forum

Billain & NickBee - Extrasensory

posted
Total Posts
show more
Ambient
i try

01:00:698 (4) - Move this note to x:400 y308. Feels un-natural having to switch.
01:32:952 (1,2) - Try stacking the slider onto the note and have it curve down. Like so.
02:06:247 (1,2) - You can achieve the same effect here i reckon. ^
02:12:837 (1) - Maybe turn this into a stream? Similar to what you had going in cherry blossoms. Also acts as a pretty good lead up, similar to 03:50:987 (1,2,3,4,5)
02:23:588 (1) - Considering the pace of the chorus this really kills it, consider trying what you did at 02:45:438 (1,2,3,4) or 02:56:883 (1,2,3,4). It fits, but not as well as it should imo.
04:47:866 (1) - ^

Shiirn is bae
Topic Starter
Shiirn
stuff
Logic Agent
hey

[General]
  1. I'm being told that 03:30:799 and 05:13:779 are unsnapped so check your snapping. It's probably some weird ass 1/16h shit knowing you
  2. 01:17:779 (1) why is this spinner so fucking long i mean it's whatever but why are you like this
  3. did the corners of the screen offend you at some point
[Predation]
  1. 00:34:080 (2,3,4,5) - on all 3 of these how come you're using different spacing coming off of the slider into the triple?
  2. 00:42:404 (2,3,4,5) - you did it here in this section as well, but only once.. it just seems random
  3. 00:49:947 (1,2,3) - can you make the visual spacing here look more like 00:53:241 (1,2)
  4. 00:57:403 (1,2,3) - you might actually shoot me for this but 00:57:490 (2,3) is slightly different than 00:56:103 (2,3) . I'm not gonna point out these unless I really think they need to be pointed out because I'm fairly sure you're doing it on purpose but this is just a "i see what you're doing there" bullet point I guess
  5. 01:28:791 (1) - shits starting to get weird I doubt i'll have much to say
  6. 01:55:756 (5,6) - hey look one of those things i said i wasn't going to point out. but tbh here you could space this out more to make it obvious you're not going for the same overlap as 01:55:496 (3,4)
  7. 01:57:577 (8,1) - do these shapes come to you in a dream and whisper in your ear?
  8. 02:01:305 (3,4) - why make overlap smaller here?
  9. 04:08:935 (4,5) - ^
  10. 04:20:033 (5) - it'd be cute if you ceneterd this between the slider head and tail
just as a like closing thought or whatever, something i didn't find or didn't find as much as i kinda thought i would is that sections with stuff like 04:15:785 (3,4,5,6,7,8) this, the second set of 3 wasn't more spaced out than the first... i'm probably explaining myself really badly but i think it'd be cool if the spacing kinda felt more like a spaced stream (maybe not this extreme) rather than a triple that just didn't happen to be stacked

weird shit dude, but you already knew i liked it so
Topic Starter
Shiirn

Logic Agent wrote:

hey

[General]
  1. I'm being told that 03:30:799 and 05:13:779 are unsnapped so check your snapping. It's probably some weird ass 1/16h shit knowing you fix
  2. 01:17:779 (1) why is this spinner so fucking long i mean it's whatever but why are you like this fix
  3. did the corners of the screen offend you at some point yes
[Predation]
  1. 00:34:080 (2,3,4,5) - on all 3 of these how come you're using different spacing coming off of the slider into the triple? fix
  2. 00:42:404 (2,3,4,5) - you did it here in this section as well, but only once.. it just seems random fix
  3. 00:49:947 (1,2,3) - can you make the visual spacing here look more like 00:53:241 (1,2)
  4. 00:57:403 (1,2,3) - you might actually shoot me for this but 00:57:490 (2,3) is slightly different than 00:56:103 (2,3) . I'm not gonna point out these unless I really think they need to be pointed out because I'm fairly sure you're doing it on purpose but this is just a "i see what you're doing there" bullet point I guess they're slightly different because when it's slightly off the player feels the unsettling nature of the music. Like, call it a meme reason but if things are slightly off it fits thematically.
  5. 01:28:791 (1) - shits starting to get weird I doubt i'll have much to say
  6. 01:55:756 (5,6) - hey look one of those things i said i wasn't going to point out. but tbh here you could space this out more to make it obvious you're not going for the same overlap as 01:55:496 (3,4)
  7. 01:57:577 (8,1) - do these shapes come to you in a dream and whisper in your ear
  8. 02:01:305 (3,4) - why make overlap smaller here? fix
  9. 04:08:935 (4,5) - ^ fix
  10. 04:20:033 (5) - it'd be cute if you ceneterd this between the slider head and tail mmm nah but made it cleaner
just as a like closing thought or whatever, something i didn't find or didn't find as much as i kinda thought i would is that sections with stuff like 04:15:785 (3,4,5,6,7,8) this, the second set of 3 wasn't more spaced out than the first... i'm probably explaining myself really badly but i think it'd be cool if the spacing kinda felt more like a spaced stream (maybe not this extreme) rather than a triple that just didn't happen to be stacked i see what you mean here but i also feel like that tends to be really weird difficulty-wise as this since is very lenient on cursor movement due to the higher circle size plus the more weidly-flowy patterning, having actual enforcement on a flowing arc (which a spaced set of 1/4 does, it forces the player to a much lower margin-of-error speed and movement) would feel out of place on this map, which has massive margins of movement error. 's a good idea but it's not quite what I'm going for so I'll pass on it.

weird shit dude, but you already knew i liked it so
Lama Poluna
my eyes...
Low
req in irc

[General]
- tags
- i tried to mod this with the default skin and the BG, but the combo colors and the sliderpath color mingling with the colors of the background made this VERY difficult to read to the point of frustration. in the end, i did this mod using my own skin and by dimming the background significantly. take what you will from this statement, but i think the map BG/combo color/sliderpath combination makes this nearly unplayable. (i know everyone uses their own skins and dims the BG anyway, but it's worth mentioning this since one should be modding a map with default skin).

