forum

Ponies

posted
Total Posts
show more
GladiOol

theowest wrote:

VIDgamefrk9 wrote:

I don't get bronies or any of this pony business. this is just a bit much for me, I am sorry if I have offended someone here
So why did you even post that here. :v
because normal people are still trying to figure out why people would watch ponies.
Jordan

VIDgamefrk9 wrote:

I don't get bronies or any of this pony business. this is just a bit much for me, I am sorry if I have offended someone here
Gosh, I agree...
Bweh
I just figured it's a phase
NaomiMinette
We like what we like. There's no need to get why we like MLP (though if you do start watching it, I hope it's out of curiosity instead of someone forcing you to watch it).
GladiOol
Such inspirational words, they need to remembered forever...

awp

GladiOol wrote:

because normal people are still trying to figure out why people would watch ponies.
the thing is, everyone is weird, and it takes some people longer to realize that than others
xRayne

GladiOol wrote:

Such inspirational words, they need to remembered forever...

All my love.

Blazevoir wrote:

In other news: MLP Monopoly, whoo!
We know Rarity would just ninja the money and make more dresses...
VIDgamefrk9

Blazevoir wrote:

We like what we like. There's no need to get why we like MLP (though if you do start watching it, I hope it's out of curiosity instead of someone forcing you to watch it).
Not trying to be rude here, but from what I heard, people who don't have friends watch that because it helps them feel like they have friends, particularly autistic people, such as me. I am not hating on autistic people, because I actually still have some trouble making genuine friends outside of work. But seriously I think grown men watching that is completely absurd.
Ekaru

VIDgamefrk9 wrote:

Blazevoir wrote:

Not trying to be rude here, but from what I heard, people who don't have friends watch that because it helps them feel like they have friends, particularly autistic people, such as me. I am not hating on autistic people, because I actually still have some trouble making genuine friends outside of work. But seriously I think grown men watching that is completely absurd.
...I have friends. Fuck off.

I watch ponies because I think the show is good. You may disagree. That is fine. However, there's a difference between expressing curiosity/wondering why people would watch this show and being an asshole, and what you just said is firmly in the "being an asshole" category.
GladiOol

awp wrote:

GladiOol wrote:

the thing is, everyone is weird, and it takes some people longer to realize that than others
well duh, everybody has their weird ticks and what not. but that's not what I care about. i'm just curious as to why a grown man would watch a show for little girls.
silmarilen
i find it (MLP) funny

problem?
Kanye West

silmarilen wrote:

i find it (MLP) funny

problem?
yeah i have a problem

fite me irl
awp

GladiOol wrote:

awp wrote:

well duh, everybody has their weird ticks and what not. but that's not what I care about. i'm just curious as to why a grown man would watch a show for little girls.
but that question could be applied directly to anything else

Touhou: I wonder why grown men enjoy playing games about little girls in granny hats

Furries: I wonder why people dress up in fursuits and pretend they're animals, some taking it to a sexual level (circle the wagons back to MLP, heyoooooo)

Pokemon: Why do grown men and women like a franchise intended as a commercial vehicle to soak every last cent off of impressionable children

because everyone is weird and we all enjoy different things

A child is someone who is told what to enjoy

An adult is someone who decides for him/herself what to enjoy.

If anyone here chose not to enjoy (or to stop enjoying) something because someone else told them to, that someone would be a pussy. idk about anyone else, but I'm no pussy.

Ekaru wrote:

VIDgamefrk9 wrote:

...I have friends. Fuck off.
by taking offense to that you're observing an unstated fallacy.

He didn't say that only people who don't have friends watch it. It's not a mutually exclusive observation.

It's all in your head
Ekaru

awp wrote:

by taking offense to that you're observing an unstated fallacy.

He didn't say that only people who don't have friends watch it. It's not a mutually exclusive observation.

