other stuff. Thankfully they aren't charging for the DLC, which is good since we're more or less paying for their existence. :P
ztrot
well as neat as that is skullgirls isn't really related to pony in anyway more than just a possible what if and connection from miss faust I.E Fighting is Magic atm still, interesting to hear about tho
NaomiMinette
Bit of info about the Japanese dub - Pinkie's voice (and a bit of Twilight's):

Hoo, boy...
awp

Ekaru wrote:

First of all they are basically paying 8 staff members just above minimum wage for over 2 months. That's the first $48K.
8 staff * 2 months = 16 person-months. ~4 weeks per month = 64 person-weeks. ~40 hours/week = 2560 hours

$48,000 / 2560 hours = 18.75 $/hr

not exactly minimum wage
Jarby

awp wrote:

Ekaru wrote:

First of all they are basically paying 8 staff members just above minimum wage for over 2 months. That's the first $48K.
8 staff * 2 months = 16 person-months. ~4 weeks per month = 64 person-weeks. ~40 hours/week = 2560 hours

$48,000 / 2560 hours = 18.75 $/hr

not exactly minimum wage
It's not much of a stretch for trained employees to be paid that much, is it? Minimum wage here for adults working full time is $15.96 per hour or $606.40 per week. I don't really know what the pay rate in that area is for trained work and the cost in living in relation to minimum wage.
MoonShade

Blazevoir wrote:

Bit of info about the Japanese dub - Pinkie's voice (and a bit of Twilight's):

Hoo, boy...
And the price for the first country ever to get good voice actors for a MLP translation and with that, not spitting into the face of the original show and ruining them for all members of that country goes to... Japan!

Srsly imo they should make a good translation or just don't show it at all.
NaomiMinette
Well... we still need to hear the other voices first, but I'm DEFINITELY looking forward to Celestia's *w*

Now I wonder what they'll do with the songs...
awp

Jarby wrote:

It's not much of a stretch for trained employees to be paid that much, is it?
Minimum wage around here is about 8 bucks, maybe 8.50. In San Fran (which is where they're located I think?) Minimum wage is $10.50

It's not a stretch for trained employees to be paid that much at all. But don't call it "barely above minimum wage" when it's nearly double

If they want transparency (which is what the CFO stated) then they shouldn't clutter it behind a bunch of misleading statements and falsehoods

though this is very much the wrong thread to be pointing it out I suppose
NaomiMinette
Not sure if I like the JP dub's OP (starts at 0:34):

Anyway, MARK YOUR CALENDAR!
Quaraezha
I think it sounds nice. But this is me after watching too much Pretty Cure.
NaomiMinette
To be honest I was hoping it'd be along the lines of the Italian version's OP, but we'll see.
Kyonko Hizara
Definately better than the ending
NaomiMinette
Now if only the song's title was revealed so I can try to find it...
MoonShade
Maybe the opening for Japanese season 2 will be cooler :)
xRayne

Blazevoir wrote:

To be honest I was hoping it'd be along the lines of the Italian version's OP, but we'll see.
The video was okay, but the Italian OP is the best~
NaomiMinette
Totally relevant to what's going on right now (and soon to come):

EDIT: Double Rainboom premieres tomorrow!
xRayne

Blazevoir wrote:

Double Rainboom premieres tomorrow!
GOD YES.
<3
I know what I'm watching when getting home from work *-*
Ekaru
@Blaze: FUYU NO OWARI, FUYU NO OWARI

@awp: Oops. Still a pretty bad wage for people living in San Fran, since that place is expensive. That said, they got $829,829 in funding so they better get themselves financially independent by the time they run out of that. >_>
NaomiMinette
Figured I'd leave this here:

Possible future episode

If it's hard to see, it says:

Bird Cat: is it okay if i can ask both of you a question?

Meghan McCarthy: Depends on the question. If I answer it means u can. If I don't answer it means u can't.

Bird Cat: ok do you know if their is an episode that talks about disabilities?

Meghan McCarthy: Yes.
Anyway, here's Double Rainboom:

OMG that Cartoon Network crossover *w*
Quaraezha
Katawa Uma
Silverboxer
ztrot
That was pretty darn good for a fan animation, crossovers are usally hard to pull off but bring pinkie pie into the mix and everything somehow makes sense :P
NaomiMinette
Well... this was interesting (especially considering I don't like rap):

xRayne

Blazevoir wrote:

Anyway, here's Double Rainboom:

OMG that Cartoon Network crossover *w*
All my childhood *-*
That was so refreshing and amazing <3
ztrot
lets hope fan content stays this way to help us through the drought
show more