[Predation]
00:38:676 (3,4,5) - i know the rhythm at this part is different from the section around it, but this triplet stack being behind 00:38:242 (2) rather than near the sliderend like you were doing before was jarring to play. i suggest moving it near the sliderend, but farther away than the rest of the patterns similar to this to indicate the change in rhythm. example
00:49:166 (2,3,4) - this looks better without the starts of the objects overlapping. like this
01:33:299 (3,4,5,6) - this whole pattern looks really jumbled and threw me off as i was trying to play this. perhaps re-arrange it to look like this to make it easier to read and less cluttered
02:29:658 (2,3) - this almost entirely obscures the slider path of 02:29:831 (1) and made me completely misread this, thinking (1) was two separate sliders. please move these so they don't do this
02:54:369 (5,1) - this is really hard to read since it's covered by 02:53:762 (2)! shift it a bit to make it not totally overlap, or just rework this pattern entirely

from a purely artistic standpoint, this map is absolutely beautiful. however, from a playing perspective, this map is inconsistent at times with the flow. i assume this was your intent, but this makes the map really fun to play at some (most) points, and a total bitch at others. once you get past the complicated rhythms, this map is generally fun to play with a few lapses (the inconsistency i mentioned). what you were consistent in, however, was the way you mapped the rhythms. this map is very structurally sound in terms of being mapped to the music, and this makes an all too tricky rhythm less of a hassle to get through.

overall, i really like what you've done here! i've never seen a map like this ever, so kudos to you for making me say this since very few maps have ever evoked that response from me. it'll be interesting to see how the community responds to this map. good luck, and a star for creativity
Topic Starter
Shiirn

Low wrote:

req in irc

[General]
- tags fuck da po-po
- i tried to mod this with the default skin and the BG, but the combo colors and the sliderpath color mingling with the colors of the background made this VERY difficult to read to the point of frustration. in the end, i did this mod using my own skin and by dimming the background significantly. take what you will from this statement, but i think the map BG/combo color/sliderpath combination makes this nearly unplayable. (i know everyone uses their own skins and dims the BG anyway, but it's worth mentioning this since one should be modding a map with default skin). the sliderborder is very bright with the background but with a fully dimmed bg its the exact color i want. Due to inherent slider transparencies it's nearly impossible to get a color that works right with both a full bg and a dimmed one, and considering the focus involved to get this map right, a fully dimmed bg is gonna be far more prudent to focus on for color cohesion.

[Predation]
00:38:676 (3,4,5) - i know the rhythm at this part is different from the section around it, but this triplet stack being behind 00:38:242 (2) rather than near the sliderend like you were doing before was jarring to play. i suggest moving it near the sliderend, but farther away than the rest of the patterns similar to this to indicate the change in rhythm. example The entire point is that it's slightly jarring - it's a different pattern entirely. The fact that it's behind the slider means that the player instantly knows that something is up, and if it's past the slider the initial instinct is to continue the weirdo rhythm pattern that they were following before - the triplet here is "normal", and by being so it's actually hard to read if it isn't very clearly different.
00:49:166 (2,3,4) - this looks better without the starts of the objects overlapping. like this ok
01:33:299 (3,4,5,6) - this whole pattern looks really jumbled and threw me off as i was trying to play this. perhaps re-arrange it to look like this to make it easier to read and less cluttered changed but not that way
02:29:658 (2,3) - this almost entirely obscures the slider path of 02:29:831 (1) and made me completely misread this, thinking (1) was two separate sliders. please move these so they don't do this this is a rhythmic pattern that happens over and over, and by this time it's happened already. These kinds of issues are due more to the player trying to read the map rather than keep with the extremely repetitive, if weird, rhythm. Keeping with the rhythm means you'll never read this wrong.
02:54:369 (5,1) - this is really hard to read since it's covered by 02:53:762 (2)! shift it a bit to make it not totally overlap, or just rework this pattern entirely ok

from a purely artistic standpoint, this map is absolutely beautiful. however, from a playing perspective, this map is inconsistent at times with the flow. i assume this was your intent, but this makes the map really fun to play at some (most) points, and a total bitch at others. once you get past the complicated rhythms, this map is generally fun to play with a few lapses (the inconsistency i mentioned). what you were consistent in, however, was the way you mapped the rhythms. this map is very structurally sound in terms of being mapped to the music, and this makes an all too tricky rhythm less of a hassle to get through.

I feel like the major weird inconsistencies you feel are due to the patterns simply being structured in ways you're not used to seeing, if ever - the structures all make sense and are all made to maintain the same, or similar, kinds of flow, but some of them contain weird overlaps or slight changes in the jerking of the cursor. This is fine, if not outright important, as there's no real point to this map if it doesn't give the player the feeling of something being really weird or off about it, but being able to FC it anyway. That's what I try to do as a mapper - I want to bring the players feeling, sensations, and move them as people, like the music does, not simply bring a gameplay challenge.

overall, i really like what you've done here! i've never seen a map like this ever, so kudos to you for making me say this since very few maps have ever evoked that response from me. it'll be interesting to see how the community responds to this map. good luck, and a star for creativity thank you
-Visceral-