It's all in your head
...Oops.
Quaraezha
I guess the issue here is why some weird people weirder than others.
ztrot
Oh well it isn't going anywhere anytime soon and when the jap dub drops you are gonna have japan bronys everywhere :D
GladiOol
awp, again, no shit sherlock.

just because we ''all enjoy different things'', doesn't mean you don't have to explain yourself for it. if i go around running naked through the streets while screaming: ''i love baked eggs and slapping fat women'' then it's really common sense that a person would come up to me and say: ''dude, the fuck.''

im not saying watching mlp is equivalent to my lovely example here, but im hoping, really hoping, you do understand a confusion stirring up when one watches a show for little girls and becomes entirely hyped about it. and im just wondering why. saying everybody is weird in their own way is true, but that's simply avoiding the question.

and no, answering it with ''we like what we like, we don't know why, we just do'' is again avoiding the question. i can explain why i like certain series as well, say Game of Thrones for example, so im kinda guessing you are capable of doing the same.
Shiro

GladiOol wrote:

becomes entirely hyped about it
This is what needs to be answered, not "why do you like this show". Not all tastes can be explained, and even if they could, they are subjective, so the person who's being explained is probably going to disagree with one or more points and thus not understand despite the clear explanation.

it's my first post in this thread, amen
NaomiMinette
A lot of us like the show because of the characters. Another reason is because a lot of the episodes (yes, I'll admit some are just meh or just fillers, so to speak) actually tell a lesson we can all learn from. As to why it's so hyped up, I have no idea.
GladiOol

Shiro wrote:

GladiOol wrote:

becomes entirely hyped about it
This is what needs to be answered, not "why do you like this show". Not all tastes can be explained, and even if they could, they are subjective, so the person who's being explained is probably going to disagree with one or more points and thus not understand despite the clear explanation.

it's my first post in this thread, amen
well naturally taste is subjective, however every show can be looked upon with an objective view as well. i haven't watched the show so i am incapable of doing so, however these people are. and that's also what im kind of looking for. why is this show so ''good'' apparently for all these people to watch it.

and why the hell would i disagree on taste, that's pretty fucking retarded.
jjrocks

While I was browsing r/mylittlepony I see this.
What.
What.
Quaraezha
Hey guys, did you hear about the latest season?

I can't wait for this new pony named Discord!

Shiro

GladiOol wrote:

why is this show so ''good'' apparently for all these people to watch it
Well, that's a better question tbh. I'll try to answer, but this is my personal opinion and I'm not even a grown man anyway.

The characters are very well made. They are rather unique (and of course exaggerated in their flaws and qualities, but it's a show made for young children), but still have details that make them worth thinking about - details directly related to their main quality. This is well done in the show and adds a lot to some episodes. They're also really easy to like (I used to hate the shit out of Rarity and Pinkie Pie in the first few episodes, now I love them) and to identify to (Twilight is just like me, that probably helped me get into the show). Even the background characters are interesting (hi Derpy). The animation is mind-blowingly good (and I mean it, Disney does no better) despite a few flaws (anyone remembers the three-legged Cherilee in Winter Wrap Up ?). The graphics are very pleasant (that's linked to the animation - the curves and colours help too). The episodes are generally quite fun, even though the storyline is quite boring (I mean yeah, who would study friendship ?) but that's because it was meant for young children. And finally, the music is top tier (really), I feel in love with nearly every song I heard there, and it's well used in the show and goes very well with the rest of the episodes.

And to be honest, I think the surprise helped. I'm sure a lot of people who like the show were reluctant to watch it at first, and were talked into doing so by friends who loved it (hi ztrot <3). They all (me included) expected to watch a shallow, boring and horribly done animated show for kids. What they get is a surprisingly well done show for kids, yes, but that has details and jokes meant for older people as well.

That's just my 2 cents. I hope it helps you understand a bit more. Other people might feel differently though.
NaomiMinette
I don't love all the songs, but yeah... Shiro pretty much said everything on how I feel about the show (though in my case, I watched it out of my own curiosity *stares at the Mine Little Pony Minecraft mod*).
Yuzeyun
Definitely the same as Shiro. God dammit this speaks truth. I used to be pretty reluctant and what got me into is a pretty... weird story I don't EVEN want to talk about (It's linked to one post I made in the Creepypasta thread)
awp

GladiOol wrote:

just because we ''all enjoy different things'', doesn't mean you don't have to explain yourself for it.
the thing is, you don't. That's a pretty big misconception right there

nobody's entitled to that

Blazevoir wrote:

Another reason is because a lot of the episodes actually tell a lesson we can all learn from. As to why it's so hyped up, I have no idea.
I'm inclined to disagree here because if you've lived as long as I have and haven't already learned the lessons they teach in this show, well, life's pretty much left you behind. It's a bit late for you now. You should have learned this shit by the time you were 12 at the latest.

