forum

BLACKPINK - BOOMBAYAH

posted
Total Posts
show more
Monstrata
That's not "overmapping". If anything its simplifying an otherwise dubious rhythm. Nathan's proposed snapping is more accurate if you want to be perfectly accurate to the song, but that rhythm is really unfitting to the song and section imo. It works, but I think Natsu's current rhythm choice is already very predictable. Not all songs are made for rhythm games, so stuff like this is bound to happen with vocals.

The rhythm currently being used makes logical sense, and the section at 100% speed sounds like 1/4 rhythms. You should anticipate and expect 1/4 rhythm anyways when you consider the rest of the song, the song's pacing and rhythms being employed, as well as the jump spacing, etc...

As well, the instruments are definitely on beat so there is still a consistent and correct offset going through the section.
Pachiru
Chill guys, there is no way to be toxic, it's just a topic thread ^w^

Now Natsu, I would like to know if the 1/8 stream is allowed (if the mapset is qualified, I suppose yes, but it looks pretty hard to me owo)
I was just asking, so don't worry ^w^ here → 02:53:693 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) -

emillia don't be toxic anymore pls ;w;
Topic Starter
Natsu

Pachiru wrote:

Chill guys, there is no way to be toxic, it's just a topic thread ^w^

Now Natsu, I would like to know if the 1/8 stream is allowed (if the mapset is qualified, I suppose yes, but it looks pretty hard to me owo)
I was just asking, so don't worry ^w^

emillia don't be toxic anymore pls ;w;
depend of the bpm, this is 125 bpm song so the 1/8s are 1/4s at 250 bpm, they are acceptables .
Pachiru
ohhh yeah i understand now
emilia

Natsu wrote:

Emilia I really I think you lack of manners alot and that's why I don't takeyou seriously, your claim about being 28 or 30 rank doesn't matter (look at your acc), when you post in a map thread it, do it with respect if you want to be taken seriously. Look at sukinathan post simple without bad words, that's alot better than any of your post.

Anyways don't worry as I explained, 1/6s are often simplified to 1/4s and that part sounds better in 1/4 to me and I think is better for the gameplay in general, anyways I'm asking to some QATs as soon as they get online, since none is online atm, to get their opinions about the matter, since isn't only about snapping, but also about playability, yeah smashing keys and fc isn't something that i want, that's why I worry about that weird snaps. If they don't agree with the current way I'll remove the 1/4s and keep the 1/2s only, but I think the 1/4s are somehow acceptables.
boi with the acc roast

Monstrata wrote:

That's not "overmapping". If anything its simplifying an otherwise dubious rhythm. Nathan's proposed snapping is more accurate if you want to be perfectly accurate to the song, but that rhythm is really unfitting to the song and section imo. It works, but I think Natsu's current rhythm choice is already very predictable. Not all songs are made for rhythm games, so stuff like this is bound to happen with vocals.

The rhythm currently being used makes logical sense, and the section at 100% speed sounds like 1/4 rhythms. You should anticipate and expect 1/4 rhythm anyways when you consider the rest of the song, the song's pacing and rhythms being employed, as well as the jump spacing, etc...

As well, the instruments are definitely on beat so there is still a consistent and correct offset going through the section.
simplification to rhythm makes sense when its obvious that the music snaps to nothing on something like 1/12 and beyond, like when theres a glissando or a trill that can't exactly be placed on a certain beat snap division

sure its predictable, but that shouldnt be a reason to ignore the music entirely?? theres literally NOTHING on the hitcircles and hitcircles are supposed to emphasise something strong in the music. the only thing thats strong here is how deaf natsu is
Topic Starter
Natsu

[ Emillia ] wrote:

simplification to rhythm makes sense when its obvious that the music snaps to nothing on something like 1/12 and beyond, like when theres a glissando or a trill that can't exactly be placed on a certain beat snap division

sure its predictable, but that shouldnt be a reason to ignore the music entirely?? theres literally NOTHING on the hitcircles and hitcircles are supposed to emphasise something strong in the music. the only thing thats strong here is how deaf natsu is

I already gave u all the reasons why the 1/4s work better, it is what is supposed to be, yeah u can tell is 1/6 at hearing with 25%, but at 100% speed people will assimilate it as a 1/4 like the rest of the map, throwing 1/6s there will just throw off any player wich is following at certain rhythm, since the vocals aren't something strong that can define a beat there, doing something simple as 1/4s works better. BTW simplification to the rhythm works when it does improve the gameplay experience which is the case here, not only when is 1/12 or so, many 1/6s quarter notes are mapped as 1/4 triplets in alot of maps, because that works alot better and that's also is the case here, yes I asked a lot of good accuracy players in the top 1 - 100 (some of them are listed in the OP) and they have literally 0 problems at this part which not gonna be the case with randoms 1/6s.

