forum

New Easy Mod: Metronome

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +83
Topic Starter
theMikeAG
Title is self explanatory. Basically, when active the mod would play a metronome similar to the one in edit mode (but hopefully less annoying ;D) to help early players with their timing. The metronome should probably tick every 1/2 of a beat (or every 1/4 of a beat for very low bpm songs) and take off around .30x from your score. It might also need to have some form of visual representation.

I'm mainly suggesting this for four reasons. First, this could help players get a feel for the "window" for that perfect 300. Second, there are only 3 easy mods as is and this was one of the few ways I could see of making another one. Third, this would help players time beatmaps with lots of downtime (like Easy/Normal difficulties). And finally, I would really like to come up with a decent suggestion for a change ;D.

Also, as a bonus, it would be nice if the metronome sound effect was skin-able, so that players could replace the regular sound with techno beats or some nonsense like that.

Question: Why not make the metronome mod unrankable?
I'm going to oppose any and all posts suggesting that the mod should be unranked, and here's why. When I say that the metronome mod should be an "Easy Mod," I mean that it should fit in with Easy, Nofail, and Halftime. These mods exist so that players can play a more difficult beatmap and complete it with some form of satisfaction, without threatening more experienced players' scores. "Yay! I beat this 15 million point song with a million points! I'm so happy, I'm going to eat some cheese and play this game some more!"

Question: What if a beatmap follows an unusual time signature or changes time signature during the beatmap?
The metronome doesn't necessarily have to follow a 4/4 measure or even a 3/4 measure. It could adapt simularly to the edit mode metronome.

Question: Why can't you just use a metronome program on your computer?
Cited from awp: "this is not only a convenience thing, but would be calibrated to changing offsets, which is something you could STILL do via your computer but would involve a lot of hassle that most people aren't interested in working through" (page 1, post 10).
Luna
This actually sounds like a great idea~
It always kinda bothered me that there were only three difficulty reduction mods and this is a very reasonable suggestion for one ^^
Waryas
I think it should be unranked, other than that, support i guess?
Topic Starter
theMikeAG

JesusYamato wrote:

Unranked? Why? I don't see any reason that they couldn't just apply a point deduction and call it a day.
And besides, nofail is ranked. NOFAIL!!! :P
Shohei Ohtani
But the metronme being at 1/2s or 1/4ths (8th and 16th notes) would be incredibly confusing.

Beats should go with music, so after practice, getting 300s should be pretty easy, unless the timing is messed up. You wouldn't need a metronome to help you out with that. If you really need something to help you get omgperfect 300s, go on half-time or something.

No support.
Jarby
The beat is extremely well-pronounced in a lot of songs mapped here anyway. I personally think this request is completely pointless.
Kitsunemimi

JesusYamato wrote:

I say unranked as well. This mod is only to assist the player, and doesn't really enhance the experience by making anything significantly easier.
Topic Starter
theMikeAG

CDFA wrote:

But the metronme being at 1/2s or 1/4ths (8th and 16th notes) would be incredibly confusing.

Beats should go with music, so after practice, getting 300s should be pretty easy, unless the timing is messed up. You wouldn't need a metronome to help you out with that. If you really need something to help you get omgperfect 300s, go on half-time or something.

No support.
The ticks don't all have to be the same volume or even same sound. The 1/2 ticks could sound quieter than the 1/1 beats.
Also, you mention Half-time. Half-time would probably benefit the most from a metronome, because of how long you have to wait for each individual note. I'd also say that double time could benefit from a metronome mod as well, since you would have to relearn the timing and the background beat would be harder to hear.

Jarby wrote:

The beat is extremely well-pronounced in a lot of songs mapped here anyway. I personally think this request is completely pointless.
There are always songs where the back beat isn't as pronounced or is overpowered by other instruments. But yeah, I admit that a metronome mod would only be a little helper, not a big one. But can you blame me? How many other ways can you think of making the game easier?

Kitsunemimi wrote:

I say unranked as well. This mod is only to assist the player, and doesn't really enhance the experience by making anything significantly easier.
That doesn't make any sense. Why unrank a mod because it doesn't make things much easier? If it doesn't remove elements from the game, it shouldn't be unranked.

I was mostly thinking about Easy/Normal difficulties when I suggested this (a.k.a. Difficulties that often have a lot of downtime). Also, I'm editing the first post to further clarify what it is I'm suggesting.
blissfulyoshi
What about those songs where the map is mapped to lyrics that are incredibly offbeat? You know those songs people sing jokingly. Even if the lyrics are a whole note apart, the metronome will really just screw it up.

On another note, I don't think this should actually have any multiplier. What is to stop you from having a metronome on the computer that is somehow synced to the delay of your song?
awp
oh god this would be a disaster for prog music that jumps between time signatures every second measure

which afaik nobody really maps

It doesn't seem entirely useful; the beat of the music should be obvious

re: blissfulyoshi, this is not only a convenience thing, but would be calibrated to changing offsets, which is something you could STILL do via your computer but would involve a lot of hassle that most people aren't interested in working through
Topic Starter
theMikeAG

blissfulyoshi wrote:

What about those songs where the map is mapped to lyrics that are incredibly offbeat? You know those songs people sing jokingly. Even if the lyrics are a whole note apart, the metronome will really just screw it up.

