forum

Consistency

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Hishiro Chizuru
Hey all, just a 80k player here.

So recently I don't even know what happened, but I've been becoming really inconsistent. What I mean by this is that I can never FC anything.
I've tried a range of 2.5 stars to 5.5 stars.
I only get A's on all of them.

I know what you're thinking: http://imgur.com/a/U1wE8

But I shit you not, I passed something like this https://osu.ppy.sh/b/930203

But I can't FC this after 10 tries: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/326600

I have however figured out that all of the fails are mid way through the songs, so my question is, do any of you guys have any little personal methods to deal with nerves? I just can't seem to stay consistent throughout a song ;-;

And yes, I will "play more" to gain consistency slowly, so you don't need to respond with that :P

I'm just interested in what other players do to deal with getting nervous (yes I have looked through past posts dealing with nerves, they all tell the person to play more)
KupcaH
Did you try to take a break?
Pass means nothing. I passed big black, but that doesn't mean that I can FC all 5* easily.
To become consistent, don't retry a song, play it fully, try to get minimum misses and sliderbreaks. And move on.
Also, try to focus on each circle.

amb1d3x wrote:

yes I have looked through past posts dealing with nerves, they all tell the person to play more
So play more.
Topic Starter
Hishiro Chizuru

KupcaH wrote:

Did you try to take a break?
Pass means nothing. I passed big black, but that doesn't mean that I can FC all 5* easily.
To become consistent, don't retry a song, play it fully, try to get minimum misses and sliderbreaks. And move on.
Also, try to focus on each circle.

amb1d3x wrote:

yes I have looked through past posts dealing with nerves, they all tell the person to play more
So play more.
I take breaks every 30 minutes, but should I play a bit longer per session to grow more strength?
Also I'll try that no retry thing! Thanks for the suggestion

And yes I will play more :p
KupcaH

amb1d3x wrote:

I take breaks every 30 minutes, but should I play a bit longer per session to grow more strength?

By break, I meant for few days/week. You need to take long breaks some times too.
Topic Starter
Hishiro Chizuru

KupcaH wrote:

amb1d3x wrote:

By break, I meant for few days/week. You need to take long breaks some times too.
Oh :o

Being completely honest I've played almost everyday since I've started playing.

I'm guessing whenever I'm tilted or just off my game, take a day or two break and sometimes longer if I'm just tired?
vinnicci
I can't get rid of nerves, even on easy ones i get nervous if i'm getting S. but whenever I don't use SD i feel too relaxed but inconsistent. So just play with the nerves.
Silas
I choke very frequently, sometimes even shaking like crazy and hitting the slider edge because of my nerves. There isn't really much you can do about it. I've asked for advice regarding nerves before, and this is what I got:

Hide leaderboard (tab) and interface (shift + tab) - Disabling leaderboard helps, but disabling the interface just makes it feel weird to play to me. See for yourself?
Try to concentrate on the song itself, if you really get into the song it prevents you from thinking about combo/acc/time left.
Don't play the same map + difficulty too much, especially in a row. In my experience, you'll just start missing the "easy" parts and get frustrated, which is obviously something you want to avoid.
Most importantly, like already mentioned here earlier, don't retry right after every miss, it'll ruin your "flow". Complete the song and try again.

Hope this helps somehow, good luck!
Topic Starter
Hishiro Chizuru

hypercom wrote:

I can't get rid of nerves, even on easy ones i get nervous if i'm getting S. but whenever I don't use SD i feel too relaxed but inconsistent. So just play with the nerves.
My nerves are spastic af and my hand shakes more than washing machine during intense parts ;-;

sildee wrote:

I choke very frequently, sometimes even shaking like crazy and hitting the slider edge because of my nerves. There isn't really much you can do about it. I've asked for advice regarding nerves before, and this is what I got:

Hide leaderboard (tab) and interface (shift + tab) - Disabling leaderboard helps, but disabling the interface just makes it feel weird to play to me. See for yourself?
Try to concentrate on the song itself, if you really get into the song it prevents you from thinking about combo/acc/time left.
Don't play the same map + difficulty too much, especially in a row. In my experience, you'll just start missing the "easy" parts and get frustrated, which is obviously something you want to avoid.
Most importantly, like already mentioned here earlier, don't retry right after every miss, it'll ruin your "flow". Complete the song and try again.

Hope this helps somehow, good luck!
I play with only the leaderboards on O.o preferences I guess.

I'll take in what you say about not retrying songs! I do indeed find myself getting tilted off the planet from trying to FC one map for a while :P

Thanks for the response, cheers!
Yolshka
This has been brought up again, but the topic is still instersting.
Imo:
consistency doesn't really exist, you can only be consistent on maps you can play, and that may very well be below what youre trying to be consistent on, but really you just have to gulp the fact down.
So basically you can either do it perfectly everytime, or you can't, but if you can't do it everytime it's not a 'consistency' issue, it's just that the map is too hard, but doesn't mean you can't fc it regardless, it's very much possible to FC or to have good accuracy on maps above you, but they will still be above you.
The nerves thing is interesting, but the solution is to play until you can do it everytime, even though at that point you won't care about it because it's going to be boring, but the only thing that matters is that you are able to play it, no matter when.

Btw taking breaks really accomplishes nothing, the only purpose they might have is that you can refresh your mind, but if you truly wish to improve, frustration and such are not going be a thing.
Except of course if you hurt yourself.

Also retrying isn't bad in my eyes, but it's mostly just a time waste on maps you can't play anyway, so probably not going to hurt you, but it's rather pointless.
It can help you FC things, but at that point, i don't think it mattters if you have 2047x combo or just two 1023x combos with a miss in the middle, it's just one circle.You won't get pp for it tho, that's pretty bad.

That being said I also retry no title 4000 times in under 20 seconds.
EDIT:
little afterthought on my theory
X=number of maps you are consistent on.
if you've been playing for a while, i'm sure you can pretty much FC every 1* maps out there, so the goal should be to apply that to 4* and then 5,6.
X will only go up by practcing and spending time, unfortunately we have no real way to measure consistency, the pp system isn't perfect of course, and if you get rid of it, you only have circles left, so even if you always miss somewhere, genereally your overall results will be the same, and if you practice enough your overall results will be high enough to yield an FC everytime.
Though I like this system, i don't want it to change.
N0thingSpecial
Spam some long maps and focus on hitting the next note, rather than worrying about are you FCing, it's useless thought that distract your mind from hitting the next note