forum

Anyone interested in a team based league for Osu!?

posted
Total Posts

Are you interested about the idea?

Yes, I would be interested to play in a team based league.
63.64%
No, I am not interested in the idea. Why?
7.79%
Yes, I would be interested to be a referee/other staff member.
18.18%
No, but I would be interested in a 1v1 league instead.
9.09%
Other. What?
1.30%
Total votes: 77
Topic Starter
Tebz188
TL:DR PM me if you're interested in the idea as a player/staff member

Hi-yo! It's Tbag188 here with an idea for a league format.

For starters, I don't have too great of an idea how much interest this can gather, and the main reason for that is, that I have newer seen anything similar been used in Osu!. That being said, everything is still up in the air! There are some games I know that have been working with similar league system (community created!) with well over a century!

So this idea has been going through my mind for around two weeks in its current form. Other versions been there since I started organizing tournaments over a year ago here.

Short ver.
Every team in the league plays against eachother twice during regular season collecting points from matches. After regular season the top teams will face eachother in play-offs. Single-elim knockout. Somewhat similar to how some real sport leagues work.

More info of this in the Google Sheet I will link in the end of the post.

Long ver.
Regular season will be split into 2 halfs, each of which will have every team complete full round robin (each team will face every team once in round robin).

From win team would receive 3 points, winning after tiebreaker 2 points, losing after tiebreaker 1 point and losing w/o tiebreaker no points.

Both halfs will have their own mappool that will be built on the tier that the teams are at. Mappool would consist of 7NM+4HD+4HR+4FM+4DT+1TB or more if the teams want to.

After the end of second half, the single-elimination play-offs will start. Seedings would be decided upon how teams matched against eachother during regular season exmpl. #1 vs #8, #2 vs #7 etc..

More info and base ruleset available in the Google Sheet at the end of the post.

The structure of complete season would look something like this:

Qualifiers 1-3 Weeks
First half 3 Weeks
Break 1-2 Weeks
Second half 3 Weeks
Break 1 Week
Play-offs/Qualifiers for second season 3 Weeks

Tell how you feel about the idea, check out the Sheet for the base idea and ruleset I'll be building from. If however you are a bit afraid about writing a forum post ugh atleast I am as a matter of fact, feel free to vote up there in the poll or send me msg either in-game or through forum PM if I'm not online ATM.

Let's get it out there. Is here any interest in this kind of format, or is the idea 100% doomed?

From what I've talked with other organizers/referees/friends/players, pretty much everyone thinks that if this would happen, the major problem would be that peeps (organizers/players) are afraid to try new things here.
Second point that keeps coming up is that, Osu! Tournaments are too heavily looking into how ”fun” the mappool is, instead of looking into how the mappool should have lots of different stuff to test how teams matchup on a versatile mappool.

Anyway here is the Google Sheets I've been talking about through this post. Gimme some sort of info that how interested players (or staff members) are about the matter. Lets get the idea out there, spread it for your teams, friends heck even foes!
Topic Starter
Tebz188
Update: Thank you for showing your interest! I've never had this many msgs when I get back home. Somethings I can't answer with 100% certainty yet are things like the date this will start, or what about the rank range or if these rules and format will be final... actually that last one I can answer, rules and format will see some changes before the start.

The league won't most likely be starting for next 2 months, I have another project I wan't to finish and finals incoming on top of that.

About the rank range, this is fully in your hands, but for now I won't be having any until I know this will be a thing for sure.

Keep the ideas and constructive criticism coming.