[General]
  1. HP 4 seems kinda low for this but up to you I suppose.
  2. A LOT of this map is kiai and it loses its impact when it's used so often. Consider using it more sparingly.
[Predation]
  1. UNSNAPPED OBJECTS: 03:43:703 (1) and 04:51:940 (1)
  2. 00:44:571 (3) - NC since this is a new measure and a totally different style.
  3. 01:16:717 - Any reason for reducing the break to here? You didn't do it in the part after.
  4. 01:44:051 (1,2) - This spacing looks really similar to 01:44:658 (5,1) even though they have different beat snapping divisors. Really easy to misread and I suggest having at least a slight difference in spacing.
  5. 01:48:820 (4) - I don't think I support this slider shape to represent this sound since it's not very intricate or intense, and you use it later on multiple times for the "WEEERGGHSH" sound thing which is much more interesting.
  6. 02:04:513 (1,2) - These two should just be mirror images of each other. If I had to choose one, I'd choose to replicate the first one since it doesn't look as unpolished.
  7. 03:39:195 - I feel the impact sound as well as the change in pitch in the bass deserves to be represented with a circle on this tick.
  8. 03:50:900 (5,1) - Not saying you need to change this but why do you have a random jump in the stream here? I can't find anything in the song to support this.
  9. 04:31:219 (6,1) - Stack pls im triggered lol
Topic Starter
Shiirn

Smoothie World wrote:

[General]
  1. HP 4 seems kinda low for this but up to you I suppose.
  2. A LOT of this map is kiai and it loses its impact when it's used so often. Consider using it more sparingly. shit son i know but at the same time its like, there's only 3 seperate parts of the song: the chorus, the dank chorus, and the weirdo bits. it'd be weird to only kiai the second half of the choruses, but... whatever
[Predation]
  1. UNSNAPPED OBJECTS: 03:43:703 (1) and 04:51:940 (1) ya
  2. 00:44:571 (3) - NC since this is a new measure and a totally different style. yah
  3. 01:16:717 - Any reason for reducing the break to here? You didn't do it in the part after. weird ass bug shits
  4. 01:44:051 (1,2) - This spacing looks really similar to 01:44:658 (5,1) even though they have different beat snapping divisors. Really easy to misread and I suggest having at least a slight difference in spacing. yah
  5. 01:48:820 (4) - I don't think I support this slider shape to represent this sound since it's not very intricate or intense, and you use it later on multiple times for the "WEEERGGHSH" sound thing which is much more interesting. changed up a bit
  6. 02:04:513 (1,2) - These two should just be mirror images of each other. If I had to choose one, I'd choose to replicate the first one since it doesn't look as unpolished. this had to be some weird ctrl+g bug, fixed
  7. 03:39:195 - I feel the impact sound as well as the change in pitch in the bass deserves to be represented with a circle on this tick. sure let's give it a shot
  8. 03:50:900 (5,1) - Not saying you need to change this but why do you have a random jump in the stream here? I can't find anything in the song to support this. This is a weird one. The jump isn't all that hard or strenuous, but i wanted to more cleraly emphasize that the stream ends on a bluetick slider, after starting on a white tick, this is really weird for alternators and it being more visually apparent was the difference between random, unfair breaks and more clearly knowing which finger you're supposed to start on. rant over i guess?
  9. 04:31:219 (6,1) - Stack pls im triggered lol yah
thx
Moonlit
Because apparently modhelp is modreqs now

You might want to increase the volume of your snare hitsound or use a different one that stands out more. its actually quite hard to notice the difference when its gone.

00:43:617 (1,2) - rhythm feels off probably due to being over simplified, especially between two not particularly simple sections. I would follow a rhythm like this: perhaps with SV increases for those sliders.

00:49:687 (4) - This is the same sound as the slider immediately before it. I think replacing it with a 1/2 slider would give the pattern more impact and allow the jump to the next combo be more noticeable.

00:55:149 (5) - Similar to my first point, although here you are ignoring the snare that you have been following for the rest of the intro up until this point. I know a rhythm like this: may be simpler than what you are perhaps going for, but I think it would represent the song better.
I think you could add a circle here: 00:55:669 (7) - too

01:26:103 (1) - Maybe this spinner should go to the whole or half beat before the drop. It ends in a kinda arbitrary position considering the riser like effects in the song actually get more intense after your spinner stops. Also maybe have three notes before the spinner ( 01:26:016 (1,2,3) - ) instead of the one if you are worried about the spinner being too long.

01:30:178 (1) - I don't agree with using sliders on the downbeat. In the song the only thing that happens here is the kick. I know there is the sweep of noise into the next beat, but it feels very strange to be sliding over silence so frequently. I have to say simply using circles in these instances would be better for creating a more powerful feel to the kick. The times where you did this ( 01:32:952 (1) - for example) with a stack felt great. Perhaps it will be worth the remapping effort for you but I can understand if you wont change it.

01:39:195 (1) - This is again oversimplified. I would use two 3/4 sliders in these instances.

02:52:028 (1) - Maybe Ctrl-G; 02:51:247 (3,4,1,2,1) - angle created by this is slightly awkward

03:30:872 (1,2,3,4,5,6) - This part is following the additional basses that add energy to this buildup, as well as incorporating the rhythms from the first buildup. But then you ignore the additional basses at 03:33:646 (4,5,6) , 03:36:594 (5,6) - etc. I think it makes sense in many ways to add these in throughout the second build.

I think that even if you decide not to enact my earlier point about sliders like this: 04:37:461 (1) - on only kicks, having only a circle for these transitions could help players identify that the rhythm is about to change.

01:50:207 (4) - I changed this slider a bit to make it more circular:
SPOILER

307,184,110207,2,0,B|325:178|421:171|434:280|377:333|337:331|271:314|272:227|335:228|343:269,1,299.999990844727,2|0,0:0|0:0,0:0:0:0:
Topic Starter
Shiirn

Moonlit Bliss wrote:

Because apparently modhelp is modreqs now

Most of your mod seems to involve following the raw data points of the music over the rhythms I have chosen to use to provide an experience for the player that isn't necessarily about transcribing the music directly from sound to map. This means that many parts are undermapped to more heavily focus on the wubs and distortions above following the drum or bass melodies. I'm going to avoid explaining too much in regards to this choice, since I did so here.

You might want to increase the volume of your snare hitsound or use a different one that stands out more. its actually quite hard to notice the difference when its gone.

