forum

//NIGHTGATE/pro/Minimal, Futuristic, 9 Colors.//

posted
Total Posts
show more
veestire1
I need to wait for non-hd version as my monitor is about 6 years old :/
But from the screenshots i can see that it looks fantastic!
Firinael
The problem with this is, if i release full version with full HD and all colours, i would need to edit ALL 9 VERSIONS of the skin, and that's a hassle. And i feel it needs extra sounds because it feels unfinished and unprofessional...
If it'd be too much of a hassle to update them all, then I think it'd be better to delay the other colors in favor of getting the sounds right.
0Azimuth

-yuo- wrote:

0Azimuth wrote:

I dunno, does it need UI sounds? The default UI sounds are unoffensive and don't clash with the skin. (Plus, if you decided to go back and add UI sounds later, you wouldn't have to REDO any work in all the various versions of the skin - it's a relatively safe late addition)

Maybe start on the other versions and come back if somebody offers up sound skills and ideas?
The problem with this is, if i release full version with full HD and all colours, i would need to edit ALL 9 VERSIONS of the skin, and that's a hassle. And i feel it needs extra sounds because it feels unfinished and unprofessional...
That's fair. Shame you can't just have a package that adds sounds to the currently installed skin (instead of having to repack the full skin nine times). I'm biased because I'm more hyped for the other colors you have planned than for menu sounds.

Could you, perhaps, maintain just one version, but have the alternate colors as options in the skin's Preferences folder? It would dramatically increase file size (and hurt your beautiful download options box at current), I suppose...
h3oCharles
*ANSWER TO THE POLL*

I think you should also skin taiko/catch/mania before you release

Firinael wrote:

If it'd be too much of a hassle to update them all, then I think it'd be better to delay the other colors in favor of getting the sounds right.
Why not just give everyone PSD files and let them color themselves? Or set up some sort of generator software?
0Azimuth

TheMadCharles wrote:

Firinael wrote:

Why not just give everyone PSD files and let them color themselves? Or set up some sort of generator software?
I mean, people could recolor their skins even without the PSD files, if they felt so inclined. Setting up some sort of generator software is more work, I'd wager. I'm a bit of a hypocrite, since I'm also offering up suggestions, but I think both of those don't really solve the problem.
xi9w
dude i love the new update! can't wait for mania skinned!
Topic Starter
-yuo-
REPLY TO CURRENT CONVERSATION

Thanks for the opinions and suggestions!
Does a base and patch system sound ok? You would download a base file and a patch file. The patch contains colours and the base contains static items. (as in, not changing between versions). Problem with this is, some people may not understand how to operate this. Tutorials are more work to do, and can sometimes be a hassle to view and 'do' the tutorial...
The program idea sounds nice, but i don't know how to code or make 'UI' apps....
We should analyse the problem that needs to be fixed, so we know what we're actually trying to fix
I guess the main problem here is my skills, time (which is extremely limited), people waiting and user friendliness...
While we cant really solve the waiting, I say we're finding a solution to getting highest quality, and easy customisation in little time is the best...
User friendliness is essential, it should work on most standard size screens, minimal programs required to use and yeh. Some people don't have photoshop, and everyone finds editing 100+ files to change the colour of a skin a hassle...
A collab would be a great, GREAT help, it could fill in some skills i don't have... anyone?
So far so good, but the problems aren't really solved. Any more suggestions?
(no offence, your suggestions are great! we build upon them, not trash them. -And 0Azimuth, don't worry about being biased, a consumer opinion is great!)

'Personal Message' - xi9w

xi9w wrote:

dude i love the new update! can't wait for mania skinned!
Cool! soz but please wait... I'm at a bottleneck in my workload...
'Personal Message' - Veestire

Veestire wrote:

I need to wait for non-hd version as my monitor is about 6 years old :/
But from the screenshots i can see that it looks fantastic!
Awww... yeh, i'm trying to get it done asap... Thanks for waiting!
h3oCharles
Patch system is ok I think. Even if people don't have photoshop, there's GIMP and Paint.NET, there should be plenty of tutorials on basic layering and colorizing, so I don't see a huge problem in that.
Software, on the other hand, I can't program either, but that would be the most user-friendly solution IMO.

