forum

Osu for Linux

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Johnny Gotti
You know what, peppy, you NEED to get some devs and port this game on linux. This way, we won't break our computers out of frustration that the bloodcat package doesn't work, the PoL version md5 is off, and wine? You mean that one software that EVERYBODY uses that you
(i mean like everybody type of you not peppy you) , for some reason, can't get to work? So, yeah, PLEASE port this game for Linux. Tux will give you a big hug for it.

EDIT: I have gotten osu to run, but the slider animations are white squares, it can't load .osk's, and it freezes my graphics card if I try to alt-tab out of it. So, peppy, crack your knuckles, grab your fav keyboard, put on your Tux hoodie, and start programming.
Pawsu
Do not request ports. There's no place on the forums to do this.
And to clarify, not EVERYONE uses Linux. To be blunt, the majority of people do not even use Linux for osu. So no, this is not a big demand, and shouldn't be.
We need people to make them, contact peppy ( pe@ppy.sh ) if you're willing to make one.
Topic Starter
Johnny Gotti

Pawsu wrote:

Do not request ports. There's no place on the forums to do this.
And to clarify, not EVERYONE uses Linux. To be blunt, the majority of people do not even use Linux for osu. So no, this is not a big demand, and shouldn't be.
We need people to make them, contact peppy ( pe@ppy.sh ) if you're willing to make one.
k den thx m8
marshallracer
Just to pick this up, there is a (pretty outdated) guide to get osu running on Linux as a stickied thread in this specific sub-forum and a very recent guide which let's you run osu perfectly fine on almost all occasions

Regarding the PoL script you mentioned, the user who hosted it deleted it quite a while ago, maybe there is a way to take the previously linked guide to PoL as it works really well
Espionage724

GG3K wrote:

You know what, peppy, you NEED to get some devs and port this game on linux. This way, we won't break our computers out of frustration that the bloodcat package doesn't work, the PoL version md5 is off, and wine? You mean that one software that EVERYBODY uses that you
(i mean like everybody type of you not peppy you) , for some reason, can't get to work? So, yeah, PLEASE port this game for Linux. Tux will give you a big hug for it.
- bloodcat's package (as I understand) is outdated
- No idea what's up with the PlayOnLinux script
- Wine works fine with osu! (all things considered anyway), you just need to set things up properly

As to how to set it up properly... there's a few ways to go about this. There's the guide/thread linked above that mentions settings for getting osu! running with the lowest latency possible. I personally didn't notice any issue with a bare-bones install on the computers I've tried osu! on though, so the most I can say about that guide is YMMV (but it does look like it will provide a working osu! install nonetheless). It does provide nice information though.

I have my bare-bones set-up here that just relies on the distro-provided Wine package. It installs .NET Framework 4.0, osu!, and provides a desktop launcher. Copy, paste, and run the commands in the order the blocks are presented, and you should be good-to-go.

Regardless of how you get it installed, the following needs to be met:

- You need a 32-bit Wine prefix (for dotnet40)
- You need a proper graphics and audio stack (most distros come with both out-the-box in a pretty good state)
- You need winetricks (to install dotnet40)
- You need 32-bit libraries (if your distro is multilib or 32-bit, it will either have them already or pull them in with wine)
JSE
It is worth noting a linux port is on the works with osu!next. If you've followed the dev blogs/threads peppy has stated this ... it'll be a reality someday ;)

Wine works for now and is completely native.
Chaosemerald

jsebean wrote:

It is worth noting a linux port is on the works with osu!next. If you've followed the dev blogs/threads peppy has stated this ... it'll be a reality someday ;)

Wine works for now and is completely native.
Well, it's great to know that osu! is finally coming to Linux :b
KatouMegumi
export WINEARCH=32 && winetricks dotnet45 && wine ~/Downloads/osu!installer.exe
Hope I didn't missed anything.
Espionage724

Fizzn wrote:

export WINEARCH=32 && winetricks dotnet45 && wine ~/Downloads/osu!installer.exe
Hope I didn't missed anything.
- osu! won't be in its own prefix (it'll share the ~/.wine prefix with whatever else you toss in there)
- dotnet45 is unnecessary (you only need dotnet40); where are people getting dotnet45 from?
- osu!installer.exe won't install on some distros if it's ran from the Downloads folder (it will start downloading right in that folder instead and not install properly)
- The export variable is WINEARCH=win32 and you also don't have to export it unless you really want to (you only need the variable once for the prefix creation)

I linked it above, but the link in my sig also leads to my documentation on how to get osu! up and running as-cleanly as possible.
Jesper
Maybe osu for steam os.
Espionage724

- L I T H - wrote:

Maybe osu for steam os.
That would mean osu! to be on Steam, which isn't happening anytime soon if at all.
KatouMegumi

Espionage724 wrote:

- L I T H - wrote:

Maybe osu for steam os.

That would mean osu! to be on Steam, which isn't happening anytime soon if at all.

Steam OS GNU/Linux distro is basef off of Ubuntu distro. So you can WM/DE with Wine going and voila