forum

Somewhere to throw your votes [Storyboard Toggle] [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1,468
show more
mm201
You're going to cry me a river.
0_o

MetalMario201 wrote:

Epileptic SB layer? :D
+1
Wishy

MetalMario201 wrote:

You're going to cry me a river.
Isn't the idea meant for those cases mainly?
ziin

Card N'FoRcE wrote:

MetalMario201 wrote:

Epileptic SB layer? :D
Hey, remember this?
_P,[...],p
p: the effect parameter to apply
H - horizontal flip
V - vertical flip
A - additive-blend colour (as opposed to alpha-blend)
How about adding "E" (epilepsy inducing) for an object that may cause epilepsy?

(Also how about something like a "R" (reverse-able) for HardRock too?)
Oh this.
deadbeat

peppy wrote:

Edit: Okay, I'll actually leave this unlocked, but please refrain from continuing the same argument to the point of destruction. Before you post, consider this argument from a mapper's perspective too.

Wishy22 wrote:

I still want to know what I'm gonna do when I play on my notebook and have to wait for the whole song to be autoplayed for being able to disable it's SB.
also is nothing good enough for you people >:C
also can someone explain this Epileptic SB layer idea...i'm really stupid when it comes to...well everything :/
Claudia_old

Wishy22 wrote:

I still want to know what I'm gonna do when I play on my notebook and have to wait for the whole song to be autoplayed for being able to disable it's SB.
have the replay go at 2x and get over the fact that it's 2~4 minutes of your life

IMO that is a very fair condition and one that I, as a person who generally gets distracted by SB's, am very happy with.

still sucks for the epileptic people, I guess they can just ignore their computer while auto plays through it then disable the SB.
deadbeat
also you'll need to PLAY the map once...not watch auto play it, play it
Claudia_old
oh, well uh.

somebody should tell us more about the epileptic thing. a friend of mine wants to play, but she's uber-paranoid because she's epileptic.
Waryas
I'll try to block the BG with my mind, I'm happy enough that we can switch the skin/sb off.
I'm still interested to see some power players opinion about this.

Also is the fact that we watched the SB at least once local? What if we delete the .db files?
FireballFlame
I am against any possibility of disabling SB and skins.
From the perspective of a mapper for obvious reasons.
From the perspective of a player because I want everyone to see the same and have the same chances.
I've always already disliked the "no video" mod for this reason. Why do people have to have crappy computers :?
deadbeat

JesusYamato wrote:

Also is the fact that we watched the SB at least once local? What if we delete the .db files?
osz2, can't delete map files
Wishy

E-Hooker wrote:

have the replay go at 2x and get over the fact that it's 2~4 minutes of your life

IMO that is a very fair condition and one that I, as a person who generally gets distracted by SB's, am very happy with.

still sucks for the epileptic people, I guess they can just ignore their computer while auto plays through it then disable the SB.
Actual system is way better since I can choose to watch it or not, giving me the possibility to save time and don't have to suffer the stress from playing with very low FPS for then playing with good FPS (notebook talking). Hope we eventually get an option that allows us to do things like we do now, but with osz2. Plus if this gets implemented (I mean the new format) I hope BATs start seriously looking at skins/SBs and all that stuff mappers usually add just to be deleted since it makes the map unplayable for lots of players.
Bittersweet

Wishy22 wrote:

Actual system is way better since I can choose to watch it or not, giving me the possibility to save time and don't have to suffer the stress from playing with very low FPS for then playing with good FPS (notebook talking).
Ok, peppy will change his mind, put all his work about osz2 in trash and whole community will agree with you just to make you happy.

Hope we eventually get an option that allows us to do things like we do now, but with osz2. Plus if this gets implemented (I mean the new format)
It will.