-yuo- wrote:

A collab would be a great, GREAT help, it could fill in some skills I don't have... anyone?
I might be able to do SD (scaling down from HD), but I don't wanna do it in the middle of your work and/or find some sounds that you can choose from. Also, grab WubWoofWolf's v1.5, there might be some there

EDIT1: Let me get my feedback. Obviously (or not) all of this is my opinion, you may argue however you want, I'll not change it

I found a good workover for HD, use 1280x800 (16:10) or 1440x900 (8:5, not available) letterboxed if you don't have a 1080p monitor. This is what I'll be using

Things that I don't like:
Cursor:
- It doesn't expand on clicking, but the light does
- Trail isn't a solid line

Song screen:
- When starting a song, the UI gets glitchy (which I understand)
- I don't like that there are acronyms there, not so newbie friendly
- the border and song thumbnail aren't aligned properly (look at the bottom line)
- Back button isn't labeled
- osu!cookie is covered

Gameplay:
- Miss is taken from your Sky skin (WIP in nutshell)
- Warning arrows are too small for my taste
- You should add more variants of reverse arrows: Two arrows, Full Ring, Arrow in a circle, Arrow in a ring, Reverse symbol, half of ring outside/inside/on border of slider
- Spinner looks nice, but I it's too aesthetic for the "pros" IMO
- Speaking of the spinner, the glow might trigger epilepsy people
- It would've been nice for dots and bigger numbers
- Hit bursts just demand a number in the green color (300,100,50) and not a dot. Also centered and above cursor
- Did you know that you could also skin the leaderboard numbers? It's scoreentry-XYZ or sth like that. It's in Seouless' v7, which you can get through Cookiezi's user page
- Score bar should have a line that marks off 100%
- Combo colors should be changed to shades of green, that red and purple seems off with this green and black theme
- Countdown seems too small for my liking
- Small ranking letters should have the same color as the entire theme
- Too bad you can't change the pie color :/

Ranking:
- Back button should[?] touch with graph
- Ranking letters are too small, they should be about 3 times bigger than text
- letters "SC" aren't lined up to the score
Firinael
If sounds seem to be too much of a hassle, you could always ask Garin for the menu sounds of his YUGEN skin. They're pretty neat hehe and simple. Could fit in quite well, I think.

Edit: I'd like to add some stuff to what TheMadCharles said, actually.

TheMadCharles wrote:

Cursor:
- It doesn't expand on clicking, but the light does
- Trail isn't a solid line
- The cursor just doesn't really fit the skin's theme of dark and flat aesthetics. It looks cool, yeah, but it just stands out too much as something that looks like it came from another skin.

TheMadCharles wrote:

Song screen:
- When starting a song, the UI gets glitchy (which I understand)
- the border and song thumbnail aren't aligned properly (look at the bottom line)
- osu!cookie is covered
- The acronyms are not bad IMO, since it's easy to make out what each means if you have minimal familiarity with the game.
- Also the border and song alignment is small but it's one of those "can't unsee" things so it'd probably be better to fix it asap.
- An acronym could be added to the back button when you hover over it or something so that it'd be labeled but still would maintain the overall feel of the skin. Also regarding the back button: that blue line on top of the back button when you hover over it seems kind of out of place, especially since when you hover over the other buttons (options, random, etc) they don't have that blue line.
- osu!cookie being covered I think is inevitable. Haven't seen a skin that managed to get past that yet.

TheMadCharles wrote:

Gameplay:
- Miss is taken from your Sky skin (WIP in nutshell)
- Warning arrows are too small for my taste
- You should add more variants of reverse arrows: Two arrows, Full Ring, Arrow in a circle, Arrow in a ring, Reverse symbol, half of ring outside/inside/on border of slider
- Spinner looks nice, but I it's too aesthetic for the "pros" IMO
- Speaking of the spinner, the glow might trigger epilepsy people
- It would've been nice for dots and bigger numbers
- Hit bursts just demand a number in the green color (300,100,50) and not a dot. Also centered and above cursor
- Did you know that you could also skin the leaderboard numbers? It's scoreentry-XYZ or sth like that. It's in Seouless' v7, which you can get through Cookiezi' userpage
- Scorebar should have a line that marks off 100%
- Combo colors should be changed to shades of green, that red and purple seems off with this green and black theme
- Countdown seems too small for my liking
- Small ranking letters should have the same color as the entire theme
- Too bad you can't change the pie color :/
- hit0 being taken from the Sky skin might be a result of the skin being WIP but it still should be noted that the miss shouldn't occupy that much space for a pro skin. Right now missing with this skin is even worse because the miss effect is pretty distracting and might cause you to miss more stuff.
- More reverse arrow variants is a really good idea, but if it's too much trouble it might be better to put it aside in favor of prioritizing other stuff.
- A simple spinner is included under the "preferences" folder that comes with the skin.
- As for the spinner glow: just adding a blank spinner glow file to the preferences folder should be good enough.
- Bigger dots and numbers is preference, maybe you could enlarge them with Photoshop and upload it to save -yuo- some time?
- Dots for hitbursts is better because they're less distracting, but again, it's preference. On the subject of hitbursts could we have smaller hitbursts as well? In clearer colors? Because I can't tell from a 100hit or a 50hit with the current hitbursts.
- As for the scorebard having a line that marks off 100%... What do you mean by that, TheMadCharles?
- Countdown being too small is the same as the bigger dots and numbers, just enlarging them and uploading for -yuo- to add to the preferences folder would solve it.
- As for the small ranking letters, I think the contrary. It'd be better to have larger versions of them show up on the scoreboard, since just having one color for every ranking looks pretty meh. Also having "S+" for SH is pretty weird.
- Combo colors IMO shouldn't be changed to shades of green because they wouldn't stand off enough. But yeah the red and purple look off. Maybe using white, grey, or maybe the shade of blue used on the back button hover would be good?

