forum

GRANRODEO - Can Do (TV Size)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Hydro7
If I were to chose honestly, my favorite naming is the current one, however if I only had to chose between those two styles, the second style is better, same reason as Lasse
Arphimigon
Changing my mind, Lasse is better, +1 to that
DONJGER
I really like Kuroko's difficult even if it was hard to read. The gimmick of the map was very fun and interesting to play and i believe ar8 helps this. Just my two cents.
diraimur

DONJGER wrote:

I really like Kuroko's difficult even if it was hard to read. The gimmick of the map was very fun and interesting to play and i believe ar8 helps this. Just my two cents.
i agri
Natsu
Akashi's Extra looks like a guest diff
Akashi (Extra) also looks like a GD
Extra (Akashi) this one is more clearly than the other two
Arphimigon
Just get the people with those usernames to make GDs *run*
(Not serious post)
Hydro7

Natsu wrote:

Akashi's Extra looks like a guest diff
Akashi (Extra) also looks like a GD
Extra (Akashi) this one is more clearly than the other two
Yeah there's two sides to this, the last one is more "proper", but the other two fit the theme of this mapset, and I'm all for the first two options lol
Zak
Would probably be a good idea to also change the description as it is initially misleading.
Spaghetti
Why not just do the character names? Custom difficulty names already indicate the map is an Extra anyways.
Liiraye
I think the issue is about looking like a GD rather than a diff made by monstrata.
Hydro7
Man I actually LIKED the fact that everything looked like a GD, but then again, if that's completely illegal, then rip :I
Izzywing

Spaghetti wrote:

Why not just do the character names? Custom difficulty names already indicate the map is an Extra anyways.
Isn't it only the highest SR diff that can have a custom name which is the problem?
Topic Starter
Monstrata
It seems,

Akashi (Extra)
Kuroko (Extra
Aomine (Extra)
etc...

Is a more popular choice. Personally, I'm fine with both, but I agree with Lasse that this emphasizes the characters of each difficulty, while still making it obvious that these are no longer GD's as they don't follow the conventional GD format of _____'s Extra/Insane/Easy etc...

I'll make the update later, i'm going to leave it as is and see if anyone else wants to say anything before I make the change. Stuff like can be fixed easily, but I'd rather not rush things.
Kingkevin30

Monstrata wrote:

I don't believe maps should only be made to follow the music. Why do you play a map? Why don't you just listen to the song? Because you want something more than just the music. You want to enjoy the song through gameplay elements that highlight different aspects of the song. Mapping is it's own art form.
I disagree, i never preffered any kind of gimmicky style in comparison to one that is actually making use of the song itself.
What i want out of a Map is a CONSISTENT increase of difficulty that emphazises the music's feel&intensity.

In CTB we've seen a similar problem where people just begin to use the maps as a tool to create overly difficult pattering, that has
almost nothing to do with the actual song....and i just find that really frustating and annoying
Reddit
Retarded 40 sec overmapped toddler map: SeemsGood
Map with different unique styles for each diff: DansGame
diraimur

Kingkevin30 wrote:

Monstrata wrote:

I don't believe maps should only be made to follow the music. Why do you play a map? Why don't you just listen to the song? Because you want something more than just the music. You want to enjoy the song through gameplay elements that highlight different aspects of the song. Mapping is it's own art form.
I disagree, i never preffered any kind of gimmicky style in comparison to one that is actually making use of the song itself.
What i want out of a Map is a CONSISTENT increase of difficulty that emphazises the music's feel&intensity.

In CTB we've seen a similar problem where people just begin to use the maps as a tool to create overly difficult pattering, that has
almost nothing to do with the actual song....and i just find that really frustating and annoying
I can understand that being a bigger problem in CTB since there aren't many mappers there, however I believe such thing is not an issue in STD as there are many mappers that try to map to song than try to gimmick, and its nice to have both available, so I personally don't see a big issue since it technically doesn't hurt anyone in STD.
Booze
Maybe you could name the diffs like this: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/683576 ?
Shiirn
The fact of the matter is, Monstrata, you're arguing for sensible points that you don't actually follow yourself. It's perfectly fine to carry a concept into a map that you feel applies well to the music and enhances the track. There are hundreds of maps that do this, the most simple of which are those with "slightly weird" difficulty settings. Hell, I've done it myself many times. There's nothing wrong with this and it's even a good thing to do.

