forum

New to standard osu!. Need some suggestions please.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ichika A
So, as you read by the title. I'm pretty new to standard osu!. I started playing Taiko about a year and a half ago when my friends brought me into the game. Four days ago I played my first game of standard and liked it much better. Much more active working with your mind. So after my first two plays I put on Hidden and Hardrock and that's all I've played with since. I figured I might as well get good with those mods from the start so it's not as hard to later on down the road. I have a few SS and many S ranks. However, I need help with a couple things.
-Is a tablet worth buying?
-Using mouse I play with 6700 dpi. Don't ask how, I've just gotten used to it over the past two years. I also have decent accuracy.
-Is it worth it to learn mods early on such as Hidden and Hardrock?
-Should I be trying to rush into more difficult maps that are around 3 stars? (Kind of already quickly working my way there)
-Is using No Fail to practice some harder songs for a run or two a good idea?
-Is it bad that I've gotten addicted, to osu! standard and taiko, and play for up to 12 hours a day sometimes?
(oops).
Anyway, any of those questions answered would really help. Especially the first couple. Thank you for taking your time to read this and help me :)
KupcaH

Trickster1399 wrote:

Is a tablet worth buying?
-Using mouse I play with 6700 dpi. Don't ask how, I've just gotten used to it over the past two years. I also have decent accuracy.
-Should I be trying to rush into more difficult maps that are around 3 stars? (Kind of already quickly working my way there)
-Is it bad that I've gotten addicted, to osu! standard and taiko, and play for up to 12 hours a day sometimes?
Anyway, any of those questions answered would really help. Especially the first couple. Thank you for taking your time to read this and help me :)
-Idk, I don't own tablet. But people say it is.
-There are a lot of DPI threads out there. Check it. I recommend to play with 1500 or less.
-You can play easy and normals with HR, but after that, no more HR until you can FC 5.5*+ maps. Hidden yes. Learn it anytime.
-Play maps that you can FC, play maps that you can pass, play maps that you barely can pass, play maps that you cannot pass. Play everything. ^ But try to not be a masher.
-Idk, I don't do this.
-Yes, it's bad. You need to play more than 12 hours to git gud. Kappa

This is only my opinion.
Topic Starter
Ichika A

KupcaH wrote:

Trickster1399 wrote:

Is a tablet worth buying?
-Idk, I don't own tablet. But people say it is.
-There are a lot of DPI threads out there. Check it. I recommend to play with 1500 or less.
-You can play easy and normals with HR, but after that, no more HR until you can FC 5.5*+ maps. Hidden yes. Learn it anytime.
-Play maps that you can FC, play maps that you can pass, play maps that you barely can pass, play maps that you cannot pass. Play everything. ^ But try to not be a masher.
-Idk, I don't do this.
-Yes, it's bad. You need to play more than 12 hours to git gud. Kappa

This is only my opinion.
Alright. Thank you for the help! :)
N0thingSpecial
- personally I didn't buy a tablet cause I don't use the tablet for other purposes so I don't see the need, mouse can get you really far if you put in the effort.
- 6700 DPI, you won't be able to make any precise jumps as maps get harder to aim
- no
- sure why not
- sure why not, but only on maps you know you can pass, don't be that guy who play 6-7* maps with no fail and tell everyone about it, as you go up to 3 - 4* start to aim for FC, cause tbh easys and normals are designed to make you get used to note spacing that varies with time, which later on is really not as useful.
- get a life
AsyouSaidsir
- It really depends. I find the game more enjoyable with a tablet, but it's really up for debate. Mouse is still good.
- Can't help with this one.
- No, stay away from mods for now. (well, maybe hidden is ok, I still think no mod is better for now, IDK)
- Going outside your comfort zone is a good thing from time to time, just don't go away too far (like 6-7*), it'll just be a waste of time if you just mash the buttons randomly.
- NF? It's better to not rely on it imo.
- 12? I...............oh
Fxjlk

Trickster1399 wrote:

12 hours a day sometimes?
I wish I could do that but my hands end up hurting so much I can barely use them the next day.

If you can do it without pain and you enjoy it 100% do it.
StephOsu

Trickster1399 wrote:

So, as you read by the title. I'm pretty new to standard osu!. I started playing Taiko about a year and a half ago when my friends brought me into the game. Four days ago I played my first game of standard and liked it much better. Much more active working with your mind. So after my first two plays I put on Hidden and Hardrock and that's all I've played with since. I figured I might as well get good with those mods from the start so it's not as hard to later on down the road. I have a few SS and many S ranks. However, I need help with a couple things.
(oops).
1) I would say that it's worth the value IF AND ONLY IF you play everyday, but then as other said, it's purely subjective and differs from person
2) Once you reach 3.5*+ difficulty you will regret that you are using 6.7k effective DPI, trust me, because I did 10.8k effective DPI when I was at your rank range, and I instantly regret it once I reach that difficulty level and pulled it down to 1.2k DPI slowly so I can actually aim stuffs instead of having my cursor to spazz out all the time
3) It's okay to play any mods at any given time, but don't over-commit on them (like having them on all the time) because bad habits can form from them
4) There's only 1 thing I regret doing in my early life of osu, which is only spamming certain 3.34* beatmap over and over again until I can pass it for 3 months straight while hoping that I can improve from that (It worked, at a really bad rate of improvement xd)
5) No Fail is okay, but just like other mods, don't over-commit on trying to improve with them.
6) LMFAO wHo cAREAS HAHA Xd
Sayorie
yes if you have $$$. Else, go buy your food first.

Down to preference, but 6700 dpi is too damn high.
It's okay to learn and use them from time to time, but careering on a mod way early on is unhealthy. Reminder that using mods on higher star ratings/difficulties makes the map even harder to play.
Don't be afraid to push your boundaries, but forcing yourself too much will bring about frustration.
I don't know. I never tried No Fail. If I fail, it means I still need to play more.
Find a job, go to school or something.