forum

Shitty health system - Am I the only one that feels this way

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ichigogogogogo
I don't mean to be a dick for no reason but I feel like the health system is fucking garbage. For one, the amount of health you lose for missing a circle varies across maps... which I guess makes sense kinda. Now what I'm pissed about is the way you lose health every fraction of a second in wich you don't hit a circle. That doesn't make any sense, If there IS no circle to hit, why do I lose health? On the other hand, regaining health is much harder than losing it. Great, that's unfair as shit! My last problem is that some maps consider themselves "hard" by making you p much die instantly when missing a single circle.
I'm not a top tier player but this has been making it harder and harder for me to enjoy this game.

Your thoughts? Is it just me :shock:
chainpullz
Nofail is always an option. :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
Yohanes

chainpullz wrote:

Nofail is always an option. :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
PinkNightmares
Play maps close to your skill level or use NF. HP drain is fun unless you bump into a happy30 spinner.
Fxjlk
get 300s and you should have no problem with health
ithgyu
the drain system in osu IS ABSOLUTELY RETARDED. The fact that you can fail maps on a spinner after fcing a song with very high accuracy is absolutely retarded, and should never happen, basically, fuck Saut's First, rip 2 fcs i have on that map that have failed to spinner, dumb game tbh
N0thingSpecial

II Jelli II wrote:

dumb game tbh
Bleach never taste so good until I play this game
Hiro-Senpai
I find this funny that, you are complaining about HP drain, while the maps you play have a pretty ok HP drain IMO.
There are a lot waaay harder maps that has waaay bigger HP drain.

If you die on a map, that means you are not experienced enough to play that map.
This is my thought process about HP in this game.

So my advice is to lower the difficulty level of maps for yourself. Play easier maps
Floob

II Jelli II wrote:

the drain system in osu IS ABSOLUTELY RETARDED. The fact that you can fail maps on a spinner after fcing a song with very high accuracy is absolutely retarded, and should never happen, basically, fuck Saut's First, rip 2 fcs i have on that map that have failed to spinner, dumb game tbh
Which is why I've resorted to doing this

Paneiru
Never had any issues with HP drain when playing nomod tbh, it's when you use HR that HP drain get ridiculously stupid.
mizuki-chan
in the beginning i thought that hp drain is bad too, but im used to it and find it ok.
if there is a easy part with not much notes you have to hit them all, thats fine for me. on the other side dying and the end of a map at a spinner is pretty much the worst feeling ever tho :D
if you recognize you die a lot because of hp drain, use NF or EZ or change difficulty ( or just gid gud )
Sayorie
osu! drains my life away from me anyway, so HP drain doesn't matter anymore
winber1
git gud and you'll actually realize how damn lenient this system is, except for a few maps.
Clappy

winber1 wrote:

git gud and you'll actually realize how damn lenient this system is, except for a few maps.
KanoSet
do you even HR bruh
ithgyu
I SOOOOO wish that I could play nf to set some scores of dumb drain maps, however often i have a nomod play that is more than half the song combo, so no way to get around it... pp > score when. And yes, I am salty about this, Its by far my biggest issue with the current state of osu, its just such poor game design
Yuudachi-kun

II Jelli II wrote:

I SOOOOO wish that I could play nf to set some scores of dumb drain maps, however often i have a nomod play that is more than half the song combo, so no way to get around it... pp > score when. And yes, I am salty about this, Its by far my biggest issue with the current state of osu, its just such poor game design
Play mania where you only lose hp for misses and bad acc
chainpullz
Or you could, idk, learn to spin. Most of the map you complain about are barely even 10 second spinner. You don't even have to spin constant 460 to pass those.
Catgirl
play taiko instead

you get to play the entire map and only fail right at the end if you don't have enough health

this way you can play stuff that's well above your skill level and not have to worry about dying 10 seconds in like in the other modes
Snow901
The HP system seems fine to me, if you maintain high accuracy - which is more important than getting fc - then you shouldn't have trouble with it when you are playing maps at your level.
ithgyu
Why is "learn how to spin" a suitable response to blatant bad game design
7ambda

II Jelli II wrote:

Because this community is a meme shithole.
N0thingSpecial

II Jelli II wrote:

Why let bad game design excuse your subpar ability to spin?
7ambda

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Why let bad game design excuse your subpar ability to spin?
If it's a long HP10 spinner that requires a constant 450+ SPM, that's a legitimate excuse; otherwise, you suck.
N0thingSpecial
Tbh it really never occur to me that it's bad game design, I thought I was just a bad player when I fail due to wt ever reason
gooder101
Being able to spin fast is mosty useless anyway,consistency is the best.
Cookiezi fans will agree so i am safe,try to win an argument with kids i dare you
Cheers
Fxjlk

II Jelli II wrote:

Why is "learn how to spin" a suitable response to blatant bad map design
ftfy
I Give Up

II Jelli II wrote:

dumb game tbh
StephOsu

gooder101 wrote:

Cookiezi fans will agree
noice
KupcaH

StephOsu wrote:

gooder101 wrote:

Cookiezi fans will agree
loud noise
Endie-
You'll hate HP10
Topic Starter
Ichigogogogogo

Hiro-Senpai wrote:

I find this funny that, you are complaining about HP drain, while the maps you play have a pretty ok HP drain IMO.
There are a lot waaay harder maps that has waaay bigger HP drain.

