forum

Mouse or Tablet?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
TeaMMatE11
So I am in a sticky situation. I've heard I should switch to a tablet since I'm relatively new to the game, and I've been sticking with the mouse for the last few months, and recently, just beat my first 4 star beatmap.

The problem is this: if I switch to a tablet, I am left handed, meaning, my right hand will have to do the tapping and my left has to do the aiming.

I am right-handed when it comes to a mouse.

...sooo my question is this: Should I switch, or is the tablet a preference thing?
Paneiru
Tablets arguably have a small advantage because of absolute positioning which saves tablet players from struggling with mouse drift. Otherwise I don't see any other advantages a tablet holds over a mouse apart from some people having an easier time doing spinners with tablets. I've tried playing with a tablet but in the end I preferred the mouse and stuck to it. It's up to you to decide which one you think you would enjoy the most/have the most fun with.
Veross
It's all about playstyle preference ! :) !
just play what you like the most
Xyrus_old_1
You don't need a tablet, but if you would prefer playing on tablet, then get one.
vinnicci
[Haku]
Just do what you want, the only small advantage as it was said is absolute positioning. And if you switch, being used to may be a bit longer but it will work just fine on the long run.
StephOsu

Paneiru wrote:

Tablets arguably have a small advantage because of absolute positioning which saves tablet players from struggling with mouse drift. Otherwise I don't see any other advantages a tablet holds over a mouse apart from some people having an easier time doing spinners with tablets. I've tried playing with a tablet but in the end I preferred the mouse and stuck to it. It's up to you to decide which one you think you would enjoy the most/have the most fun with.

[Haku] wrote:

Just do what you want, the only small advantage as it was said is absolute positioning. And if you switch, being used to may be a bit longer but it will work just fine on the long run.
tbh absolute positioning isn't actually a "small advantage". The advantage is REALLY REALLY big at improvement rate since it's way easier to develop muscle memory with it and thus increasing the rate of improvement faster.
Do note that I'm not trying to say that tablet > mouse as we need to compare skill ceiling for that in which the top players are still expanding the skill ceiling right now, and also I didn't state that mouse can improve faster than tablet as there's live example of that
Fxjlk

StephOsu wrote:

tbh absolute positioning isn't actually a "small advantage". The advantage is REALLY REALLY big at improvement rate since it's way easier to develop muscle memory with it and thus increasing the rate of improvement faster.
I don't know about it being easier to develop muscle memory. To be honest it seems like tablet is very similar to mouse in that aspect. Since your hand/pen position isn't exactly the same every time (especially if you hover) you have to take that into consideration as well as the distance you need to move.

Same goes for mouse, you can try to have your hand in the same position each time you start but you still have to adjust.

I also disagree with tablet having a much higher improvement rate, many of the top players have similar play counts regardless of whether they use mouse or tablet.

The other touted benefit of tablet is that its more ergonomic and better for your hands but after checking where this narrative came from I saw its from a sales pitch by Wacom. It may be true but since its by Wacom there may be some bias there. Its sort of similar to how a study was funded by a monitor manufacturer on how more monitor real estate boosts employee productivity to sell more expensive monitors.

TeaMMatE11 wrote:

...sooo my question is this: Should I switch, or is the tablet a preference thing?
Its a preference thing, though I recommend you borrow a tablet from someone to try it out if you can. Don't buy one unless you are 100% set on using it. Some people have used mouse alot (like me) and so mouse is a better choice, while some have great handwriting or are artists and so tablet is a better choice for them.
StephOsu

M3ATL0V3R wrote:

StephOsu wrote:

I don't know about it being easier to develop muscle memory. To be honest it seems like tablet is very similar to mouse in that aspect. Since your hand/pen position isn't exactly the same every time (especially if you hover) you have to take that into consideration as well as the distance you need to move.

Same goes for mouse, you can try to have your hand in the same position each time you start but you still have to adjust.

I also disagree with tablet having a much higher improvement rate, many of the top players have similar play counts regardless of whether they use mouse or tablet.
tbh, no matter what form of grip you have, unless you are changing your form frequently, it wouldn't go far away from what you had. The point on the tablet in relative to the cursor is always the same as well, unlike how mouse has to deal with different mouse position, angle, etc and also something called mouse drift that is hindering good muscle memory to develop
as for the improvement rate case, I'm comparing on player per player case, not comparing them with any other people, since different people has different improvement rate.
Take KupcaH and me for example. He uses mouse and got to 4 digit within 5 months and 400+ hours playcount despite being a mouse user and im still struggling to get past rank 15k despite already playing with tablet for 7 months time
there's more on improvement rate than just device and playtime, there's still each person's talent and commitment to take into account
Since most of the people I see that got a tablet gets better at a faster rate, I think that tablet do boost the improvement rate by a minor rate

StephOsu wrote:

I didn't state that mouse can improve faster than tablet as there's live example of that
Fxjlk

StephOsu wrote:

mouse drift that is hindering good muscle memory to develop
The distance change per motion due to mouse drift is very small so it should have almost no affect on muscle memory.

StephOsu wrote:

tbh, no matter what form of grip you have, unless you are changing your form frequently, it wouldn't go far away from what you had
It only takes a couple of millimeters (depending on dpi) for mouse drift to be an issue and its just as easy for your grip to shift with a pen especially when your muscles are sore. You could hold the pen at different heights, fingers could be higher or lower relative to each other, the pen angle could differ, where your hand rests on the tablet and its angle could differ and your hand could be closer or further away from your body.

StephOsu wrote:

Since most of the people I see that got a tablet gets better at a faster rate, I think that tablet do boost the improvement rate by a minor rate
I don't think anecdotal evidence is very good at proving small differences between play styles.
N0thingSpecial
It's a preference thing, mouse is fun, so I stuck with it.

Go borrow a tablet from someone, play with it for a week, if you don't fancy it use mouse
I Give Up
Tablet is far more easier than mouse and you will actually do a lot better with it in the long term if you start early with it. My experience is that I was able to land 250bpm jumps very easily with tablet. With mouse I cannot. I decided to stay with mouse because I enjoy playing with it more even though I can play a lot better with tablet if I get used to it. I hope this helps your decision.
Alex3i2
why not both?
Paneiru

TwillghtSparkle wrote:

why not both?
Cause then you would be a jack of all trades, master of none.
KRNK_old_1
It is a matter of preference, but if you feel like trying it out, and you have some spare money, then it definitely worth trying.
Endie-
WELL NOW THAT MOUSE HAS THE HIGHEST PP SCORE, I GUESS ITS SAFE TO SAY THAT ITS THE BEST!

Jokes aside though, this comes down to personal preference.