But when you bring in several different gimmicks in several different difficulties that are completely unrelated, it becomes pretty obvious you're not actually relating them to the music itself. You're not "Showing different interpretations of the music", you're shoehorning in gimmicks without a single iota of respect or care for the music itself. These difficulties could be placed on any other "normal" song (intro, startup, buildup, drop, breakdown, outro format) and fit just as well (that is, poorly).

If you had one of these difficulties you could probably make the argument that you're just "having a special interpretation", but when you have seven completely different ones, it's pretty clear you're just enjoying throwing out some unrelated and irrelevant gimmicks. I just wish you'd be willing to actually talk it out instead of pulling out tissue-thin reasoning and doing your traditional "Mention something that's obviously right but when you actually relate it to the discussion at hand, it turns out it's entirely irrelevant" counter-modding.

This isn't unrankable, as there's never really been a rule against "blatant creativity", but it's kind of disappointing. I'd even be a fan if it was on something that wasn't a boring, generic as hell TV Size. But it's such a damn waste of concepts on music that doesn't even fit it. I was actually a fan of your concept behind Alien, and to an extent, quaver had a decent idea with poor, ignorant execution. But throwing all this stuff onto a random OP is beneath you, and the concepts are so irrelevant to the music (screw your anime-reference reasoning, srsly) it's saddening.
Topic Starter
Monstrata

sukiNathan wrote:

cool ideas
Thanks!

DrVoorhees wrote:

Oh god I love this.
Thanks!

Frim4503 wrote:

looking forward to see this complete
i think this will be a great map :)

good luck monstrata
*shoot
Appreciate it!

sahuang wrote:

WoW
Would be great if this can be ranked later :)

Yea hopefully soon :D

Dashie wrote:

monstrata i love you for this <3
Hehe ;3

Desperate-kun wrote:

This concept is pretty great, best of luck with this!
Thanks for the support Desp!

RoseusJaeger wrote:

This is amazing

Glad you enjoyed it!

Kibbleru wrote:

cool concept

are these diff names okay though?
Looks like we gotta change the diff names though~

Xilver wrote:

sukiNathan wrote:

cool ideas
Akashi diff espeically is a really fitting/cool concept, good job c:
Glad you liked it! Akashi and Kuroko were my two favourite diffs to map :D. I think they were the most successful too haha

VINXIS wrote:

dam ths is gud
thnaks!

Owens wrote:

Man you have so much imagination ! That's incredible, best mapper. Good luck ranking this !
Btw, maybe you can rename diffs for, Aomine's Speed, Midorima's aim etc.. just an idea
Thanks! And yea, looks like i'll have to rename diffs a bit.

Yuii- wrote:

That symmetrical map is almost perfect. It was a very well executed style. Reminds me of some guy you know :^)

Looking forward to see what will be the final version of the extras!
Hehe thanks yuii ;3

-Tatsuo wrote:

that's a very good map imo
good luck on ranking this
btw it would be cool if somewhere would be written what style the maps are, it's kinda obvious but i think it would be cool
Thanks!! Yea i included them now~

F1r3tar wrote:

This is one of the few tv-size anime maps I actually like.
I'm honored

Pata-Mon wrote:

great mapset
Thanks~

-Yuni wrote:

this map is masterpiece wow you got my respect with this one, love the song as well.
>//< tyty

384059043 wrote:

Excellent! Where did you get the inspiration from lol
Heh, I guess the song + im a big fan of the anime/manga :D

smau5 wrote:

i never had so much fun playing a map! really cool, i hope it gets ranked.
Glad you enjoyed it!!

Brodogs wrote:

Just wanted to say this map is awesome.
Just wanted to say thanks!

Pata-Mon wrote:

I love this set
ganbare mons
tyty!!

DONJGER wrote:

Thanks for the support ;3

Shiirn wrote:

The fact of the matter is, Monstrata, you're arguing for sensible points that you don't actually follow yourself. It's perfectly fine to carry a concept into a map that you feel applies well to the music and enhances the track. There are hundreds of maps that do this, the most simple of which are those with "slightly weird" difficulty settings. Hell, I've done it myself many times. There's nothing wrong with this and it's even a good thing to do.

