1. osu! forums
  2. osu!
  3. Development
  4. Ranking Criteria
  5. Finalized/Denied Amendments
show more
posted
You might want to add a guideline about using custom numbers in your beatmap skin.

If the player has a HitCircleOverlap or ScoreOverlap value set in their skin.ini and uses the beatmap skin, osu! will use the player's Overlap settings with the beatmap skin's numbers, which, more often than not, just makes a mess...
posted

quaternary wrote:

You might want to add a guideline about using custom numbers in your beatmap skin.

If the player has a HitCircleOverlap or ScoreOverlap value set in their skin.ini and uses the beatmap skin, osu! will use the player's Overlap settings with the beatmap skin's numbers, which, more often than not, just makes a mess...
We consulted this and we cannot do this right now. We have no ability to change required values in .osu file for making these work completely, once that is possible, we'll bring the rule. We are aware this causes an issue, but for now, it's only fixable via forcing the default skin (which changes way too many things, if we basically want to change one value). There's one guideline requiring default skin as preferred too, so I agree it doesn't make sense to stay. I planned to create a feature request for this so that we can complete the skinning rules.
posted

Desperate-kun wrote:

Sieg wrote:

So if you use custom slider skin element in your map you must set sliderborder, if you have sliderborder set you must set sliderbody? This means sliderbody cannot use combo colors and forced to a single color until feature for this will be implemented by the devs, right?
Unfortunately, yes. If someone doesn't find a workaround for this (which I highly doubt will happen).
uh, alright, but this is such a huge limiting in skining to cover just a few edgy cases that may occur
posted

Sieg wrote:

uh, alright, but this is such a huge limiting in skining to cover just a few edgy cases that may occur
will discuss this again
posted
copy pasting this
not sure what was fixed already
1. there is a typo.

Avoid excessive composition differences in similar sections of a song. The basic spacing and rhythm should similar, while patterning can vary. This is to ensure players do not get confused when playing the same rhythm twice.

> should BE similar

2.
Avoid beginning ¼ sliders on unsupported blue ticks. Often white/red ticks should be prioritized even if the same sound sample is used for blue ticks. If there is a distinctly important sound on the blue tick, however, beginning a ¼ slider there can be acceptable.

probably would want to emphasize that blue tick sound should be more distinct than red/white to start a slider there

3.
Spinners should be used when they fit the music. They usually fit during held notes, changes in intensity, or transitions between sections. This is to ensure score differences among perfect plays on the leaderboard.

3rd sentence refers to 1st so its better like this

Spinners should be used when they fit the music. This is to ensure score differences among perfect plays on the leaderboard. They usually fit during held notes, changes in intensity, or transitions between sections.

4.
Avoid following multiple layers of the song if it is unclear what rhythm is prioritizing. Players should be able to discern what part of the song is being followed.

probably should add that this mostly applies to lower diffs
posted
looks good so far, i can already see the unnecessary limitations before have been removed.
posted
i think custom combo color have to be used, which can be added to the rule 2 in general.

also it seems changing .osu file is not banned, from my side we can allow some of the changing by .osu file like sv, str, lr and some of the slider go through the timing section(red line)......

other seems fine.
posted

grumd wrote:

copy pasting this
not sure what was fixed already
1. there is a typo.

Avoid excessive composition differences in similar sections of a song. The basic spacing and rhythm should similar, while patterning can vary. This is to ensure players do not get confused when playing the same rhythm twice.

> should BE similar
Already fixed.

grumd wrote:

2.
Avoid beginning ¼ sliders on unsupported blue ticks. Often white/red ticks should be prioritized even if the same sound sample is used for blue ticks. If there is a distinctly important sound on the blue tick, however, beginning a ¼ slider there can be acceptable.

probably would want to emphasize that blue tick sound should be more distinct than red/white to start a slider there

3.
Spinners should be used when they fit the music. They usually fit during held notes, changes in intensity, or transitions between sections. This is to ensure score differences among perfect plays on the leaderboard.

3rd sentence refers to 1st so its better like this

Spinners should be used when they fit the music. This is to ensure score differences among perfect plays on the leaderboard. They usually fit during held notes, changes in intensity, or transitions between sections.

4.
Avoid following multiple layers of the song if it is unclear what rhythm is prioritizing. Players should be able to discern what part of the song is being followed.

probably should add that this mostly applies to lower diffs
Will discuss.
Although I disagree that 4. should mostly apply to lower diffs, because it's bad to follow 'everything' in Insane too. Mostly it leads to 1/2 or 1/4 spam without recognizable rhythm.