I hope BATs start seriously looking at skins/SBs and all that stuff mappers usually add just to be deleted since it makes the map unplayable for lots of players. I only agree with this. Feels like BATs dont really care much about skin/sb mods except for max size allowed or missing files :/
Claudia_old
cry me a river wishy, I play on a netbook and I don't have problems loading SB's.

on the subject of mappers making skins/SB's, I absolutely love them, although some SB's distract me substantially.

then there are storybords like THIS ONE that make me want to throw bricks at whoever ranked it

anyways...
Wishy
Bittersweet, letting users decide whether to play with SB/BG/Skin or not has nothing to do with what's osz2 supposed to do, afaik it is meant to make the submission system work better or something like that, but a consecuence of using that system is that users no longer have access to modify some stuff on maps they download. Nobody is telling him to dump all his work, you're getting it wrong.

And E-Hooker, I almost never play on my notebook, so I don't care (barely play a 3 or 4 days on it), but some people actually play on notebooks like mine or worse everyday, and it's gonna be a pain for them to have to play the unplayable, which is my point basically.
Bittersweet
All that im getting is that you saying same thing over and over again. It won't change anything about this new system, which in my opinion is a great idea for make both sides happy. If you wanna be so selfish, its up to you, i dont care, im just tired of ready same thing in every of your posts, honestly. If you dont wanna waste 4/5 really important minutes of your life, don't play anymore. Noone is forcing you to.

About ppl who plays with bad conditions: atm I play in a shitty notebook which can barely reaches 200fps. Sb lags me? As hell. If i mind of play lagged once and then free of it? Nope at all.

tl;dr (even if its short): stop to cry.

And sorry about it to the other users ^^'
Topic Starter
peppy

FireballFlame wrote:

I am against any possibility of disabling SB and skins.
From the perspective of a mapper for obvious reasons.
From the perspective of a player because I want everyone to see the same and have the same chances.
I've always already disliked the "no video" mod for this reason. Why do people have to have crappy computers :?
Did you read the initial post? Are you against my compromised solution?

Wishy22 wrote:

everything
I wonder if I should implement a forum ignore feature..
Also, list the storyboards that do lag you, and your osu! settings. You are quite possibly doing-it-wrong, since SBs should NOT LAG 99.999999999999998% of PCs.
ziin

deadbeat wrote:

also can someone explain this Epileptic SB layer idea...i'm really stupid when it comes to...well everything :/
There are 4 layers currently:
Foreground - displays on top
Background - displays on bottom, otherwise identical to foreground
Pass - displays if you are currently "passing" the song with good health
Fail - displays if you are currently "failing" the song with bad health

The suggested new layers would be:
Epileptic - displays only if (presumably) a toggle is set in the options that you do NOT have epilepsy and can see flashes >3Hz without having a seizure.
Hard Rock - displays only if the player has the "Hard Rock" mod active, which mirrors the notes' locations, so you can add a storyboard which is contingent on being a certain distance away from one particular note which is not in the direct middle of the play area.
Zetta
Guys, peppy has gone from a flat out "No, fuck you" to a "OK, you can disable both the skin AND storyboard but with a tiny, minuscule catch which will literally only hinder your playing time by 2-3 minutes."

This is a GOOD thing, if he wanted to he could go back to the "no fuck you" mode.

Please stop arguing because it'll only make things worse. :/
deadbeat

ziin wrote:

deadbeat wrote:

There are 4 layers currently:
Foreground - displays on top
Background - displays on bottom, otherwise identical to foreground
Pass - displays if you are currently "passing" the song with good health
Fail - displays if you are currently "failing" the song with bad health

The suggested new layers would be:
Epileptic - displays only if (presumably) a toggle is set in the options that you do NOT have epilepsy and can see flashes >3Hz without having a seizure.
awesome. thx ziin

Zetta wrote:

Guys, peppy has gone from a flat out "No, fuck you" to a "OK, you can disable both the skin AND storyboard but with a tiny, minuscule catch which will literally only hinder your playing time by 2-3 minutes."

