forum

Poll 10: Do you delete map elements?

posted
Total Posts

Do you delete map elements?

I delete everything on _every_ map (SB/Background/Skin).
11.44%
I delete elements on a regular basis.
10.70%
I delete elements only when they severely interfere with playing.
47.97%
I play the maps as they were made.
29.89%
Total votes: 271
Polling ended
show more
Randy96
that's hard core
excellions
delete everything
Kei

mokona99 wrote:

I delete backgrounds when they are suggestive or borderline-NSFW as I play osu! in my living room.
Omega
I am not one for deleting map elements. But I often replace them with a properly colored/better/easier to see ones. Or sometimes replace a normal video with another of a higher quality. Some backgrounds are really difficult to tolerate, being in a household with three children under ten years of age, those I delete/replace with similarly colored,"Safer" ones. Though, to be honest, I could also live with not being able to delete or change anything -- it will not make life much harder, I would simply have to disregard such maps/give them a low rating for their inability to provide a level of entertainment that reaches all ages and is unrestricting to play. (I sometimes try to suggest better options to the "offending" mapper when feasible)
pieguyn
Update: I rename map elements only when trying to play something with HR or DT. It makes everything easier because I can then read the followpoints, so I can read the map a lot better. I'll put it back when I'm done though. :?

(Now I completely understand why a lot of pro players delete stuff, HR and DT are practically impossible if you add a BG~ o.o)
Raging Bull
I delete elements only when they severely interfere with playing.

I play with white cursor so white BG + kiai and I'll be wtfblind.
bwross
I also don't delete... I put troublesome elements in a bak directory, which makes it easy to restore as well as find the maps I've changed.

The reasons:

1) Flashes. Most maps with the warning I have no problem with (I'm not epileptic)... but a handful hit me pretty hard with nausea and disorientation, which can still be effecting me an hour later. After it happened the first time I've become more proactive with removing flash images from maps at the first sign that they might effect me.

2) Can't easily see some or all of the approach circles (because if I didn't want to see them, I'd turn on Hidden). On some maps, it's because of the circles themselves... thin or partially transparent. A lot of the time it's because of one or two combo groups which blend too well with the background... sometimes its pastels on pastels, but a lot of the time it's a dark colour (typically near black grey, purple, or blue) on a dark background. A lot of the time I put up with it, but I really hate it. If there were controls to alter combo colours in the game, probably be using them a lot.

3) Things I think are just pointless... like replacing the combo break sound with a silent one.

Most other annoying stuff I put up with.

I will also admit that I have been tempted to do what others have suggested like replacing videos... either with higher quality ones, or with different videos (like replacing some of the Bad Apple videos for other versions just for variety). Similarly, there are a number of maps that use the same background (or no background)... I've been tempted to change some of those.
lolcubes
In most cases if the bg is very detailed (i.e. lots of colors, or other details) I will delete it in a heartbeat.
If it's a more simple one, then it all depends on the combo colors if I delete it or not.
All SB (unless it's really subtle) get's deleted instantly as well.
And I want to use my own skin only, so in 99% cases a skin which uses too detailed hitcircles and/or a custom hitburst skin, it just has to go. ;x;
Ussuru
I hate bright bgs, they are a huge pain in the butt. I like my custom skin which I made myself, I am happy with it, thank you, don't force me to play a TOUHOU or default skin EVER again, please... I beg you. But if you really, really tried your skin on all diffs not just easy, and you found that awesome, you skinned it and made an awesome SB which is helpful and not being an offense to my eyes then yes, I won't delete it. Until I put HR+DT there.
Nazeko
• I delete elements only when they severely interfere with playing.
• Also, I delete them if they are not safe for work, ecchi stuff, etc
• I delete inverted background as SB :o
[Au]-[Revoir]

excellions wrote:

delete everything
shaNk_old
Pretty sure most top tier players delete everything as it has a big impact on ur gameplay, and so do I , I'd rather have better gameplay instead of cool looking (he says hoping not to see forced bgs on osz2 : P)
-Shi_old
Deleting everything, especially crappy skins that gives a weird feel to the gameplay. (one map had an 8-bit pokemon skin, that was when I started to delete everyting)
Saya Takagi_old
i delete BG to use Flashlights in longs songs..
Yarissa
I delete everything all day erry day. Having anything other from default skin seriously makes me angry.
Nactra
wether i'm playing competitively (solo) or casually(multi), i awlays have my song folder open so i can delete_every_single_visuals.
any form of visuals that aren't essiential part of the gameplay should not be there in the first place.
i don't delete custom histounds tough.but mostly beacause they never bother me,not beacause i like them.
RhaiizoN
Im playing with a blank background(black). I just rename it the title name for ex: 'BG' changed to 'BG(space)asdassadasd' instead of delete the BG, SB or other elements
Haruhi_sama
;)
palion
i love deleting bgs, sbs, and skins

does that make me a bad person :\
Esupanitix
Skin elements, only if they're obnoxious and annoying to play with.

