forum

Any tips on moving from 4* maps into 5* maps?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ron_mario
I have been playing for around 3.5 months now and I feel like I've hit a wall playing 4* maps. A few months ago I was playing early 4* maps and then I pushed on with and average 85% acc to about 4.8* maps. Once I realized my acc was garbage I went back to 4.3* to 4.5* maps and brought my acc to around 95% on average. Since then I have been stuck playing 4* maps and only very few 5* maps. I feel like I've hit a skill plateau and I need to change something to move on. I recently started to learn how to single tap which should help to improve my consistency, but I still see myself fcing some 4.7* maps while having trouble on some 4.3* maps. What changes should I make so I can begin improving again? In what ways can I move past this skill wall? I know this is a "play more" kind of question, but I have played quite a bit while not getting any better. Rather than just playing more I feel like I need to play differently. Thanks for reading and any help is appriciated!

TL;DR I have been stuck playing 4* maps for months and haven't been improving very much. What changes should I make and what ways and I go about moving on with my skill level?
Deva
I have a 4.46* FC worth more than your top score. You didn't hit any wall, you don't need 5*. You need to play more.
Yolshka
But a decent amount of your top plays were made in the past few days.

:oops:
Deva

Yolshka wrote:

But a decent amount of your top plays were made in the past few days.

:oops:
Your point being?
Xyrus_old_1

ron_mario wrote:

I know this is a "play more" kind of question, but I have played quite a bit while not getting any better.
When you feel this way, it just means you haven't played enough. I couldn't FC even the easiest of 5.5+* maps a couple of months ago, a week ago, I did it. Sometime "play more" takes months before you get even the smallest of results.

ron_mario wrote:

What changes should I make and what ways and I go about moving on with my skill level?
Just keep playing maps you've never played before, maps that challenge you, maps that feel weird, maps you find fun, etc.
Deva

Xyrus wrote:

I couldn't FC even the easiest of 5.5+* maps a couple of months ago, a week ago, I did it.
Grats.
Sayorie
Download more maps. Sometimes improvement comes with the right kind of maps for you, most preferably the ones you like.
Fxjlk
If you hit a skill ceiling focus on improving your acc, reading and consistency while your hands get stronger over time.
tfg50
To go from 4* to 5*..... play more 4* and sometimes 5*. Playing more works wonders, I wonder if anyone has tried that.
N0thingSpecial
Bruh same I'm still stuck on 4* maps I feel you, sometimes these 7 minutes long maps are too stressful to FC and get 99.5% acc on
Snow901

HK_ wrote:

I have a 4.46* FC worth more than your top score. You didn't hit any wall, you don't need 5*. You need to play more.
play more.
chainpullz
Learn how to play challenging 4* maps before fooling yourself into thinking you are a 5* player. Then the easy 5* maps will seem like a joke in comparison.

t/464517
Minhtam
Or you can be like me and master 4* maps without worrying about the 5* maps. Then dominate SQL Beginner division like no tomorrow.
Yuudachi-kun
Is it cheating to purposely keep your rank low like that
chainpullz

Khelly wrote:

Is it cheating to purposely keep your rank low like that
No. I see nothing wrong with getting pp when playing casual maps casually as a break from tryharding other maps. It's not really purposely keeping your rank low. I'm just playing things I want whenever I want to and the end result is I'm about 4k ranks higher (lower?) than I probably could be if I stopped playing the way I enjoy playing and only played the most pp dense maps for my skillset. It's just a coincidence that a lot of the maps I enjoy actually just give 0pp.
Yuudachi-kun
You see nothing wrong with keeping your rank low enough to enter tournaments for scrubs and then wipe the floor with them? You didn't mention tournaments ar all in your post btw which makes me think you missed the point
chainpullz

Khelly wrote:

You see nothing wrong with keeping your rank low enough to enter tournaments for scrubs and then wipe the floor with them? You didn't mention tournaments ar all in your post btw which makes me think you missed the point
Oh, yeah, that's kind of a shitty thing to do. I thought you were referencing me for a minute lol.
tfg50

Minhtam wrote:

Or you can be like me and master 4* maps without worrying about the 5* maps. Then dominate SQL Beginner division like no tomorrow.
To be a master of 4* maps you gotta be able to SS them hdhr, they give the same pp as 6* maps most of these are just inflated star maps tho
KupcaH
How to OD10, pls
timemon
I am master of 3*

SSing is never worth it tho and HD is ew
Barusamikosu

tfg50 wrote:

To be a master of 4* maps you gotta be able to SS them hdhr
I almost agree, but

timemon wrote:

HD is ew
My future will be to become timemon but I'll probably try to SS plz forgive me
Yuudachi-kun

chainpullz wrote:

Khelly wrote:

Oh, yeah, that's kind of a shitty thing to do. I thought you were referencing me for a minute lol.
Do you hear this mintham?
Endaris
Better develop an imbalanced skillset like me where you can play all those interesting shitmaps that always get banned in tournaments or not even selected by the map selector.
But you die on medium-length streams at 175 and above. xd
silento
If you're talking about actually playing 5* for fc, it will take a long long time. You'll need to build all skills appropriately. I have 700 pp or so more than you and still I'm nowhere near fcing a 5* map so I'm going to use my experiences and say no.

If you want to play 5 stars acceptably but just not for the fc, you'll just have to play more. Just start by playing and then practice what you're bad with.
Deva

TheArchist wrote:

I have 700 pp or so more than you and still I'm nowhere near fcing a 5* map so I'm going to use my experiences and say no.
I have next to no pp more than you and I have a 5* sightread FC. Its just that you can't FC a 5* map, don't think that other people can't either.
Yuudachi-kun
My first 5* fc was about a week after I got my tablet at ~1500pp or less. It was 140pp for dmc

My regular 5* fcs started happening in february 2015 at ~2600pp.

It doesn't take a long time unless you're some weirdo who wants to 99% every map before going to anything harder.
silento

HK_ wrote:

TheArchist wrote:

I have 700 pp or so more than you and still I'm nowhere near fcing a 5* map so I'm going to use my experiences and say no.
...Its just that you can't FC a 5* map, don't think that other people can't either.
Considering that I'm basing this on my experiences and nothing else KNOWING that other people have different skills and what not... ok.
Yuudachi-kun
Also you have like 2000pp
N0thingSpecial

Khelly wrote:

Also you have like 2000pp
ouch
Fxjlk
I think I was like 30-40k when i got my first 5* fc, probably was a bit late cause I mostly played 4.5-4.9

Started getting them regularly at about 28k, now i get 5.3* regularly or occasionally 99+ acc.

It takes a while to improve so its probably good to have smaller milestones like 5, 5.2, 5.4 rather than 4 or 5
Yuudachi-kun
Why are you mentioning rank and not pp? 28k means nothing when it was worde than 2000pp nearly a year and a half ago and is alwayschanging
Deva
Funny thing how I always work my way up from X* to X.5* and then just skip everything until next whole number.
show more