This is a GOOD thing, if he wanted to he could go back to the "no fuck you" mode.
kinda wish he would...so far all this has caused is us to yell at each other
EvianBubble
Option to disable storyboard and skins? Awesome :D
As a mapper who has made both skins and storyboards, I honestly don't give a crap about who deletes the SB / skin. If that's how they want to play it, fine. Personally, I think if the SB / skin is the only good part about the map, there is something wrong. Who am I to tell people what do do? Let them play the way they think it is most enjoyable
FireballFlame

peppy wrote:

FireballFlame wrote:

Did you read the initial post? Are you against my compromised solution?
I did. It's good as a compromise and I guess if storyboards really cause lag for so many people it can't be helped.
But, for me, lag is the only valid reason to do that, that's why I'm not happy with an option to disable skins being included as well.

There has even been a request for a background toggle as well in this thread. People would be using that and the skin toggle, like they are deleting the files atm, just to rid themselves of any "distractions" (= eye-candy) and use their own custom skins to make it easier to get high scores/records. I was hoping for osz2 to put an end to this tbh. Of course, I am free to do the same, but deciding not to do it automatically puts me at a disadvantage compared to the players who do. It means I have to decide between either playing to enjoy the atmosphere of a map (with eye-candy) or trying to get a good record (without, because it makes it easier and that's what the others will do).
That decision is what bothers me, because I'd have most fun being able do both.
Topic Starter
peppy
It's not a disadvantage; it's your choice to play in a way which suits you.

Skin toggle in my eyes is more important than storyboard from a playability perspective due to no standards on ranked maps' skins; basically anything goes currently. This does need to change in my eyes.
TKiller
This might sound wierd, but I personally think that background disabling option might be helpful too.

I had to delete them for quite a number of times and for different reasons, like too many white/very bright colors, combo colours blending with the background too much (this especially applies to hidden), or, err, general dislike of a background (after all, there are pictures which would irritate you when you're forced to look at them for 30 minutes or something), maybe a mix of those above.

In all the above cases black screen worked just great.

I believe same reasoning as with storyboard disabling might work here too, except backgrounds are mostly random pictures from internet and I think it wouldn't hurt the mapper as much as if I've had to delete the storyboard he took time and effort making.
Topic Starter
peppy
If I add a background disable function, it will also disable all hit objects, sounds, and osu! itself.
Wishy

peppy wrote:

I wonder if I should implement a forum ignore feature..
Also, list the storyboards that do lag you, and your osu! settings. You are quite possibly doing-it-wrong, since SBs should NOT LAG 99.999999999999998% of PCs.
You sure should, thought this forum already had one.

Pretty much every storyboard with constant flashes and somewhat good quality, options = everything disables + low end PC (which actually disables again most of the stuff). Sadly my notebook is into that 0.00000000000002%, and I'm damn sure I'm not the player with the worst notebook ever on this game. I'll eventually get a new laptop since I'm pretty much able to, but I'm sure some people can't just go and upgrade their PCs just for osu!.
Topic Starter
peppy
What resolution, what map (give at leat one sample?), what renderer, what graphics card/cpu, what kind of lag (low fps, stuttering etc.)?
Wishy
1280x800, http://osu.ppy.sh/s/20210 or http://osu.ppy.sh/s/23667 for example, about computer specs I got to find out, not sure about them, gonna add them later. Basically I got spikes when the SB goes "heavy", maybe with motion and constant flashes, in rare cases I get constant low FPS but normally I get some freezing every some seconds, which actually makes the game unplayable.