But close to that point, I do like the subtle metaphors and the child-friendly dressing they put on some episodes which have much darker themes, like domestic violence, alcohol abuse etc.

kind of neat to see them tackle themes like that in a show about colourful ponies. There's a novelty in it
GladiOol

awp wrote:

GladiOol wrote:

just because we ''all enjoy different things'', doesn't mean you don't have to explain yourself for it.
the thing is, you don't. That's a pretty big misconception right there

nobody's entitled to that
well yea, but then you'll always remain ''that fag who watches ponies''.

just like i would be that weird fucking man running around naked screaming i fucking love eggssssss. unless i say it was for a bet, then i won't be anymore.
awp

GladiOol wrote:

well yea, but then you'll always remain ''that fag who watches ponies''.
yeah but quite frankly I'm okay with this, because the people whose opinions I care about already know that, and the people whose opinions I don't care about

well we know where that one's going

re-read my previous post though, I edited to add more stuff without double posting. Might be some light in there
GladiOol
well yea, then you'll indeed stay that pony fag :P

not for me though, i mean, you are fucking awp, god amongst men.
NaomiMinette

awp wrote:

Blazevoir wrote:

Another reason is because a lot of the episodes actually tell a lesson we can all learn from
I'm inclined to disagree here because if you've lived as long as I have and haven't already learned the lessons they teach in this show, well, life's pretty much left you behind. It's a bit late for you now. You should have learned this shit by the time you were 12 at the latest.
Keep in mind I wasn't just referring to the older age group watching this show.
ztrot
mfw you guys acknowledge gladi.
GladiOol

ztrot wrote:

mfw you guys acknowledge gladi.
[23-12-2012 1:56:55] ztrot: I've only been out of the hospital for 2 weeks
[23-12-2012 1:57:13] ztrot: after getting a big ass needle in my chest
[23-12-2012 1:57:21] ztrot: and in two weeks
[23-12-2012 1:57:27] ztrot: I've made all my friends hate me
[23-12-2012 1:57:35] ztrot: vent is abandoned
[23-12-2012 1:58:21] ztrot: called a pony fag for liking a show, and now another friend hates me because I agreed to you being banned for the torney

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

told you not to go this way
Ekaru
Somebody please explain to me why I should honestly give a flying fuck if a stranger and/or someone who I don't care about thinks I'm weird for watching ponies.
awp

Blazevoir wrote:

awp wrote:

Keep in mind I wasn't just referring to the older age group watching this show.
kids watch this show?
ztrot
Shocking enough they do!
Starry-
I thought this thread was to discuss ponies, not to self defend on other people's opinions about bronies. eh
jjrocks
This happens every few months or so. It'll be back to pure pony content pretty soon. That's not to say that these discussions are bad, they are bound to happen and sometimes for the better. Heck, it was one of these discussions with ztrot on vent that got me into the show in the first place (I love you ztrot <3). But we'll be back to pony content soon
NaomiMinette
So how about the movie, the spin-off series, or the Japanese dub /o/
VIDgamefrk9

jjrocks wrote:

This happens every few months or so. It'll be back to pure pony content pretty soon. That's not to say that these discussions are bad, they are bound to happen and sometimes for the better. Heck, it was one of these discussions with ztrot on vent that got me into the show in the first place (I love you ztrot <3). But we'll be back to pony content soon
sorry about the discussion that followed the first comment I made on this thread, I just didn't understand very well. But then again, I never really do
ztrot
the jp dub is pumping up quite a bit of hype there is even talk of reworking the songs only time will tell~
show more