your only argument is that is 1/6, but u don't tell me why it gonna work better in the actual gameplay, if you look at the players replay, they play that part naturally, since at full speed the 1/4 is intuitive.
emilia

Natsu wrote:

I already gave u all the reasons why the 1/4s work better, it is what is supposed to be, yeah u can tell is 1/6 at hearing with 25%, but at 100% speed people will assimilate it as a 1/4 like the rest of the map, throwing 1/6s there will just throw off any player wich is following at certain rhythm, since the vocals aren't something strong that can define a beat there, doing something simple as 1/4s works better. BTW simplification to the rhythm works when it does improve the gameplay experience which is the case here, not only when is 1/12 or so, many 1/6s quarter notes are mapped as 1/4 triplets in alot of maps, because that works alot better and that's also is the case here, yes I asked a lot of good accuracy players in the top 1 - 100 (some of them are listed in the OP) and they have literally 0 problems at this part which not gonna be the case with randoms 1/6s.

your only argument is that is 1/6, but u don't tell me why it gonna work better in the actual gameplay, if you look at the players replay, they play that part naturally, since at full speed the 1/4 is intuitive.
there are multiple ways to map 1/6 rhythm without being counterintuitive, you dont just assume a position in which "oh it works" and run with it because, at times, it DOESNT work to begin with. why it works is because of momentum continuation, but you dont see people mapping only 1/4 for the entirety of a Camellia map, because it doesn't map to the rhythm. stuff like that should be "Loved" instead of "Ranked" because it could be fun and intuitive to play, but NOTHING being mapped on those notes for a Ranked map is really iffy and gross to me.

not just that, there are other issues with your map that others have overlooked because of your "quality mapping" tag to "Natsu"

01:23:453 (3,4) - 01:27:293 (3,4) - etc. 1/3 beats again (repeated)
01:39:773 (1,2,3,4) - 01:47:453 (1,2,3,4) - these are literally mapped to nothing, the only strong beat is on 01:39:773 (1) - and 01:47:453 (1) - while the rest (if you were to listen carefully) is actually on 1/3 AGAIN (repeated)
03:42:653 (1,2,3,4) - what is note 2 and 4 literally mapped on? nothing, again (repeated)

if you're going to mention emphasis, i can't say anything else dude, i'll leave you something else to run with lmao
Topic Starter
Natsu
I really fail to understad what 1/3s are you talking about, they are 1/6s and yes i made those ¨off vocals things¨ as 1/4s because is more intuitive to play, I'm using circles not sliders as other maps, because that fit better the vocals, then again listen it to 100% speed. If the qats don't agree with me then I'll map only the 1/2s, because adding random 1/6s will be so painful or i'll add some 1/4 track to the song, anyways I really prefer my current way and read monstrata´s post again pls.
emilia

Natsu wrote:

read monstrata´s post again pls.
when i already replied to his post smh
Okoratu
The snapping issues especially the ones around 01:23:453 - 01:27:293 - and so forth are pretty valid concerns.

You simplified 1/6 in a section where
1. it can be perfectly predictable to have them
2. would be more fitting to have them...?

the vocal thing being somewhat off can be justified as simplification (though i don't see how you say you simplify 1/6 to 1/4 while mapping 1/8 straight out in the same diff)

besides getting to an agreement on a bunch of other places emilia mentioned i have a question as well:

01:17:213 (1,2,3,4) - why do these get short sliders while you map the rest of the stream out, i don't see what's different between these and 01:17:693 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - so why not use all circles while you're at that

also @irre:
02:10:973 - i dont think there's any 1/3 rhythm going on the vocals are attempting to do weird shit like http://puu.sh/saB5B/1a883f1c81.jpg
besides you mapped them as such in 02:09:053 (1,2,3,4,1) -
Topic Starter
Natsu

Okorin wrote:

The snapping issues especially the ones around 01:23:453 - 01:27:293 - and so forth are pretty valid concerns.

the vocal thing being somewhat off can be justified as simplification (though i don't see how you say you simplify 1/6 to 1/4 while mapping 1/8 straight out in the same diff)

besides getting to an agreement on a bunch of other places emilia mentioned i have a question as well:

01:17:213 (1,2,3,4) - why do these get short sliders while you map the rest of the stream out, i don't see what's different between these and 01:17:693 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - so why not use all circles while you're at that
I'll add a 1/4 track to the song or try to fix the mp3 somehow, since seems you guys don't agree with the 1/4s and I think the 1/6s hurt the gameplay alot, about the simplification, you know 1/8s are alot different to 1/6s, people can guess the overlapped streams, but I dont think they will guess a 1/6 stack or so. anyways with the mp3 fix I think we will solve the issue.