On another note, I don't think this should actually have any multiplier. What is to stop you from having a metronome on the computer that is somehow synced to the delay of your song?
I don't quite understand. If a song's mapped to lyrics, then the author's found a bpm that follows with the lyrics. Wouldn't the metronome be perfectly synced with the beatmap anyway? Also... what sort of beatmaps do this sort of thing? I would love if you pmed me a link to a song that does this, then I might be able to see where you're coming from more easily. Right now, I'm just confused. :o

awp wrote:

oh god this would be a disaster for prog music that jumps between time signatures every second measure

which afaik nobody really maps

It doesn't seem entirely useful; the beat of the music should be obvious

re: blissfulyoshi, this is not only a convenience thing, but would be calibrated to changing offsets, which is something you could STILL do via your computer but would involve a lot of hassle that most people aren't interested in working through
I'm sorry, but I'm a noob and I have no idea what terms like prog or afaik mean. :? Although, if a song does change time signature, wouldn't that be a good reason to have a metronome? To further emphasize that the time signature has changed? Heck, that is a great reason for the metronome to have some form of visual representation; to show that the song has changed from 4/4 to 3/4 or whatever time signature you're using.
Also, I find it kind of funny that you post that a metronome mod wouldn't be very useful, and then give a legit reason for it to exist to another poster. Just saying.
I'm editing the first post again to take your concerns into account.
FireballFlame

awp wrote:

All the more reason for people to get the damn time signatures right in their maps. Actually, that's a good reason for me to support this. Maps that ignore signatures really annoy me.
Also, request seems like a good idea overall.

I don't get why ppl say it should be unranked. That's not the point of an Easy mod at all.

blissfulyoshi wrote:

What is to stop you from having a metronome on the computer that is somehow synced to the delay of your song?
What stops you from deleting all SB files+skins? Or doing this?
Having the pride to play fair I hope.
blissfulyoshi

FireballFlame wrote:

blissfulyoshi wrote:

What is to stop you from having a metronome on the computer that is somehow synced to the delay of your song?
What stops you from deleting all SB files+skins? Or doing this?
Having the pride to play fair I hope.
I hope you understood the point of my post... On another note, how is having a metronome cheating? I am not messing with any game mechanics at all. I am just having a metronome run in the background. If you don't want me to have a metronome on my pc, then I could just as easily set up a physical metronome next to my computer. Do you consider that cheating too?

Thanks for clarifying things for me awp.

theMikeAG: http://osu.ppy.sh/s/17005, I originally had parts of hard synced to the lyrics, but removed it in the end. The lyrics sometimes sync to offseats (blue lines in this case), so the metronome will throw you off more than it would help in that case. (Note: this isn't a great example, but I think it is enough to prove my point)
Topic Starter
theMikeAG

blissfulyoshi wrote:

theMikeAG: http://osu.ppy.sh/s/17005, I originally had parts of hard synced to the lyrics, but removed it in the end. The lyrics sometimes sync to offseats (blue lines in this case), so the metronome will throw you off more than it would help in that case. (Note: this isn't a great example, but I think it is enough to prove my point)
Okay. Now I see what you're talking about... I've got to agree with you; a metronome probably wouldn't help much in that case. However, I'm pretty sure that songs like that are few and far between though. Also, no one ever accused mods of being perfect. Easy, for instance, can totally screw the player over with its slower approach-rate.
theowest
This is a VERY good idea.

make it unrankable then.
Topic Starter
theMikeAG
As stupid as this is... You could consider Osu!Core a demo for the metronome in a way. :D
Animefan
This sounds like a very goo idea, and make it be easy, not unrankable
Anzo
Support, but it's better if the metronome is just 1/1s for this.
^for easy mod.
Topic Starter
theMikeAG
Lol at the Necroposting.
I have a confession to make. When I made this request a LONG, LONG time ago, I wasn't really that big on the idea. The only real reason I requested this was that I'm a perfectionist and I didn't like how the line of Easy Mods wasn't even with the others. I just wanted things to be even! :(

Anyways, since the Nightcore Easter Egg hasn't been implemented (which would basically remove all chances for this to be implemented.) I guess you can fight for this if you want to. I just don't really care anymore. :|
Have fun Necroposting!
ShadowzI_old
=S I don't see a problem with this being ranked...

Well then again I thinking of ITG/Stepmania logic where that option is available to you.

This might be going on a tagent but maybe a practice mode with a metronome option with be nice (practice mode should include other stuff too I guess.)
theowest
nightcore mod will be used less as a metronome now
p/2133780

so this new easy mod request is more valid now
xxbidiao
Thumb up!
Actually I do think this should be not 0.3x. It should be 1x.
And it should not be a mod - it should be appeared in option mode - "Play metronome sound".

The metronome sound may be played instead of at each 1/4, but on the actual note timing. This may make following of strange beats easier - you don't need to play in auto for the first time just in order to catch them. Though for it is just on time, you won't take benefit from that - it is just a helping tool.

Maybe a "Di" sound is ok like in Global Audio Offset window may be OK.

Sorry but no polls left :o
buny
this should be added, seeing as how we have the opposite mods for hard rock and double time

this mod would also reduce score and does not give an overwhelming advantage, so top 50 scores probably won't change at all. I see it more like a training wheel mod
BaWsaNoVa
I'd love for this feature to be added. Would absolutely be a great practice method.