00:43:617 (1,2) - rhythm feels off probably due to being over simplified, especially between two not particularly simple sections. I would follow a rhythm like this: perhaps with SV increases for those sliders. Given that the slider is over the steadily louder growl, adding a bunch of notes here is silly. It doesn't matter that the extremely background rhythm is ignored, as this is an introductory slider to the second half of the weirdo area.

00:49:687 (4) - This is the same sound as the slider immediately before it. I think replacing it with a 1/2 slider would give the pattern more impact and allow the jump to the next combo be more noticeable. This is a mirrored pattern to 00:32:432 (1,2,3,4,5) - , where the 3/4 really heavily follows the wub. The sliders here aren't following the snares, they're following the background distortions. Snares would normally be clicks to begin with, so I feel that leaving it as a circle is perfectly fine, and two circles will always cause the player to feel as if they've moved more than a slider, so "having a slider to make the jump more noticeable" is an oxymoron in most cases.

00:55:149 (5) - Similar to my first point, although here you are ignoring the snare that you have been following for the rest of the intro up until this point. I know a rhythm like this: may be simpler than what you are perhaps going for, but I think it would represent the song better. Again, these sections are intentionally very simplified and focus heavily on the awkward snapping and placement. This is purely to get the player into the "weirdo" feel for the map. Following the exact beats would be overly complex and demanding on the player.
I think you could add a circle here: 00:55:669 (7) - too ^

01:26:103 (1) - Maybe this spinner should go to the whole or half beat before the drop. It ends in a kinda arbitrary position considering the riser like effects in the song actually get more intense after your spinner stops. Also maybe have three notes before the spinner ( 01:26:016 (1,2,3) - ) instead of the one if you are worried about the spinner being too long. The significant thing that happens at the end of the spinner is that the main growl builds up from that point before bursting into the kiai. This pause lets the tension build up for the player because they're literally waiting for it to drop in.

01:30:178 (1) - I don't agree with using sliders on the downbeat. In the song the only thing that happens here is the kick. I know there is the sweep of noise into the next beat, but it feels very strange to be sliding over silence so frequently. I have to say simply using circles in these instances would be better for creating a more powerful feel to the kick. The times where you did this ( 01:32:952 (1) - for example) with a stack felt great. Perhaps it will be worth the remapping effort for you but I can understand if you wont change it. I don't know how you don't hear the little bump noise here, but that's what these sliders are mapped to and they occur every measure and it's extremely reliable for the player to keep rhythms going. This also lets those circle-only times where the rhythm bumps another little wub on the red tick after it be very powerfully emphasized. The entire map is designed around these polarized choices and remains perfectly consistent with them, so they work fine for emphasis.

01:39:195 (1) - This is again oversimplified. I would use two 3/4 sliders in these instances. See my starter explanation. The map specifically simplifies certain areas to provide heavy emphasis on the wubs rather than simply transcribing the drum/bass/snare rhythm.

02:52:028 (1) - Maybe Ctrl-G; 02:51:247 (3,4,1,2,1) - angle created by this is slightly awkward This makes 02:52:028 (1,2) - exceptionally awkward, and most of the time the 02:51:854 (2,3,1) - beat usually has the stacked notes hitch in angle to the start of the next slider anyway. This particular bit isn't any more or less awkward than the rest.

03:30:872 (1,2,3,4,5,6) - This part is following the additional basses that add energy to this buildup, as well as incorporating the rhythms from the first buildup. But then you ignore the additional basses at 03:33:646 (4,5,6) , 03:36:594 (5,6) - etc. I think it makes sense in many ways to add these in throughout the second build The entire point of ignoring them is that the section is entirely analogous to the first one - it's a very similar buildup with very significant different transitional areas. By making the very similar areas pretty much identical, there's more focus on the player for the clearly different sections..

I think that even if you decide not to enact my earlier point about sliders like this: 04:37:461 (1) - on only kicks, having only a circle for these transitions could help players identify that the rhythm is about to change. don't really agree here. The rhythm choices are extremely consistent and serve their purpose.

01:50:207 (4) - I changed this slider a bit to make it more circular: the spiral isn't really necessary, but I cleaned it up a bit.

It may look like I just denied all this, but bear in mind that even mods where everything is red gives me opportunity to think about my own choices in the map and provide opportunity to explain my reasoning. Everything being red does not mean that I think you are wrong and that I am right; but that I feel that my justifications and reasoning are enough to cause my map to be more coherent without applying your suggestions. Your suggestions were solid and justified in their concepts, I just felt that mine are a better choice for this map overall.