About your issue with the sliders, it was a full circle stream before, but top players suggest me to introduce the stream with sliders, because is easier to play, I don't have problem to bring back the full streams, but also I don't think is a good idea after i changed them from test play feedback
Okoratu
hm

mainly the amount of 1/8 sliders seems kinda odd because
introduction of this thing is 01:17:213 (1,2,3,4) - 1/1, and then you have a stream for twice as long

how about having half of this thing 1/8 sliders and the other half as circles which would be a nerf but would would seem less arbitrary / more balanced?
emilia

Okorin wrote:

also @irre:
02:10:973 - i dont think there's any 1/3 rhythm going on the vocals are attempting to do weird shit like http://puu.sh/saB5B/1a883f1c81.jpg
besides you mapped them as such in 02:09:053 (1,2,3,4,1) -
bless up

also yea, didnt really look into irre's collab diff but it IS indeed not 1/3 if you listen on 25%
Monstrata
I thought the 1/8 sliders were pretty cool. Making it half 1/8 sliders and 1/8 streams is what you'd typically expect given a rhythm like this. Arranging them like this instead is a bit unique. It also gives players a transition from back/forth jump patterns to a simpler (and smaller) movement, while also introducing the 1/8 snaps. The emphasis is on the streams so reducing the number of circles kinda detracts from that idea too...

About the 1/6's. Lemme know what you plan on doing with them. I don't really agree that the 1/6's are perfectly predictable or fit better, since the snap is kinda muddled. But we can maybe do something with the mp3.
Topic Starter
Natsu
I'll do the thing with the mp3, since I dont want to ruin the map, sorry but I think if I snap those to 1/6 i'll bring a really bad experience to players.

About the 1/8s i was trying to make the same number of sliders and circles, but that somehow kill the emphasis of circles o.o, idk i really prefer my current rhythm.

Btw you guys can hear this part again 01:23:573 (4) - I really hear 1/4 then an echo in 1/6 lol, idk if is because im used to the 1/4 lol, so I want more opinions about it.
Yuii-
Hi there!

Since we are at it, I would appreciate if you would go through Nozhomi's mod again. He pointed out very solid points, in my opinion. Would be nice if you would consider them again!

Good luck!!
Topic Starter
Natsu

Yuii- wrote:

Hi there!

Since we are at it, I would appreciate if you would go through Nozhomi's mod again. He pointed out very solid points, in my opinion. Would be nice if you would consider them again!

Good luck!!
My point about the spacing still stand, since I didn't denied because it was qualified, but because I have really strong reasons to keep the patterns being different, they aren't that different, as any map jumps don't use the same spacing, since you use different patterns that require different spacing, tbh if you map all the similar sounds at the same spacing then your map will be basically the same, and that doesn't help songs like this that repeat alot, the map is already super consistent and making it spacing based jumps will make it too monotonous which will lead it in a direction I don't want, that's why I disagree with his mod in first.

I'll fix the minor/nazi things that he pointed tho, the star pattern, slider shape and I'll ctrl g some slider
Nyukai
I will always wonder why people is toxic while there's no need to be like that.

Anyways good luck with requalifying this, I'm sure this can be really a fast thingy.
buny
i think it plays nicely

the jumps on those wololololl parts could be placed better though, some of them are in weird angles and don't look intuitive
Topic Starter
Natsu

buny wrote:

i think it plays nicely

the jumps on those wololololl parts could be placed better though, some of them are in weird angles and don't look intuitive
I was watching your replay and I notice some, do you mind linking them?
Squigly
I wish i could look at this map and not have flat butts in my face the entire time : (
Topic Starter
Natsu

Squigly wrote:

I wish i could look at this map and not have flat butts in my face the entire time : (
keep wishing
worst fl player

Natsu wrote:

keep wishing
Ohrami

Squigly wrote:

This. Why did they take this picture if their asses are so flat?
Sunkiss
You can change the background yourself. oh shit
Irreversible

Okorin wrote:

also @irre:
besides you mapped them as such in 02:09:053 (1,2,3,4,1) - Mh, I disagree with the first. I feel like 1/3 really feels intuitive with her voice. However, I think that the second one you mentioned was a mistake on my side. I think it's a repeater on 1/8, at least that's what's feels best to me.
Ohrami

Blind Justice wrote:

I'm just curious why they would do this. Flat asses aren't nice to look at
Topic Starter
Natsu

Ohrami wrote:

Blind Justice wrote:

I'm just curious why they would do this. Flat asses aren't nice to look at
at least are real girls ;)
Ohrami

Natsu wrote:

at least are real girls ;)
That doesn't help at all. Anime/drawn girls often have much fatter asses than this and thus they're nicer to look at
Varqaaa
z (better explained below)
Topic Starter
Natsu

Varqaaa wrote:

text.
I think you don't understand what we was discussing,with all the respect, well i'll explain you because seems you don't have much experience in mapping /modding.

