forum

"osu!stream"-like Mode?

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4
Topic Starter
Lemonfaace
I've looked all over the forum for an idea like this, and I haven't seen anything like it, so I'll bring it up. What if there was an extension to the osu game mode, similar to Stream Mode on the mobile game? For anyone who doesn't know what this is, Stream Mode enables the player to ramp up the difficulty of the beatmap in mid-session after hitting consecutive 300s, while missing too much will tone down the difficulty to something more playable. What if something like this was implemented into PC osu, but with more customization? My idea is to expand on Stream mode to give it more variety, and since standard PCs are more powerful than mobile devices, this Stream mode ported from the mobile game has a lot more potential.

To be brief, the Stream difficulties could be organized like this:

Easy: Very Easy - Easy - Normal
Normal: Easy - Normal - Hard
Hard: Normal - Hard - Light Insane
Insane: Hard - Light Insane - Insane
Expert: Light Insane - Insane - Expert *(Expert being the highest difficulty, since there isn't a standard difficulty higher than Expert)

Stream maps would be rated based on the median of the two hardest difficulties, with stats like AR and CS being calculated like that of variable BPMs, since most players attempting Stream maps would be able to recover if they fall to the lowest phase of a map. An additional mod specific to this mode could include automatic failure if a player fails to complete a map on its hardest phase (TryHard [TH] I suppose) for the perfectionists who aren't ready to ace the map, but want to train their stability on the hardest difficulties.

Mappers could design levels to start on any part of the difficulty scale, be it starting on the easiest phase, hardest phase, or right in the middle. There could be even more phases if it works for the beatmap, like four or five (three by default). Editing Stream maps would be very similar to editing regular maps, except these maps could be merged into one set for a full stream. Mappers would also be able to set specific background displays and songs to play in each phase (there would have to be a rule stating that each phase would need the song to be similar and related to the original song), perhaps even being able to create entire storyboards for the individual phases. More so, players could also have the ability to customize the transition between phases be it through skinning, having a custom sound play for a stream up or stream down (or finishing on certain phases), or even pausing the music during a transition to prevent throwing the player off in mid-game if they mess up or improve.

So why implement this, you may ask if you still disagree at this point? I'm suggesting this because it would create a whole new meaning to osu maps. Mappers could get very creative with each phase, telling a story with the difficulty scaling. It would make the playing field a lot more interactive, and be merciful on players who want to take on a challenge if they prove themselves worthy of taking it up a notch, without having to fear playing the entire map on the toughest difficulty they can handle. It could create a more arcade-style experience of osu, which is always good for casual players, and effective for experienced players to see just where they stand skill-wise. The biggest argument I can see with this idea is that, well, it's not truly its own game mode. It's very much just like the osu mode, just with more versatility and less punishment, which isn't what professional players need. It would also take away the incentive to make those in-app purchases on osu!stream for mobile, which I understand would affect the revenue peppy makes off of it. However, I'd love to see what designers would come up with if they had the ability to create transitioning maps. Will you make a story, or will you make the most intense ramp-up you could dream of? Feel free to give feedback on this idea, I'd love to hear it!

Also, if anyone has posted something about the Stream mode already, I'm very sorry for repeating an idea that's already been suggested.
abraker
So to tl;dr this wall of text, you want a difficulty progression mod? Basically CS/OD/AR get harder or easier depending on how good or bad you do? If so, I am pretty sure someone suggested that before.

Also, I couldn't find a dupe regarding a difficulty progression mod. Maybe someone will have a better luck with the search.
Topic Starter
Lemonfaace

abraker wrote:

So to tl;dr this wall of text, you want a difficulty progression mod? Basically CS/OD/AR get harder or easier depending on how good or bad you do? If so, I am pretty sure someone suggested that before.

Also, I couldn't find a dupe regarding a difficulty progression mod. Maybe someone will have a better luck with the search.
I should've added a TL;DR, my bad. Anyway, not only stat ramps, but entire maps that generally become more complex depending on the phase the player is on. Take 'Parappa the Rapper 2' for example. The songs start at the highest difficulty, but become easier if the player starts messing up. The music also changes to emphasize that the player is doing worse, but recovering from these phases is possible, bringing the player back into action.
abraker
Topic Starter
Lemonfaace
That's very similar to my suggestion yes, but hopefully my variation provides more details on exactly how I envision it. Do you believe this would be a good implementation into osu?
Ashton
ooo this sounds cool
Acr0h
sounds really good. you could even use it to improve your skill much faster than normal
NeXt4r_

AcrohTheBeast wrote:

sounds really good. you could even use it to improve your skill much faster than normal

AcrohTheBeast wrote:

you could even use it to improve your skill much faster than normal

pls
Bara-
I'm sure this is a dupe, but I could only find this t/114749?hilit=Osu+stream
The old thread however has less SP, so I guess it's fine
Topic Starter
Lemonfaace

Bara- wrote:

I'm sure this is a dupe, but I could only find this t/114749?hilit=Osu+stream
The old thread however has less SP, so I guess it's fine
It's less about using a touchscreen and more about the gameplay mechanics, which is why I don't consider this to be a dupe. It's more like a spin-off rather than just a direct duplicate of the original game. I refer to it as "osu!stream-like" mode because it follows a similar concept, but overall it's still a different idea than what's suggested on the thread you put a link to.
Topic Starter
Lemonfaace
Bumping this with hopes that it gets noticed again. I'm really interested in hearing your feedback!

(It also helps me clarify my OP-essay above, heh.)