forum

Fastest way to improve?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SanzenSekai
Hello guys i really love osu and want to get much better then i am now.
Im practicing between 5 and 6 stars. my level is more to the 5 stars.

What i want to know is: what is the fastest way to improve? Should i play jump practice and stream practice maps or should i do things like 50 maps on 5 stars, 50 maps on 5,5 stars etc.

What's the fastest way to being a better osu player?
Deva
First step to getting better is to stop playing stupidly hard maps and play ones that are on your level.
For you that's sub 5*
timemon
DT helps you improve faster
N0thingSpecial

timemon wrote:

Relax helps you improve faster
ftfy
Deva
How do you always forget to tell people that FL is best for improvement? ffs
winber1
eat a well balanced breakfast
Nanamii
Cookiezi cosplay
7ambda
meme more and think less
chainpullz
t/464517

If you struggle to even pass the upper bracket maps you shouldn't even bother playing 5-6* maps. 4.6-5* is where you start seeing all the patterns (aside from memestreams) so there really is no point in trying to rush your way up the difficulty curve anymore. Just play lots of different maps and stay away from things like tv size maps and cut versions because the majority of them use the simplest of patterns and won't really provide much for you to improve on.
Fxjlk
Fastest way to improve is to play as much as you can without playing through pain.

Also play songs within a certain range of difficulty depending on your skill level. If its too hard you'll develop bad habits and if its too easy you wont learn much.

Right now I think that 5-6* might be a bit too high. 5.2* should be approx your max. A good rule to follow is if you cant clear the map at all it might be a bit hard for you.
ithgyu
I'm gonna give you a proper answer on how to actually improve faster. First and foremost the one thing that you ultimately have to do is "play more," however if you want to improve faster then you want to focus on the things that you are not as good at. If you want to push to improve your max skill you want to play maps that are outside of your comfort zone. If you want to improve consistency go for fcs but never retrying more than 3 times on a map. Speed play fast maps, acc prac acc etc etc. Its not as simple as the crappy advice you usually get here where idiots tell you to play shit until you can get at least 98% on the map because that's just dumb. Ultimately you have to do it all if you want to improve faster, do sessions where you do hard shit like 5.5 and up maps where you can barely get even 90 or even 80%, but also do sessions where you focus a lot more on consistency and developing a greater control over the cursor instead of the wild jumps that you will make on harder stuff.
I Give Up

winber1 wrote:

eat a well balanced breakfast
This is legit advice you focus a lot better this way throughout your day. Get full sleep and exercise also help a lot.
youva

II Jelli II wrote:

I'm gonna give you a proper answer on how to actually improve faster. First and foremost the one thing that you ultimately have to do is "play more," however if you want to improve faster then you want to focus on the things that you are not as good at. If you want to push to improve your max skill you want to play maps that are outside of your comfort zone. If you want to improve consistency go for fcs but never retrying more than 3 times on a map. Speed play fast maps, acc prac acc etc etc. Its not as simple as the crappy advice you usually get here where idiots tell you to play shit until you can get at least 98% on the map because that's just dumb. Ultimately you have to do it all if you want to improve faster, do sessions where you do hard shit like 5.5 and up maps where you can barely get even 90 or even 80%, but also do sessions where you focus a lot more on consistency and developing a greater control over the cursor instead of the wild jumps that you will make on harder stuff.

how does that help? and why not do more than 3 retries?
ithgyu
I guess it helps in like the same way that a heavier weight workout works. You are in essence building strength so when you go back to easier stuff you have a higher max to act as a foundation for building consistency on harder songs. After playing a lot of quite hard stuff, even if your just going ok on the maps, once you go back to maps more around your level it feels a lot easier and you are able to focus on your cursor and being in control more. The reason you dont retry more than 3 times is to simply build consistency and to better develop reading. If you dont retry maps much you will end up dloading a lot more maps and you will experience many more patterns. After you play a map a certain amount of times in a row you start to develop habits on the map, which dont translate to other maps, playing stuff that your not used to or stuff that is simply different to the map you just played will do good shit to your reading.
Topic Starter
SanzenSekai

youva wrote:

II Jelli II wrote:

how does that help? and why not do more than 3 retries?
if you practice a map more then 3 times you will mostly just learn the map instead of the best way to improve. sometimes you learn the wrong things and by doing it over and over you can make yourself even unable to ever finish a map because you are learning yourself the wrong rithims. (personal thoughts on 3+ tries)
youva
Oh I understand that makes sense, thanks!
Insyni
Get lots of sleep, eat a healthy balanced diet, get some exercise, and play too much on a consistent basis.