The map got DQ, because some wrong snapped objects, which I'm waiting for some mp3 modification, the map is a really simple map, you can paste it at any other bpm and there are not gimmicks without the ¨go¨ sliders, the point about the spacing from nozhomi was about making some jumps have the same spacing, which I don't agree, since no map do that.

So please don't confuse about the reasons about the DQ and others, specially if you have no experience with modding, mapping or playing. The playability of the map has already been prove, anyways this is the post you should put your attention in: p/5597351 .
Topic Starter
Natsu
Okay so:

Fixed stuff:

1. Mp3 is fixed so there shouldn't be more snap issues. (Thanks pishi)
  2. 00:29:933 (1,2,3) - the spacing here got reduced (oppa)
  3. 01:15:773 (1,2,3,4,1) - stacked this so it actually looks like a star pattern (oppa)
  4. 01:50:093 (1,2,3) - I reworked this pattern so it doesn't looks like the previous one (oppa)
  5. 03:33:293 (4) - I changed the slider shape, I don't think it matters, but I changed it anyways (oppa)
  6. 00:52:133 (2) - I changed the previous triplet to a 1/4 slider from an Irre suggestion (collab)
  7. 00:20:093 (5) I change the stack to 2, from irre too (collab)
  8. 01:21:053 (1,1) - silenced slider tails (collab)
  9. 01:25:853 (1) - same
  10. 03:31:253 (2,3,4) - fixed hitsounds
  11. 03:15:773 (1,2,3,4) - 03:46:493 (1,2,3,4) - rearranged pattern with the help of some players, so it plays more naturally now
  12. Fixed alot of minor blankets and stacks around both hardest diffs
No fixed stuff:

1. 01:17:213 (1,2,3,4) about the rhythm as I explain before, I had a full stream, but I asked to many top players and most of them told me to introduce the stream with sliders, I tryed okorin's suggestion, but that make me lose the emphasis of the circle streams, so I really want too keep this, since I already made a compromise with reworking the stream before. (oppa)
  2. The stream shapes, irre suggested me to try a different shape, but this more actual a personal preference and I love the current ones. (oppa)
  3. 00:16:013 (3) - the vocal is extended in my point of view that's why I'm using a slider, since the full sentence is continue a pause don't represent the music in my point of view, ofc this is a personal thing which differ from person to person so there is not a correct way to represent it, but multiple ones. (oppa)
  4. 01:19:234 - irre suggested me to end this at the previous blue tick, but I think is weird and my way is better, since there is a hold sound in the song and there are multiple places to end the sliders, but then again my preference is the white tick, since is more intuitive.

I need a second opinion for this:

1. 00:20:573 (2) - Irre said I need to extend this to the red tick, but I think the vocal actually lands in 1/8 (Oppa and collab diffs)
  2. 02:10:973 I agree with okorin, I don't think this part is snapped to 1/3, is a mix of 1/4s and 1/8 (Collab diff)
Doyak
Uhh Natsu asked me to post my opinion here about Extra diff

02:09:053 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3) - 02:10:973 (1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3) - I am pretty sure both sections are supposed to have the same rhythm. And I think, the instruments are in the former rhythm, and the vocals are in the latter rhythm.

So I have no idea why they're used differently. If you want to stick to the vocal, you should map the whole part as 1/3; if you want to follow the instruments, then you should stick to 1/8-1/4s. Such transition from 1/4s to 1/3s is not expected and doesn't really make sense imo, when the song is really consistent.
emilia
02:10:973 (1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3) - this is undoubtedly still 3/4 if you want to follow vocal, and its obvious on 100% and even more obvious on 25%
Sonnyc
Posted my opinion and I dislike snaps. I like slaps.
Topic Starter
Natsu
thanks guys, I'll call Irre when he get online to recheck that part :)
Doyak

[ Emillia ] wrote:

02:10:973 (1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3) - this is undoubtedly still 3/4 if you want to follow vocal, and its obvious on 100% and even more obvious on 25%
Well if you focus on certain ticks then some of them fit better on 3/4 ticks. But did you realize that there's no sound on the exact-white-ticks too? They don't sing it 100% accurate. Just focus on the speed of each vocal and they mostly sound equal to each other, which can only be 1/3s.
Frim4503
is the mp3 change ?
Topic Starter
Natsu

Frim4503 wrote:

is the mp3 change ?
yes, delete and redownload
Mazziv
just a few things that i dont like bout the irre&euny collab

03:11:933 (1) - i played this diff already a few times but this slider always gets me to sliderbreak,idk its just maybe a bit to unexpected?
03:15:773 (1,2,3,4) - and 03:23:453 (1,2,3,4) - play waaaay better than those 10x used back and forth pattern afterwards,which feels IMHO super awkward to play at high bpm IMO

rest looks cool
show more