TKiller wrote:

I believe same reasoning as with storyboard disabling might work here too, except backgrounds are mostly random pictures from internet and I think it wouldn't hurt the mapper as much as if I've had to delete the storyboard he took time and effort making.
In fact, disabling SBs would be even more serious than disabling BGs because of what you said, a mapper makes an SB, most BGs are pics taken from http://www.somewallpapersite.com or Google.
TKiller

Wishy22 wrote:

In fact, disabling SBs would be even more serious than disabling BGs because of what you said, a mapper makes an SB, most BGs are pics taken from http://www.somewallpapersite.com or Google.
that's basically what I've said
Sakura

TKiller wrote:

I had to delete them for quite a number of times and for different reasons, like too many white/very bright colors, combo colours blending with the background too much (this especially applies to hidden).
This is unrankable in case you didnt know
Combo colors should NOT be blending with the background on any ranked map
mm201

Zetta wrote:

^ this.

Also I will be happy as long as this stuff isn't allowed to slip through:

TKiller wrote:

too many white/very bright colors, combo colours blending with the background too much (this especially applies to hidden)
ziin
I actually think the hitcircleoverlay is as important, if not more important than the hitcircle color.

It just so happens that most are white because people use the default. If you use a light background, I think it will be fine to use a light hitcircle color iif you use a dark hitcircleoverlay.

Wishy22 wrote:

about computer specs
use speccy
TKiller

Sakura Hana wrote:

TKiller wrote:

I had to delete them for quite a number of times and for different reasons, like too many white/very bright colors, combo colours blending with the background too much (this especially applies to hidden).
This is unrankable in case you didnt know
Combo colors should NOT be blending with the background on any ranked map
and it still happens :)

And it's also very personal, colour perception differs from person to person, so what is ok for mapper/approver can be hard to read for a different player.
anamorphism
so i guess i should weigh in even though i'm sure everything i'm about to say has been said before. the two main 'arguments' i see involve storyboarders wanting people to see their work and players that want to have the option to turn them off.

peppy has proposed a solution that forces each storyboard to be viewed once before giving players the option to turn them off.

storyboarders are being selfish for wanting to force people to view storyboards 100% of the time. players are being selfish for wanting to turn them off without giving them a shot.

having played some 500 or so beatmaps, i think there have only been 2 storyboards or so that i've wanted to disable. the majority of storyboards are very minimal, tastefully done and legitimately add some visual interest to the beatmap.

i can't speak for lag, but i can't imagine that 100% of the storyboards lag even the most severely underpowered systems. all games have minimum system requirements. if all storyboards lag your computer, consider your computer to be under those requirements. you should be thankful that you are maintaining the ability to play osu! on your system at the small expenditure of no fail/double timing each beatmap once. you may even discover certain storyboards that don't lag your system at all and that you actually like that you wouldn't have seen before.

if you're a storyboarder that is against this compromise, i can't see why. you're actually gaining one view of your storyboard over the current system. this compromise should just make it so you're spending more time on your storyboards to ensure they don't lag and don't hinder game-play at all. over time, this will make your storyboards better than they are currently, and you may gain more fans that have noticed that your storyboards are the only ones they don't disable because they are made so well.

---

as for me, i'm all about choice. peppy's compromise allows me to retain my privilege of choosing which storyboards i want to see when i'm feeling 'competitive'. he has every right to take that privilege away so i would suggest that everyone not overlook that fact. at the end of the day, this is his product, not ours. if we don't like it, the only thing we can rightfully do is to go make our own osu!, something i'm certain very few of us could actually pull off.
ShaggoN
I sereiously LOL'd for what this topic became. o_O
RandomJibberish
Just noting that I think this is a fair compromise.
Mara
I would have supported this, but after reading this thread... No.
Takuya
By the way, the smaller the osu window size, the less the lag.

(I have an horrible pc and using 800x600,45 fps to me)
Waryas
How can you play with 45fps, if i have less than 200 fps I can't play correctly at all. (Yes I can feel a difference between 120fps and unlimited, I run at 3000+ constantly)
Wishy
Is human eye even capable of noticing a difference within 120 constant FPS and 2000? xd

You just need not to have freezes, if you have constant 60 FPS it should be fine... at least I played tons of games with FPS limited to 60 or 120 and it was all good.
show more