Other than that, no.
Huskatron
I NEVER delete elements. I changed quite a few options in osu! and everything runs fine. Even on my 2-year-old laptop running osu! from a 1TB External HDD.
Louis Cyphre
I'm doing following everytime:
Renaming Background name from BG to BGa, renaming osb file from xxxxx.osb to xxxxxa.osb. And when i want to take it back, i just rename files to original names.
Dedylllka_GROM
Deleting by rename only if it distracts me from getting easy hit after 5-10 tries. After getting good result, I'm returning it back. Otherwise, no.
Haseo_old

Esupanitix wrote:

Skin elements, only if they're obnoxious and annoying to play with.

Other than that, no.
Neruell
Personally I think that "most" players in osu! don't delete all the elements. Some just like they way it looks and don't go straight into #1 on super insane's, others simply "respect" the mapper's work and keep it even if it may be so bad "created", some people maybe don't even know how to do it, or don't even think about it.

I played without deleting anything for a year and was "happy" untill I realised that deleting/replacing some stuff can help me improve on some maps. Although in the end if you play the map 100000 times you can for sure play even blind and nothing will disturb you since you just memorized everything, but using "this" just makes it less frustrating. I am sure that this issue with deleting anything about the map itself mostly concerns only people who try to get higher rank / top 40 at least.

So actually there are for sure not SO many people doing that, but I guess for people like me and I guess it's the minority, it is very "important" to have such a "freedom" to delete anything, or replace with our own, of course except for music/video.
AuraBlaze
I did not even know it was possible to delete elements from a beatmap. Although the poll ended before I even knew osu! existed, I still have something to say to reply here. If I do choose to delete elements, it would be these:

Video Backgrounds: Nothing personal about it. I would delete videos from the background to save space on my hard drive.

Background Images: Up until now I had completely deleted several beatmaps from my library because of an image in the background. Now that I know I can delete the background image itself, it shouldn't happen anyone. No examples of what I have deleted will be given --because everyone has different opinions on what is offensive material, this is irrelevant anyway.
Qliphoth_old
Just Look my signature.

I delete every ".jpg, .png, .osb, .avi, .flv, .wmv, .mpg" file... It's so annoying play with BG or SB (I don't delete BG when exist a black circle, damn with it)
Neruell
Btw I don't mind even redownloading everything again after deleting but mostly after I have achieved everything I wanted since it does look way more beautiful with all the elements.
Qliphoth_old
When osz2 comes, a lot of people just leave the game... I think.
MMzz

xMatryoshka wrote:

10$ says someone will just crack it and tell everyone how to =p
Sander-Don

MMzz wrote:

xMatryoshka wrote:

10$ says someone will just crack it and tell everyone how to =p
I know 2 people that already know how to do it. js
Neruell
well it would be bannable then and even though most people wont risk it then but anyway "when osz2 will come" I hear that since 2 years and since then nothing happened. Till it really comes out people will for sure leave osu.
Farmer_old
delete everything. if i dont delete it, how can i play HR and DT?
Mercurial

Farmer wrote:

delete everything. if i dont delete it, how can i play HR and DT?

Well, just play THIS in CTB with Hidden and that annoying SB, it's impossible.
Xanaehla
I play the maps as they were made ~
VoidnOwO
I delete everything every time when the map's BG isn't related to the song in any way. ztrot
Disturbing SB isn't really an issue since I'd have to play the map at least once before trying a real score anyway, and then I could just disable it.

MMzz wrote:

someone will just crack it and tell everyone how to =p
TheVileOne
Never.

Not much point to now anyways. I have a 40 GB Harddrive. If you're complaining your maps take up too much space, then you need to consider removing other content from your HDD.
Stefan
This necro. lol
Anyway, there is no sense to delete Map Elements anymore because you-know-why.
loldcraft
I sometimes change the health drain.(to make it easier) I like seeing how i can "level up" my health drain and eventually pass on the song's default health drain.
Mercurial
This thread became useless and needs to be closed.

Meh.-
show more