TheMadCharles wrote:

Ranking:
- Back button should[?] touch with graph
- Ranking letters are too small, they should be about 3 times bigger than text
- https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/7262781etters "SC" aren't lined up to the score
- Same stuff as before with the acronyms, maybe just add one more letter to the acronyms... "scr" for score, "cmb" for combo and "acc" for accuracy should look better.
- Back button touching with graph isn't really necessary IMO, it looks good as is.
- "sc" not being lined up is another "can't unsee".
- Back button not being labeled is same as before: maybe add an acronym at best. Just adding "back" would look pretty off.

And adding to the "can't unsee" pool, the blue bar above the ranking tab isn't lined up as well. https://puu.sh/tSOtZ/3cc04e3686.png

Edit 2: I forgot to mention that the sliderb and sliderfollowcircle elements look kind of out of place as well.

Edit 3: forgot to mention that the followpoints look pretty off. Like, they look kinda blocky or something, they just don't seem smooth. It'd probably be better to borrow another skin's followpoints. Also, if you could maybe edit this https://puu.sh/tSU76/17ca27c3a9.png hitcircle to be a bit more transparent and maybe increase the resolution, it'd look way better than the current ring hitcircle options. I can't because I'm shit at paint.net. :(

Edit 4: https://puu.sh/tSUZG/92205bd0d7.png - don't know if it's like that with every skin but seems like the scoreboard is a bit too short.
h3oCharles

Firinael wrote:

- osu!cookie being covered I think is inevitable. Haven't seen a skin that managed to get past that yet.
Why not just a simple fade-out? Or a diagonal line next to it?

Firinael wrote:

- Bigger dots and numbers is preference, maybe you could enlarge them with Photoshop and upload it to save -yuo- some time?

- Countdown being too small is the same as the bigger dots and numbers, just enlarging them and uploading for -yuo- to add to the preferences folder would solve it.
I don't want to upscale because I'll end up making it very blurry. I use Cubic Interpolation in GIMP 2.8

Firinael wrote:

- As for the scorebar having a line that marks off 100%... What do you mean by that, TheMadCharles?
Make the scorebar a rectangle or put 100% on its right side, just like in Sky
Firinael

TheMadCharles wrote:

Why not just a simple fade-out? Or a diagonal line next to it?
https://puu.sh/tTYq8/a89d37044c.png there's a blue line that would stand out if you didn't skin it. Also, the cookie expands, so you can't really draw anything up to it since it'd show over the cookie when expanded or wouldn't reach the cookie when not expanded.

TheMadCharles wrote:

I don't want to upscale it because I'll end up making it very blurry. I use Cubic Interpolation in GIMP 2.8
Welp, then we're both pretty much useless lol

TheMadCharles wrote:

Make the scorebar a rectangle or put 100% on its right side, just like in Sky.
Oh, right, I see what you mean now. But, I mean, there's already a darker bar on top of the HP bar that shows what's the limit. https://puu.sh/tTYTM/cbc0fdf634.png
EternalNinja
Dude its so cool!!! Please notify me or message if Blue is available <3
-Redya-
i'm still resizing your skin manually by myself and testing your skin '-')b
i hope you can update for SD version ^^)/
Topic Starter
-yuo-

-Redya- wrote:

i'm still resizing your skin manually by myself and testing your skin '-')b
i hope you can update for SD version ^^)/
Uhhhh thanks a lot but don't waste your time, i can automatically resize them all at once using photoshop batch processing.

