forum

Poll 10: Do you delete map elements?

posted
Total Posts

Do you delete map elements?

I delete everything on _every_ map (SB/Background/Skin).
11.44%
I delete elements on a regular basis.
10.70%
I delete elements only when they severely interfere with playing.
47.97%
I play the maps as they were made.
29.89%
Total votes: 271
Polling ended
show more
Kaoru Evans
I only move the SB (when i have lag) to other folder and later i restore it :3
Kodoshi
I delete everything in every map because it helps me a lot on increasing the fps so i can move faster, and by faster i mean more normal than a laggy retarded movement.

I'm doing this only because it helps me playing better if the computer has a better performance, i couldn't have cared less about the visual stuff if they didn't do anything to my weak computer :|

When i'll get a better computer ( i don't think it will happen soon though..) i'll stop deleting stuff.
Gens
I play the maps as they were made. Maybe because I find it too bothersome to go find the beatmap's folder and delete everything there.
When something lags me, I just wait for my computer to get "better" (restarting often helps), or just play something else. Storyboards generally don't affect me though; whenever I get lag spikes, I get them globally, and I can get through any skin pretty much fine (except of course if it's an horribly horrible skin, but I don't recall any, probably because I don't play as much anime as everyone else).
lyh20050329
If I delete the elements.
I think the map will be tedious~~~

maybe it will let me make more "miss" when I'am playing.

but I think It is the important parts of th OSU!

I like them~~~
Teras
Maps should be played as they were meant to be. The only exception I would make is if it's as flashy as that map James made a while ago.
blazen_old
You can delete custom skins? I did not even know you could do that. Some custom skins really kill me. I guess I play them as they are meant to be.
ab721112

statementreply wrote:

1. sb that causes lag
  2. sb that makes me feel sick (eg. with the whole image flashing/rotating/moving)
  3. hit 300 100 50 if the colors look alike
  4. spinner without center
  5. approachcircle and hitcircleoverlay sometimes
  6. ...
Ekoro
I've forget if i have already post here...

Hum , it depends. If it's only "switch-BG", it's okay , but if it's like Strange Program , huh , no no no D:
lkjl23
KRZY

NeverDie wrote:

on my horrible computer (which I'm sure most players in countries like china have)
...the typical ignorant American/banana

Also yeah I know peppy keeps saying SB lags aren't supposed to happen but, truth is, they do.
ziin
China makes most of our electronics and thus can get them for cheaper...
LaceWingfield
well i didn't delete anything
because i already get used with some annoying elements.
Maxer00
I only delete those super-special-HD quality-awesome videos,when I get tired of 'no-video' them,because my PC is a monster...in a old way,ya know.
loli66
well i not delet elements becuase sometimes this elements are need for help in the experience of play that map, but sometimes i only download with the option "download without video" because the video sometimes give lag very bad
Equivalent_old
When it come to disturb my gameplay, no doubt I will delete it immediately. As a player, I prefer more score than art
Gon
Delete elements on a regular basis. I've been playing on black backgrounds on other rhythm games and I still prefer to keep it that way.
SYSEN
no because i was too lazy to search the song folder

peppy wrote:

Deleting storybaords, backgrounds and skins is possible due to the currently open nature of beatmaps. Without getting into a debate over what is right or wrong, I would like to know the general ratio of people who do this -- mainly to reinforce my beliefs that the number isn't as high as some people think.

If you make a post starting any kind of debate it will be removed.

If you choose the last option, providing examples of maps is highly encouraged!
Nadina120
I play no vid
Vulf
No video is perma on.

Only thing that really bothers me are some of the custom skins. I prefer my own skin most of the time ;)
mokona99
I delete backgrounds when they are suggestive or borderline-NSFW as I play osu! in my living room.
Rena-chan
Hell no !
If anything, I add a custom skin, video, or SB to maps that deserve it. No deleting things here, unless they make maps REALLY unplayable.
OzzyOzrock
I've only ever deleted HORRIBLY distracting SBs, such as ones that move around, which can REALLY be bad on taiko, and a skin that just made playing painful, because it was half transparent.

