forum

ranks without pp

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
mulraf
hey,

quick question. i wanted to try ht pp farming for fun (obviously it didn't quite work that well lol. but i can see it working out somehow. nvm that's not what i came here for). anyways: i picked some really hard maps and played them with ht. i got very, very bad accuarcy (like 80% most of the time). i havn't got a single new score in my best plays. yet each time i finished a song i got some ranks (usually +1 / +2). and no, those are not bonus pp - i already have like 40k plays, you don't get that much bonus pp that late anymore.

one example of a map: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/336414 + ht
got: 175x combo, 47 misses and 80,56% acc, map rank #2279. yet i got +1 rank.

can anyone explain pl0x :?
Quinten
Maybe someone with more pp than you got a shitty fc with lower accuracy than his previous one and his pp dropped because of that.
He dropped like 1 pp under you and you gained one rank as a result?

I mean, playing Tengaku with half time makes it like a 10 minute map or something.
Could be possible for some people to do that in that timespan.
I guess
Endaris
DT and HT have some wicked accuracy shifts.
So.
The hitareas are shifted. On HT you're more likely to hit early.
Also there is a flat pp-amount you gain from just achieving scores on more ranked sets. It goes up to 416pp if i remember correctly so there's quite some to gain if you have a low amount of ranked maps played.
So uh
Just read the pp-wiki-page?
chainpullz

Endaris wrote:

DT and HT have some wicked accuracy shifts.
So.
The hitareas are shifted. On HT you're more likely to hit early.
Also there is a flat pp-amount you gain from just achieving scores on more ranked sets. It goes up to 416pp if i remember correctly so there's quite some to gain if you have a low amount of ranked maps played.
So uh
Just read the pp-wiki-page?
If he can't even read ar9 how do you expect him to be able to read a sub ar0 wikipage?
Endaris
If I believe enough it will become true even if I have to lie to myself about what the truth is
Topic Starter
mulraf

Quinten wrote:

Maybe someone with more pp than you got a shitty fc with lower accuracy than his previous one and his pp dropped because of that.
He dropped like 1 pp under you and you gained one rank as a result?
alright. sounds pretty reasonable
i guess
or maybe not since i gained 1-2 ranks every. single. play. (about 20 times) and i'm <#20k, that doesn't really happen there usually, it's usually the other way around and you lose pp after most plays instead.

Endaris wrote:

MEEEEE! wrote:

and no, those are not bonus pp - i already have like 40k plays, you don't get that much bonus pp that late anymore.
chainpullz
I still get ranks from bonus pp.
Deva
You get ranks when you pass people with less total score than you and same pp.
StephOsu

mulraf wrote:

and no, those are not bonus pp - i already have like 40k plays, you don't get that much bonus pp that late anymore.
you need to do read the wiki again because that 416pp don't come from playcounts
it comes from score submission instead
try again after you are done with there
Topic Starter
mulraf
it really isn't bonus pp's. i'm 100% sure and i can also argue why.

first of all to sum up the wiki: here's a table: http://w.ppy.sh/f/f7/Osubonuspp.png
and here's the formula: 416.6667 (1- 0.9994^Number_of_scores)
so number of scores. yeah, it's true that playcount is not the same as number of scores. because you usually play maps more than once. so i'd say i have probably around 15k scores. but let's just assume i have like 5k which is a really, really low assumption.

416.6667 (1-0.9994^5000) = 395.941
416.6667 (1-0.9994^5001) = 395.953

one score = 0.012 pp more
so it's true that it's reasonable to gain a few ranks when i play a map from time to time.
but not for every. single. map.

and secondly: why do i only get +ranks when i play those hard maps with ht and not when i just download a random new map and get a score there?

alright. that sounds reasonable. guess that might be more likely the case but still a bit weird since for some of the maps i only got less than 600k score and with 11.000.000.000 ranked score it shouldn't happen that often to pass others around my skill level :/
Deva
You have 11B and I have 2B. There are a lot of people like me who play a lot of unranked maps or just play offline and log in to get pp. Its as simple as that.
StephOsu

mulraf wrote:

it really isn't bonus pp's. i'm 100% sure and i can also argue why.

first of all to sum up the wiki: here's a table: http://w.ppy.sh/f/f7/Osubonuspp.png
and here's the formula: 416.6667 (1- 0.9994^Number_of_scores)
so number of scores. yeah, it's true that playcount is not the same as number of scores. because you usually play maps more than once. so i'd say i have probably around 15k scores. but let's just assume i have like 5k which is a really, really low assumption.

