forum

[Archived] Changing forum pages is often broken

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Scarlet Evans
Problem Details:

Sometimes when I go into some forum threads, there is no way to change the page you are on. It automatically gets you to page 1 and you can't change it to any other page, like 2,3,4,...,N. Also, clicking Next don't work.

http://puu.sh/q9zQQ/069cee4a1e.jpg

I have no idea why this happened, but I got this bug many times and it's really annoying, when it happens. I can't read anything aside first page, unless I manage to somehow access the topic in some other way. Also, the links to the next pages are looking very strange, like:

t/51911/hilit=new%2Bpage%2Bosu%21new%26amp%3Bamp%3Bamp%3Bamp%3Bamp%3Bamp%3Bamp%3Bstart%3D375%26amp%3Bamp%3Bamp%3Bamp%3Bamp%3Bamp%3Bstart%3D375%26amp%3Bamp%3Bamp%3Bamp%3Bamp%3Bstart%3D375%26amp%3Bamp%3Bamp%3Bamp%3Bstart%3D375%26amp%3Bamp%3Bamp%3Bstart%3D15%26amp%3Bamp%3Bstart%3D375%26amp%3Bstart%3D15&start=15
Pawsu
I'm assuming you were searching for a term with the search function? Something with spaces, correct? If so, this is a duplicate: t/95686
Topic Starter
Scarlet Evans
Wow, it's 4 years old bug? Anyway, I think it's good that I made a new topic, instead of writing in an old one - I don't want two infringements in one day for necro-ing old threads :P

Now, going back to being more serious:
As this bug is so old, I think it can be good to remind about it, in case that developers forgot. Well, I think they don't forgot, but I hope that this will be fixed, instead of being ignored and shifted with an argument that the New version of page won't have this issue.
New page, especially while checking players' profiles, looks to be very heavy for a browser and many people have problems with it working very slowly and sluggishly.

I hope that these issues with a New page will be fixed and the devs will definitely give their best in this matter BEFORE forcing players onto it.

Just look at what happened to Last.FM in last 1-2 years, when they literally broke they very functional page, changing it to the new one that was lacking in functionality in so damn many ways, in comparison to and old one, breaking many things which are still broken, literally destroying the song searching, giving completely zero feedback to community and ignoring it... etc., nevermind the details, as they are not important here. Who was using last.fm for some more time and more deeply, for actually looking for a music, cared for their profiles etc. will know what I mean. Even if there were some minor things introduced, the negative impact was so big and damage to functionality so great that many people just stopped using it for exploring music (they often didn't had a choice, because of negative changes), or stopped using it at all.

I trust peppy and firmly believe that something as bad as with Last.FM won't ever happened here, but I really hope that devs won't rush things too much and force something that won't be fully functional for everyone, without at least introducing some kind of solution to their problems, like disabling most heavy page functions, giving some simplified page working mode or just fixing this, as they probably know the best what is the reason of these issues :)
No idea, if my fear about this reasonable, but I couldn't find too much of feedback about what is planned to be done with a New page in future, also without details about how it is going to be done.
TheVileOne
It's going to be fixed in the new web (I hope). Any current issues with the old web are going to be resolved when that part of the code gets rewritten.
peppy
it's not even an issue on the new forum, so there's nothing to fix. also you can already recommend people to use that version. we're switching to it very soon
TheVileOne
I'm looking around and can't see a search function on new web. Am I missing something obvious?

Edit: search.php doesn't exist in new web.
peppy
Search will come later, but incoming links will not break as they do at the moment.