1. osu! forums
  2. osu!
  3. Development
  4. Ranking Criteria
  5. Finalized/Denied Amendments
show more
posted

Sieg wrote:

Both slider border and body colors must be manually set or not set. Setting only one may conflict with a user’s custom skin choices.
Can you please elaborate this?
I think it's meant that if you set for example a red sliderborder and a user has a red slidertrack in their own skin the sliderborder won't be visible anymore thus skinning both is mandatory if you skin one.
posted

Sieg wrote:

Both slider border and body colors must be manually set or not set. Setting only one may conflict with a user’s custom skin choices.
Can you please elaborate this?
When a user set one of those in their skin (or both) and a mapper sets only one of them, they might end up being the same color.

It's a bit unfortunate that it's not possible to force the slidertrack taking the color of the combo colors automatically, like it is in the default skin. We will do our best to make the devs implement this, and then we can remove this rule. But for now, we want to ensure maximum compatibility with player's skins.
posted

Desperate-kun wrote:

Quote:
Every slider must have a clear and visible path to follow from start to end.
Ohhhh I was thinking that in terms of visibility. Like for example, a slider fully in view has a visible path from start to end, but not necessarily has the velocity or consistent velocity which can indicate the time the path starts and the time the path ends.
posted

abraker wrote:

Desperate-kun wrote:

Quote:
Every slider must have a clear and visible path to follow from start to end.
Ohhhh I was thinking that in terms of visibility. Like for example, a slider fully in view has a visible path from start to end, but not necessarily has the velocity or consistent velocity which can indicate the time the path starts and the time the path ends.
No, this one is for preventing burai and hold sliders like explained after the bold text.
posted

Desperate-kun wrote:

It's a bit unfortunate that it's not possible to force the slidertrack taking the color of the combo colors automatically, like it is in the default skin. We will do our best to make the devs implement this, and then we can remove this rule. But for now, we want to ensure maximum compatibility with player's skins.
So if you use custom slider skin element in your map you must set sliderborder, if you have sliderborder set you must set sliderbody? This means sliderbody cannot use combo colors and forced to a single color until feature for this will be implemented by the devs, right?
posted

Sieg wrote:

Desperate-kun wrote:

It's a bit unfortunate that it's not possible to force the slidertrack taking the color of the combo colors automatically, like it is in the default skin. We will do our best to make the devs implement this, and then we can remove this rule. But for now, we want to ensure maximum compatibility with player's skins.
So if you use custom slider skin element in your map you must set sliderborder, if you have sliderborder set you must set sliderbody? This means sliderbody cannot use combo colors and forced to a single color until feature for this will be implemented by the devs, right?
Unfortunately, yes. If someone doesn't find a workaround for this (which I highly doubt will happen).
posted
You might want to add a guideline about using custom numbers in your beatmap skin.

If the player has a HitCircleOverlap or ScoreOverlap value set in their skin.ini and uses the beatmap skin, osu! will use the player's Overlap settings with the beatmap skin's numbers, which, more often than not, just makes a mess...
posted

quaternary wrote:

You might want to add a guideline about using custom numbers in your beatmap skin.

If the player has a HitCircleOverlap or ScoreOverlap value set in their skin.ini and uses the beatmap skin, osu! will use the player's Overlap settings with the beatmap skin's numbers, which, more often than not, just makes a mess...
We consulted this and we cannot do this right now. We have no ability to change required values in .osu file for making these work completely, once that is possible, we'll bring the rule. We are aware this causes an issue, but for now, it's only fixable via forcing the default skin (which changes way too many things, if we basically want to change one value). There's one guideline requiring default skin as preferred too, so I agree it doesn't make sense to stay. I planned to create a feature request for this so that we can complete the skinning rules.
posted

Desperate-kun wrote:

Sieg wrote:

So if you use custom slider skin element in your map you must set sliderborder, if you have sliderborder set you must set sliderbody? This means sliderbody cannot use combo colors and forced to a single color until feature for this will be implemented by the devs, right?
Unfortunately, yes. If someone doesn't find a workaround for this (which I highly doubt will happen).
uh, alright, but this is such a huge limiting in skining to cover just a few edgy cases that may occur
posted

Sieg wrote:

uh, alright, but this is such a huge limiting in skining to cover just a few edgy cases that may occur
will discuss this again
posted
copy pasting this
not sure what was fixed already
1. there is a typo.

Avoid excessive composition differences in similar sections of a song. The basic spacing and rhythm should similar, while patterning can vary. This is to ensure players do not get confused when playing the same rhythm twice.

> should BE similar

2.
Avoid beginning ¼ sliders on unsupported blue ticks. Often white/red ticks should be prioritized even if the same sound sample is used for blue ticks. If there is a distinctly important sound on the blue tick, however, beginning a ¼ slider there can be acceptable.

probably would want to emphasize that blue tick sound should be more distinct than red/white to start a slider there

3.
Spinners should be used when they fit the music. They usually fit during held notes, changes in intensity, or transitions between sections. This is to ensure score differences among perfect plays on the leaderboard.

3rd sentence refers to 1st so its better like this

Spinners should be used when they fit the music. This is to ensure score differences among perfect plays on the leaderboard. They usually fit during held notes, changes in intensity, or transitions between sections.