Sorry for inactivity guys, I got a load homework. A detailed reply to your comments will come soon.
Firinael
Just noticed that the hitcircle overlay is a bit too thin. https://puu.sh/tWro5/0ae836b25f.png
Marko
All I can say is your page layout is sexy
Lazer
as futuristic lazer i approve skin
Topic Starter
-yuo-
REPLY TO THE MASSIVE ESSAYS
You might want to open this and the previous page in two windows so you can refer between them.

Will the idea be implemented?
- deny / neutral
+ accept
= think and experiment - may not appear
# accept, low priority

TheMadCharles
Do you have a link to the skin?
The screen resolution will not matter in the final build. It's the screen ratio that matters.
cursor
- Expansion on clicking is distracting
- Solid trail confuses with circlefollowpoint

Select
- Either the UI is glitch, or the top bar of the SS screen is not skinned. I'd prefer the top to be skinnned
- The skin is targeted for the 'pro' players, newbies will play a bit with the default first before finding out about skins and the acronyms are guessable
= SS song cards are misaligned. I'll try fix, but last time i realised the thumbnail actually moves down about 2 px when clicked onto
- It's not possible to label the back button since it does not have an over image.
- Covered cookie is an unavoidable disadvantage. If not covered, it looks off, and does not scale to other screen ratios

Gameplay
= Miss is based on sky, but its edited. I find bigger miss elements more alerting and make me fix myself up faster, but might add options.
- I found bigger warning arrows distracting, with this skin.
# Reverse arrows are a good idea.
- Simple spinner included. Every element in the spinner contributes to the player being able to spin and recognise it quickly. This was veery hard to design.
- Glow makes the spinner more recognisable. GIves more visual feedback too and it does not flash dramatically so elipsy people should be fine. (not saying will be fine, if you do, use at own risk)
= Dots are included, Bigger numbers were a distraction when prototyped.
= Numbered hitbursts conflict with the circle numbers. They also take longer for your brain to read
+ Havent skinned leaderboard numbers yet. Will do.
- Lifebar does have a line that marks off 100%. Use a higher background dim.
= All green combo colours make it hard to look for the next circle after a colour combo. (edit: I gonna try change them to more vibrant ones)
- Tried bigger countdown, looked weird
- Small rankings all green dont work well. Becomes cluttered and hard to see
- I wish i could change the pie colour

Ranking
- Acronyms are all part of the style, They are guessable and there is a high chance of getting it right.
- Back button not touching has no use, and makes it less 'button'
- Bigger Letters looked weird when prototyping
= I'll look into the "SC" alignment. Could be an illusion tho.
= Havent tried labelling back button on song select, but i'll see how it turns out

Firinael
- I’ve had a hard time with the cursor. I find this one is best. and no it wasn’t taken from another skin.
- Agree with your opinion with the acronyms.
= hard to fix… “SS song cards are misaligned. I'll try fix, but last time i realised the thumbnail actually moves down about 2 px when clicked onto”
- Back button doesn’t have a mouse over image. It cant react to mouse over. Blue line above back is actually from the mode image. The song select is a complicated structure.
- agree with osu!cookie
- —
= “Miss is based on sky, but its edited. I find bigger miss elements more alerting and make me fix myself up faster, but might add options.”
- Yes, thanks. (reverse arrows)
- Yes, a simple spinner is included.
= Yes, thanks. Bigger dots and numbers also looked weird during prototyping.
= Hitbursts were trouble for me too. I found it hard to balance visibility, concentration and the time the mind takes to read it. Bigger dots were too vibrant, smaller dots were hard to see and left you trying to see them instead of playing, and, numbers conflict with the circle numbers subconsciously.
- He probably meant the lifebar, which already has an indicator for 100%.
- Yes, also “Tried bigger countdown, looked weird”
- Yes, coloured small letters are nice. What should i do with “S+”? I think this will be the new standard.
- —
- Two letters are sufficient.
- Yes, agree. It also distinguishes it as a button.
= “I'll look into the "SC" alignment. Could be an illusion tho.”
- —
= Blue line is misaligned and discoloured because its actually part of the mode image. I’ll try align it again, but i had alot of trouble doing that.
=# I’ll see into the followpoints… but do you have any more detail on the problem? I’ll try the new hit circle as a low priority.
- I cant see a problem with the scoreboard.
- —
- Hitcircle overlay is only one pixel off and won’t be noticeable with the included skin.ini.
Topic Starter
-yuo-
REPLIES TO THE CASUAL COMMENTS
Sorry for the timing mess, and the wait.... Been really busy lately with somthing else, which I cant spoil. I'll work on this again after that thing, small VOEZ bugfix update and Sky skin options folder updates. These I have left behind for quite a while.

