forum

Ponies

posted
Total Posts
show more
VIDgamefrk9

jjrocks wrote:

This happens every few months or so. It'll be back to pure pony content pretty soon. That's not to say that these discussions are bad, they are bound to happen and sometimes for the better. Heck, it was one of these discussions with ztrot on vent that got me into the show in the first place (I love you ztrot <3). But we'll be back to pony content soon
sorry about the discussion that followed the first comment I made on this thread, I just didn't understand very well. But then again, I never really do
ztrot
the jp dub is pumping up quite a bit of hype there is even talk of reworking the songs only time will tell~
NaomiMinette
They're supposedly announcing the last two seiyuus this month, too. Wonder who they're gonna be~ (Rather, who's gonna be voicing Celestia, Luna, etc.?)

Also, if they do rework the songs, I hope they're still as catchy as the originals or better.
Ekaru

ztrot wrote:

the jp dub is pumping up quite a bit of hype there is even talk of reworking the songs only time will tell~
There's enough hype that a group's gonna sub it, right? :P
NaomiMinette
Screw subs, this'll be a legit reason to start watching something RAW :P

...In all seriousness though, I just hope the script for the dub isn't completely different.

Starry-

Blazevoir wrote:

So how about the movie, the spin-off series, or the Japanese dub /o/
i haven't into ponies as much recently just because this is a season transition, but THERE'S A MOVIE? EH?
Miracle Lotus
19:03 Miracle Lotus: ztrot brought cancer to osu
19:03 ztrot: Thank you Miracle_Lotus
19:03 Miracle Lotus: np ztrot
19:03 ztrot: I brought in two waves of cancer tho thank you
19:03 ztrot: nightcore and ponies
NaomiMinette

Starzd wrote:

Blazevoir wrote:

So how about the movie, the spin-off series, or the Japanese dub /o/
i haven't into ponies as much recently just because this is a season transition, but THERE'S A MOVIE? EH?
Well... considering Season 3 ended sooner compared to the past two AND Season 4 will have a full 26 epis... :P

Actually, the above probably doesn't have any relevance as to why there's gonna be a movie, but it was mentioned on EqD.
awp
The spinoff is creepy. At first I was a bit jostled to see they're keeping their colours, so now you have blue and orange and pink humans, but they kept their horns/wings too. That's always struck me as odd. I'm not sure if the spinoff will have as much imagination or charm as FiM though
NaomiMinette

awp wrote:

The spinoff is creepy. At first I was a bit jostled to see they're keeping their colours, so now you have blue and orange and pink humans, but they kept their horns/wings too. That's always struck me as odd. I'm not sure if the spinoff will have as much imagination or charm as FiM though
Just as long as it doesn't turn into "another teen show", I don't really care much about the spin-off; I'll just pass it off if it turns out bad. If it somehow ends up being just as good as the main series, Hasbro can have ALL my bits money.

Anyway... ANOTHER ANTHOLOGY IS COMING, WHOO!

xRayne
Came across one of Ztrots maps. Saw ponies on it, wondered what the fuck was going on. Played map.
Fell in love <3 8-)
Unbr34k4bl3
Bananas are cooler :/
NaomiMinette
awp
Super Metroid was the best Ponies anthology
NaomiMinette
Just thought I'd leave this here for anyone interested in Cave Story: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/03/p ... es_16.html
awp
I was excited at first but that's kind of ugly tbh
MoonShade
Thought you might like that :)

By the way I'm heading to this years GalaCon in Germany, someone here with me? Hm welp probably not, grmgrm...
NaomiMinette
They shouldn't have used the fandub, but other than that I really enjoyed that video :)

Anyway, I dunno if anyone's interested in this, but I'll just leave this here: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/03/h ... eport.html

EDIT: More info on the Japanese dub! http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/03/m ... y-dub.html

Mfw Celestia's seiyuu is Belldandy from Aa! Megami-sama!
awp
are they going to nerf the framerate for the Japanese version?
NaomiMinette
If they're trying to lipsync, maybe. At any rate, I'm extremely excited for their version of the opening.

I already loved the Italian one
Turn on Captions (CC) for subs!

MoonShade
NaomiMinette
Well... so much for S4 being during Fall, but anyway....
ztrot
that is much sooner than I thought it would be to be honest with you :3
NaomiMinette
I'm still wondering when the movie/spin-off will be...

EDIT: This is apparently gonna be used as the ending (more info here; SOMEONE FIND THE FULL SONG, NAO!):

EDIT2: Here's the full song: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyax63 ... UqSzFfX6Rh
ztrot
I'm not impressed q.q
Kyonko Hizara

Blazevoir wrote:

I'm still wondering when the movie/spin-off will be...