Thanks for your time!
MaridiuS
help
2016-11-19 16:29 Shiirn: ACTION is listening to [https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1073422 Billain & NickBee - Extrasensory]
2016-11-19 16:29 Shiirn: have fun
2016-11-19 16:29 Shiirn: LOL
2016-11-19 16:30 MaridiuS: sure
2016-11-19 16:30 MaridiuS: u have time for irc? xd
2016-11-19 16:30 Shiirn: i suppose
2016-11-19 16:30 Shiirn: bear in mind uhhh
2016-11-19 16:31 Shiirn: i'm more experienced at mapping than i look
2016-11-19 16:31 MaridiuS: ik lul
2016-11-19 16:31 MaridiuS: i've been looking at this
2016-11-19 16:31 MaridiuS: ACTION is listening to [https://osu.ppy.sh/b/967546 Camellia - Routing]
2016-11-19 16:31 MaridiuS: for a mod about blankets xd
2016-11-19 16:31 Shiirn: there it is
2016-11-19 16:31 MaridiuS: oh god
2016-11-19 16:32 MaridiuS: how you can u use that high timeline zoom
2016-11-19 16:32 MaridiuS: it breaks my mind always
2016-11-19 16:32 Shiirn: i scroll the timeline zoom all the time
2016-11-19 16:32 Shiirn: sometimes i go in sometimes i zoom out
2016-11-19 16:32 Shiirn: it doesnt always save the right zoom
2016-11-19 16:32 Shiirn: lol
2016-11-19 16:33 MaridiuS: 00:07:114 (3) - could you emphasize this a bit different than 00:06:074 (1,2) - since it follows different sounds
2016-11-19 16:34 Shiirn: it's still on the same sound
2016-11-19 16:34 Shiirn: it's just much softer
2016-11-19 16:34 Shiirn: i should probably lower the volume
2016-11-19 16:34 MaridiuS: being much softer imo should mean it should be a tad different ;p
2016-11-19 16:35 Shiirn: nah, it's just a one reverse slider
2016-11-19 16:35 Shiirn: any additional clicks would be a bad idea because it's weaker, why more clicks
2016-11-19 16:35 Shiirn: different shape doesnt actually change anything
2016-11-19 16:35 Shiirn: lowering the volume is enough
2016-11-19 16:35 MaridiuS: good idea
2016-11-19 16:36 Shiirn: 00:06:594 (2) - is 14, 00:07:114 (3) - is 8%
2016-11-19 16:36 Shiirn: works fine for me
2016-11-19 16:36 MaridiuS: 00:32:692 (3,4) - ugh blanket doesnt seem right
2016-11-19 16:36 MaridiuS: and its closer than 00:32:432 (1,3) -
2016-11-19 16:36 MaridiuS: visually
2016-11-19 16:37 Shiirn: blanket fixed
2016-11-19 16:38 MaridiuS: 00:43:791 (2) -i'd prefer if it started on red tick
2016-11-19 16:38 MaridiuS: and added made a 2 stack
2016-11-19 16:38 Shiirn: not happening
2016-11-19 16:38 MaridiuS: also it feels weird when a slider ends on fat white tick lol
2016-11-19 16:39 MaridiuS: i'd use it
2016-11-19 16:39 MaridiuS: 00:44:398 -
2016-11-19 16:39 Shiirn: the map is meant to feel and play weird
2016-11-19 16:39 MaridiuS: oh also
2016-11-19 16:39 MaridiuS: is this going for ranked
2016-11-19 16:39 Shiirn: 00:43:877 - i'm ignoring this beat because i don't want to have a 1/4 double this early in the map, much less to emphasize a wub
2016-11-19 16:39 MaridiuS: kiai times are way too long lol
2016-11-19 16:40 Shiirn: they're fine
2016-11-19 16:40 Shiirn: it shouldn't be a problem
2016-11-19 16:40 Shiirn: and if it is i'll just cut the first half of the choruses
2016-11-19 16:40 Shiirn: ACTION shrugs
2016-11-19 16:40 MaridiuS: aimod complains ;p
2016-11-19 16:41 MaridiuS: 00:55:496 - you can also add a slider here to red tick 00:55:669 -
2016-11-19 16:41 MaridiuS: would fit imo
2016-11-19 16:42 Shiirn: i'd prefer not because i want00:55:149 (5) - and00:56:016 (1,2,3) - to be completely independent from eachother
2016-11-19 16:42 Shiirn: adding a slider at red tick would connect them as patterns and the red tick noise is weak to begin with
2016-11-19 16:42 Shiirn: the 00:56:016 (1,2,3) - pattern is very iconic to the slow weirdo sections
2016-11-19 16:43 MaridiuS: nice
2016-11-19 16:44 Shiirn: the way the music is structured to begin with is that there are 4 major sections before the break
2016-11-19 16:44 Shiirn: and each one has a brief pause in the action to help reset
2016-11-19 16:44 Shiirn: 00:22:201 - 00:33:299 - section 1
2016-11-19 16:44 Shiirn: 00:44:398 - end of section 2
2016-11-19 16:45 Shiirn: 00:55:496 - section 3 (this is the one u pointed out
2016-11-19 16:45 Shiirn: 01:01:691 - and ofc 4
2016-11-19 16:45 MaridiuS: and now
2016-11-19 16:45 Shiirn: 2->3 has no pause simply because of the very long wub ending section 2
2016-11-19 16:45 MaridiuS: the fifth section
2016-11-19 16:45 Shiirn: the choruses, basically
2016-11-19 16:45 MaridiuS: shit
2016-11-19 16:45 MaridiuS: okay
2016-11-19 16:45 MaridiuS: 01:30:525 (2,5) -
2016-11-19 16:45 MaridiuS: its all overlappy but it doesnt look tasty to keep this one
2016-11-19 16:46 Shiirn: moved 2
2016-11-19 16:47 MaridiuS: 01:31:392 (2) - think you could make this into a 3 stack
2016-11-19 16:47 Shiirn: 12 are on the little tinging noises, a triple would be too dense
2016-11-19 16:48 MaridiuS: i agree
2016-11-19 16:49 MaridiuS: 01:32:952 (1,2) - this is unneedeble hard to read
2016-11-19 16:49 MaridiuS: as i didnt spot any similalr 1/2 patterning in the section so far
2016-11-19 16:49 MaridiuS: unnecessary* imo
2016-11-19 16:50 MaridiuS: 01:34:166 (2) - here it wold be easeir to make a 3stack if u up to it
2016-11-19 16:50 Shiirn: people haven't had any real issue reading it
2016-11-19 16:50 MaridiuS: well im sure i'd have
2016-11-19 16:50 Shiirn: that 1,2 is doing the exact same ting things
2016-11-19 16:50 Shiirn: also
2016-11-19 16:50 Shiirn: approach circles are something i want to encourage reading
2016-11-19 16:50 Shiirn: rather than whack-a-mole :s
2016-11-19 16:51 Shiirn: i want a movement freeze there and there's no way to do that without having the notes close together
2016-11-19 16:53 MaridiuS: wow the song sounds so good holding left arrow key xd
2016-11-19 16:54 Shiirn: if you're going back to compare sections to eachother to make sure they're consistent
2016-11-19 16:54 Shiirn: you're mostly wasting your time, this map is obsessively consistent so that it's easy to play despite being billain
2016-11-19 16:54 MaridiuS: 01:35:380 (8,1) - blanket fix yey
2016-11-19 16:55 Shiirn: fixed
2016-11-19 16:55 MaridiuS: 01:51:854 (6,7) - i'd make em into a kick slider