EternalNinjaRem

EternalNinjaRem wrote:

Dude its so cool!!! Please notify me or message if Blue is available <3
Sure! If i can remember... I don't remember things well...
Marko

Marko wrote:

All I can say is your page layout is sexy
Thanks for that! It's quite hard to make image-based posts...
Lazer

Lazer wrote:

as futuristic lazer i approve skin
Lol, thats kinda funny. Glad a lazer approves a lazer! :)
0Azimuth

-yuo- wrote:

You might want to open this and the previous page in two windows so you can refer between them.
For what it's worth, in reference to their feedback:

* Several of the criticisms that MadCharles or Firinael noted, I actually quite like - you defended most of them anyhow, but I strongly recommend that if you DO replace anything, keep the old version as an option (which, if Mods are an indicator, you appear to plan on doing anyway). The more unique elements of this skin are strong upgrades over the norms, and it's a huge part of why I favor this skin so heavily.
* For example, the dotted cursor trail is genius, and the cursor light on click is likewise amazing - even if either get tweaked, they should stay CONCEPTUALLY the same. The cursor fits the theme perfectly IMO.
* I love the miss currently. It's way less jarring (and subsequently punishing) than default / most.
* I love the stylized warning arrows. Aside from fitting the theme, they're clear indicators without being grossly prominent.
* The spinner is absolutely beautiful, I think the amount of feedback the complex spinner gives makes it worthwhile anyway.
* I actually agree that the various combo colors conflict with the green theme - before this skin, I went pretty exclusively monochrome for that reason. However, I don't think shading every combo color will help - the different color packs will be a good enough fix, I suspect. (There IS a white theme planned, iirc)
Firinael
lol I'm really sorry for writing so much stuff. I know it can be tiring reading all of that. Also, as for the cursor, I just meant that it would fit better on another skin, not that it was actually taken from somewhere else.

Hitbursts: I can understand that, just doesn't fit my personal taste. I can just edit that for personal use.

S+: it does seem to be the new standard, have been seeing people call it that recently. It's weird to me but hey, if that's what everyone calls it now then it's cool. I'd personally prefer a grey S (which was the standard up until some time ago) but there's no need to stress over that.

As for the followpoints: the issue is just something I deal with a lot because of a relatively low resolution monitor. It's 1680x1050 and elements with a higher resolution look serrated, the kind of stuff you'd use antialiasing for. I'll probably just use the SD followpoints when you release them. But I guess the animation is a bit too long? I mean, it looks nice but it's not that useful for gameplay. Might be just personal taste again, so no need to stress over that as well.

ps.: the song select interface seems really poorly designed when it comes to skinning capabilites, probably this kind of stuff that peppy wants to fix with osu!lazer

Also, if it's not too much to ask, could you take a look at this cursor and see if you could make something inspired on it? It's super ok if you don't want to or don't have the time to btw, it's just that I loved the idea you had from the cursor that was in my skin edit (even if it doesn't fit the skin imo) and would like to see what you come up with this time. Here it is: https://puu.sh/u1H43/8c01250b3d.png (it's really simple but imo it looks great).
h3oCharles
You can get WWW v1.5 on his profile
Banbeucmas
For some reason I saw that the grading (A, S, SS) would be perfect with square
Topic Starter
-yuo-
REPLIES

0Azimuth

0Azimuth wrote:

For what it's worth, in reference to their feedback:

* Several of the criticisms that MadCharles or Firinael noted, I actually quite like - you defended most of them anyhow, but I strongly recommend that if you DO replace anything, keep the old version as an option (which, if Mods are an indicator, you appear to plan on doing anyway). The more unique elements of this skin are strong upgrades over the norms, and it's a huge part of why I favor this skin so heavily.
* For example, the dotted cursor trail is genius, and the cursor light on click is likewise amazing - even if either get tweaked, they should stay CONCEPTUALLY the same. The cursor fits the theme perfectly IMO.
* I love the miss currently. It's way less jarring (and subsequently punishing) than default / most.
* I love the stylized warning arrows. Aside from fitting the theme, they're clear indicators without being grossly prominent.
* The spinner is absolutely beautiful, I think the amount of feedback the complex spinner gives makes it worthwhile anyway.
* I actually agree that the various combo colors conflict with the green theme - before this skin, I went pretty exclusively monochrome for that reason. However, I don't think shading every combo color will help - the different color packs will be a good enough fix, I suspect. (There IS a white theme planned, iirc)
Thanks for that and i agree with all of your points, but what do you mean by the last one? I don't understand

