forum

Cherry MX Blues Slow down streaming?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
samotoda
So for the longest time of playing osu on the same keyboard, I have cherry mx blues. I never noticed this until I started doing image material/freedom dive, any stream maps where the streams go on for a long time. Because of the bump in clicking the switch down, does that mean the bump delays it going back up? I never feel the click again when I continue to stream and then the key presses are so short that they no longer register as fast as the beginning of a stream. I'm switching to Gateron Clears soon, and I want to know if this is the issue with streams because I've used reds before and I was fine.
Jukkii
If you dont feel the bump youre not pressing it down enough and so it doesnt activate. Just press more downwards and itll activate
PinkNightmares
Blues are fine, play more
Yuudachi-kun

B1oody wrote:

Blues are fine, play more
TakuMii
The bump actually moves down after you actuate the key, meaning you have to lift higher than the actuation point to release the key, and this requires more finger movement to press repeatedly. It's a bit disorienting, and makes it a bit more difficult to stream compared any other type of switch, but it's not impossible to get used to them and be able to become fast with them.
The Gambler
Gayzmcgee doesn't quite agree with you, being able to tear 270+ streams with ease. Using blues...

Also if you don't like Blues just swap it with other switches, provided you know how to solder/desolder and stuff. MX switches on Digikey aren't that bad for the price, you know.
TakuMii
As I said, it's not impossible to become fast with them. Plenty of people have accomplished ridiculous speeds with Blues, especially back in the day when Razer Blackwidows were pretty much the only mechanical keyboards people used.

While what I said about it being disorienting is my subjective thoughts, it does objectively take more finger movement to repeatedly actuate. Take that as you will.
Just keep in mind that this is coming from someone who has used Blues almost exclusively for about a year. I still prefer my LK Optical Blues or MX Browns; hell, I'd still use Reds for rhythm games over Blues despite how much I hate linear switches.
Yuudachi-kun
Two feathers weigh objectively more than either of them individually too.
TakuMii
They are light, but the weight of the switch has nothing to do with my point.
Yuudachi-kun

YayMii wrote:

They are light, but the weight of the switch has nothing to do with my point.

Im refering to incosequential amounts of anything

"Does take more finger movement"
TakuMii
Because it does affect how you press the key. I've found that I had to relearn how to stream when I switched from MX Browns to MX Blues, and that didn't happen when I switched to linears, nor did it affect me when I started using my LK Optical Blue keyboard (which has a similar click to MX Blues but with a linear release).
It probably wouldn't bother someone who has gotten used to the switch (or someone who doesn't practically vibrate their fingers to stream like I do), but I thought it was common knowledge (at least within the keyboard/FPS communities) that Blues make it harder to double-tap a key.
Yuudachi-kun
I used blues and reds and there was practically no difference between them except the sound because of how hard I hit the keys every time - I couldn't feel the tactile bump in blues at all unless I was typing.

Two ants are objectively taller together than one too
TakuMii
Well, if you're hitting the keys really hard, then the moving actuation point means absolutely nothing at all. I try to tap the keys as light as possible so I can feel the tactile bump (not to mention I use o-rings on all of my keyboards, which makes the tactile bump even more noticeable), and it's really off-putting when you can feel them both on actuation and release, and they're not at the same point. You're pretty much forced to hit them hard if you don't want it to affect you.

And honestly, I don't see why you'd even need to hit the keys so hard that you can't even feel the tactile bump. People like Staiain have even said that you'd be much better off stamina- and finger control-wise if you learn to use the tactile bump to your advantage, and he's my hero one of, if not the fastest 4K player out there.
Yuudachi-kun
I don't see what 4k has to do with this since I'm talking about osu standard - mania has an entirely different hand position and way of hitting the keys than osu standard ever did for me. The way I learned to singletap was entirely by picking my entire wrist up and slamming it down with hardly any finger movement at all - to begin to singletap at 250-300 bpm required tensing my arm which made hitting the keys harder as a natural result. Long streaming in that range too also had me bottom out with every note but was obviously much lighter on the keys.
[ Nao ]
You're just too slow.
chainpullz
Tbh I think anyone who is currently able to stream 250+bpm at the moment hits their keys hard enough that "being easier to press" is the least of their worries. Having more resistance to keep you from bottoming out as hard is usually way more helpful (according to jesse among others). Fingers just don't move with enough precision at that speed for higher reset point to even matter.
TakuMii

Khelly wrote:

I don't see what 4k has to do with this since I'm talking about osu standard - mania has an entirely different hand position and way of hitting the keys than osu standard ever did for me. The way I learned to singletap was entirely by picking my entire wrist up and slamming it down with hardly any finger movement at all - to begin to singletap at 250-300 bpm required tensing my arm which made hitting the keys harder as a natural result. Long streaming in that range too also had me bottom out with every note but was obviously much lighter on the keys.
I use the same finger stance with standard that I do with other rhythm games, which is why I brought it up. To me, a rhythm game is a rhythm game, so I follow the same advice regardless. But as I said, your tapping style is why it doesn't affect you the way it affects me.

I singletap almost completely with finger movement, and back when I actually had the time to rigorously train my stamina and speed, I'd feel comfortable singletapping up to 290bpm without tensing too much (although the fastest I've FCed was 267bpm because my aim is shit). I was capable of doing that with MX Browns, and when I was practically forced to switch to MX Blues a while back, that ability went right out the window. Since I've trained myself to tap as lightly as possible, I tapped too light to adapt to MX Blues, and so I needed to retrain myself to even be able to stream again (and even then, I was never as consistent).
I haven't had the time to put my new LK Blue keyboard through the same practice as my old MX Brown keyboard, but I definitely feel that it has potential to bring me back to the speed that I used to be, and with the lightness I used to be capable of. The LK switches are surprisingly different than the MX Blues that A4Tech was trying to replicate, but IMO they're better in many ways.

chainpullz wrote:

Tbh I think anyone who is currently able to stream 250+bpm at the moment hits their keys hard enough that "being easier to press" is the least of their worries. Having more resistance to keep you from bottoming out as hard is usually way more helpful (according to jesse among others). Fingers just don't move with enough precision at that speed for higher reset point to even matter.
As I said, the weight has nothing to do with my point. But since you're bringing it up anyways:
The "increased resistance" advantage that Jesse is referring to is the higher restoring elastic force from the stiffer springs of the MX Black switches he uses, which reduces the force needed to release the key in exchange of requiring more force to press down (the theory is that lifting your finger is more taxing on your muscles than pressing down).
MX Blues don't have the same advantage, since they use the exact same spring as Reds and Browns, not to mention that the tactile bump increases resistance during both the actuation and release. But I digress. I will give you that it probably doesn't affect a lot of people, but it definitely does affect me, and this is why I brought it up in the first place.
KanoSet

samotoda wrote:

Cherry MX Blues Slow down streaming?
yes, trust me i know cuz 170bpm is too fast for me
Rurree
Even if you may be slow as much as the people here say, you should still get the Gateron Clears because they are fantastic switches for osu, they're definitely worth it and I think you'll be able to do those streams with ease.