2016-11-19 16:55 MaridiuS: to follow the sexy wind sound
2016-11-19 16:56 Shiirn: the reason they're triples to begin with is to follow the wind sound, as opposed to the 1/4 sliders following the tings in other spots
2016-11-19 16:58 MaridiuS: 01:57:057 (3,4,5,6,7,8) -
2016-11-19 16:58 MaridiuS: are you placing them by hand?
2016-11-19 16:58 Shiirn: probably
2016-11-19 16:58 Shiirn: fixed
2016-11-19 16:58 Shiirn: who makes triples with sliders?
2016-11-19 16:58 MaridiuS: well at least by DS xd
2016-11-19 16:59 Shiirn: that involves turning distance snap on and messing with the distance slider
2016-11-19 16:59 Shiirn: aint nobody got time for that
2016-11-19 17:00 MaridiuS: hm
2016-11-19 17:00 MaridiuS: i jsut noticed there are few blue ticks on slider ends
2016-11-19 17:00 MaridiuS: that have no sound in music
2016-11-19 17:00 MaridiuS: but are not muted
2016-11-19 17:00 MaridiuS: 02:00:351 (5,1) - for example this
2016-11-19 17:01 Shiirn: brb
2016-11-19 17:01 Shiirn: so?
2016-11-19 17:01 Shiirn: they're fine lol
2016-11-19 17:01 MaridiuS: i was just confused for a sec if its okay ;p
2016-11-19 17:02 Shiirn: muting every single one is pointless
2016-11-19 17:04 MaridiuS: 02:23:068 - think it would be sexy if you dont use this beat
2016-11-19 17:04 MaridiuS: also tell me when u back xd
2016-11-19 17:04 Shiirn: it'd be inconsistent to skip it
2016-11-19 17:04 Shiirn: and im here just no headphones
2016-11-19 17:05 Shiirn: so cant really do modding
2016-11-19 17:05 MaridiuS: ah okay
2016-11-19 17:05 MaridiuS: i'll jsut look at structure if you cant hear xd
2016-11-19 17:05 Shiirn: well
2016-11-19 17:05 Shiirn: i've gone over this map meticulously for structural and musical consistency
2016-11-19 17:06 MaridiuS: 02:32:952 (2,1) - untasty overlap
2016-11-19 17:07 Shiirn: done
2016-11-19 17:07 MaridiuS: 02:41:276 (2,3,4,5,1) -
2016-11-19 17:07 MaridiuS: have no idea
2016-11-19 17:07 MaridiuS: whats going on here lol
2016-11-19 17:08 Shiirn: editor armchair
2016-11-19 17:08 Shiirn: things in the editor look different from how they play
2016-11-19 17:09 MaridiuS: in test its also really hard for me
2016-11-19 17:09 MaridiuS: maybe its cus no dim and not used to patterning for gameplay ;p
2016-11-19 17:09 Shiirn: probably both
2016-11-19 17:09 Shiirn: the map is very plyable and ive not had any issues with breaks or unfair moments
2016-11-19 17:11 MaridiuS: 03:51:421 (3,4,5,1) -
2016-11-19 17:12 MaridiuS: hm spacing is a bit rough
2016-11-19 17:12 MaridiuS: maybe increase volume or something
2016-11-19 17:13 MaridiuS: 04:09:542 (2,2) - overlap
2016-11-19 17:14 MaridiuS: 04:10:756 (5,1) - think you could lower a bit spacing here
2016-11-19 17:15 MaridiuS: 04:12:143 (1,2) - i'd seriously select both and do CTRL+G
2016-11-19 17:16 MaridiuS: 04:23:241 (1,1) - overlap
2016-11-19 17:16 Shiirn: mmm
2016-11-19 17:16 Shiirn: overlaps fixed
2016-11-19 17:16 Shiirn: spacing is fine
2016-11-19 17:16 Shiirn: overlap there intended
2016-11-19 17:16 Shiirn: made more obvious
2016-11-19 17:17 MaridiuS: how do you come up with ideas
2016-11-19 17:17 MaridiuS: to overlap out of nowhere
2016-11-19 17:17 MaridiuS: emphasizing something somehow xd
2016-11-19 17:17 Shiirn: depends on the patterning of the area?
2016-11-19 17:18 Shiirn: and intentional overlaps are all over the map so it's not "out of nowhere"
2016-11-19 17:18 MaridiuS: i mean
2016-11-19 17:18 MaridiuS: such low overlaps
2016-11-19 17:18 MaridiuS: like you did here ;p
2016-11-19 17:18 MaridiuS: 04:31:565 (1,2) - vs 04:34:340 (1,2) -
2016-11-19 17:18 Shiirn: well there it was meant to overlap but i just didn't do it enough?
2016-11-19 17:18 Shiirn: i don't really pay attention to inane shit like that
2016-11-19 17:18 Shiirn: 04:33:733 (3) - and 04:34:513 (2) - are only visible in editor
2016-11-19 17:19 Shiirn: due to fading notes
2016-11-19 17:19 Shiirn: so i don't even really notice or care about this
2016-11-19 17:19 Shiirn: i just fix them to satisfy the OCD cucks
2016-11-19 17:19 MaridiuS: kek
2016-11-19 17:20 MaridiuS: i didnt really mention them
2016-11-19 17:20 MaridiuS: i check twice before saying fix overlap
2016-11-19 17:20 MaridiuS: also these 2 i mentioned
2016-11-19 17:20 Shiirn: seems weirdly obsessive
2016-11-19 17:20 MaridiuS: seems like one jump is a bit higher
2016-11-19 17:20 MaridiuS: on very similalr sounds
2016-11-19 17:20 Shiirn: here's a tip
2016-11-19 17:20 Shiirn: any difference in spacing under, say, 20%
2016-11-19 17:21 Shiirn: is completely negligible and not worth obsessing over
2016-11-19 17:21 Shiirn: in some cases, especially with sldierjumps, up to 50%
2016-11-19 17:21 Shiirn: are barly noticeable in play
2016-11-19 17:21 Shiirn: but noticeable in editor
2016-11-19 17:21 Shiirn: that's why i was like04:10:756 (5,1) - is fine
2016-11-19 17:21 Shiirn: it's a 1/2 slider ending, the spacing is a lot easier than it looks just from the distance snap numbers
2016-11-19 17:22 Shiirn: it's functionally similar to 04:19:080 (5,1) -
2016-11-19 17:22 Shiirn: except a lateral jump is really easy, so the spacing feels mostly the same
2016-11-19 17:23 MaridiuS: thanks for the tip
2016-11-19 17:23 MaridiuS: 04:39:889 (1,2) - maybe you could emphasize the wub sound here
2016-11-19 17:24 Shiirn: atthat point the rhythm of the section takes over most of the background wubs
2016-11-19 17:24 Shiirn: until they become foreground wubs
2016-11-19 17:24 Shiirn: like 04:47:866 (1) -
2016-11-19 17:24 MaridiuS: i see, i thought it was okay since i thought you somehow thought its a different section because of small pause on kiai
2016-11-19 17:26 Shiirn: ? the kiai is nonstop for the entire section
2016-11-19 17:26 MaridiuS: 04:37:461 (1) -
2016-11-19 17:26 Shiirn: 04:37:461 (1) - has no kiai because it's a reset
2016-11-19 17:26 Shiirn: for the second half of the section
2016-11-19 17:26 Shiirn: and starts the severe bluetick areas
2016-11-19 17:28 MaridiuS: 05:14:572 (1,1) - this look a bit weird
2016-11-19 17:28 MaridiuS: but not really visible in gameplay i guess
2016-11-19 17:28 Shiirn: fixed
2016-11-19 17:29 MaridiuS: oh wow this was hard

