forum

Declining in Skill

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Pira
Hey guys, just stumbled onto the forums today and trying to get more involved in the community. Nice to meet y'all! :D

Anyway, while I was playing today, I noticed that something was off about my playing. Not just today, but yesterday as well. My current ranking is 87k, I joined 3 months ago and stopped playing until last week. I usually play 4.5* maps in hopes for FC'ing, and suddenly today I couldn't do any jumps without missing one before my combo was even past 50, even if they were really easy ones (I could still stream accurately though). Perhaps I just had a bad day.

I am curious, though, that although everyone says to "play more" to get better, is there such a thing as playing too much? When do you know that you should take a break and do something else besides playing Osu? And on that note, how much do all of you play every day?
Fxjlk

Opsianos wrote:

When do you know that you should take a break and do something else besides playing Osu? And on that note, how much do all of you play every day?
If your muscles ache or If playing is really uncomfortable you should stop and take a break. I play 1-4 hours a day.

Opsianos wrote:

I am curious, though, that although everyone says to "play more" to get better, is there such a thing as playing too much?
If you are playing to improve and you arn't playing with any pain then there is no such thing as too much.
StephOsu
the only time you can "play too much" is to play while your finger is already hurting really hard
dung eater
Concentrate more whe
n playing more. Let muscles recover before damaging them again. Pain means something is getting rekt.
Topic Starter
Pira
Thanks senpais! :3
Bruno
You can play until your hand/wrist/fingers hurts or until them get really tired, which is my case most of the time. There's no problem with playing that much if you have 5 min breaks within every hour or so. Everyone has bad days, bad weeks or bad months, as you can see in my profile. I was really stuck in my rankings and then all of the sudden i begin to farm more than ever. You can get a 1 or 2 days break too, as it kind of helps if you training a specific aspect of this game (aiming, streaming, reading).
Xyrus_old_1

Opsianos wrote:

Anyway, while I was playing today, I noticed that something was off about my playing. Not just today, but yesterday as well. My current ranking is 87k, I joined 3 months ago and stopped playing until last week. I usually play 4.5* maps in hopes for FC'ing, and suddenly today I couldn't do any jumps without missing one before my combo was even past 50, even if they were really easy ones (I could still stream accurately though). Perhaps I just had a bad day.

Opsianos wrote:

I am curious, though, that although everyone says to "play more" to get better, is there such a thing as playing too much?
When we say "play more" it doesn't necessarily mean playing more each day, just keep playing and everything will fall into place. Things like reading, streaming, improving speed/accuracy/stamina, etc. can take months before you'll see any noticeable improvement.

Opsianos wrote:

When do you know that you should take a break and do something else besides playing Osu? And on that note, how much do all of you play every day?
When it physically hurts. Taking a break every hour / couple of hours is also strongly recommended.
mulraf
oy!

since the others already tackled the thing with playing to much i'm gonna focus on the other part. i've found it to be pretty much usual to always "hit a barrier" after rising with your rank for some time. that's at least how it is for me and i've seen it at at least some other people, not sure how it is generally speaking. however if it is like that you will probably always be stuck for a little time and then advance after playing a bit more. basically like a bad day, yeah, just usually not only 1 but a short period. at the beginning it'll be easier to advance and later on obviously hader. when i was around 80k i was always stuck like a few days or a week at most. now at 20k i just got stuck like a month and thought i'd never get over it. just play more. if your hand hurts don't play more. and never think you'll be stuck for long, it'll fix itself after some time.