But when you bring in several different gimmicks in several different difficulties that are completely unrelated, it becomes pretty obvious you're not actually relating them to the music itself. You're not "Showing different interpretations of the music", you're shoehorning in gimmicks without a single iota of respect or care for the music itself. These difficulties could be placed on any other "normal" song (intro, startup, buildup, drop, breakdown, outro format) and fit just as well (that is, poorly).

If you had one of these difficulties you could probably make the argument that you're just "having a special interpretation", but when you have seven completely different ones, it's pretty clear you're just enjoying throwing out some unrelated and irrelevant gimmicks. I just wish you'd be willing to actually talk it out instead of pulling out tissue-thin reasoning and doing your traditional "Mention something that's obviously right but when you actually relate it to the discussion at hand, it turns out it's entirely irrelevant" counter-modding.

This isn't unrankable, as there's never really been a rule against "blatant creativity", but it's kind of disappointing. I'd even be a fan if it was on something that wasn't a boring, generic as hell TV Size. But it's such a damn waste of concepts on music that doesn't even fit it. I was actually a fan of your concept behind Alien, and to an extent, quaver had a decent idea with poor, ignorant execution. But throwing all this stuff onto a random OP is beneath you, and the concepts are so irrelevant to the music (screw your anime-reference reasoning, srsly) it's saddening.
If you think concepts have to be tied only to music, then you are severely limiting yourself creatively. When we listen to music, we can draw from much more than just its musical context. We can consider for example, the lyrics, and their ability to provoke thought and ideas. We consider the contexts in which music is used. A song by itself may just be depressing, or yearnful, but when paired with a heartbreaking anime scene, it can move us to tears just by hearing the song. A song can make us nostalgic, perhaps it's an old song. The melody itself may not seem nostalgic, but when you consider the context of time, suddenly a song you heard as a kid growing up, becomes more poignant. The song may be drawn from a depressing anime, or a hopeful one. It may be drawn from a singer battling cancer, it may be a singer who is submitting to that cancer. BOOM BOOM SATELLITE's song "Lay your hands on me" was especially impactful to me in that sense, because I understood the context in which it was written. I hadn't even watched the anime, and already I had formed an emotional and empathetic connection to the song that was motivated by more than simply the song's melody and track.

The concepts found in this map are woven around the theme of anime-referencing, which you seem to just toss out. That's unfortunate. This is not any random OP, this OP is very important to the anime. The characters are all central to the anime too, and each gimmick accurate reflects the personalities, and strengths of each character. Unfortunately it's you that has the tissue-thin reasoning that gimmicks can only be influenced by music. Thanks for your concerns, but since you aren't willing to acknowledge anime-referencing, we won't be able to reach a consensus as that is the core of this entire mapset. Simply put, we don't agree on a fundamental level. I hope you'll consider deeper contexts, themes, motifs etc... in your future mapping. I was honestly looking forward to more creative and interesting things from you.
Blueprint
Just so happen to finish kuroko no basket recently so I can relate
I really love what you have done with this map (I read Difficulty Guide!! haven't play tested yet)
Shiirn
That's a lot of flowery bullshit you got there, but you're still forcing your impressions on the player by intentionally warping the purpose of the map to form your own creative purposes, completely out of touch with the music itself. I'm going to fundamentally disagree with that concept because I feel that we should be working with the music, not treating it as a tool only to be exploited for our personal impressions.

I have no personal issue with the actual concepts in the map, they're heavy-handed as shit but they're executed as well as you could make them without making them unplayable piles of garbage. I just disagree with your reasoning behind forcing the player to go on your ride -

This map is not "Can Do", it's "Monstrata's gimmick mania centered around a basketball TV size". If you fundamentally cannot see any problem with the fact that this map is entirely about you and that I personally find it disrespectful to make the map all about your decision to base the map around these gimmicks, then that's fine. I can respect your decision. I just want it to be clear.

