forum

Why are most of the top Osumania players korean?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Futon
I understand why most of the taiko players are Japanese since taiko has been a popular game before osu. But is there a reason why Osu!mania is largely filled with Koreans?

I apologize in advance for potentially stupid question.
Deva
Koreans are just Koreans. Don't question it.
EtienneXC
It's a reasonable question, it's the answer that I have to give that will sound fucking stupid, that's all.

In mania, the pp system is relatively 7k biased, so all of the koreans who have played 7k for years dominate the leaderboards because obviously if you can play 7k, you can play 4k. This results in tons of Koreans dominating the leaderboards.

If the system had different divisions for keys, well... let's just say other people would dominate.
Yuudachi-kun
Because o2jam

E: What he means by biased towards 7k is that mania pp is only star rating multiplied by accuracy with no regard for anything else really. Star rating is only note density of a map so just spam some fast 12 34 patterns on a 4k map and you can make high 3 star maps into 4.5*.

7k has more keys = more notes = more stars. 4k only has aiae shd and blastix riots as 6.00*+ ranked maps afaik. Just two.
Topic Starter
Futon
Hmm that makes sense. So I guess most Koreans just happens to play a lot of 7K? More so than other countries?
Endaris
Rhythm-Gaming in VSRG style is also just more of a thing in asia. Like all that iidx-stuff and those other mania-type games have arcade stuff standing around while the rest of the world doesnt. The popularity is just way higher.
Based on rankings I would assume that Japan has a lot of TnT-arcades and korea the other stuff.
E m i
seems to apply to most games - to varying degrees