forum

Osu std players: Why don't you play mania?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Deva

Arthraxium wrote:

Khelly help i keep clicking the wrong buttons on 7k
play 6k first
Topic Starter
Yuudachi-kun
Don't you mean 5k
Deva
5k for thumb
6k for ring fingers

But I assume he knows how to use his thumb if hes playing 7k already
Topic Starter
Yuudachi-kun
I won't ever play 7k but if I did it would be ASD JKL:

fuck thumb
Deva
Thumb is better because its stronger. But its your thing if you want to play with weakest finger.
Spirit_Dreamer
Recently started. 4k is love 4k is life xD
The Gambler
I play bass steel pans instead... Much more fun than mania, and also a better workout routine as well.
Topic Starter
Yuudachi-kun
Do you do that instead of osu standard too
mizuki-chan
osu std : awesome (tablet)
osu taiko : nice add on ( tatacon )
osu mania : never played and never will until i get some kind of pheriperal device for it except keyboard.
Sayorie
might as well play as much as I can before mania score v2 goes live on stable
Topic Starter
Yuudachi-kun
Who uses stable instead of fallback
Scarlet Evans
I think that it's best to play all game modes and that playing one of then can, more or less, help you to improve in some aspects that can be later used in other mods. Nevertheless, I didn't really had any big motivation to start really playing some other mods than standard, even if I wanted to.

However, after seeing this thread I started playing mania again and got more than 14k ranks only today! Thanks for kicking me back on my formerly put rails :P
TakuMii
I don't play mania because there are much better 4K/7K/8K games out there (not like I'm any good anyways, but yeah).
Topic Starter
Yuudachi-kun
Stepmania is a piece of shit gameclient (I don't even want to tolerate it) and now that I can convert maps from it to osu there is no reason to play it whatsoever. Seriously, it literally reeks of singleplayer-only archaism from 10 or more years ago.

At least for 4k.
Scarlet Evans

YayMii wrote:

I don't play mania because there are much better 4K/7K/8K games out there (not like I'm any good anyways, but yeah).
But do you actually play them? Because it sounds like the sole fact of their existence prevents you from playing osu!mania :cry:
TakuMii
Honestly, it's more of the mapping style that's driving me away from o!mania. Many of the 7K players here came from places like o2jam, so a large portion of the ranked maps (last I checked) get a fair bit of their difficulty from noodles hold note patterns and the like. I personally prefer stuff like Beatmania IIDX (or BMS by extension), where long notes didn't even exist for 10 years, and even now, are still used fairly sparsely.

There are issues with the o!mania engine itself too (it was a huge mess when it was first implemented, and it didn't help that the original developer all but abandoned it), but from what I can tell from the game's changelog, they're making progress on fixing that. I do like the Stepmania engine as far stuff like scoring and customization goes, but I will agree with you that its datedness is really holding it back.
Topic Starter
Yuudachi-kun
I play mostly unranked maps and stepmania converts - tanked osu mania 4k maps are mostly hit or miss but I son't see their mapping style as being an issue that should hold you back from playing the mode. They're only a tiny set of maps. Osu mania to me isn't anything about a mapping style or how things are ranked/scored for pp and shit. It's a better platform to just play a vsrg to me.

I can't speak for unranked 7k maps though
TakuMii
I think it'd be more of a problem in 7K, simply due to the how the playerbase is divided. There is a distinct difference in gameplay between the various 7K games due to the mapping style alone, and this makes many of the maps within osu!mania very unintuitive to play for people using BMS controllers or simply aren't used to o2jam's style. Also, I (as well as some Stepmania players I've spoken to) think that the release mechanic at the end of long notes is kinda silly, and it really doesn't help when a lot of mappers place long notes everywhere. Another thing to mention is that osu!mania lacks the note colours that Stepmania (as well as many other 4K games) have, which definitely helps when playing the type of congested patterns that are more common with the lower keycount.

Even without the issues though, it's far more convenient for me to just grab some BMS or SM simpacks and have them segregated from my already-massive osu! beatmap library. And it doesn't really make sense to me to have to hunt down good unranked maps or use converts when I'm perfectly fine using the sim games that they were originally intended for.
The Gambler

Khelly wrote:

Do you do that instead of osu standard too
Yep, my arms, wrist and hips have never felt more violated in my life. But hey, that's what playing in a steel band does to you.
Topic Starter
Yuudachi-kun
Why does a map have to be "originally intended" for some other game just necause it was made there? To me they're all equally able to be shares and played between the games because it's not like the literal core of the game is different. Only the nitpicky extras are. And when it comes to maps WITHOUT any LN, I don't see how you can say any map is intended for x or y. I don't know what you mean by release mechanic for LN though; they're ln so duh you have to release them? It's not even a problem existing in maps unless you specifically only look at ranked maps because they seem to love LN.

"Massive osu library" also doesn't make sense to me; why is typing keys=4 or 7 an issue?
Sayorie
No point in playing other games if you're just playing on your keyboard. Play those other games if you really want to play them with their controller, like LR2 and SDVX.
Leukos
Basically a common std player, like 3* clears, but i really enjoy mania, especially 4k.

