Last-ditch effort to become good

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Frikandel
https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/5867234

https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/5665186

https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/5867257

^ Above are plays of mine on some extremely ''easy'' pp maps.

I have many, many, and I mean MANY maps with 1 mis. Or a few more. Always shitmisses. Mostly in jumps. Probably something to do with reading or aim. But I also often just hit them and then mis somewhere else.

Plays like this I have been making for like a year now. Things that could have easily given me over 300 pp, on so many maps.
I know everyone shitmisses. I'm not saying I'm special in that regard.

But what do you think. I feel like I have not improved at all (at least not in the ways I need) in the last year or so. Yes, I have gained about 800pp during that time. But it's 90% farm and 10% luck.

Lately, I've been trying to play edited maps. Just lowering the AR of 5-6* maps to about 8. and then try to play well. I don't feel like I'm learning anything from it. How often and how commited should one be to learn lower ar and thus reading in general? I spent like 30 minutes a day before I get to frustrated. And then it's back to normal maps.

Well anyways, this is kind of a rant. But also, what would you do in my situation? Do you think I am just playing wrong, or am I just plain bad? Should I stop playing? Or play differently?
mizuki-chan
maybe you dont want to hear my opinion because im a newbie compared to you, but well...
i have thought the same way as you (or sometimes still think so) regarding the random misses and about improvement.
i dont feel improvement for me either at the moment ( im not even be able to play "farm maps" ). i think you need to change the way of how to think about that.
it's harder than some people expect, but playing just for fun is indeed much better than going for ranks or pp. of course i still hope that i can FC a map when im already at 80% of the map progress and at 100% acc , but for me it helped to not think too much about my improvement to get more ranks/pp.
i think i found like a balance of playing a map just4fun / for pp and no one knows if i improve more with time or if i dont, but now at least i enjoy the game when i just pick a map with my favorite song regardless if its worth pp or not.
Topic Starter
Frikandel
You're honestly 100% right, mizuki. Mindset is key. And really hard to change somehow.

When I play unranked maps, or maps I know I can't fc (like 7 star or something) I care not about pp. But lets say I play that same map multiple times. I already get frustrated if I can't beat my score every time -_-.
mizuki-chan

Frikandel wrote:

You're honestly 100% right, mizuki. Mindset is key. And really hard to change somehow.

When I play unranked maps, or maps I know I can't fc (like 7 star or something) I care not about pp. But lets say I play that same map multiple times. I already get frustrated if I can't beat my score every time -_-.
i know, its the same with me (for me playing 6* maps). thats why i stopped to play maps too often a day. i also caught myself on instantly restart/quit the map when i played and missed mid song (recognized i cant beat my score). we shouldnt do that too much, because its getting frustrating... but like you said...its really hard
Topic Starter
Frikandel
Just how to not give a darn ey xd
Swerro
Yes, osu! is less of a braindead game than most people think.

1. Maybe playing and trying to S maps just under your league could (maybe go for a nice country ranking).
And than slowly working it up from that level - after few fc's start playing maps that are in your league.

It worked for me, maybe for you (I hope so).

2. Having a goal after you play osu! sometimes helps me. It sometimes gives me a feeling of: "ah I have little time left let's just finally fc so I'm finally over with it"

Good luck.

Keep playing few lower AR songs but don't get overwhelmed by it as I HEARD it's more of a 5-digit ~15-30k rank thing to do to overcome a certain skilllevelcap at that rank. Not sure if it can also give profit for #3k people so don't get overwhelmed by that lower AR practice stuff too much as it could be useless.

Ja ik ging je posts bekijken op je profiel en kwam hier.
Topic Starter
Frikandel
Haha Swerro ik post zowat alleen op het forum als ik ff wil ranten (vaak lol)

En thanks voor de tips. 8-)
chainpullz
Idk, according to playtime I average well under an hour a day and don't do anything like spam ar8 edits or anything and my reading is well above average. Reading is about understanding the musical structure and in turn knowing at more of a subconscious level what kind of rhythm will come next so that when you actually see the circles pop up you are merely confirming one of a few possible rhythms.

Aside from just playing a lot of different maps that have different patterns the only thing you can really do to improve reading is to listen to the music and try to hear something different each time you listen to it. You'll probably enjoy music in general more if you do this tbh. If you really focus you can probably follow about 3-4 different instruments at once while actively listening.
Myke B
If you're not having fun, then you shouldn't put in more time to get better I think. If reading anything above ar 9 is hard for you, then play hr on lower star songs and work your way up, or mid star with no hr but ar 9/10. Starting slow and working my way up seemed to reaaally help with my reading abilities. Don't give up at first, it takes time. I don't ever farm because it starts to make me enjoy the game a little less; so Id say just play to get better :)
7ambda

Myke B wrote:

If you're not having fun, then you shouldn't put in more time to get better I think. If reading anything above ar 9 is hard for you, then play hr on lower star songs and work your way up, or mid star with no hr but ar 9/10. Starting slow and working my way up seemed to reaaally help with my reading abilities. Don't give up at first, it takes time. I don't ever farm because it starts to make me enjoy the game a little less; so Id say just play to get better :)
Why are you telling someone to play HR if they can't even read AR9?
Sandy Hoey

F1r3tar wrote:

Myke B wrote:

Why are you telling someone to play HR if they can't even read AR9?
I think the point is to play maps that would have AR9 with the addition of hr, but would not be technically difficult. That way you could focus on just reading.
Endie-
Welcome to the club baby!
Get used to it.
DeathHydra
I thought OP can't read AR<9, which is why he edited the map's AR to 8
Topic Starter
Frikandel

chainpullz wrote:

Idk, according to playtime I average well under an hour a day and don't do anything like spam ar8 edits or anything and my reading is well above average. Reading is about understanding the musical structure and in turn knowing at more of a subconscious level what kind of rhythm will come next so that when you actually see the circles pop up you are merely confirming one of a few possible rhythms.

Aside from just playing a lot of different maps that have different patterns the only thing you can really do to improve reading is to listen to the music and try to hear something different each time you listen to it. You'll probably enjoy music in general more if you do this tbh. If you really focus you can probably follow about 3-4 different instruments at once while actively listening.
When you see my acc, you will see I have a good sense of rythm. In fact I rely more on hitsounds and the music itself then reading. But because I have difficulty reading, I often miss in patterns like squares and such.
Fxjlk
Figure out whats causing those shit misses

Is it loss of focus? -> Train consistency

Is it bad aim? -> Be more aware of the circles and your cursors position

Is it in hard parts of the song? -> Train your speed
Yuudachi-kun
Mania