thanks for the tips.
Map is genius, rank now!
Karen
blanket mod as your request

soft-hitfinish3 has a super huge delay

Predation
  1. 00:08:155 (2,3) - why not lower the volume like 00:06:594 (2,3) -
  2. 02:12:403 (5,1,1,2,3,4) - they feel weird to play, i expected a large spacing 02:12:490 (1,1) - here but you put it perfectly under a slider, it's not good for both playing and reading. usually people make a jump after a long slider because players have much enough time to react
  3. 02:19:513 (4,1) - this is a blanket mod
  4. 03:00:525 - silence it?
  5. 03:01:739 (1) - why not mute the slide sound, it's so annoying in slow parts :(
  6. 03:41:622 (4) - pretty sad that you choose to ignore these 1/4 sound
  7. 03:51:421 (3,4,5,1) - why does the spacing suddenly get increased? it sounds not that different from 03:50:727 (3,4,5) - this
  8. 03:52:028 - i suggest to make the slider here instead, and the hitsound on the head doesn't fit in my opinion
  9. 04:07:548 (3) - idk it's on purpose or not but it's inconsistent with the first kiai 01:43:270 (5) -
  10. 04:36:768 (1,1) - same with 02:12:403 (5,1,1,2,3,4) -
  11. 04:37:374 (4,1) - this is overdone, i don't think players can read this in the first try
  12. 05:21:854 - how about placing a slider here
  13. 00:10:814 (2,3) - sometimes you should really pay attention to details like this, this is the difference of a good map and a perfect map. there're many detail problems in your map :c
ok this is what i want in ranked section, call me back
Topic Starter
Shiirn

Karen wrote:

blanket mod as your request

soft-hitfinish3 has a super huge delay this is a buildup sound i think it's okay? It's not a delayed start its just a slight buildup. it's only used over slider holds as a psuedo-sliderslide that isn't a sliderslide

Predation
  1. 00:08:155 (2,3) - why not lower the volume like 00:06:594 (2,3) - done
  2. 02:12:403 (5,1,1,2,3,4) - they feel weird to play, i expected a large spacing 02:12:490 (1,1) - here but you put it perfectly under a slider, it's not good for both playing and reading. usually people make a jump after a long slider because players have much enough time to react agree, moved
  3. 02:19:513 (4,1) - this is a blanket mod well wasnt really intended to blanket but made to blanket
  4. 03:00:525 - silence it? yah
  5. 03:01:739 (1) - why not mute the slide sound, it's so annoying in slow parts :( because doing so makes it weird :( for this slider only though i made the sliderslide 5% instead of the full 20%, there are no other long sliders except for 03:13:097 (1) - and the sliderslide there kind of fits the noise
  6. 03:41:622 (4) - pretty sad that you choose to ignore these 1/4 sound like explained earlier to other people, i wanted the soft super weird wub bits to be very "easy" compared to the choruses, focusing on the weirder rhythm
  7. 03:51:421 (3,4,5,1) - why does the spacing suddenly get increased? it sounds not that different from 03:50:727 (3,4,5) - this made shorter, it ws kind of over kill ya
  8. 03:52:028 - i suggest to make the slider here instead, and the hitsound on the head doesn't fit in my opinion The sound of the buildup comes from the sharp curve, it'd be too many clicks to have the player click 03:51:681 - and then 03:52:028 - . I removed the hitsound though, you're right it doesnt make sense
  9. 04:07:548 (3) - idk it's on purpose or not but it's inconsistent with the first kiai 01:43:270 (5) - it's wiggly and curvy and twitchy that's consistent enough :3
  10. 04:36:768 (1,1) - same with 02:12:403 (5,1,1,2,3,4) -
  11. 04:37:374 (4,1) - this is overdone, i don't think players can read this in the first try you're right, did what i did before with the jumpy stuff, moved
  12. 05:21:854 - how about placing a slider here i like how it ends on a blue tick with the strong beat, i feel like a slider for the woosh noise would make it too busy
  13. 00:10:814 (2,3) - sometimes you should really pay attention to details like this, this is the difference of a good map and a perfect map. there're many detail problems in your map :c idk whats wrong with it ;___;
ok this is what i want in ranked section, call me back
Karen
rechecked via irc
bub #1
Mir
i would throw more stars but i don't think you need any more