4.
Avoid following multiple layers of the song if it is unclear what rhythm is prioritizing. Players should be able to discern what part of the song is being followed.

probably should add that this mostly applies to lower diffs
posted
looks good so far, i can already see the unnecessary limitations before have been removed.
posted
i think custom combo color have to be used, which can be added to the rule 2 in general.

also it seems changing .osu file is not banned, from my side we can allow some of the changing by .osu file like sv, str, lr and some of the slider go through the timing section(red line)......

other seems fine.
posted

grumd wrote:

copy pasting this
not sure what was fixed already
1. there is a typo.

Avoid excessive composition differences in similar sections of a song. The basic spacing and rhythm should similar, while patterning can vary. This is to ensure players do not get confused when playing the same rhythm twice.

> should BE similar
Already fixed.

grumd wrote:

2.
Avoid beginning ¼ sliders on unsupported blue ticks. Often white/red ticks should be prioritized even if the same sound sample is used for blue ticks. If there is a distinctly important sound on the blue tick, however, beginning a ¼ slider there can be acceptable.

probably would want to emphasize that blue tick sound should be more distinct than red/white to start a slider there

3.
Spinners should be used when they fit the music. They usually fit during held notes, changes in intensity, or transitions between sections. This is to ensure score differences among perfect plays on the leaderboard.

3rd sentence refers to 1st so its better like this

Spinners should be used when they fit the music. This is to ensure score differences among perfect plays on the leaderboard. They usually fit during held notes, changes in intensity, or transitions between sections.

4.
Avoid following multiple layers of the song if it is unclear what rhythm is prioritizing. Players should be able to discern what part of the song is being followed.

probably should add that this mostly applies to lower diffs
Will discuss.
Although I disagree that 4. should mostly apply to lower diffs, because it's bad to follow 'everything' in Insane too. Mostly it leads to 1/2 or 1/4 spam without recognizable rhythm.

Koiyuki wrote:

i think custom combo color have to be used, which can be added to the rule 2 in general.

also it seems changing .osu file is not banned, from my side we can allow some of the changing by .osu file like sv, str, lr and some of the slider go through the timing section(red line)......

other seems fine.
Each map must use at least two different custom combo colors unless the default skin is forced.
is already here... I don't really understand what you want to say regarding colors.

Changing .osu files is still banned like before, because it is part of the all-mode Ranking Crieria. This one here is only std-specific.
posted

Desperate-kun wrote:

Each map must use at least two different custom combo colors unless the default skin is forced.
is already here... I don't really understand what you want to say regarding colors.

Changing .osu files is still banned like before, because it is part of the all-mode Ranking Crieria. This one here is only std-specific.
eh that's a misreading, because i met a map which doesnt set any combo color, also unforced default skin, and get bubbled.

for std rule, i remember that charles445 mentioned that the stack leniency can be set as 0 by changing .osu file, also it's rankable. So I think we should mention it in std rule.
posted

Koiyuki wrote:

Desperate-kun wrote:

Each map must use at least two different custom combo colors unless the default skin is forced.
is already here... I don't really understand what you want to say regarding colors.

Changing .osu files is still banned like before, because it is part of the all-mode Ranking Crieria. This one here is only std-specific.
eh that's a misreading, because i met a map which doesnt set any combo color, also unforced default skin, and get bubbled.
Yeah, because currently that is allowed. When this RC will be ammended it won't be allowed anymore.

Koiyuki wrote:

for std rule, i remember that charles445 mentioned that the stack leniency can be set as 0 by changing .osu file, also it's rankable. So I think we should mention it in std rule.
It will still be included in the all-mode RC though, except if we decide to do otherwise when we will discuss that topic. For now this won't be added here as that rule is still covered by the general RC.
posted
Changing .osu files is still banned like before, because it is part of the all-mode Ranking Crieria. This one here is only std-specific.
This is wrong.

Do not manually edit anything in an .osu file that cannot be changed through the Editor.
There's an important part there.
posted

grumd wrote:

Changing .osu files is still banned like before, because it is part of the all-mode Ranking Crieria. This one here is only std-specific.
This is wrong.

Do not manually edit anything in an .osu file that cannot be changed through the Editor.
There's an important part there.
That's what I meant, my sentence structure was a bit weird. I meant the same aspects about .osu editing like before are banned, because of the all-mode Criteria.
posted
Do not manually edit anything in an .osu file that cannot be changed through the Editor.
Does adding Skinning stuff like, colours of sliderborder and slidertrackoverride is still considered as manual editing through the .osu file? and does it will still allowed if the new RC applies?
posted

Haruto wrote:

Do not manually edit anything in an .osu file that cannot be changed through the Editor.
Does adding Skinning stuff like, colours of sliderborder and slidertrackoverride is still considered as manual editing through the .osu file? and does it will still allowed if the new RC applies?
The all-mode Ranking Criteria will be updated later, which will cover this issue, too. The RC is incredibly outdated.
Obviously, editing sliderborder and slidertrackoverride will NEVER be unrankable, because it's necessary.
show more
Please sign in to reply.