forum

Osu std players: Why don't you play mania?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Deva

Khelly wrote:

O2jam has some nice bars mate why don't you like
Do I really need a particular reason to dislike something?

@Video
I wonder how many times he did that to get that acc.

Also as Khelly already said that map looks like it was made for the purpose of this video. You cant do that on real maps.
N0thingSpecial
the skype sound is pure icing on the jizz
SkullFull
Because I can only pass 1 star maps with NF and TEN. PERCENT. ACCURACY.
LoliPantsu
cuz u dont need aim. i'd rather play cod
Sayorie
learning 7k is hell after playing only 4k for so long
and my MX blues are waking up my neighbors
Deva

Arthraxium wrote:

learning 7k is hell after playing only 4k for so long
and my MX blues are waking up my neighbors
Thats why you play all of them. By playing 7k you get better at 4k too but vice versa not so much.

OT: Can play 1.5* now somewhat properly gonna play some more and see what happens. Lack of maps at my level is seriously annoying, gotta get good fast.
Sayorie
I agree. Learning 7k makes it easier to play modes with less keys, rather than the other way around. Only got to around 4th dan, then my speed and reading deteriorated to the point where I can't play 3* maps anymore.
Topic Starter
Yuudachi-kun
You don't have to play a keymode if you don't want to
Sayorie

Khelly wrote:

You don't have to play a keymode if you don't want to
but muh pp from 7k :(
Topic Starter
Yuudachi-kun
But that's just pp

Who cares when most of the good maps are unranked SM packs
Deva
Seriously fuck pp and your need yo grow your ego with it.

Even on std I mostly play unranked maps.
Sayorie
There are a lot of good ranked songs only on 7k though. 7k seems to be the more popular o!m mode. I've always wanted to play that 8K Akasha map but I already went too far on 4k which makes learning 7k and 8k an extremely steep slope for me.

Gotta learn finger-independence all over again X_X
KanoSet

-Toushin wrote:

Eyes cant keep up
ithgyu
1) i enjoy std more
2) I have goals that i want to achieve in standard
3) For me that mania does for my enjoyment than std doesnt do.
4) i suck at mania
Topic Starter
Yuudachi-kun

HK_ wrote:

Seriously fuck pp and your need yo grow your ego with it.

Even on std I mostly play unranked maps.

My total time playing mania should be 2-3 times longer than it appears on my profile because of unranked

Good shit there
Emilie-
My left hand is a floppy fish
Kunino Sagiri
lack of interest
lack of time to grind
Snow901
I finally decided to try my hand at creating my own beatmap and learned in the process that once you make an osu! standard map, all the other modes can be played on the same map. So I decided to try out every mode - for like the 3rd time - to see if I had changed my interest on liking anything besides standard. I liked playing ctb, but didn't enjoy neither taiko nor mania mostly because I suck at them. Overall, I just like standard more because of the creative potential available to mappers; this map comes to mind as an example https://osu.ppy.sh/b/698251&m=0
Meah
I tried playing it, i miserably failed.
Topic Starter
Yuudachi-kun

Meah wrote:

I tried playing it, i miserably failed.
Sorry you tried a 3 star 7k map as your first map one time and then decided that was enough.
Sayorie
Khelly help i keep clicking the wrong buttons on 7k
Ventus51701
i use a tablet, no can play mania
Deva

Arthraxium wrote:

Khelly help i keep clicking the wrong buttons on 7k
play 6k first
Topic Starter
Yuudachi-kun
Don't you mean 5k
Deva
5k for thumb
6k for ring fingers

But I assume he knows how to use his thumb if hes playing 7k already
Topic Starter
Yuudachi-kun
I won't ever play 7k but if I did it would be ASD JKL:

fuck thumb
Deva
Thumb is better because its stronger. But its your thing if you want to play with weakest finger.
Spirit_Dreamer
Recently started. 4k is love 4k is life xD
The Gambler
I play bass steel pans instead... Much more fun than mania, and also a better workout routine as well.
Topic Starter
Yuudachi-kun
Do you do that instead of osu standard too
mizuki-chan
osu std : awesome (tablet)
osu taiko : nice add on ( tatacon )
osu mania : never played and never will until i get some kind of pheriperal device for it except keyboard.
Sayorie
might as well play as much as I can before mania score v2 goes live on stable
Topic Starter
Yuudachi-kun
Who uses stable instead of fallback
Scarlet Evans
I think that it's best to play all game modes and that playing one of then can, more or less, help you to improve in some aspects that can be later used in other mods. Nevertheless, I didn't really had any big motivation to start really playing some other mods than standard, even if I wanted to.

However, after seeing this thread I started playing mania again and got more than 14k ranks only today! Thanks for kicking me back on my formerly put rails :P
TakuMii
I don't play mania because there are much better 4K/7K/8K games out there (not like I'm any good anyways, but yeah).
Topic Starter
Yuudachi-kun
Stepmania is a piece of shit gameclient (I don't even want to tolerate it) and now that I can convert maps from it to osu there is no reason to play it whatsoever. Seriously, it literally reeks of singleplayer-only archaism from 10 or more years ago.

At least for 4k.
Scarlet Evans

YayMii wrote:

I don't play mania because there are much better 4K/7K/8K games out there (not like I'm any good anyways, but yeah).
But do you actually play them? Because it sounds like the sole fact of their existence prevents you from playing osu!mania :cry:
TakuMii
Honestly, it's more of the mapping style that's driving me away from o!mania. Many of the 7K players here came from places like o2jam, so a large portion of the ranked maps (last I checked) get a fair bit of their difficulty from noodles hold note patterns and the like. I personally prefer stuff like Beatmania IIDX (or BMS by extension), where long notes didn't even exist for 10 years, and even now, are still used fairly sparsely.

There are issues with the o!mania engine itself too (it was a huge mess when it was first implemented, and it didn't help that the original developer all but abandoned it), but from what I can tell from the game's changelog, they're making progress on fixing that. I do like the Stepmania engine as far stuff like scoring and customization goes, but I will agree with you that its datedness is really holding it back.
Topic Starter
Yuudachi-kun
I play mostly unranked maps and stepmania converts - tanked osu mania 4k maps are mostly hit or miss but I son't see their mapping style as being an issue that should hold you back from playing the mode. They're only a tiny set of maps. Osu mania to me isn't anything about a mapping style or how things are ranked/scored for pp and shit. It's a better platform to just play a vsrg to me.

I can't speak for unranked 7k maps though
TakuMii
I think it'd be more of a problem in 7K, simply due to the how the playerbase is divided. There is a distinct difference in gameplay between the various 7K games due to the mapping style alone, and this makes many of the maps within osu!mania very unintuitive to play for people using BMS controllers or simply aren't used to o2jam's style. Also, I (as well as some Stepmania players I've spoken to) think that the release mechanic at the end of long notes is kinda silly, and it really doesn't help when a lot of mappers place long notes everywhere. Another thing to mention is that osu!mania lacks the note colours that Stepmania (as well as many other 4K games) have, which definitely helps when playing the type of congested patterns that are more common with the lower keycount.

Even without the issues though, it's far more convenient for me to just grab some BMS or SM simpacks and have them segregated from my already-massive osu! beatmap library. And it doesn't really make sense to me to have to hunt down good unranked maps or use converts when I'm perfectly fine using the sim games that they were originally intended for.
show more