Firinael

Firinael wrote:

lol I'm really sorry for writing so much stuff. I know it can be tiring reading all of that. Also, as for the cursor, I just meant that it would fit better on another skin, not that it was actually taken from somewhere else.

Hitbursts: I can understand that, just doesn't fit my personal taste. I can just edit that for personal use.

S+: it does seem to be the new standard, have been seeing people call it that recently. It's weird to me but hey, if that's what everyone calls it now then it's cool. I'd personally prefer a grey S (which was the standard up until some time ago) but there's no need to stress over that.

As for the followpoints: the issue is just something I deal with a lot because of a relatively low resolution monitor. It's 1680x1050 and elements with a higher resolution look serrated, the kind of stuff you'd use antialiasing for. I'll probably just use the SD followpoints when you release them. But I guess the animation is a bit too long? I mean, it looks nice but it's not that useful for gameplay. Might be just personal taste again, so no need to stress over that as well.

ps.: the song select interface seems really poorly designed when it comes to skinning capabilites, probably this kind of stuff that peppy wants to fix with osu!lazer

Also, if it's not too much to ask, could you take a look at this cursor and see if you could make something inspired on it? It's super ok if you don't want to or don't have the time to btw, it's just that I loved the idea you had from the cursor that was in my skin edit (even if it doesn't fit the skin imo) and would like to see what you come up with this time. Here it is: https://puu.sh/u1H43/8c01250b3d.png (it's really simple but imo it looks great).
Hmmm i say 'ok' to most your points... The new S+ standard is used even by Flyte, the official osu designer... can see on the new web...And about the cursor.... i have ideas but they don't really match nightgate skin much... Is the current one ok?

TheMadCharles

TheMadCharles wrote:

You can get WWW v1.5 on his profile
Umm did i get the right one? I dont see what i can use from it

Banbeucmas

Banbeucmas wrote:

For some reason I saw that the grading (A, S, SS) would be perfect with square
Like a box around it? i dont think that'll work well.... because the song card (well i'll call it that) kinda already surrounds it enough...
h3oCharles
https://osu.ppy.sh/u/wubwoofwolf
You can grab hitsounds or sth
Cuhray
Either its not out yet, or im crazy and cant find the download button..
Firinael

CarrettBarrett wrote:

You just have to click the filled colored square and it sends you to the Dropbox download link.
Topic Starter
-yuo-
REPLIES

TheMadCharles

TheMadCharles wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/u/wubwoofwolf
You can grab hitsounds or sth
Any specific ones? I don't see any that suit the skin.... tbh...
CarrettBarrett & Firinael

Firinael wrote:

CarrettBarrett wrote:

You just have to click the filled colored square and it sends you to the Dropbox download link.
Yes, that's right. The images are clickable, they'll take you to whatever they are meant to take you to. Right now only the green colour is available because the skin is still a work in progress.

-------------------THE POLL HAS FINISHED-------------------

This poll has ended. I've decided to improve the hitbursts, add in some sounds and refine some elements, then I'll run another poll as a confirmation(maybe) and head for the colours!
NetRaven
I'll be waiting white variation of color because green burns my eyes.
Topic Starter
-yuo-
Lol ok

Question - should the white one be like peach white or pure white?
veestire1
When do you think you will start working on SD? cuz im dying to see it.
Topic Starter
-yuo-
I have a couple of things up...

1. Lots of homework. LOTS

2. Small VOEZ skin update and bug fixes - (score v2 mod, options folder etc)

3. Small SKY skin fixes (mostly for the options folder i think)

4. Nightgate Sounds / Possible Full Publish for osu! mode including HD

Someone else's skin all in parallel

But, I'm working really hard and fast on skins right now, so hopefully I can get 2 and 3 done today. Wish me luck!

