forum

What is your opinion on hitsounding? [poll]

posted
Total Posts

What is your opinion on hitsounds?

I play with hitsounds enabled, and hitsounding should be mandatory when mapping for rank
22.03%
I play with hitsounds disabled, but hitsounding should be mandatory when mapping for rank
5.93%
I play with hitsounds enabled, but hitsounding should be optional when mapping for rank
37.29%
I play with hitsounds disabled, and hitsounding should be optional when mapping for rank
34.75%
Total votes: 118
Topic Starter
Jinjin
The ranking criteria on osu! requires that for all 4 modes (std, taiko, ctb, mania), beatmaps must have audible hitsounding. There are no exceptions to this rule. However, a lot of mania players prefer to turn hitsounding off for various reasons. So I came here to ask what the mania community thinks about hitsounding. Do you prefer playing with or without hitsounds? Do you agree with the ranking criteria that audible hitsounds should be mandatory? Feel free to share your thoughts.

(Hitsounding will probably always remain as mandatory on the ranking criteria, whether you want it to be optional or not. This poll was created to see what the community thinks about hitsounds)

Clarification for people who don't map or aren't familiar with hitsounds: Every single map has basic hitsounds to every note, whether or not the mapper chooses to add hitsounds or not. So optional hitsounding does not mean that there won't be any sound when a note is pressed. Instead, every single note will have a "hit-normal" hitsound noise. The mandatory hitsounding means that mappers need to use a variety of hitsounds on maps (since using only one sample is not allowed)
Yuudachi-kun
I prefer hitsounds because I like to know I've hit a note no matter how many kps the map has.
juankristal
Sometimes with, sometimes without it. But I think hitsounds should exist, at least at a really basic level in all the ranked maps.
Redon
-PABZ-
I like maps with hitsounds. I also happened to like those without hitsounds but with good notes mapped and I like it when I hear the rhythm through my physical keyboard "tap" sounds.

But I really hate it when maps have "bad" hitsounds like some maps have a ton of osu!standard sounds like converted maps and some hitsounds have unbalanced volume in proportion to the main music of the map (e.g. Lin-G - I Want You 7k RD https://osu.ppy.sh/s/114750).
Bobbias
I voted hitsounds disabled and they should be optional, but i do technically play with hitsounds being audible. I have a custom set of hitsounds that I use and I disable map specific hitsounds unless the map is keysounded.

If I didn't have to hitsound things, I'm pretty sure my kyoukai no kanata map would already be ranked -.- That aside, I would prefer hitsounds to be optional, but after thinking for a long time and discussing the issue several times, I've come to the conclusion that I can't really be too angry about them being mandatory. Peppy wants osu to have certain features be universal across all game modes in order to ensure that the experience of each game mode clearly feels like the same overall game, and hitsounds are something that have been a part of the game from the very beginning. Of course, they've also had controversy in standard just the way they are controversial in mania (with the possible exception that mania has potentially more of a reason for the community to complain about hitsounds since many members have come from other games that do not feature hitsounds at all). There IS a legitimate argument to keeping hitsounds for consistency's sake. I'm not endorsing that argument, but it is a legitimate point to be made.
Kempie
I play with hitsounds disabled. I love keysounding in LR2, but I'm getting at most 20ms of audio latency in that game. I'm getting at least 70ms of latency in osu!mania, which makes hitsounds/keysounds very frustrating. I did measure the latency in both games btw, these figures are accurate within 5ms (YMMV)

Besides latency issues, the quality of hitsounds in osu!mania varies greatly. Just compare AiAe and Anemone. AiAe has wonderful hitsounds, the kicksound really adds to the song. However, it's impossible to time your hitsounds to the beat in Anemone because it's full of inaudible cymbals. Other songs like Time To Air use samples that are near impossible to distinguish from the song itself, making it once again hard to time your hitsounds to the beat. I can't be bothered with constantly changing my song/effects volume, being unable to properly time my hits due to audio latency and inaudible hitsounds, and varying quality of hitsounds. None of these issues exist in LR2, which is why I love keysounding there. In osu!mania, I'll happily disable hitsounds.

