forum

Poll 35: What do you look for in a song to play/map?

posted
Total Posts

What do you look for in a song to map/play?

I look for fast songs (200bpm+)
14.23%
I look for songs with varying or interesting rhythm (Breakcore, hi-tech)
39.72%
I look for consistent songs (Hardstyle, quaver, etc.)
20.55%
I look for songs with good vocals (Yurica is my wife)
25.49%
Total votes: 1012
Topic Starter
Nyquill
osu! is a game about clicking circles to the music, but what kind of music is most suitable for circle clicking? Some may say that they live purely for the thrill of the speed with songs like Freedom Dive, while others say they enjoy the rhythmic expression of breakcore. Others may say they prefer more relaxed, consistent songs, while there may be those who prefer songs that make your whole body burn from the intensity of the vocalist.

While these concepts may seem rather abstract over what most people consider "mappable", we want to know what you enjoy the most personally out of your favorite beatmaps.

So how about it? What is most important to you when selecting a song to map or play (besides ranking up!)? Let us know in the comments, and select from the options whichever you think applies (you can select multiple options)!

I might add some options retrospectively in the first few hours, so if your vote accidentally gets wiped, please check back tommorow!

Also, we're going to take these results into account for how we handle original music for osu, don't tell anyone shhhhhhhhh
xxdeathx
i love anime
Mafumafu
I'd prefer songs with various rhythms, so there could be various patterns, which give fun and creativity to mapping.
VINXIS
200 bpm songs Cx
Outline
Mostly anything above 200BPM is good. Image Material is very good with it's guitar and so is DragonForce. Basically anything fast with an electric guitar is good. Also fast paced classical is pretty good. Basically anything fast.
MillhioreF
For mapping I like varied rhythms so I don't fall asleep trying to make an interesting map.

For playing I really just enjoy stuff that sounds nice, though. Atmospheric stuff usually gets me personally.

I voted D'n'B because it can fall into both of those categories at once.
Sonnyc
I normally prefer songs with consistent structures. Sweet vocals are also cool.
Maybe that's why I prefer pops or anime musics haha.
Song with bunch of rhythms is still a little difficult for me :(
Railey2
Definitely varied rhythm. Varied rhythm means potential for an interesting map, which means more fun for me!

The more complex the song is, the better. Camellia is great for this very reason, because he always manages to get 5 more instruments in than anyone else. Great stuff.

Saying that I like good vocals is kinda obvious, just like saying that I'd like the song to be good.
wobbol
I like it when maps have both the vocals and the main rhythm mapped. Meiko - Leave The Lights On (KROT Remix) [Insane]

I have the most fun with a map when, the strongest beat is mapped regardless of the instrument that made the beat.
Kimitakari
I don't really know the answer honestly. Mostly i'm looking for the songs witch it's so awesome to map by my skill. Right now i'm forsing to rank sakuzyo - Refel. I really like sakuzyo traks especially some of his famous tracks (AXION, Storia feat. xi etc). I'm also looking for fast songs witch makes a challenge among players example L.E.D.-G - BITTER CHOCOLATE STRIKER or t+pazolite - Call me it. (500 Tortures). In other words, I make challenging maps. Thats all!
Endaris
Syncopated stuff tends to be cool.
Bara-
Short songs

erm, I like interesting rhytms the most (which can give some gimmicky maps), same as really intense long songs (which I then map as 2* maps...)
Stefan
I look for songs with varying or interesting rhythm (Breakcore, hi-tech)
Because they're on both sides, mapping and playing-wise very interesting in a rhythm game - also offers a brighter field of difficulty.

I look for consistent songs (Hardstyle, quaver, etc.)
In case I want to relax a bit it's more comfortable to play these songs.

50 bucks that will be the option with the most votes within the next seven days.
StephOsu
where's the "I look for weeb songs" and "I look for pp maps" option not that I look for pp maps
OSU NEEDS MORE GOOD UTAITES
Haruto
of course i would choose songs with interesting rhythm and songs with good vocals (yeah we need more utaites map xd)

songs with interesting rhythm may give a nice variety when mapping. could give more flow to the mapper and to the players when playing it.
while songs with good vocal would give us eargasm from the vocalist's voice xD. this type of song could give the mapper to do more variety too on their maps!
Seijiro
let's clarify my choice: I generally take whatever song I find particularly dear to me, either because I like a part on it or because it gives me a certain vibe. That emotion is the basic ingredient for the map I will gonna make later, so I can't map well unless I have any feelings towards the song.