416.6667 (1-0.9994^5000) = 395.941
416.6667 (1-0.9994^5001) = 395.953

one score = 0.012 pp more
so it's true that it's reasonable to gain a few ranks when i play a map from time to time.
but not for every. single. map.

and secondly: why do i only get +ranks when i play those hard maps with ht and not when i just download a random new map and get a score there?

alright. that sounds reasonable. guess that might be more likely the case but still a bit weird since for some of the maps i only got less than 600k score and with 11.000.000.000 ranked score it shouldn't happen that often to pass others around my skill level :/
are you sure you have 5k submitted scores in the first place?
you only have slightly more than 2k of scores submitted as SS/S/A. I find it hard to believe that you have another close to 3k worth of scores submitted below rank A since it's actually fairly easy to get higher than rank A as long as you aren't mashing
as you see from the graph, you simply need 2434-2270=164 submitted scores to get 10pp around that play count
Along with the fact that ranks were counted in pp in decimals and you are only 3.4k pp, it's fair to have every score you submit to get you rank as long as no one around you is gaining/losing pp at that moment
to put it into perspective, you have 3443 pp right now and I have 3563pp right now
we only have 120pp different yet we have almost 2k in rank difference
that explains how competitive in terms of pp it was within our rank range
Topic Starter
mulraf

StephOsu wrote:

you only have slightly more than 2k of scores submitted as SS/S/A. I find it hard to believe that you have another close to 3k worth of scores submitted below rank A since it's actually fairly easy to get higher than rank A as long as you aren't mashing
as you see from the graph, you simply need 2434-2270=164 submitted scores to get 10pp around that play count
Along with the fact that ranks were counted in pp in decimals and you are only 3.4k pp, it's fair to have every score you submit to get you rank as long as no one around you is gaining/losing pp at that moment
to put it into perspective, you have 3443 pp right now and I have 3563pp right now
guess i partly have to admit defeat here. didn't think i have that few plays. counted them by rank achieved - 2682 ranks.
120 pp = 2.000
1pp = 16,67
probably a little more lower in that range so i guess about 30 people with the same pp sounds reasonable.
counted it through - 15 maps i played yesterday. for each one +1 or +2 ranks so all in all about +20 ranks
so 416.6667 (1-0.9994^2682) = 333.35
416.6667 (1-0.9994^2683) = 333.40
so 0.05 pp.
1/30 = 0.033 pp; 0.05 > 0.033
hm.... a bit sad to admit it after writing "100% sure" but i guess that's an explanation.
doesn't completely answer why i usually don't get +ranks while playing other new maps but i guess that could be due to coincidence or something.
sorry to all the peeps i didn't really trust but you gotta admit that with such a high playcount you wouldn't think that you still get that many bonus pp :x
StephOsu

mulraf wrote:

StephOsu wrote:

guess i partly have to admit defeat here. didn't think i have that few plays. counted them by rank achieved - 2682 ranks.
120 pp = 2.000
1pp = 16,67
probably a little more lower in that range so i guess about 30 people with the same pp sounds reasonable.
counted it through - 15 maps i played yesterday. for each one +1 or +2 ranks so all in all about +20 ranks
so 416.6667 (1-0.9994^2682) = 333.35
416.6667 (1-0.9994^2683) = 333.40
so 0.05 pp.
1/30 = 0.033 pp; 0.05 > 0.033
hm.... a bit sad to admit it after writing "100% sure" but i guess that's an explanation.
doesn't completely answer why i usually don't get +ranks while playing other new maps but i guess that could be due to coincidence or something.
sorry to all the peeps i didn't really trust but you gotta admit that with such a high playcount you wouldn't think that you still get that many bonus pp :x
The only explanation for the reason you don't always get +rank but sometimes -rank or didn't change at all was thanks to the active community that's playing while you are
Or you are playing unranked maps