forum

Tips on using HD anyone?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
NinjaBNova
Yea, recently iv'e been practicing using HD and kinda wanted some tips to help out with getting better at using the HD mod.

And I know, practice makes perfect. You don't need to tell me that.
gooder101
If you'll play hd all the time i think it will be the best thing you could do
Topic Starter
NinjaBNova
Thx, I thought that there is some specific things that can help. But when thinking about it now, there really isn't.
7ambda
Play it like nomod.
LoliPantsu
play without using approach circles
Sandy Hoey
I'll start by saying I started playing hd mod when I first started osu! and I actually can't play without it anymore. Although I may not be the best player, I think I have some good idea of how hd works. Here are a couple tips for you

1. The biggest part for me was finding a good skin. One that is not to flash so that it blinds your vision in certain areas, making it hard to see and remember the next couple of notes.

2. Another huge part of learning hd for me was actually learning to rely on the music and the beast instead of my vision for timing. Where you can time your hits based on the approach circle without hd, you really have to tune into how the notes follow the beat of the song. This really does help in the end though because it allows you to know preemptively how different parts of songs will play out based on the beat.

3. You may also want to consider that you have to go back down to easier maps to practice using the hd mod. If you have not tried this out it may help.

4. Really, the most important part is you get comfortable moving your mouse to a spot where you believe a note to be. You have to have confidence that you are going to hit the note, even though you can no longer see it!

Good luck in your learning endeavors!!! :D
gooder101
1,2,3 points are obvious while fourth is bullshit.
How are you supposed to play spaced streams and squares on hidden if all you play is some easy crap?
Practice things you are bad at and then poof you get better
N0thingSpecial
Play more
Sandy Hoey

gooder101 wrote:

1,2,3 points are obvious while fourth is bullshit.
How are you supposed to play spaced streams and squares on hidden if all you play is some easy crap?
Practice things you are bad at and then poof you get better
Sorry for trying to be helpful. I really don't see what YOU did to help him.

He isn't at a level where he is necessarily playing space streams on no mod anyways. So it doesn't matter. And just because you go down in difficulty for a little bit doesn't mean you can't go back to where you were or even past that after you get the hang of it. Whenever you are trying something new you should give yourself a little bit of an easier situation so that you can get everything under control.

And sometimes what you really have to do is remind people of the simple things.
gooder101
nope i didn't help him,neither you did,the only person that can help him is he himself,nobody else is going to play instead of him.
and why would you waste time getting good at easy things if they appear anyway in the harder maps.
Sandy Hoey

gooder101 wrote:

nope i didn't help him,neither you did,the only person that can help him is he himself,nobody else is going to play instead of him.
and why would you waste time getting good at easy things if they appear anyway in the harder maps.
Are you telling me that when you learn something new, you don't start with the basics? Ummmmm. I don't know what to say. Hey, at least I tried to help. I don't even know why you're here
Mortal

gooder101 wrote:

Because if you cant play that harder maps then go and play easier maps till you do it in a comfortable way, and then go to those hard maps, a player doesnt start playing osu on 5*, and hd is mostly all in reading and timing.

My opinion
Sandy Hoey

MortalStriker wrote:

gooder101 wrote:

Because if you cant play that harder maps then go and play easier maps till you do it in a comfortable way, and then go to those hard maps, a player doesnt start playing osu on 5*, and hd is mostly all in reading and timing.

My opinion
tyty
gooder101
This is a rhythm game and "basics" work in a diffrent way than in other things.
Of course i can agree that playing easy stuff is one way to do the thing but my point is,this is one of the slowest ways to achieve what you want which is not very promising,agree or disagree it doesn't matter because this conversation won't prove anything,cheers
sorrensen_DELETED
As a person that started playing HD about a year and a half ago and been using it eversince, here's some advice and things to do that helped me very much.

First of all, finding a skin that helps you with reading is really important. That means not only minimal lightning, small hit circle overlay and trasparent sliders (though I don't use any of it, cause it doesn't make me comfortable) but also a cursor you are comfortable with, since you will see it a lot.

