forum

Should I get more experience before getting a tablet ?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Antimatter-
Heyo,

I started playing osu about a month ago (maybe a bit more than a month) and I love playing it so far. (I registered 2 years ago but played for like 15 minutes then stopped)

Anyway, I'm currently using a mouse and a keyboard (Zowie EC2-A and a CM Storm Quickfire w/ MX Blues) and I've been thinking about getting a tablet.

I know, I know, a tablet won't make me instantly the next Cookiezi, but I just enjoy the game and a tablet seems really cool to play with (even if it's getting one just for osu, I don't mind).
I don't expect to become better the moment I plug it in, but I have a friend playing with a mouse and he's much better than me so I don't know whether should I keep playing with a mouse, become better and be more experienced before getting a tablet ?

I'm using 1x ingame with 400dpi so it gets me tired pretty quickly (I'm used to 400dpi from playing CS:GO).

And a quick question regarding tablets in general: Is there a big difference between the CTL-470 to the CTL-471 ? I can't find a CTL-470 in my country but I found a CTL-471 for 65$ (a new one).

Thanks !
Xyrus_old_1
No, getting a tablet after you learn to aim with a mouse just means it will take you longer to get to the same level with your tablet as your mouse. If you really want a tablet, then get it now.
Deva

Xyrus wrote:

it will take you longer to get to the same level with your tablet as your mouse.
This is as false as it can get. It will take you 1-10 days to get used to tablet even if you have quite a bit of experience with mouse.
Xyrus_old_1

HK_ wrote:

Xyrus wrote:

it will take you longer to get to the same level with your tablet as your mouse.
This is as false as it can get. It will take you 1-10 days to get used to tablet even if you have quite a bit of experience with mouse.
So it takes the same amount of time to learn to aim 3.5* as it does 5* maps with tablet?
Deva
Could you please rephrase that in a way that even I could understand it?
N0thingSpecial
It's probably easier than you think since it only affects your aim, your reading and tapping is slightly independent to your aim, you don't need to re-learn those two components to aim properly, it's almost like changing DPI you don't immediately become shit just because you double your DPI.
Deva
What N0thingSpecial said. What influences your aim the most after your muscle memory is your reading, it stays intact when you start using tablet so you just need new muscle memory. Even tho that by itself sounds major everyone used a pen in their life so its easier than it sounds.
RaneFire
If you're already considering getting a tablet, just get one now. No need to wait. None of this experience nonsense. A peripheral is preference.
I Give Up
Go for it now so you save yourself from a lot of grief.
mizuki-chan
at the beginning the use of the tablet/pen feels everything different than natural.
you will probably hold your pen to high(too far away from the tablets ground) , too low (accidently touch the tablet ground with the pen nib and dragging) in the beginning. but you will get used to it and then you will really enjoy it after you figured out your best pen grip.
Snow901
If you really enjoy osu, then you should go ahead and get a tablet - the experience level doesn't really matter. I got a tablet four years ago for 3d modeling, and it sat on my shelf building up dust until I started playing osu; now it has a purpose and I use it pretty regularly. Tablet is fun but it took time to get used to playing with it.
Topic Starter
Antimatter-
Ok, so I'll probably go for it. Is the CTL-471 good for osu ?
mizuki-chan
i think there are a lot of tablets good enough for osu!
i only bought 1 tablet so far (wacom ctl-480) and i find it really good. i think any tablet will be good for osu, there are also a lot of players using huion tablets...