forum

How to practice?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Raesor
Hey, so I've been playing osu! for 8 months now, and while my ranking flattens out for a couple of weeks at a time and then increases a little bit, for a couple of months now I've been able to do nothing better than about 5.5 star maps. (And some easy 6-7 stars like Airman.)

I want to know what kind of maps should I be playing to improve and make it so I can play at least 7 star maps. Do I play maps that I do well on, and try and beat my best scores? Or do I constantly push myself, on maps that I can almost beat? Which would help me get better at osu!? I'm fairly decent at jumps but am pretty trash at streams, and I'm not interested in accuracy, just completing a map, if that matters. I'm not too interested in ranking up, it's just that it feels I've hit a wall, and I'm not getting better, which ruins the fun, since I'm playing the same difficulty over and over again and not getting any better; it gets boring.

Thanks for any tips and suggestions, and thanks for not calling me 6 digit trash ;-;
Jukkii
plz enjoy game

also youre not even 1k pp play some 4* and get your basics down before moving on to very hard maps. then slowly move up to 5* and so on forth
N0thingSpecial
Tbh same, so far I've been only FCing some maps under 5.5*, idk man I don't know how I should improve
dung eater
score or acc are not very good things to think about when practicing. you need to look at how you play and think about why you do mistakes and how to fix that

look at your mistakes and things you suck at and try to suck at them less
timemon

jaaakb wrote:

score or acc are not very good things to think about when practicing.
unless you're practicing acc
dung eater

timemon wrote:

jaaakb wrote:

score or acc are not very good things to think about when practicing.
unless you're practicing acc
you should look at the mistakes you make in timing your hits (and why they happen, spacing out/finger not doin its thing, going too fast/slow compared to song, not understanding the timing etc.). looking at acc can give you some information about progress, but it doesn't help you when practicing.
Topic Starter
Raesor
Ok so from your responses so far, it seems that I should play easy maps like 4-5* which is what I've been doing so far, but focus on the easier ones and possibly S them. Then I should move up to harder ones. It also seems that along the way I should figure out what I've been doing wrong, but so far I've only noticed that I've been making silly mistakes, such as slider breaks, and just barely missing a few circles, even though they are not that far away. How do you suppose I fix that? Especially the slider breaks, those are the worst . >.>

Edit: After a little more warming up today, it seems I am kind of improving... I'm doing better on 4.5* maps, but am getting better accuracies but the same scores on higher star maps. It's pretty sad that that's my limit right now, but hopefully practicing these easy maps will make me better at the harder ones... ? Eh, it doesn't sound right but I'll trust you guys on this.
N0thingSpecial
That's kinda what you get for mashing maps above your level, you've been working on your skill cap and nothing on consistency, just play more, results won't come in a few days
Topic Starter
Raesor
Well I haven't really been "mashing maps above my level", I just play the 6-7* for fun sometimes, the rest of the time I'm doing the maps I've been able to do for the past month now, yet it doesn't look like I'm getting better at them ; it only looks like I'm getting better at the ones easier than them, which makes sense. It's just so painfully slow to improve past 5.5* it gets boring playing the easier ones, especially since it doesn't make sense to play easier maps to get better at harder maps - but that's what I'm going to do more of, since it's what you guys recommend.
mizuki-chan
you have not the "level of skill" for any map you can barely pass... i think you can consider having a skill level for 5 star maps if you can fc them with at least 97% acc ( other people say 99%+ is good, but i think 97 is decent). thats when you can say your skilled enough to move farther in difficulty, i think.

however here i tell you what is good for ME

always playing different kind of beatmaps (bpm, AR, jumpy, streamy ect)
not restarting a map too often
sometimes play a marathon map WITHOUT RESTART even if the first note is a miss (consistency)
the most important thing : have fun while clicking circles to beautiful music (remember games are made for fun)

you have to find out for yourself what is good for you, what you enjoy more, what you want to improve (or not)
of course you can do fun try a 7 star map,but i'd recommend just not getting overwhelmed too much...
N0thingSpecial
High star rating = pushing skill cap
Low star rating = pushing for consistency

I still have some trouble FCing some 4* marathon maps within 10 tries, while I can FC some 5* short maps with in 5 tries. For a long time I have trouble FCing maps around 5.5*, so I started trying to FC 4.7* - 5* marathon maps, and then it started my spree of 200 pp plays 2 weeks ago.