Next important things is reading, which means seeing a note and identifying where it belongs on the playfield and timeline. That means playing different combinations of BPM and AR. I see no problem starting out with easy maps and slowly moving to harder and harder maps, as this is the safest way to become better at HD or even a better player in general.

I believe that practice makes perfect. Just play maps you already know well, no matter the difficulty, so you get a good idea of how different BPMs and ARs work and how to read them. Don't hesitate to memorise maps when you first start, as long as you still learn something out of it.

At the end it all comes to 'play more', and I mean both 'play more maps' and 'play a map more times' (remember that both are important in this game.

And a friendly advice to help your mindset: Generally HD is easy to 'play, for some people like me it's even easier than nomod, because you see very note twice, once when it appears and once when it dissappears, so it's very easy to aim each note. All you have to do is to correctly read the note (in terms of timing), which may be easier since there are less notesin the playfield. ;)
darkmiz

gooder101 wrote:

great tip from a no-mod player
Sayorie

darkmiz wrote:

gooder101 wrote:

You don't need to become an hd god to give that advice. It's just a paraphrase of "play more", and play more is the only answer.
gooder101

darkmiz wrote:

gooder101 wrote:

Mayby i am not hd player but i had my fair share of practicing it so i don't say things i don't have idea about.
I even have 259 pp play that was made with hd so you know i can actually play it.
cheers
Luqanted
git gud
play more
enjoy game
Topic Starter
NinjaBNova
Thanks for the help everyone!

And I knew that the main way to get better at HD is practice. I just wanted to know that if there is anything specific that I can do.

- I found that using a skin that wasn't flashy and distracting. I currently use WWW 1.7 because I found it to be better for me.
- I also found that going down a star did help me get used to HD and then going back up to practice it on my current star maps that I play (which is like 4.5 star maps), I improved on those maps when I used HD.
- Finally, trying to understands the beats and focus on it more helped me.
Sandy Hoey

NinjaBNova wrote:

Thanks for the help everyone!

And I knew that the main way to get better at HD is practice. I just wanted to know that if there is anything specific that I can do.

- I found that using a skin that wasn't flashy and distracting. I currently use WWW 1.7 because I found it to be better for me.
- I also found that going down a star did help me get used to HD and then going back up to practice it on my current star maps that I play (which is like 4.5 star maps), I improved on those maps when I used HD.
- Finally, trying to understands the beats and focus on it more helped me.
Dear gooder101,
SUCK IT
gooder101
What am i supposed to suck?
This guy found out what works for him,while it might won't work for someone else.
If he didn't know the obvious mayby watching osu academy videos would be more apropriate in the first place.
Still thanks for trying to be the "right" person here.
Cheers.
N0thingSpecial

Sandy Hoey wrote:

Dear gooder101,
SUCK IT
Are you 10 or somethin
Endaris
Play without followpoints. Play some AR7+HD.
Effect quickly kicks in.
Mystiful
how do i play with hd? im starting it and its hard boi
Endaris

Mystiful wrote:

Did you read through the entire thread and tried the things suggested...?
Mystiful

Endaris wrote:

Mystiful wrote:

yea
Zelzatter Zero

Endaris wrote:

Mystiful wrote:

but most importantly (to Mystiful, not you), have you really learn any lesson from thread necroposting?

Please just make a new thread instead.
Mystiful

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

Endaris wrote:

Mystiful wrote:

but most importantly (to Mystiful, not you), have you really learn any lesson from thread necroposting?

Please just make a new thread instead.
i dont necropost.
Endaris

Mystiful wrote:

Endaris wrote:

Mystiful wrote:

yea
Then please provide information why the suggestions didn't help you and what specific problems you encounter.
From "it's hard boi" none will be able to give you a better answer.
Zelzatter Zero

Mystiful wrote:

i dont necropost.
Yup, posting something that has been dead for 4 years isn't necropost. Seems like I have to learn more.