Koiyuki wrote:

i think custom combo color have to be used, which can be added to the rule 2 in general.

also it seems changing .osu file is not banned, from my side we can allow some of the changing by .osu file like sv, str, lr and some of the slider go through the timing section(red line)......

other seems fine.
Each map must use at least two different custom combo colors unless the default skin is forced.
is already here... I don't really understand what you want to say regarding colors.

Changing .osu files is still banned like before, because it is part of the all-mode Ranking Crieria. This one here is only std-specific.
posted

Desperate-kun wrote:

Each map must use at least two different custom combo colors unless the default skin is forced.
is already here... I don't really understand what you want to say regarding colors.

Changing .osu files is still banned like before, because it is part of the all-mode Ranking Crieria. This one here is only std-specific.
eh that's a misreading, because i met a map which doesnt set any combo color, also unforced default skin, and get bubbled.

for std rule, i remember that charles445 mentioned that the stack leniency can be set as 0 by changing .osu file, also it's rankable. So I think we should mention it in std rule.
posted

Koiyuki wrote:

Desperate-kun wrote:

Each map must use at least two different custom combo colors unless the default skin is forced.
is already here... I don't really understand what you want to say regarding colors.

Changing .osu files is still banned like before, because it is part of the all-mode Ranking Crieria. This one here is only std-specific.
eh that's a misreading, because i met a map which doesnt set any combo color, also unforced default skin, and get bubbled.
Yeah, because currently that is allowed. When this RC will be ammended it won't be allowed anymore.

Koiyuki wrote:

for std rule, i remember that charles445 mentioned that the stack leniency can be set as 0 by changing .osu file, also it's rankable. So I think we should mention it in std rule.
It will still be included in the all-mode RC though, except if we decide to do otherwise when we will discuss that topic. For now this won't be added here as that rule is still covered by the general RC.
posted
Changing .osu files is still banned like before, because it is part of the all-mode Ranking Crieria. This one here is only std-specific.
This is wrong.

Do not manually edit anything in an .osu file that cannot be changed through the Editor.
There's an important part there.
posted

grumd wrote:

Changing .osu files is still banned like before, because it is part of the all-mode Ranking Crieria. This one here is only std-specific.
This is wrong.

Do not manually edit anything in an .osu file that cannot be changed through the Editor.
There's an important part there.
That's what I meant, my sentence structure was a bit weird. I meant the same aspects about .osu editing like before are banned, because of the all-mode Criteria.
posted
Do not manually edit anything in an .osu file that cannot be changed through the Editor.
Does adding Skinning stuff like, colours of sliderborder and slidertrackoverride is still considered as manual editing through the .osu file? and does it will still allowed if the new RC applies?
posted

Haruto wrote:

Do not manually edit anything in an .osu file that cannot be changed through the Editor.
Does adding Skinning stuff like, colours of sliderborder and slidertrackoverride is still considered as manual editing through the .osu file? and does it will still allowed if the new RC applies?
The all-mode Ranking Criteria will be updated later, which will cover this issue, too. The RC is incredibly outdated.
Obviously, editing sliderborder and slidertrackoverride will NEVER be unrankable, because it's necessary.
posted

Desperate-kun wrote:

Haruto wrote:

Does adding Skinning stuff like, colours of sliderborder and slidertrackoverride is still considered as manual editing through the .osu file? and does it will still allowed if the new RC applies?
The all-mode Ranking Criteria will be updated later, which will cover this issue, too. The RC is incredibly outdated.
Obviously, editing sliderborder and slidertrackoverride will NEVER be unrankable, because it's necessary.
Oh i understand then. I Thought they will come as unrankable if the map dont have any custom skin files lol.
posted
Just my own notes made public about the things we should have to address in a revision anyways based on the input from several sides so far (+my own thoughts after hearing a few things):

Desperate-kun wrote:

All repeat arrows on sliders must be visible, excluding short repeating sliders. In those cases, only the first repeat has to be visible, since the other repeats are expected. Test play your map to confirm if repeat arrows are visible.
Should get a sentence explaining why this even is a requirement

Desperate-kun wrote:

All circles and slider heads should be snapped to distinct sounds in the music. Adding objects where there is no musical cue to justify them can result in confusing patterns and unfitting rhythms.
Instead of calling it confusing this should probably say something among the lines of inventing objects that contradict what the song offers goes against the basic intention of a rhythm game that follows a song

Desperate-kun wrote:

Avoid overlapping objects with other elements of the default skin. This includes elements such as the HP-bar, combocounter, progressbar or the score meter.
while it is already kind of hinting that it probalby only means skinnable elements i feel like this should include a list of things that are involved here, otherwise nobody knows how and what to check for in which resolutions whatsoever because it's a tad too vague