In most cases, good lyrics and different rhythms together make up for that, but I encountered quite a few songs that were literally the same thing over and over yet the map came out well anyway since I liked that repeated part. (BPM in the end doesn't matter)
Battle
interesting rhythm is always nice since it allows you to be more creative lo
Xyrus_old_1
Interesting rhythms, they're fun to listen to and to play to. High speed is also fun. :)
-Kanzaki
The songs that are taken from another rhythm games(beatmania, IIDX, ...) does fits the best since those songs has been made for the game.
Rizumu Tenshi
I'd say I'd pick up songs with interesting rhythm.

For the second choice, I scrapped it because there are songs with good/cute vocals but looow BPM (not mapped but Susume*Otome ~jewel parade~ - BPM 130), and songs with bad vocals but hiiigh BPM (Everything will freeze - BPM 240 - linked is the instrumental version, mapped by Ekoro), and I don't take into consideration what you call "my waifu", and I can't select one of the two, the first vote used.

Looking forward to more BMS. ...and some stuff with Gamegame ;) (Groundbreaking track. Safe to mention and everything - way interesting it may feed some mappers and players' hunger for awesome works!)

EDIT: White star replaced with an asterisk just in case
Cubzy
even though look up to everything on the pool, I can only choose 2 :C
Alarido
I don't look for songs to map.

The songs come to me themselves while I found myself involved in a sort of daydream within some "parallel world" my mind (not me) creates from the scratch of everything and nothing inside and outside me. If a song holds me tight (lile a lustful loli obsessed on me), probably I'll map it.
Rurree
I'd like to map a lot of hip-hop and rap. I don't have the time to actually do it though.
Monstrata
Quaver yes!
Underforest
I selected options 2 and 4
Luqanted
i look for pp nowadays
Moonlit
anything with lots of drums and dense rhythms basically, 170bpm +
KodaKuna
You just gotta go fast. Come on, step it up!
Regin Pokelution
for a fast song i just prefer an instrumental song some kind sound voltex with a bit electronical there
also my favourite genre is hardcore and tencho *p
pkhg

MrSergio wrote:

let's clarify my choice: I generally take whatever song I find particularly dear to me, either because I like a part on it or because it gives me a certain vibe. That emotion is the basic ingredient for the map I will gonna make later, so I can't map well unless I have any feelings towards the song.

pretty much this
basically anything that sounds good for my ears
idk what what to vote so xd
Drowned Crow
Good voice = Good Map ^.^ the thing is i almost like evrybeatmap when the voice of the actor is nice.(A lot of ppl ask me why i like "crap" maps) cuz of the voice/song :) i dont realy care about map style when the musik is good
Natsu
Good female vocals and high bpm
Halfslashed
Complex rhythms with some degree of consistency. Fun to play, and a good challenge.

Also, high bpm maps (260+) provide an interesting style at the 5* level that's also enjoyable.
Grim Rapper
I prioritize varying rhythm song, like inconsistent BPM (like Mirage Garden, Lindwurm) when searching a song to play

Fast song is nice unless its just flat fast (without any variety like "drop" or solo)

And consistent song is kinda make me mad (a little) because it's always have heavy jumps when mapped

And good vocals can be an alternative as long it's not make me feel asleep when playing
Arcubin
it's once again differ per person. because music taste is always different.

personally i like music with interesting drop and variates. DnB is excluded they have different technique to make them awesome.
i also love DnB with vocal, like tidal wave or starscrapper. bemani song most of the time has same feel as DnB, but with different flow.

for mapping purpose, anything has different mapping style, and this make the variation between mapper.
the most standard song to map is around 140~180 BPM anime style song like yasashisa no riyuu and the other.
DnB most of the time is too repetitive, this force the mapper to be creative to make something interesting.
SpeedCore isn't always necessary to be mapped, as the purpose of the song is to strain the listener spirit to the max.

there's also some unique music type like glitch, kawaii core, etc. but for general mapping information, those 3 is already fulfill the criteria
AirOneBlack
Absolutely fast and interesting rhytms, as a mania player, a repetitive song is just a consistency test.
Yuudachi-kun
Challenging patterns that make me improve

The song is irrelevant, though a good one is a nice bonus.
AbsurdDive

Khelly wrote:

Challenging patterns that make me improve

The song is irrelevant, though a good one is a nice bonus.

Ditto, plus I love when there are SVs or BPM Stops (or however they're called in here) on O!mania

On STD... if the pattern is hard, I'll probably try it ! haha
JellyAddiction
Song with animu girls making/saying cute things/noises like this: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/216008

I blame osu! for making me this way
I need help
show more