please rank ty i want this so bad it hurts
Okoratu
01:01:045 - kinda would prefer clicking this
01:32:952 (1) - and 02:06:247 (1) - are the only time where a custom stack means 1/2 in the map, the other cases are all unstacke, i think readability would benefit greatly if these wouldn't look like they're 1/4, would also make the entire map less uncertain i guess
03:55:843 (1) - ehh, not a fan of sudden hold slider, like everything else requires more or less constant movement so this one comes and catches one quite off-guard
04:21:854 (8) - 04:24:629 (4) - should be same length i think

will triple check the funny snapping bit of the map later

bg could use less compression artifacts i guess
Topic Starter
Shiirn

Okorin wrote:

01:01:045 - kinda would prefer clicking this ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
01:32:952 (1) - and 02:06:247 (1) - are the only time where a custom stack means 1/2 in the map, the other cases are all unstacke, i think readability would benefit greatly if these wouldn't look like they're 1/4, would also make the entire map less uncertain i guess ok fine
03:55:843 (1) - ehh, not a fan of sudden hold slider, like everything else requires more or less constant movement so this one comes and catches one quite off-guard ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ there goes that pretty slider
04:21:854 (8) - 04:24:629 (4) - should be same length i think ok fine

will triple check the funny snapping bit of the map later ok fine

bg could use less compression artifacts i guess ok fine

will update when talked about
Okoratu
urrgh

03:36:074 (3) - should just be 3/4
03:11:666 (1) - should start in 03:11:681 - i guess, feerum had http://puu.sh/sFzDD/e369eee54a.jpg to describe it
03:14:571 (3) - should be on 03:14:528 - just if possible gameplay wise (ehh that's the pattern that felt off)
00:17:692 (1) - should be later by 1/16 (lol.)
00:14:007 (3) - would probably be better on 00:14:022 -
03:15:785 (1) - should be closest on 03:15:807 -
00:16:977 (3) - closest possible things would be on 00:16:977 - 00:17:150 -

i think that's all we came up with when doublechecking this together o/

starting over at 1 after these have been sorted out
Kagetsu
got asked to check this... but there are some things regarding hitsounds that i can't really agree with... so i'm just leaving my thoughts:

1. i personally think that those kick sounds doesn't really match with the music for the calmer parts... specially for the first 20 secs of the map, for example.
  2. the usage of soft-hitfinish3.wav doesn't provide any feedback, because it consist in a "fade-in" sound (which means that the strongest part of the sound plays way after that you actually hit the note) i think it would be much better if you use those type of sounds in a slidertick instead, or maybe even editing the mp3 lol
map is fine, though
Topic Starter
Shiirn
soft-hitfinish3 only applies during slider slides. It's effectively a sliderslide hitsound, it's not actually used as a hitsound for feedback from clicking. I don't blame you for not noticing that; it's pretty subtle.

We can agree to disagree with the kicks; I think they provide strong feedback for the weird rhythm.
Topic Starter
Shiirn

Okorin wrote:

urrgh

03:36:074 (3) - should just be 3/4 oops
03:11:666 (1) - should start in 03:11:681 - i guess, feerum had http://puu.sh/sFzDD/e369eee54a.jpg to describe it hmmm k
03:14:571 (3) - should be on 03:14:528 - just if possible gameplay wise (ehh that's the pattern that felt off) already explained to feerum why it's not possible in std, when you set up a 1/1 line and then go off it it just causes confusion even if it's perfectly accurate, there are very few cases where i'm in the "make it better to play" camp and this case is one of them
00:17:692 (1) - should be later by 1/16 (lol.) whatever
00:14:007 (3) - would probably be better on 00:14:022 - whatever
03:15:785 (1) - should be closest on 03:15:807 - whatever
00:16:977 (3) - closest possible things would be on 00:16:977 - 00:17:150 - whatever

i think that's all we came up with when doublechecking this together o/

starting over at 1 after these have been sorted out

scorev2 preparation is bullshit
Okoratu
snapping is as close as it can get without runing gameplay i guess.

Karen
Cryptic
Looks good. Good luck!
Dreamtwolf

Shiirn please credit the artist of the background
  • Her True Colors by NanoMortis
"YOU CAN USE MY ART FOR:wallpaper/facebook/tumblr/pinterest /...wherever the heck you want....

I really don't mind as long as you link back here."

Source of Background: http://nanomortis.deviantart.com/art/He ... -560637695

I'm going to warn people at least for this. (no kds pls)
Topic Starter
Shiirn
I've been a massively vocal supporter of nanomortis and even act to prevent the usage of her backgrounds in unfitting music.

I haven't linked back because by this point nanomortis has become exceedingly obvious and thematic, to the point where her art style is synonymous with the wubby distortion music her backgrounds appear on.

as such why are you wasting your time here :s
Dreamtwolf

Shiirn wrote:

I've been a massively vocal supporter of nanomortis and even act to prevent the usage of her backgrounds in unfitting music.

I haven't linked back because by this point nanomortis has become exceedingly obvious and thematic, to the point where her art style is synonymous with the wubby distortion music her backgrounds appear on.

as such why are you wasting your time here :s
Wasting time is fun what are you talking about lol