Desperate-kun wrote:

Avoid using high tick rates combined with low slider velocity. Receiving feedback from slider ticks that are not visible can be uncomfortable.
Would rather say that hearing ticking and not seeing anything that causes it is similar to storyboarded samples playing in the middle of something

Desperate-kun wrote:

Buzz sliders must have appropriate delay before the next note. 1/8 and 1/16 sliders should be followed by a 1/4 gap, whereas 1/12 sliders should be followed by a 1/6 gap. This ensures that the hit-window between objects is playable.
Guideline wording would suggest must -> should

Desperate-kun wrote:

Avoid excessive composition differences in similar sections of a song. The basic spacing and rhythm should be similar, while patterning can vary. This is to ensure players do not get confused when playing the same rhythm twice.
should rather say section and back this up that a composition of objects based on a song should not be vastly different if a repeated section is played as a more logical argument because most of the times this does not confuse players, it just does not make much sense from a game design perspective

Desperate-kun wrote:

Try to spread your object placement evenly across the playfield. Objects cluttered in one region of the screen can be uncomfortable to play when there isn’t clear intent behind their placement.
similar approach to getting rid of "uncomfortable": the composing area is an entire screen so it should be used for keeping placement balanced, unless the idea is to clearly do otherwise. If you randomly end up just being in the same place you could argue that you mapped yourself into circles and should attempt to balance your placement given that you have a ton of space left out.

also get rid of contraction "isn’t" -> is not
posted
Objects on or ending on nothing in the music is still wrong, even if the popular opinion doesn't agree. If you're allowed to put stuff where there isn't anything, why bother creating a rule set at all?

Setting a slider end to volume 0 is a band-aid solution to the problem. If there's nothing in the music, the player has to hold for an arbitrarily long time. It no longer becomes a skill to play sliders when you have to guess when it will end (1/4 to the next beat? 1/6? 3/8?). Having a slider end on a beat in the music eliminates this ambiguity. Furthermore, the only reason these sliders of arbitrary length exist is because the game for some reason does not allow an object to play at another object's end. If there's nowhere in the music for you to end the slider before the next time you want to click, the correct solution is to not use a slider at all.
posted
Well, there exist hold sounds that fade out - theyre not fit to use a circle but there's no distinct end. I'm thinking of the ending slider of MiddleIsland Aldo [Angelhoney] and similar usage cases here.
If there's a context you can put the sliderend into I certainly agree with you but I think trivialising sliderendusage isn't the way to go.
posted

those wrote:

Objects on or ending on nothing in the music is still wrong, even if the popular opinion doesn't agree. If you're allowed to put stuff where there isn't anything, why bother creating a rule set at all?
When mapping you follow a certain dominant layer, and you want to emphasize that layer as much as possible depending on your way of using rhythms. Extended sliders that end on nothing can be used if a hold note needs to be emphasized but the beat the note ends on also needs to be clickable, because it is probably as strong or stronger than other clickable beats in the map.
There are also cases where 1/6 can be simplified as 1/4, for example, or similar things that may require putting even clickable objects on nothing to improve the readability and playability of a map. After all, osu! maps aren't just about following the song, they are also made to be played.

After all, we should aim to follow the songs as close as possible, but there also needs to be proper emphasis and the maps need to be playable, which may require mapping on nothing at some point. Mapping on nothing is basically only allowed if it makes the map feel more related to the song, rather than how you assume less related.

those wrote:

Setting a slider end to volume 0 is a band-aid solution to the problem. If there's nothing in the music, the player has to hold for an arbitrarily long time. It no longer becomes a skill to play sliders when you have to guess when it will end (1/4 to the next beat? 1/6? 3/8?). Having a slider end on a beat in the music eliminates this ambiguity. Furthermore, the only reason these sliders of arbitrary length exist is because the game for some reason does not allow an object to play at another object's end. If there's nowhere in the music for you to end the slider before the next time you want to click, the correct solution is to not use a slider at all.
What Endaris said. Also, certain hitsounds can sound noisy in calm songs, in which case they can be muted. Slider ends don't necessarily need to give feedback to the player as they are not strict with the timing of releasing the key.
posted

Desperate-kun wrote:

but there also needs to be proper emphasis and the maps need to be playable, which may require mapping on nothing at some point
What you need to realize is that not all music is meant to be mapped. If a song is to be mapped it should be done according to what's in the music. Otherwise, you can just create something over a blank audio file and come up with some reason that somehow satisfies someone. Mapping on nothing is a lazy excuse for not wanting to think about how to actually make the objects fit or align with the music. This applies to both objects and end of objects.
show more
Please sign in to reply.