forum

osu! Desktop Wallpaper Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
gokiburi

Nekoroll wrote:

I like your style. Any reason why the white border around the pink osu! circle is thick on the left and right edges and thin on the top though? Just a personal touch, I'm guessing?
When I vector things I tend to throw some stylistic "imbalance" in there.

A simple example:

Some elements from my custom skin:

Some people seem to really dislike it, but I prefer it most of the time.
Bittersweet

RBRat3 wrote:

What!!! osu! vector wallpaper... Dont mind if I do XD

I want it D:
Quaraezha

I need a tutorial for how to do this. lol
Having it evenly shrink inside and stuff.
Kitsunemimi
Oh come on Q, it's not that hard... :<
RBRat3

Bittersweet wrote:

RBRat3 wrote:

What!!! osu! vector wallpaper... Dont mind if I do XD

I want it D:
You dont want that on your wall, Might not come off or take the wall with it XD

Kitsunemimi wrote:

You have no clue how extremely hard that is to pull off :P
Quaraezha

RBRat3 wrote:

Kitsunemimi wrote:

You have no clue how extremely hard that is to pull off :P

You seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :V
But really, did you do that manually?
Or is there some trick to it?
gokiburi

Quaraezha wrote:

But really, did you do that manually? Or is there some trick to it?
You must be talking about aligning non perfect geometry to the center of one another.

Simple

Complex

Star

Annoying

There is no one trick for all shapes. Some shapes align just fine with a normal resize, sometimes just a dynamic offset will do. For the complex shape, I use dynamic offset and did some manual node changing, since its often the closest to what I want.

I just like diagrams, geometry and vectors though.

Bittersweet

RBRat3 wrote:

You dont want that on your wall, Might not come off or take the wall with it XD

I dont miiiind D: will take some more years before i quit osu! :D
RBRat3
BOOM!!!
gokiburi

RBRat3 wrote:

BOOM!!!
You make some great 3D renders, but the blurring in this one annoys my eyes. I wouldn't be able to use it as a wallpaper. A personal gripe I have about it is that the one is facing away!
RBRat3
Its a BG from an unfinished project/s, was large enough to crop out and use as a wallpaper so I tried it and thought it was ok :S
For the recored the breakage is the only thing thats 3d which was actually an after thought and as for the blurring it was a stupid way to get rid of the 1px sharp edge. Reason its upside down is because to the subject its right side up this might make more sense...

But theres always this :P
gokiburi

RBRat3 wrote:

Reason its upside down is because to the subject its right side up.
In context it does make more sense. Much nicer on the eyes without the blur explosion there. Could you not re-render it with more anti aliasing, or was that not the problem to begin with?
RBRat3

jamujamu wrote:

In context it does make more sense. Much nicer on the eyes without the blur explosion there. Could you not re-render it with more anti aliasing, or was that not the problem to begin with?
It is anti-aliased, The problem is that the hitcircle has softer edges (in and out) than the break causing some what of a really bad depth of field effect. I could probably get away with a light gauss blur to match it but the in-motion idea seemed better at the time and being an after thought the whole thing may or may not stay, or I may break down and redo it.
When hybridizing with 3d I found that its easier to render first then match your raster work to it instead of doing it ass backwards XD
Quaraezha

jamujamu wrote:

There is no one trick for all shapes. Some shapes align just fine with a normal resize, sometimes just a dynamic offset will do. For the complex shape, I use dynamic offset and did some manual node changing, since its often the closest to what I want.
How do I implement this "Dynamic Offset" ?
Also how to get that "Inset" thing.
and is there like, a trick for re-vectoring it manually? To perhaps make it even and shit. Especially with curves.

I'm more on basic Photo Manipulation and shit like that. So I never get to mess around with shapes and vectors that much.
gokiburi

Quaraezha wrote:

How do I implement this "Dynamic Offset" ?
Also how to get that "Inset" thing.
and is there like, a trick for re-vectoring it manually? To perhaps make it even and shit. Especially with curves.

I'm more on basic Photo Manipulation and shit like that. So I never get to mess around with shapes and vectors that much.
I use InkScape to do my vector work and it has the functions Dynamic Offset, Linked Offset, Inset and Outset in the Path dropdown.

Locked Ratio Resize
Offset

The main difference between offset and resize is how it calculates the new node handles. Here is a locked ratio resize, a resize + manual node edit and a manual edit in attempt to replicate an offset without changing the node count. The node handles are visualized in each case.

Resize
Resize + Manual (what I'd normally do for that "imbalance" effect)
Offset Replication Manual (the visible orange is the difference between the offset and the manual)

A resize doesn't properly adjust node handles for more complex shapes. As you can see, the distance between nodes in the first image is much greater than the last two. Taking this information into account, it should be pretty easy to make a nice outline for most easy things. Of course, you can always use a stroke as well.

When it comes down to vectoring anything manually (as opposed to simple shapes), I tend to be more reliant on using well placed nodes and bending the lines between them. It uses less nodes overall but can falter when you need additional accuracy on curves.

Programs do exist to "auto-vector" raster images though.

I feel like this is going off-topic though. If you have anymore questions feel free to send me a PM.
RBRat3
Programs do exist to "auto-vector" raster images though.
Only thing I can think of off hand is Adobe Illustrators live trace. Takes a bit of forethought to get a perfect trace the first time but not a big deal if its isn't, it's nothing you cant fix by hand.
Tesu
i wanted to change my desktop in my osu ! T_T but i dont know how ..
Quaraezha
Step 1
become an osu! supporter
xRayne
gokiburi

xRayne wrote:

Pink circles doesn't intrinsically relate to osu!, I'd think, but it's cute none-the-less.
Ruidoso

xRayne wrote:

I hope you know this is a thread about desktop wallpapers that are made for osu! I can't see a thing related to osu! in that photo.
mathexpert
lol two posts essentially saying the same thing
Heibel

mathexpert9981 wrote:

lol two posts essentially saying the same thing
It happens
Quaraezha
You're all still forgetting that this thread is intended for self-made osu!-related wallpapers
Not your desktops with whatever anime wallpaper you find.

We have a separate thread for that:
t/11146
cokeshawty
Wewt :o
aiNkyy
not rly a wallpaper

cokeshawty
Still nice though ^ ~
Elit3noob
My desktop wallpapers are of cars, osu!, abstract, and various games. 483 pics in total, shuffles every 1 hour
Meowcenaries
Post it please. :]
Sexy DQS
My Desktop Wallpaper isnt osu related xD
Quaraezha

Quaraezha wrote:

You're all still forgetting that this thread is intended for self-made osu!-related wallpapers
Not your desktops with whatever anime wallpaper you find.

We have a separate thread for that:
t/11146
RBRat3
Think these deserve to be in here, they are fan art but at 1920x1080 they belong here.

Edit: Might as well throw up the one thats on my netbook....
Sakura
Moved to Art forum
show more