But yea if you're not enjoying yourself doing low star rating maps then just keep doing wt you're doing
Xyrus_old_1

Raesor wrote:

It also seems that along the way I should figure out what I've been doing wrong, but so far I've only noticed that I've been making silly mistakes, such as slider breaks, and just barely missing a few circles, even though they are not that far away. How do you suppose I fix that? Especially the slider breaks, those are the worst . >.>
You're probably not reading the timing correctly. For sliders, you need to read how long you need to follow them. You might find it easier judge holding them down until you need to moveto the next note though, e.g. if you can jump to the next note in 0.2 seconds and you have 0.5 seconds until you need to tap the next note, you may as well just follow the slider for the next 0.3 seconds.

For notes you're missing, try focusing on the approach circles, make sure you can see them closing in on the hit circle and wait until the last moment to snap to it and tap. Snapping might not suit you though, so be prepared to try something different as well.

Finally, it's fine to play higher star rated maps that you can barely pass, but spend more time on lower star rated maps that are more challenging than their rating suggests.

Frightmare [Insane]
The nature of dying
Crazy Motorcycle Chase [Crazy]
Jinsei Wa Hoeru [Phobot's Insane]
Synchronicity
dung eater

Raesor wrote:

Ok so from your responses so far, it seems that I should play easy maps like 4-5* which is what I've been doing so far, but focus on the easier ones and possibly S them. Then I should move up to harder ones. It also seems that along the way I should figure out what I've been doing wrong, but so far I've only noticed that I've been making silly mistakes, such as slider breaks, and just barely missing a few circles, even though they are not that far away. How do you suppose I fix that? Especially the slider breaks, those are the worst . >.>

Edit: After a little more warming up today, it seems I am kind of improving... I'm doing better on 4.5* maps, but am getting better accuracies but the same scores on higher star maps. It's pretty sad that that's my limit right now, but hopefully practicing these easy maps will make me better at the harder ones... ? Eh, it doesn't sound right but I'll trust you guys on this.
If you want to push the boundaries of what you can play, play those maps you can barely play. If you want to polish your skills and be able to play maps properly, focus on playing maps properly and weeding out those silly mistakes. Whenever you make a silly mistake you don't want to do again, focus on not doing it again (whatever the mistake is, focus on playing perfectly in regards to that [aim, tapping, reading {memorize how it should be played, both aiming pattern and tapping timing pattern}])

When it comes to sliders, you need to stay on the slider untill the end. Be aware of the hitsound on sliderend. Trying to follow sliders you can/barely can follow perfectly (in the middle of sliderball) is good practice for aiming (especially aiming spaced streams in a flowy manner). Even if it's a short slider, make that short movement even if you could just keep mouse in place.
Snow901
*ahem* there is nothing that can't be fixed through "play more". Focus on consistency of lower level maps that are 4* and you'll be amazed at how much better you'll perform in higher level maps. For improving streams the only way is to play stream maps: play till your fingers lock up and you can't move them anymore -> come back next day and notice how much faster you can hit notes on higher bpm streams. Do this and you will become cookiezi legendary.
KupcaH

Snow901 wrote:

For improving streams the only way is to play stream maps: play till your fingers lock up and you can't move them anymore -> come back next day and notice how much faster you can hit notes on higher bpm streams
Wtf, I'm doing this everyday, and still cannot stream >200bpm.
Improvement doesn't come in next day, lul.
chainpullz

N0thingSpecial wrote:

I still have some trouble FCing some 4* marathon maps within 10 tries
N0thingSpecial
Not implying I've never sight read FC 4* marathon maps, but it's not consistent to the point where I can just shit out 180-200 pp non stop
Rektango
for me, getting better was simply hopping on osu, warming up, and playing maps that cant be FC'd at my skill level.

then you go on some random 6* map, almost FC it, then set a top score on accident https://osu.ppy.sh/b/816600?m=0
Topic Starter
Raesor
Seems like a lot of good suggestions here, I think I've got a good idea of what to do now, thanks!
kurodahatsuharu

Raesor wrote:

Seems like a lot of good suggestions here, I think I've got a good idea of what to do now, thanks!
Please, you play for 8 months and you top score is a 4.3* song, and i don't think you even FC it. What you need to do now is admit you're suck and play 4.3* for god sake.
show more