forum

Help with reading LNs with Flashlight

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Catgirl
So I came back to this gamemode again recently, and I started playing Flashlight a little over a week ago. It really helped my reading ability with dense patterns and jumps. Because my reading got so much better and I can actually play FL fairly well, I want to stick with it because I don’t really enjoy playing nomod in any of the other modes either.

My problem though has been LNs, whether they’re long complex LN patterns or just some random hold note mixed in among some other patterns. I’ve never been really consistent with them in general, but playing FL has made me do more reacting than actual reading, and my brain can’t seem to process fast enough to tell my fingers when I need to hold or release when they’re mixed in with other stuff, even on fairly simple maps.

What advice would you give someone to learn to play LNs better, specifically with the Flashlight mod?
Yuudachi-kun
Use the hidden mod instead

Lower scroll speed
-MysticEyes
From personal experience lowering scroll speed doesn't really help playing with Hidden. Since it allows you to see the top of the playing field you should have the same amount of time to read the notes as if you were playing nomod (as long as you're looking at the top of the playing field). In fact lower scroll speeds made it more difficult to read for me since there's more time between when the notes disappear and when you're supposed to hit them, which made me more likely to "forget" notes during that time. I currently play with a cover and I struggle with slowjams for that exact reason.

But lowering scroll speed might help if you want to continue with Flashlight since you have less time to react to the notes. It might give you more time to process when you need to hit/release the LNs, plus you don't have to worry about "forgetting" the notes like you would with Hidden since the area you see while playing Flashlight is lower than the area you see while playing Hidden after a certain combo. However I'm not too familiar with the Flashlight myself so I'm no expert.

Moving to HD is fine, but if you're comfortable with Flashlight you don't have to change your play style.
Yuudachi-kun
Yes I forgot to put an OR in there
juankristal
Long note releases will always be a pain with FL. If you see that there is a not at the end of it you can use that point to release the LN and then, maybe improve on them.

Lowering the scroll speed might help, but in general using flashlight takes time to get used.
Topic Starter
Catgirl
Thanks for the replies so far. I haven't tried lowering the scroll speed yet because I'd have to adjust more. So I've just been playing more LN heavy maps and I'm doing better. I think I just need to grind LNs more in general because I had troubles playing them even before I started using FL.

If I could get to where I am reading normal notes with FL, I think I'm probably close to where I was reading LNs as well. (which is still really bad lol)

-MysticEyes wrote:

Moving to HD is fine, but if you're comfortable with Flashlight you don't have to change your play style.
yeah i didn't like the size of the visible area decreasing with combo with HD, otherwise it wouldn't be that bad. FL is perfect for me because there's as little on screen as possible to distract me, and the visible area doesn't change.
aitor98
LN's are hard with FL that's true, but most of the beatmaps (between 2* and 5*) comes with a single note or another LN next to it. That makes way more easier if you focus in the other note, and It'll help you to know when do you need to release the LN. But if there isn't any note following the LN that you wanna hit, that is going to be a bit more difficult but you know, all comes "easier" when you get used to it.

And something about the HD mod. In my opinion, it's a better mod than FL, and surely better to get a good accuracy too, but If you feel good with FL just keep with it and enjoy this game (It's just an opinion don't blame me I love you all here).
Yuudachi-kun
You can skin in the hidden mod and it will be static
-Squishy

Khelly wrote:

You can skin in the hidden mod and it will be static
Aye, I made something like that already p/4171075/
You can change the mania keys so that you can have a flashlight effect wherever you want on the stage or even add a bit more transparency like the hidden mod I made to help with slowjam and stuff.