Edit: welp... :( done 2 and 3 ... nightgate will receive some work soon.
lukegotjellyfis
While this skin looks amazing, is amazing, furiously brilliant and looks further into then future than my chances of getting and SS on a 6* map, it does take some getting used to, after that its easy, electronic sailing. 8-)
Topic Starter
-yuo-

lukegotjellyfis

lukegotjellyfis wrote:

While this skin looks amazing, is amazing, furiously brilliant and looks further into then future than my chances of getting and SS on a 6* map, it does take some getting used to, after that its easy, electronic sailing. 8-)
Niiiice
I might use this quote in like some promotion media... is that fine?

btw what did you mean by this?
"looks further into then future than my chances of getting and SS on a 6* map"
If somethings wrong i would like to know what it is then fix it :P
h3oCharles

-yuo- wrote:

Question - should the white one be like peach white or pure white?
I think pure white would be too much "In your face" color

While I'm here, more feedback from me

First of all, found a way to convert HD to SD in a fast way: https://www.reddit.com/r/osugame/commen ... nt_use_hd/

So I used this with 16-9 aspect ratio, 90% opacity ring & dot circles as well as simplified spinner

- Speaking of that simplified spinner because it is darker, it took more time than normal for me to realize that I had to spin
- The Miss (I think it was mentioned before) should have an alternative with just the X fading out, cuz that glow is distracting

Pretty sure I mentioned this as well, if you are targeting this skin for pro players, there should a variety of customization available. While I know it is WIP, hitbursts wouble be a nice addition. Huge/Med/Small "100" In the middle/On top and not just dots

Also, had to put 26 in hitcircle offset cuz 2 dots in 2-digit numbers

EDIT1: In the reddit post, can you confirm this comment?
EDIT2: What is the font that you use for this skin?
Topic Starter
-yuo-
Thanks for the feedback.

TheMadCharles wrote:

"I think pure white would be too much "In your face" color"
Yes, ok. I'll go with a more yellowed colour.

TheMadCharles wrote:

"First of all, found a way to convert HD to SD in a fast way: https://www.reddit.com/r/osugame/commen ... nt_use_hd/
EDIT1: In the reddit post, can you confirm this comment?"
Yes, I have already set up an automated Photoshop / Mac script that converts HD files to SD files. I have no problem converting to SD.
The reason why it's so long is that if i change a HD file, I'll need to change the SD file too, which can create problems and conflicts, and is also hard to handle. I'm working on all the HD files first, then after the skin completely works in HD, I'll convert it to SD.

TheMadCharles wrote:

So I used this with 16-9 aspect ratio, 90% opacity ring & dot circles as well as simplified spinner

- Speaking of that simplified spinner because it is darker, it took more time than normal for me to realize that I had to spin
- The Miss (I think it was mentioned before) should have an alternative with just the X fading out, cuz that glow is distracting

Pretty sure I mentioned this as well, if you are targeting this skin for pro players, there should a variety of customization available. While I know it is WIP, hitbursts wouble be a nice addition. Huge/Med/Small "100" In the middle/On top and not just dots

Also, had to put 26 in hitcircle offset cuz 2 dots in 2-digit numbers
Thanks for the info, I have been considering options for hitbursts. But since they are animated, they will take longer to make. Sorry for waits... As for the other points, I'll work on them. They'll be implemented if they work well.

TheMadCharles wrote:

EDIT2: What is the font that you use for this skin?
'Futura, for everything and Hall Fetica for the ranking letters. I might change some fonts in the future.

Thanks alot for the update! (no one has been replying here for a long time so i was kinda getting lost as to what was happening)
Topic Starter
-yuo-
-------------------ME START WORKING-------------------

UPDATED 22 APR
I plan to upload a new developer update after turning some menu sounds and animating hit bursts. This will add new elements such as sounds and other innovations but won't be as debugged. Some minor elements might be bugged but should be playable.. alignment issues and other stuff from community suggestions probs won't be done too .

stuff:

ADDED SHADOWS for clarity to↓ ↓ for ppl who use less bg dim
countdown
warning arrow
#spinner [not working] HELP MEEE!!! p/5925840
lifebar and score

ADDED SOUNDS:
typing (delete not yet)
Main Menu
Select Diffuculty
Section Fail / Pass
Pause / Fail
Spinner

22 apr:
Tuned some sounds and shortened main menu sounds
Added and tuned applause to ranking

NOTE TO SELF : tune the vol and maybe length of spinner reward thing and change slidertick sound to a more suited one other than the bells

todo:
back
idk.. switches?
Menu back

ADDED MISC:
Score, Song Pie and Accuracy are now dimmed during gameplay to increase focus on gameplay.
#Target and ScoreV2 mods added. [fix colour, too bright]

MISC LOG
working on new hitbursts

archived content
Implemented a test version of the new hit bursts - not animated.
They grab way to much attention, and take way too long to recognise and fully understand in the mind. When one appears, you think 'whats that?', go look at it, and miss the next note.