I've only been playing it for less than a week but it's like i'm already better in mania than in std :)
Topic Starter
Yuudachi-kun
One of the reasons I became more accustomed to mania over standard in the first place was the fact that misses and fcs don't matter - only your accuracy does. In standard if you're trying to go for a high score or pp then misses are extremely frustrating but in mania it's completely chill if you miss. No one cares as long as your acc is still good. I hardly EVER retry in mania as a result of that. It's still frustrating if you fuck up your accuracy, but that's much much less of an issue.

I look at std now and std players and still wonder how they tolerate that.

I still agree with having to fc in standard for ranking though, but it's not for me anymore.
Sayorie
Being someone who came from mania and went to standard, I could say that standard can be pretty frustrating most of the time compared to mania.
Endaris

Khelly wrote:

I don't, I have my cool acc-bracket system and don't give a shit in most cases.
And I like trashtalking players with bad acc because acc is what matters in the end xdd
Deva

Endaris wrote:

And I like trashtalking players with bad acc because acc is what matters in the end xdd
Cant defeat Endaris! HolyShit its acc!
Barusamikosu

Khelly wrote:

I don't, I focus on everything that isn't aim and try to become a lesser version of Momi xd
TakuMii

Khelly wrote:

Why does a map have to be "originally intended" for some other game just because it was made there?
My point was that there are already plenty of simfile packs available for those other games, and using all of them with osu!mania would require conversion on my part, which is an unnecessary step considering that I have nothing against just using those other games in the first place. I know that there are packs readily available for o!m, but considering that the other games have been out for far longer, there is just no comparison.

Khelly wrote:

And when it comes to maps WITHOUT any LN, I don't see how you can say any map is intended for x or y.
If they don't have any LN, the map is most likely BMS-styled. If you look at any difficult o2jam chart, you'll immediately tell that the o2jam community loves noodles.

Regardless, it's pretty obvious to tell the difference just by how the notes are laid out. o2jam is meant to be played on a keyboard (where the buttons are symmetrical and your fingers are on the buttons at all times), while IIDX is meant to be played on a controller (where the buttons are staggered, not to mention that IIDX is meant to be played as 7+1K rather than 7K or 8K, meaning that skill also involves learning proper hand techniques). IIDX is also notorious for having incredibly tight timing windows, so many of the charts on that side of the fence are more designed around complexity than towards speed. Meanwhile, o2jam has much wider timing windows, so you're more likely to see scales and the like in that game (and BMS by some extension) compared to IIDX.

I'm not saying that either game has one style exclusively, nor am I saying that there aren't keyboard players on BMS (or vice versa), but the mapping styles are prominent enough to divide the community. o!m is more of a mishmash of both communities (which would explain the difference between ranked and unranked), but my point still stands.

Khelly wrote:

I don't know what you mean by release mechanic for LN though; they're ln so duh you have to release them? It's not even a problem existing in maps unless you specifically only look at ranked maps because they seem to love LN.
I'm referring to the fact that there is a timing window for releasing notes, whereas that's not even a thing in many other games (let alone osu!standard). IIDX does have that mechanic, but as I've mentioned before, long notes are used sparingly there so it's not much of a problem.
And the state of o2jam-styled ranked maps just shows how prominent the o2jam community is here. Sure there are plenty of unranked BMS-styled maps, but the approval/ranking system is there for a reason (and like it or not, serves a significant role in the community). Ranked BMS-style maps are in the minority, and because of this, most players are forced to either get used to o2jam or stick to playing unranked maps.

Khelly wrote:

"Massive osu library" also doesn't make sense to me; why is typing keys=4 or 7 an issue?
It was more of a problem when o!m first came out, but that was enough to stop me from trying the same thing again. osu! used to like rebuilding the beatmap database every single time you coldbooted the game, and with my 31k beatmap library back then, that'd mean 5-7 minutes of waiting for my beatmap list to appear every time I restarted my computer. I've had to keep a separate library for my o!m beatmaps, and even then it'd take a couple of minutes to wait for that beatmap database to rebuild.
Nowadays, my beatmap library is approaching 50k now, and while the rebuilding every coldboot isn't really a problem any more, I'd rather just keep the two games separated. I rearrange my desk depending on the game I'm playing anyways (I'm left-handed but use the mouse on the right), so having my maps for different games all in one place makes absolutely zero difference for me.

As an aside:

Khelly wrote:

Honestly, I despise the o!standard scoring system. But I don't see it changing any time soon, considering that people have gone apeshit whenever peppy has tried anything scorev2 related. But I still play because I'm a masochist I still enjoy the gameplay and still feel like I'm improving at the game.
The Gambler

Endaris wrote:

because it's nonsense to play a piano-imitating rhythmgame when i could play piano instead
so
88k khelly
Ironically I have a piano sitting at home. Weighted keys even...
mizuki-chan
i tried playing mania few days ago, but it doesnt "feels" right for me ...