The difficulty naming conventions should be cleared up, and while I wish you could additionally add in the concept the difficulty is based around, I feel like [Perfectionist Extra - "Midorima"] or whatever would be really long-winded and dumb.
Topic Starter
Monstrata
The map is about Akashi, Kuroko, Murasakibara, Aomine, Kise, Midorima, and Kagami, since they mapped it. Cya~
Blueprint
Considered adding any difficulty for some of the odd ball players? I don't remember the names but there was that guy who always caught rebounds and nobody could understand a word he said, the team that pretty much caused people to foul them selves not sure how you could map around it but just 2 examples, ahhh don't forget the shot's Aomin made from behind and at the side of the basket with some strange angles

"The map is about Akashi, Kuroko, Murasakibara, Aomine, Kise, Midorima, and Kagami, since they mapped it. Cya~"

Or an Entirely new map set on a different outro or intro
Topic Starter
Monstrata
The problem with adding more characters is first of all, that it would require a lot more difficulties than I'd want to do xP. Also, If i add more characters, it would make the set really inconsistent. Like if I added one support character, why didn't I add another? Why did I add Hyuuga but not say Takao or someone? It's best to just stick to the main characters.
Lasse
Can Bubble
changes that were done:
some hitsound things

akashi:
01:07:837 (6,7,8,9) - changed pattern to fit the drumroll and similar drum pattern later better

normal:
00:09:187 (3,4,5) - rhythm is now much less dense

and probably something I forgot
Mun
MONSTRATA CAN DO IIIIIIT!
DeletedUser_6709840
Ayy bubbled again, I'm happy to see. I hope we can get this creative beatmap back to getting ranked
DONJGER
Good luck with getting this ranked monstrata!
Hituh

isopaharuntikka wrote:

Maybe you could name the diffs like this: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/683576 ?
This looks cool. :)
-Atri-

Monstrata wrote:

The map is about Akashi, Kuroko, Murasakibara, Aomine, Kise, Midorima, and Kagami, since they mapped it. Cya~
Did you just copied the idea from my diff names?
diraimur
dont forget to change description to represent the diff names since you changed them
Kagetsu

Monstrata wrote:

Kagami's Extra

the largest possible jump in the game.
not true tho, you could put the circles outside of the grid and it would be still rankable (as long as they're not offscreen)
Topic Starter
Monstrata
Thats true I guess... It goes into grey territory imo lol. You can't actually put the circles off screen using object placement or coordinate values, you'll have to use some sort of Ctrl+S+Shift+R or Ctrl+Shift+F function to get them where they are. If you can't replicate the off-grid position using editor, then it breaks the rule where you can only edit the .osu if you can also do it inside the game xD.
Kibbleru
requ
DeletedUser_6709840
good stuff has returned, congratz
TehDragonGuy
I don't see what's wrong with the diff names if this is rankable with the same thing.
Spaghetti

TehDragonGuy wrote:

I don't see what's wrong with the diff names if this is rankable with the same thing.
thats different cuz its just another alias for a gder, all the maps on monstratas set are actually made by monstrata. same thing was done in this set: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/937188&m=1

also this has like 8 of those

also maps are judged my a case by case basis
Sonnyc
YakiBoss
Arphimigon
Gratz
shizukanoto
I was reading earlier posts in this thread since I was curious about what kind of crazy conversations you went through to get this ranked, and I have to say, I'm astounded by how many short-sighted pricks were here to spew nonsense. Here is my opinion on the novelty of the mapset:

This mapset is very fun. There's nothing wrong with it besides requiring the player to be somewhat familiar with the anime, or to have read the difficulty guide, to fully enjoy it. Whoever doesn't like Kuroko no Basuke can simply avoid pressing the Download button, just like how you'd ignore a map if you don't like the music. On the other hand, people often try to find maps for specfic songs, so naturally there would also be people that try to find maps for a specific anime. And those people that search for "Kuroko no Basuke" beatmaps would find this and LOVE the anime references.

If this didn't get ranked, we would potentially be depriving thousands of people from being exposed to a very enriching osu! experience. By that standard, it's reasonable to say that this mapset is of a high enough quality to deserve to set some precedents.

Thanks for your hard work. I'm a big fan, Monstrata.
show more