EDIT: This is apparently gonna be used as the ending (more info here; SOMEONE FIND THE FULL SONG, NAO!):

EDIT2: Here's the full song: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyax63 ... UqSzFfX6Rh
Please no
jjrocks

I don't even know what to say...god that was amazing.
NaomiMinette

jjrocks wrote:

I don't even know what to say...god that was amazing.
Oh... dammit, I KNEW I forgot to watch something today... Guess I'll just watch it tomorrow.
Quaraezha
Mane6 has revealed silhouettes of their new characters for the game that Lauren has designed.

They also released new information regarding the Skullgirls Engine and it's pretty fucking rad.

http://www.mane6.com/2013/03/skullgirls ... easer.html

Although the indiegogo is still about 200k short and there's just a week left.
ztrot
in osu related pony news quara and myself finally got the TS skin out t/123845

Edit: 3,500th post whooo
Quaraezha
Emphasis on "finally"
ztrot
it came...... with time
awp
Congrats on getting that out

I was looking at the skullgirls kickstarter stuff and

It should not cost that much to develop a character for a game. It should cost that much to make a game.

$10,000 certification fee is fucking retarded and a clear indication you should take your business to a platform with less arcane distribution methods

and how does it cost 2 grand to develop a (presumably dynamic) hitbox I could do that in an afternoon
Quaraezha
Considering Skullgirls' complex engine, I guess it'll involve a lot of testing and shiot to make sure that everything's balanced out and perfect.
Ekaru
awp
:|

Ekaru wrote:

Dear awp,

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/the-l ... 1100-4587/

Sincerely,
WHEEEEEEEEE

That puts the cost of just getting the sprites done anywhere from 40k-60k USD. Keep in mind this will take time, and while you’re waiting for the art to get back from the outsourcer you’re still paying salaries, rent, internet, insurance, etc., so sunk cost for just the art itself is probably gonna net out to 90k USD.
this "sunk cost" is "idle time we don't know how to budget activity for"

it's poor management is what it is

Fighting games are unique in that they require a fuckload of balance precision (this is where QA comes in). The rest of it is bloated.

Every studio has their own cost structure but you can safely assume each individual game developer costs their studio around 10k per month (including rent, insurance, etc.).
Where the fuck are they getting these numbers? Developers do not get paid 120k a year unless they're seniors/managers (even that seems like a stretch to me) and video game developers get paid less than developers of high-risk high-skill things like the finance sector, where a "whoopsie" can cost millions of dollars.

And "including rent" - what kind of company pays its employees rent? I've never heard of a software development company doing that. I don't think Google even does that.

Are they talking about office rent? Because that has nothing to do with "each individual game developer"

that article reeks of bullshit
ztrot
lol I'm still gasming over my TS skin still
Ekaru
Oh, the article doesn't explain it very well. Both of those people are related to Capcom, and Capcom is... yeaaaah. Let me try since they've elaborated on this quite a bit on another forum, since a lot of people had the same response as you.

First of all they are basically paying 8 staff members just above minimum wage for over 2 months. That's the first $48K. There's a list of their staff somewhere out there but IIRC it'd be really hard to call it bloated once you saw it.

The Animation Contracting is because due to the game's art style they need 1500+ separate, high quality drawings done in a timely fashion. Lab Zero's art people are either working with the contractors or contributing to the cause themselves. Or doing clean-up or whatever it is artists do.

For the hitboxes they're contracting the dude who did them for the past 8 characters. You have to do them by hand if you want them done right, and each frame in Skullgirls has quite a few hitboxes for accuracy. So that's 1500 frames where the dude has to go through and carefully add in all the hitboxes. Say it takes him two weeks to do a perfect job. That's $2k of wages right there.

'Course, then you have $7K eaten up for the voices - I have no explanation for that one - and another what, $60+K for QA, fees, and rewards?

So yeah, most of it is either miscellaneous stuff or art. Apparently they have more stuff to do than the DLC, too, like the PC version and other stuff. Thankfully they aren't charging for the DLC, which is good since we're more or less paying for their existence. :P
ztrot
well as neat as that is skullgirls isn't really related to pony in anyway more than just a possible what if and connection from miss faust I.E Fighting is Magic atm still, interesting to hear about tho
NaomiMinette
Bit of info about the Japanese dub - Pinkie's voice (and a bit of Twilight's):

Hoo, boy...
show more