I also think hitsounds should be optional, but peppy has been pretty clear about his stance on this issue.
Hestia-
Extirpate the hitsounds !!!
MEGAtive
I play with Hitsounds, and I think Hitsounding being mandatory for ranking a map is fine. I don't want to see maps ranked with Normal sampleset + Volume 100%. I love adding Hitsounds on notes so I don't see why I should hate Hitsounding as a must for ranking.

Hitsounding also filters maps that done with so much effort and that done with less effort. Think of it as a baseline for efforts given to a map. It sounds pretty stupid to rank maps effortlessly. I also understand why people would like Hitsounding as an optional for ranking maps since it always being a hindrance in ranking process, but IMO hitsounding is as fun as the patterning itself.
Quick Draw
I play with manually overwritten hitsounds (via a skin), and with custom beatmap hitsounds disabled. Unless all the hitsounds in a map use the same sound sample, I find them distracting and difficult to time.
Bobbias

MEGAtive wrote:

Hitsounding also filters maps that done with so much effort and that done with less effort. Think of it as a baseline for efforts given to a map. It sounds pretty stupid to rank maps effortlessly. I also understand why people would like Hitsounding as an optional for ranking maps since it always being a hindrance in ranking process, but IMO hitsounding is as fun as the patterning itself.
I disagree that hitsounding is an indication of quality/effort. Some mappers will spend a lot of time hitsounding, and some will not, and it has absolutely no bearing on whether or not they spent a lot of effort on the rest of the map.

Look at something like Entozer's Nou Shou Sakuretsu Girl. that map is extremely well made, but Entozer hates hitsounding, and he abandoned the idea of ranking that map because hitsounds are required. He spent quite a while working on the patterns of that map, but because he doesn't enjoy hitsounding, he did not want to spend all that extra effort doing something that feels like a chore.

Similarly, if i wasn't required to hitsound my kyoukai no kanata map, I'd probably have gotten it ranked by now (I did actually hitsound it, but the patterns are based on my custom skin's hitsounds). I did actually change some patterns in my map while I was hitsounding (the hitsounds revealed rhythms in my own patterns I didn't like), but I didn't really enjoy the process of adding hitsounds. Part of why I like music games is hearing the actual music. I actually prefer having a single set of hitsounds on everything because custom hitsounds almost never sound better to me than hearing the music without them. At least with a set of default sounds I can more or less filter them out, and focus on listening to just the music.
Ayaya
Let's be honest here, like 90% (maybe exaggerating) disable beatmap hitsounds and use skin hitsounds. If hitsounding was only optional then osu would have so many more good maps ranked,
MEGAtive

Bobbias wrote:

I disagree that hitsounding is an indication of quality/effort. Some mappers will spend a lot of time hitsounding, and some will not, and it has absolutely no bearing on whether or not they spent a lot of effort on the rest of the map.
I never mention Hitsound as a quality measure. Yes if hitsounding is optional we would get more quality maps ranked. I'm not disagreeing with you for that opinion. After all, this thread actually asks for opinion. Well, maybe I didn't explain my words thoroughly back then.

Hitsounding is something that many mappers mainly hate in ranking a map. They don't want to deal with adding hitsounds since they took time you can spend with charting another music or doing something IRL. Yes, at first I thought so but LordRaika shared his Hitsounding tutorial which actually made me interested in hitsounding.

What I meant by Hitsounding filters map with effort or not is something like "mappers that put an extra effort into their maps (hitsounding) deserves a chance to have their maps ranked". It actually helps limiting ranked maps since AFAIK back then osu has a problem with overload of ranked maps. It sounds really subjective yea i know but that's how my point of view about hitsounding. And if you're that lazy to add hitsounds, you have an option to ask other people help.
snoverpk_old
hitsounds are practically useless for mania you don't need them to have accuracy
lenpai
after turning off hitsounds to check if certain notes are ghosts or overchorded during modding, i never turned them back on though its more of a "i dont care if they're there or not".
Wh1teh
Hitsounds really only help me on some long jack maps where the sounds are hard to identify. Aside from that, useless.
Drum-Hitnormal
hit sound is a must, key sound is the best