Fixed the 'too flashy' issue by reducing the miss to a single-lined cross, and decreased the opacity of 50 and 100 bursts in gameplay down to 50%. It's still too flashy though, or maybe conflicting with the hit circles since these are also a 'ring' with 'something inside'

It's not as flashy as before when they where 100% bright, but i still feel the old 'dots' responded better. Maybe some animations that would make the bursts easier to recognise would work.

Some ideas i have that might fix things:
Add a quick 'Zoom In' (up FROM the middle, or down from a large size then TO the middle) and then slightly rotate the shape slowly, until it fades out, keeping the dot in the middle stationary and fading out.
Using only the triangle and not the diamond for hit 100. This might be the cause of the recognition issues because remembering five different shapes (tri, tri with dot, diamond, diamond with dot, cross) are taking memory. A diamond is also very loosely related to a warning, thus the user needs to remember what it means in this context, which is not good. Everyday standards should be used for faster perception, as one already knows what they relate to.

Just updated them, they are now rounded to match rounded style gameplay and colour filled for easier recognition (no more outline style, like a legit shape with black dot in middle)

Since I'm so tired I can't test this properly now so I'll come back later

REFERENCE TO SUGGESTED STUFF:

Will the idea be implemented?
- deny / neutral [removed]
+ accept
= think and experiment - may not appear
# accept, low priority
[?] - have looked into
FINISHED SUGGESTED FIXES AND ADDITIONS FROM COMMUNITY:
Found out that 'sc' is not misaligned
#Enclosed the back button into a box and labeled it 'SEL' in ranking screen. Looks alright.. //PATCH FOR 21:9 and 16:9. 16:10 OK

CONSIDERED WIP / WILL DO SUGGESTED FIXES AND ADDITIONS FROM COMMUNITY:[notice]
Add scoreboard numbers
Polish more vibrant combo colours
Sky miss in the works. Animation being worked on.

TheMadCharles
Select
= SS song cards are misaligned. I'll try fix, but last time i realised the thumbnail actually moves down about 2 px when clicked onto

Gameplay
= Miss is based on sky, but its edited. I find bigger miss elements more alerting and make me fix myself up faster, but might add options.
# Reverse arrows are a good idea.
= Dots are included, Bigger numbers were a distraction when prototyped.
= Numbered hitbursts conflict with the circle numbers. They also take longer for your brain to read
+ Havent skinned leaderboard numbers yet. Will do.
= All green combo colours make it hard to look for the next circle after a colour combo. (edit: I gonna try change them to more vibrant ones)

Ranking
[=] I'll look into the "SC" alignment. Could be an illusion tho. [RESOLVED↑]
[=] Havent tried labelling back button on song select, but i'll see how it turns out
Firinael
= hard to fix… “SS song cards are misaligned. I'll try fix, but last time i realised the thumbnail actually moves down about 2 px when clicked onto”
- Back button doesn’t have a mouse over image. It cant react to mouse over. Blue line above back is actually from the mode image. The song select is a complicated structure.
- —
= “Miss is based on sky, but its edited. I find bigger miss elements more alerting and make me fix myself up faster, but might add options.”
= Yes, thanks. Bigger dots and numbers also looked weird during prototyping.
= Hitbursts were trouble for me too. I found it hard to balance visibility, concentration and the time the mind takes to read it. Bigger dots were too vibrant, smaller dots were hard to see and left you trying to see them instead of playing, and, numbers conflict with the circle numbers subconsciously.
- —
[=] “I'll look into the "SC" alignment. Could be an illusion tho.” [RESOLVED↑]
- —
= Blue line is misaligned and discoloured because its actually part of the mode image. I’ll try align it again, but i had alot of trouble doing that.
=# I’ll see into the followpoints… but do you have any more detail on the problem? I’ll try the new hit circle as a low priority.

Check back soon for more news!

h3oCharles
Nice! Also, if you are doing those hitbursts, keep the old ones in extras plz
Topic Starter
-yuo-
Of course!
Topic Starter
-yuo-
Hello! just a quick bump...

I need some extra help and opinions on the hit bursts... Any suggestions? They would be really helpful!
See the post above to see my notes.'

Not to mention, the spinner too... no help lately
show more