forum

is EZ mod even useful?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
deidarabochi
no one ever seems to use EZ mod, and personally I hate it because the highest AR you can get with it is AR5, which is too slow for me. anyone think this should be changed so that EZ mod would be more useful?
Yuudachi-kun
Ar 6-8 is really fun to play and so is sub 5.
Xyrus_old_1
Plenty of people enjoy EZ, it just takes a while to get into. I WILL GET THERE EVENTUALLY!
7ambda
-GN, Mafham, Riviclia, Ekoro, MillhioreF, ExGon, and FGSky.

It's useful if you want to fc maps like Freedom Dive or Uta.
Topic Starter
deidarabochi

F1r3tar wrote:

-GN, Mafham, Riviclia, Ekoro, MillhioreF, ExGon, and FGSky.

It's useful if you want to fc maps like Freedom Dive or Uta.
I get that, but why couldn't EZ mod have been like one or two ARs less instead of halving the AR? I'd much rather play an AR10 map I can't normally FC at AR8 than AR5.
Yuudachi-kun
Edit the fucking map then
N0thingSpecial
Learn to read
7ambda

deidarabochi wrote:

I get that, but why couldn't EZ mod have been like one or two ARs less instead of halving the AR? I'd much rather play an AR10 map I can't normally FC at AR8 than AR5.
Because it was added in 2007 or 2008 and not meant for today's style and difficulty of maps.
Frikandel
I know plenty of people who play easy, either for pure fun or read training. Or both, mostly.

But, I don't think you have to be able to read EZ to fc an ar9 map, that's a bit over the top. Editing nomods down to ar8 and fcing them, makes you good enough in reading.
Topic Starter
deidarabochi

Khelly wrote:

rip ranked
Topic Starter
deidarabochi

F1r3tar wrote:

deidarabochi wrote:

Because it was added in 2007 or 2008 and not meant for today's style and difficulty of maps.
i'm just wondering, do mods never get changed/updated? i feel like if osu has changed so much that it turns a mod into something useless, then maybe the mod should be updated so people would use them more haha. just a thought

HT is still useful imo but it can get boring to play a map for way longer than you normal would
Ted_the_red
For people who can read high density patterns it can be very useful on some really hard maps. though for most people high AR dibilitates low AR reading ability and generally becomes useless to people who can't read low AR that well.

deidarabochi wrote:

i'm just wondering, do mods never get changed/updated? i feel like if osu has changed so much that it turns a mod into something useless, then maybe the mod should be updated so people would use them more haha. just a thought
it's quite possible osu!next will bring some changes to mods though it's probably not likely. I think changing EZ mod to be able to set your own AR CS OD and HP with gradual score reduction for each change would be a better way to make EZ mod actually easy imo. Some people play better at higher AR and CS, so having a user choice in all modifier changes lets the maps be easier for everyone who uses the mod
Risa
EZ mod makes u look cool if u can play it bcuz most people suck at it.
Therefore it useful
pkhg

i luv ez
Sayorie

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Learn to read AR(#)
FTFY

Stop spreading that [reading] buzzword phrase because it's a very generic term. It's not going to mean much to newer players.
Fxjlk

Khelly wrote:

Its easier to turn on a mod than editing the map.

In its current state EZ is a niche mod and not really useful. People have been wanting to change it for a long time.

e.g. t/56606?hilit=easy
Rilene
but at least the current EZ is pretty challenging, fun and real easier except notelocks
if you are able to get used to higher density objects though
Topic Starter
deidarabochi

Ted wrote:

For people who can read high density patterns it can be very useful on some really hard maps. though for most people high AR dibilitates low AR reading ability and generally becomes useless to people who can't read low AR that well.

deidarabochi wrote:

it's quite possible osu!next will bring some changes to mods though it's probably not likely. I think changing EZ mod to be able to set your own AR CS OD and HP with gradual score reduction for each change would be a better way to make EZ mod actually easy imo. Some people play better at higher AR and CS, so having a user choice in all modifier changes lets the maps be easier for everyone who uses the mod
that would be kinda interesting, but I wonder how each factor would affect the score multiplier, or if there would be a constant multiplier for whatever combination of CS OD HP AR you choose (e.g. 0.50)
Topic Starter
deidarabochi

M3ATL0V3R wrote:

Khelly wrote:

Its easier to turn on a mod than editing the map.

In its current state EZ is a niche mod and not really useful. People have been wanting to change it for a long time.

e.g. t/56606?hilit=easy
completely agree here
N0thingSpecial
in its current state EZ is a fun mod that trains your reading, cursor awareness and acc, it's fine as it is and no need to fix what's not broken
winber1
ez blocks more of the background so you won't get as distracted by boobs
Endaris

winber1 wrote:

ez blocks more of the background so you won't get as distracted by boobs
yeaaaaaah
N0thingSpecial
Flat is justice so I have no idea what you're talking about :^)))))))))))))

police sirens ringing outside of my house
Starrodkirby86

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Flat is justice so I have no idea what you're talking about :^)))))))))))))

police sirens ringing outside of my house

I think reading and low AR are both underappreciated skills, so EZ bringing the magic and unique skill of that up is a really enjoyable treat to watch. Especially for KIRBY Mixes. :)
MillhioreF
Try playing this map with no mods, then try it on EZ. See which one you find easier.

When the mod was created, AR was seen the same as the rest of the difficulty settings - higher is harder. The AR was higher on harder maps in EBA and Ouendan as well, so it makes sense, and most maps from 2007 and 2008 are made in a style that supports lower AR and makes sense with it. As the mapping meta evolved and people realized that higher AR allowed you to use more patterns (because you can have silly overlaps and random spacing without getting as confused) then it became less of an easy mod, and more of a hard mod.

That said, if you can overcome the extra reading difficulty, it DOES make maps easier - most of the more skilled EZ players have EZ or EZDT scores that they could never match on nomod or DT alone, thanks to the larger circles and more forgiving and mashable OD. If user-definable AR is ever added, then it would instantly regain its place as a mod to make maps easier for all players.
Bara-
I don't have any problems with the low AR
I only hate the goddamn Note locking
Endaris
Flat can distract too
Also yeah, notelock is the worst.
I actually started using hitlighting just to get better feedback on whether I hit the note or not on EZHD.