Alex3i2
Anyone know an ok semi-mechanical or mechanical keyboard? Max 70$
Sayorie
Please go full mechanical.
Fxjlk

Arthraxium wrote:

Please go full mechanical.
The Gambler
Semi mechanical is actually more expensive than full mechanical...

Topre: https://deskthority.net/wiki/Topre_switch
Example: https://www.amazon.com/Topre-Realforce- ... B00B5SEHNC

Cherry: https://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX
Example: https://www.amazon.ca/Filco-Majestouch- ... B004VKUSG6

Cheapest mech I can find: https://www.amazon.ca/Azio-Backlit-Mech ... B00OBA6QYY

Even my osu! keyboard build is more than $60 in parts. Save that moola for a good one
TakuMii
^I think there are different ways you could define "semi-mechanical"...

They do sell "half mechanical" keyboards (basically rubber-domes with Cherry-compatible sliders on top i.e. Thermaltake plunger switches) which are super cheap, although I doubt they're that much better than standard rubber-domes. There are also partial mechanical keyboards (rubber dome keyboards with mechanical or optical switches on only a few of the keys i.e. the Bloody Q108 8-key optical keyboard that I imported a while back), but I doubt they even sell those type of half-assed keyboards in the Western world. I'd consider Topre switches as "hybrid mechanical", but that's at the higher end of the spectrum and not worth looking at when on a budget.

Honestly though, if you're only planning to get a mechanical keyboard just for osu!, you're better off grabbing either a mechanical numpad or one of those 2-key osu! keypads. Otherwise, you should just save up for a proper mechanical keyboard.
(You could go for a super-cheap Kailh or Outemu switch keyboard if you really want to go for something cheap, but I can't vouch for their quality)
[ Scarlet Red ]
Well a really good keyboard could be the CM Storm Quickfire TK it's around 100 dollars, and offers switches from Blues, to Browns, and Reds. It's also fully backlit. I've used it before and it's not AMAZING, it definitely gets the job done. I think Cookiezi even used it at one point. If you're looking to even go a little expensive you can get the Corsair Vengeance K70 Mechanical Keyboard. It's more expensive but it's the one I use (Red LED with Red switches). It has many varieties, but I guess I can briefly explain the difference in switches if you didn't know.

Red - One of the fastest Cherry Switches. It's very quick but you don't feel when the switch reaches it's actuation point (point of it activating the button). You only feel the key hit the keyboard surface.

Blue - A slower switch, a bit harder to press than reds and you hear a clicking sound whenever you reach the actuation point of the key so I would feel it's a bit easier to stop hitting the keyboard surface.

Brown - Browns are actually a sort of balance of Reds and Blues. A tiny bit harder to press than Reds, but you can feel when you hit the actuation point of the key (I'm unsure if you hear a click with these though)

Green - Exclusive to Cooler Master. Hardest switch to press down. To be honest I don't know why anyone would want one.

Speed - I think this is exclusive to corsair but I could be wrong. These switches are faster than reds with almost half the time needed to active the key. I don't recommend them since it just seems like a waste in my opinion.

Great, now you have a bunch of useless knowledge. I use Reds currently but I'm thinking of making the switch to browns and grabbing an RGB keyboard (maybe the Corsair Strafe).

Just saying, if you want a good gaming keyboard you have to be willing to pay around 100 - 150 for a proper one. Two years ago I got this for 130, and it still works great.

Good luck in your decision!
Sayorie
Black > Blue > everything else
p.s. This is coming from someone who owns a Ducky Shine II MX Black, Corsair K70 Blues, SS 6gv2 Reds, Blackwidow TKL Oranges.
p.p.s. Take this with a grain of salt because I like heavy switches.

Reminder that CM Storm/Corsair/Razer aren't the only brands that exist so stop shilling. Ducky, Filco, and DasKeyboard are nice too.
TakuMii
Just a few things to add to Scarlet Red's post:

1) Cookiezi shouldn't really be used as a selling point for any piece of hardware. That guy can use even the objectively worst hardware and still be in the top 3 (case in point: that Freedom Dive FC using a keyboard with Kailh-made Razer Greens)

2) I wouldn't say MX Reds are the 'fastest', they're just the lightest to press. They do wonders for your stamina, but make it more difficult to type or play accurately (it takes some getting used to). I will say that they're the most common type among osu! players though.

3) MX Blues aren't really that hard to press. They do click, but I wouldn't say they'd be easier to tap lightly, as the force required to press the key drops significantly once you pass the actuation point, making it more difficult to control your finger after the switch actuates. Coupled with the fact that the tactile point actually moves upwards upon release, Blues (and Greens) require more finger movement for rapid keypresses when compared with any other switch, and because of this, I wouldn't recommend them for gaming. They're not bad for typing though. (LK2 Blues have the click but without the tactile release, which make them a lot better for gaming IMO)

4) MX Browns don't click. You can feel a soft bump at actuation (a la rubberdome), but otherwise they're about the same as Reds minus the accidental keypresses. Out of all of the Cherry MX offerings, I prefer the feel of these the most (although I'm still completely in love with my LK2 optical switches).

5) Greens are for people with a fetish for clicky switches people who prefer the feel of old-school mechanical keyboards. I wouldn't recommend these for anything but typing. (also: these aren't exclusive to CM, but gaming brands are very unlikely to use them in their keyboards due to how stiff they are)

6) MX Speeds are literally just MX Reds with a higher actuation point and covered with all sorts of marketing sensationalization. I don't see any problems with the switch itself, and I'd probably even recommend them over Reds if it weren't for the Corsair exclusivity and premium price point. I still think optical or capacitive switches would be just as good (if not better) though.

7) You forgot about MX Blacks. While they are stiffer than the more popular offerings, there are a couple of osu! players that swear by them. The stiffer spring provides a stronger restoring force, meaning that it takes slightly less effort to release the keys compared to the other switches (more effort to press down though). If you have strong fingers, they could have more potential for speed than Reds.

But yeah, as I mentioned, there are other options for switches. A4Tech's optical switches are both pretty great (LK2 Blue switches are miles better than MX Blues TBH), Gateron has smoother feels (despite technically being Cherry knockoffs), and Omron's Romer-G switches are somewhat unique and may be worth trying out (if it weren't for the high prices of Logitech keyboards :?). There are also quite a few...cheaper Cherry knockoffs out there, but I'd rather not give those a try so your mileage may vary.

(oh, and if it wasn't already obvious, I totally recommend A4Tech's Bloody LK2 switches. A little birdie told me that the keyboards are coming stateside in September, so look out for those. Not sure about pricing though, but I imported a B830 TKL from China for about US$60 + US$40 shipping/import fees)
The Gambler

YayMii wrote:

There are also quite a few...cheaper Cherry knockoffs out there, but I'd rather not give those a try so your mileage may vary.
If you can find the MX clones them in bulk and learn how to solder once the keys die out I'm sure that's a cheaper way to go rather than spending money on a premium for Cherry MX