forum

How do I record long, HQ videos at low filesizes for a BM?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sir_Brian
I've seen numerous beatmaps using long, high quality videos and the filesizes are very low.
How are they doing it? I set very low bitrates and resolutions in OBS and it still doesn't come close, even when they look like garbage.
I tried searching about this, but I couldn't find anything.

Before you link it, no, this is really basic and not helpful.

*I found this guide and it's pretty much the answer, so consider this solved.
Endaris
OBS is NOT a software you should use to record videos from Youtube or similar!
OBS is - as the name suggests - a software used to streaming your own screen. Videos on other sites will already be encoded so you're basically recording a high quality version of something that already has degraded quality.
As stated in the guide you found: You need a high quality source file! It is often possible to directly download videos from YT via tools like JDownloader (it's important to select the HQ-Link of the YT-video here) or find even better source files by searching the internet with good keywords.
And another reference to the guide regarding what you need:
A fast computer or a lot of time
Your PC needs a good amount of time to process the videorendering and stuff. When recording with OBS, the amount of time for rendering is very limited as - even though it can be buffered a bit - it basically has to be rendered in realtime which gives you a significantly lower quality compared to when you would record a raw and unencoded source file and encode it later on with a video editor and as much processing time as you want.
Topic Starter
Sir_Brian
OBS works great for local recordings when you set it up properly, I prefer it over Shadowplay, FRAPS and Camtasia. I still get very low file sizes with OBS, but Avidemux is making the file sizes much smaller afterwards, so I've got it figured out now. I didn't intend to record streaming videos from YT or anything, I'd just download the video in that case. It only took a few seconds to output a 1:30 video file from Avidemux, which is nice. Low file sizes and high quality too. Thanks for the detailed post anyway. :D

This video(gameplay of osu!mania) and many others on my channel were recorded with OBS, by the way :) I've increased the quality/bitrate in the past couple weeks, so my older vids aren't up to par in that department.
Bara-
Uhh you want to record a video and then apply that to a map's video?
Why don't you just search on youtube (or any other video-sharing site) and download it from there?
Topic Starter
Sir_Brian

Bara- wrote:

Uhh you want to record a video and then apply that to a map's video?
Why don't you just search on youtube (or any other video-sharing site) and download it from there?
Yes.
Because it's an old video and I have access to the source in its highest quality. Because of that, I could also record it in the proper dimensions off the bat, etc..
Yanterko

Endaris wrote:

OBS is NOT a software you should use to record videos from Youtube or similar!
OBS is - as the name suggests - a software used to streaming your own screen. Videos on other sites will already be encoded so you're basically recording a high quality version of something that already has degraded quality.
As stated in the guide you found: You need a high quality source file! It is often possible to directly download videos from YT via tools like JDownloader (it's important to select the HQ-Link of the YT-video here) or find even better source files by searching the internet with good keywords.
And another reference to the guide regarding what you need:
A fast computer or a lot of time
Your PC needs a good amount of time to process the videorendering and stuff. When recording with OBS, the amount of time for rendering is very limited as - even though it can be buffered a bit - it basically has to be rendered in realtime which gives you a significantly lower quality compared to when you would record a raw and unencoded source file and encode it later on with a video editor and as much processing time as you want.
You can also use clipconverter.cc. You can convert YouTube videos to any format (Like mp4 or avi) I use it every time. And the good thing is, you can choose the quality for the downloaded file.