forum

Help with dealing with more advanced long-note patterns

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Rosten
I find that I have a really bad time trying to read even moderately difficult long-note patterns, so much so that I often end up not being able to get decent acc on maps a star~ below what I'm used to playing that feature them. Any tips?

(I feel like I should note that I play 4k. I tried getting into 7k, but it really isn't my thing for the moment. Maybe later. :p)
juankristal
Well, in general players that came from other games have a lot of issues with the long notes, you are not the only one!

At first, long notes are by far the hardest thing imo for players because it takes 2 actions to get a good judgement on it. It will take you some time to learn some tricks to get better at those, it really depends on the specific player and how he wants to handle them.

As my personal case, when long notes have a note at the end I think them as a release timing that I should aim for so it makes easier to release, and while I am holding I forget that they exists so I can focus on the other notes that might come while holding.

Not that I can give you more tips than that, its up to you to figure out your own way to get better at those! It will take time but with practice you will get them.
Bobbias
LNs are one of the kinds of patterns that are relatively easy to practice. If you focus on playing a lot of maps with LNs, you will improve. Of course, there are things you can do to improve your practice too. Pay attention to EXACTLY what patterns you have problems with, then try to find a way to improve them.

Sometimes problems with LNs are trouble with reading them. If you think that's a problem, try different skins, or vision mods like HD and FL. Try lowering your scroll speed, or even speeding it up slightly when playing LN maps.

If it's specifically releases, try focusing on them a bit more when you play. Try to pick out exactly where the release is. Sometimes you can look at an LN and know it's length right away (shorter LNs, or LNs that last exactly 1 measure, for example), for these LNs you can try focusing a bit more on the actual release, since it's easy to figure out how long they last. But some LNs are more difficult to read either because they last for an usual amount of time, or they are affected by SVs, or they follow an instrument that plays a more complex rhythm than the rest of the music, I find that for me the best way to figure these LNs out is to identify what sound in the music they represent and focus on listening to the melody more specifically.

Sometimes the problem is that your fingers seem to get confused when you have a lot of LNs and it feels like you can read it fine but your hands go retarded. As far as I can tell, this has to do with simply not enough practice playing those patterns with LNs. When you have a finger being held down while you have to use the other fingers on your hand to play something, it changes the position of your hands, and your brain has to compensate for that change in position when it needs to move your finger to hit the key. When you don't have enough practice playing LNs sometimes your brain can't quite figure out how to move your finger and you end up making mistakes.
ReTLoM
Also for invert LN maps some Koreans in O2jam advised me only look at the spaces between the lns xD and it helped me
Bobbias
Yeah, if the map is inverted, treat it that way. Releases instead of notes. The problem with inverted maps is that you basically have to completely relearn all the muscle memory to play them.