forum

Some unfortunate incident about username changing

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Flower
It is known that users in osu! community are allowed to change their usernames to another once they become osu! supporter or after purchasing username change tags. And recently one of the users in my community made a username change a couple of days ago:

After a few minutes, he received a private message: (in order to protect relevant personnel's privacy, names are covered)

This is a totally normal pm, however as this came from a stranger and name changing is an important fair, our protagonist made some brief research.
Finally he decided to temporarily put it down, because it was late and he had to go to sleep.

When he got up the next day he received yet another message from the same user:

Well that became complicated. Nonetheless, our protagonist regarded this as a joke so he put the message to a tieba thread

Here is the brief translation of 1st post:
SPOILER
It comes to pass that
Around 1am this ID is available
So I changed my name
After a few minutes I received such a message
(picture)
tbh I don't know this guy
I checked his profile and found that he seemed to be kinda high ranker
And I googled him and found that he was a mapper
And I didn't reply to him and went to bed
I received such a message after I got up
(picture)
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

So he received the 3rd message from the same user.

------------------------------------------------------

My opinion is, if I am correct, that the cool-down mechanism has provided a sufficient protection against identity impersonation. If the private message sender really has question about this, it is way better to consult a moderator against the particular issue. Of course, if it was, that this case was judged as invalid, the message sender still cannot change their names to Amamiya Yuko. However, I asked a few moderators, and they supported the argument that this case was legal.

Secondly, I would like to criticise the one who gave the link of tieba thread. It has been obvious that the message passer did not translate or paraphrase the thread correctly, which caused some misunderstanding.

Thirdly, it is against community rule to repeatedly throwing insulting words and personal attack against any other user.

Lastly, to all users, select your user names wisely. I won't blame you if you insist to change your name to amamiya yuko, sunwukong or wobeinimacao, but please be responsible to what you will be.

Discuss.
ZZHBOY
i support yf master
MirinH

ZZHBOY wrote:

i support yf master
09kami
up
Aomi
that guy is salty as fuck holy shit
Zain Sugieres
tldr
Cipse
Do you know how much angry I am and how much I hate you right now?
tryingtobe_old
Post the guy's username; don't be a pussy!
FuZ
gay username anyway
tryingtobe_old
Kisses is a much better name yet I didnt receive any death threats/hate mail
Hika
I learned that some people are extremely sensitive when it comes to this game
I.E. a particular high ranking Korean player messaged me because he thought I was trash talking him
come to turn out, I only mentioned his name once, and not even in an insulting matter

:^)
worst fl player

tryingtobe wrote:

Kisses is a much better name yet I didnt receive any death threats/hate mail
kill yourself
Faust
Well, the thread has got his name for everyone to see though..
Rurree
But it's a game?

lmao
Hika
Rurree wtf it's not a game... it's real life wtf r u stupid.......
Rurree
probably
Hika
But in a serious sense, can't be helped. Some people are just attached to the game no matter what and it's all that they have lmfaoooo
ciara_old_1
lol, the first pm.. dude was trying to act slick
Offdensen
He should be reported for forcing someone to change their username,and for bullying. What the fuck man.
DeletedUser_6709840
if you're trying to impersonate another player, then it should be a silence-able offense. But this person doesn't seem to be trying to impersonate anyone. ALTHOUGH, they should have stylized the name more so it wasn't as similar to the original user.
Railey2

RoseusJaeger wrote:

if you're trying to impersonate another player, then it should be a silence-able offense. But this person doesn't seem to be trying to impersonate anyone. ALTHOUGH, they should have stylized the name more so it wasn't as similar to the original user.
no he shouldn't have stylized anything. The salty guy doesn't have a monopoly on the name. End of the story. If he's mad, that is his problem.