If you die on a map, that means you are not experienced enough to play that map.
This is my thought process about HP in this game.

So my advice is to lower the difficulty level of maps for yourself. Play easier maps
How do you expect me to get better if I keep playing 3 star maps like an idiot? if i dont miss a circle, i shouldnt lose just from the map being slow. its just fucking annoying.
Topic Starter
Ichigogogogogo
honestly i know that i'm decent at best at this game but the hp drain is a real fuckin pain in the ass in general.
Bara-
The game this is based on has it too, therefore it's in osu as well
/thread
Topic Starter
Ichigogogogogo
i just hate it when the response to genuine critisicsm (although it might have not been phrased like that) is usually "git gud xdd"
like, no. i shouldn't have to be a pro at a game to enjoy it.
repr1se
You just don't know how HP works, and other posters assume you do.

HP drain is a part of the four difficulty settings in a song. The other three are Circle Size (CS), Approach Rate (AR) and Overall Difficulty (OD). HP Drain in a map is constant, but you get penalized if you miss a note. Some maps have a high HP Drain setting, others have a lower one. It's part of map construction.

You gain HP to combat that drain by hitting notes. However, you can gain extra HP by getting a Geki or a Katu at the end of a combo (the map's combo, not your play combo). You get a Geki at the end of a combo where you hit all 300s. If there's a note you hit a 100, you get a Katu. It's pretty simple, you just have to not miss and you'll be guaranteed a Katu, if you're accurate you can get Geki.

Ichigogogogogo wrote:

i just hate it when the response to genuine critisicsm (although it might have not been phrased like that) is usually "git gud xdd"
like, no. i shouldn't have to be a pro at a game to enjoy it.
But the maps you're playing are too hard if you're failing, regardless of HP drain, so you do need to up your skill. Do this by finding maps you can do easily, then maps you can't pass. The maps in the middle are the ones that will push up your skill. You don't have to be hardcore tryhard to get better, just pick a map and play it.
Starrodkirby86
That's an understandable reaction to have, since often they seem like curt, short statements that don't feel like they empathize with your frustration. And it's true that at higher levels of play, the seriously salty and more "unfair" portions of the HP Drain system come into action, particularly at HP10 during empty segments and long spinners.

At your current stage though, it looks more like a series of inaccurate play, misses, and/or inadequate recovery is what's causing you to fail more than what other players are facing. In that event, you'd want to try and focus on improving your accuracy or hone in on that tough part and see if you can get through it. If it's too tough, playing NoFail to get a good feel of it is not a bad idea. Plus you can come back to that map, see if you get a better score, and maybe even pass without NoFail.

If you find yourself consistently failing one part, take a look at the replay or think about what part seems like you're a little weak on, and see how you can improve yourself there.
Endaris
I can just recommend to take it slow and let skill come to you.
As far as I can see you are pushing for 4* and above already. Many people tend to have a lot of trouble with these at first and it is often more satisfying and also more useful for your improvement if you play stuff that you can pass safely but still improve your score by a lot (say 90% pass to 97% full combo).

There are different ways to "enjoy" this game and most people who stick longer to osu! usually start to appreciate a minimum degree of accuracy as a foundation of their playing experience that typically ranges anywhere from 95% to 100% depending on the person. It's usual to not have this background when you start out but this mindset is where a lot of the answers in this thread are coming from:
If a map is so hard that you fail it over and over it then it is too difficult for you and not enjoyable to play - regardless of whether you miss a lot or barely miss but have extremely poor accuracy. The best solution to improve is to play other maps that don't frustrate you and come back to the map when you got better. Short version of that is "git gud".
CXu
As for why drain is a thing in the first place, the original game osu! is based on, Ouendan/EBA, is about male cheerleaders cheering on everyday people through their problems while you hit circles. As their mental state decays, you keep up a good cheer to keep their spirits up, which is why hp drain is a thing in the first place.

And really, unless you're playing at a fairly high level at hp10 or something, failing due to drain on slower sections usually just means you messed up a lot during that section or right before. Even if the system were to be changed, you'd just fail during the section you messed up, rather than a bit after when the drain catches up.
show more