forum

7k(& 5k, 9k) players: Which hand/finger do you use for mid?

posted
Total Posts

7k Players (5k, 9k as well): Which thumb(or finger) do you use for middle note?

Right-handed / Right-hand thumb
36.92%
Right-handed / Left-hand thumb
40.65%
Left-handed / Left-hand thumb
10.05%
Left-handed / Right-hand thumb
3.97%
No thumb - I use my index finger for mid and pinky for the outermost column (both fingers on same hand/side)
8.41%
Total votes: 428
Topic Starter
-PABZ-
I'm right handed and I've always used my left-hand's thumb for spacebar as far as I remember. It might be the result of playing fps games (e.g. CS 1.0/1.6) when I was a kid.

I admit that I am having difficulty in some patterns which players who use thumb on their dominant hand have no problem dealing with (**patterns such as mid-column jackhammers and 185+ bpm column3 & columnMID trills/trill-burst).

I tried to switch and after more than a month of play, I gave up.
My right hand is very stiff. I was a bit better at patterns I'm normally bad with (like the ones I mentioned above**) but I became bad at everything else (Long notes, Chord Streams, etc.).

Eventually, do I really have to switch to reach even pre-ET/ET level?
I've seen some gameplay videos of ET players and all of them use their thumb of their dominant hand. I haven't seen or heard anyone who reached ET level on 7k using the thumb of their off-hand. (Maybe some of those I've seen are using the other thumb but I can't distinguish either way and people evenrarely talk about it either if they do).
gintoki147
I'm right handed and I use my left thumb for 7k and both thumbs for 8k, DJMax 5/7k and 7k+1.
I almost never play 8k though, so I'm way more skilled with my left thumb.

I don't think it really affects something
Gelfand

gintoki147 wrote:

I don't think it really affects something
Bobbias
I don't think switching would be a good idea. If you're already used to using your left thumb, stick with that. Switching would require completely relearning the muscle memory to play the game. Whichever hand uses the thumb for spacebar will have a different positioning on the keyboard than the other one. Switching hands would require completely retraining both hands to play properly in a different position than they were before, and that would take quite a lot of practice.

The middle key is always going to be harder to hit than other keys when using thumbs, but you will get more used to it over time.
lenpai
You dont have to switch, spacebar related skills will come naturally provided that you play from time to time. Pretty much what Bobbias said.

right handed/left thumb space user here
Kurenai Erfolg
Right-handed and nose/tongue right thumb. My left hand is, like, 1.5 times slower than my right hand even though I've been playing standard for several years.
Ayaya
I'm also right handed but I use my left thumb. I guess because when playing fps games you keep your left hand on the kb and use spacebar to jump, so i got use it it.
Sorafu_old_1
Right Handed, Left Thumb. Essentially for all reasons already said. Since almost all games require movement in the form of WASD having your thumb as like the default for jump made me use it. Only for 7k though, on 5k like using my right ring finger and my right pointer for the middle one, idk why
Cipse
No options for both thumbs ._.
ggsnipess
Same with Ayaya but, my 5k is spacebarless, learnt it like that oddly enough.
akanecco_2323
gotta say i use my left thumb for 7k as a right hand dude
midgy

Brunliko wrote:

gotta say my right thumb is more stronger and im right handed so um ye i can do left thumb too but not a lot so i might can do both
nice necro
what if i alternate hand for the spacebar every tap?
Entropy21

midgy wrote:

Brunliko wrote:

gotta say my right thumb is more stronger and im right handed so um ye i can do left thumb too but not a lot so i might can do both
nice necro
what if i alternate hand for the spacebar every tap?
tried it since i started with 7k with both thumbs for mid when i was a complete noob on this keymode

tho i sometimes alternate thumbs when rolling from left or right, also on mid minijacks which is somehow comfortable

3/10 would not recommend

keybinds
qwe jkl
UltraBlack
This is a really old post but since someone revived it i'll say. I use right hand thumb for 7k and 5k when i wanna practice it. I saw sillyfangirl playing 5k using the index finger for the mid note since it is really easier for fast maps but it is up to you.
Enyx__old
I'm apparently not the only one to play 7k without any thumbs dhaha
My left annular suffer a bit but i have got used to that because my thumbs are actually too bad. I do not know if that's a good config but it works