Hell no !
If anything, I add a custom skin, video, or SB to maps that deserve it. No deleting things here, unless they make maps REALLY unplayable.
The hell? How ;_;?
Decipher

OzzyOzrock wrote:

I've only ever deleted HORRIBLY distracting SBs, such as ones that move around, which can REALLY be bad on taiko, and a skin that just made playing painful, because it was half transparent.
Heh, agreed. I do same too. A_A
07 Ghost
I delete pretty much all of that. Screw owner's skins. I'm going to play how I want to play.
KRZY

07 Ghost wrote:

I delete pretty much all of that. Screw owner's skins. I'm going to play how I want to play.

'ㅅ')b
Crakila
Say for example - Infected Mushroom - Becoming Insane has a annoying strobing effect which annoys me. I had to delete the flashing.

Same applied to Alice Deejay - Better Off Alone

Maybe there should be a rule to not use these types of strobing..for anyone!!
Cheer-no
I only deleted the BG on StrangeProgram. Too headache-inducing...
Rena-chan

OzzyOzrock wrote:

Hell no !
The hell? How ;_;?
.osb editing. As long as I don't touch the .osu, I can insert however many SB elements I want in an already ranked map without breaking it for me. :>
Wishy
I should change my vote to always.
Randy96
that's hard core
excellions
delete everything
Kei

mokona99 wrote:

I delete backgrounds when they are suggestive or borderline-NSFW as I play osu! in my living room.
Omega
I am not one for deleting map elements. But I often replace them with a properly colored/better/easier to see ones. Or sometimes replace a normal video with another of a higher quality. Some backgrounds are really difficult to tolerate, being in a household with three children under ten years of age, those I delete/replace with similarly colored,"Safer" ones. Though, to be honest, I could also live with not being able to delete or change anything -- it will not make life much harder, I would simply have to disregard such maps/give them a low rating for their inability to provide a level of entertainment that reaches all ages and is unrestricting to play. (I sometimes try to suggest better options to the "offending" mapper when feasible)
pieguyn
Update: I rename map elements only when trying to play something with HR or DT. It makes everything easier because I can then read the followpoints, so I can read the map a lot better. I'll put it back when I'm done though. :?

(Now I completely understand why a lot of pro players delete stuff, HR and DT are practically impossible if you add a BG~ o.o)
Raging Bull
I delete elements only when they severely interfere with playing.

I play with white cursor so white BG + kiai and I'll be wtfblind.
bwross
I also don't delete... I put troublesome elements in a bak directory, which makes it easy to restore as well as find the maps I've changed.

The reasons:

1) Flashes. Most maps with the warning I have no problem with (I'm not epileptic)... but a handful hit me pretty hard with nausea and disorientation, which can still be effecting me an hour later. After it happened the first time I've become more proactive with removing flash images from maps at the first sign that they might effect me.

2) Can't easily see some or all of the approach circles (because if I didn't want to see them, I'd turn on Hidden). On some maps, it's because of the circles themselves... thin or partially transparent. A lot of the time it's because of one or two combo groups which blend too well with the background... sometimes its pastels on pastels, but a lot of the time it's a dark colour (typically near black grey, purple, or blue) on a dark background. A lot of the time I put up with it, but I really hate it. If there were controls to alter combo colours in the game, probably be using them a lot.

3) Things I think are just pointless... like replacing the combo break sound with a silent one.

Most other annoying stuff I put up with.

I will also admit that I have been tempted to do what others have suggested like replacing videos... either with higher quality ones, or with different videos (like replacing some of the Bad Apple videos for other versions just for variety). Similarly, there are a number of maps that use the same background (or no background)... I've been tempted to change some of those.
lolcubes
In most cases if the bg is very detailed (i.e. lots of colors, or other details) I will delete it in a heartbeat.
If it's a more simple one, then it all depends on the combo colors if I delete it or not.
All SB (unless it's really subtle) get's deleted instantly as well.
And I want to use my own skin only, so in 99% cases a skin which uses too detailed hitcircles and/or a custom hitburst skin, it just has to go. ;x;
Ussuru
I hate bright bgs, they are a huge pain in the butt. I like my custom skin which I made myself, I am happy with it, thank you, don't force me to play a TOUHOU or default skin EVER again, please... I beg you. But if you really, really tried your skin on all diffs not just easy, and you found that awesome, you skinned it and made an awesome SB which is helpful and not being an offense to my eyes then yes, I won't delete it. Until I put HR+DT there.
Nazeko
• I delete elements only when they severely interfere with playing.
• Also, I delete them if they are not safe for work, ecchi stuff, etc
• I delete inverted background as SB :o
show more