forum

HR Reading

posted
Total Posts

What makes your brain play a triple or a stream on hard rock?

Visual appearance
47.12%
Anticipation based on the music
33.65%
I don't play HR
19.23%
Total votes: 104
Topic Starter
Endaris
Or differently asked: How do you read 1/4 with HR?

When trying to play HR I often notice (specifically on popsongs) that I am anticipating triples and streams based on the musical progression and structure of the song. I'm basically expecting a triple before I can visually confirm that there will be a triple. When I don't anticipate 1/4 patterns like that I'm often too late because my brain is too slow in processing the visual information and making me tap a clean triple on time.
Barusamikosu
When I play I anticipate based on the music.

If something unexpected happens it's all over

This applies on a smaller scale to AR8+DT too because I'm not totally comfortable with reading 9.6 yet.
Purple

Endaris wrote:

When I don't anticipate 1/4 patterns like that I'm often too late because my brain is too slow in processing the visual information and making me tap a clean triple on time.
I doubt your brain is too slow, you either need to use a better skin or have some high AR practice. You might want to disable follow-points and see how you perform

In any case what you describe is something that happens to me on very high AR (10.3+)
Topic Starter
Endaris
I have followpoints disabled when playing HR so that's certainly not the issue.
I'm trying to learn HR and that jpop-prediction-effect was fairly evident. I wondered if it potentially keeps me from actually orientating via the visual appearance.
That's why I'm curious how other people deal with it.
Purple

Endaris wrote:

I'm trying to learn HR and that jpop-prediction-effect was fairly evident. I wondered if it potentially keeps me from actually orientating via the visual appearance.
No, I think predicting the music is something you do because of your inability to react to the circles. It should not be preventing you from reading high AR and it's actually a good skill to have for AR that is actually almost impossible to read (like DTHR)

My suggestion would be to play some stream-less maps at AR10.3 (AR9+DT) and then go back to AR10 and see if you improve. The approach rate should "look" slower. It also helps to have a high contrast skin, from my experience.
Yolshka
Voted on 3rd option i hope you appreciate the help of a friend !

:3
StephOsu

Yolshka wrote:

Voted on 3rd option i hope you appreciate the help of a friend !

:3
Xyrus_old_1
I can only read triples in AR10 by anticipating as well. It's gonna take some time, but all I have to do is get used to AR8.5DT, and work my way up, i.e.:

Purple wrote:

My suggestion would be to play some stream-less maps at AR10.3 (AR9+DT) and then go back to AR10 and see if you improve. The approach rate should "look" slower.
Sayorie
I think you have to get really used to a certain AR to get good at that AR. Coming from a guy who relies on approach circles, when there are none, I rely on music and it works most of the time.
Some people use visual recognition, some people rely on the music, which means both are probably valid playstyles on their own. The difference is, visual recognition in higher AR is reliable but needs to be trained for a longer time, while relying on music is easier but is a shot in the dark and quite unreliable.
chainpullz
I read ar9.x by ear, I must really suck at this game tbh.
Deva

Endaris wrote:

I'm basically expecting a triple before I can visually confirm that there will be a triple. When I don't anticipate 1/4 patterns like that I'm often too late
That just means you cant read ar10 properly.

I can react visually to 1/4 up to ar9.7 but I practiced it quite a bit.
timemon
when I first started playing HR. 1/4 streams were my biggest problems because I couldn't see them in time and by the time I noticed them, it was already too late. I anticipated when the streams would show up. (took me a few months)

now though. AR10 has become the new AR9 for me. I can sightread everything fine.

my reading is not perfect though but it's solid and consistent enough to do most 4* maps.
[Haku]
Since triple are often mapped on double song, I really can't just hear the music for that.
Endie-
I struggle to see the difference between a double and a triple.
You'll just have to play more and get used to ar10
Drezi
No "Both" option? Though honestly, there are songs where you can't anticipate certain turns and mapping or not mapping a triple/stream at certain parts is pretty subjective at times (just look at different maps for the same song) so you'll always have to rely on visual cues to some extent.
E m i
Pointlessest thread in existence, everyone uses both
Topic Starter
Endaris
But which comes first?
It's obvious that you can't play without looking and listening but mentally one of them will have prevalence.
E m i
the music-based anticipation used to help me significantly when I didn't have a sufficient margin for error correction on ar10.
now that it's usually useless I still remain constantly aware of it :?
Clappy
Dont worry about HR yet, I no modded up to my rank, with a few good hr scores. Youre just not ready yet. But, if you must know, I went through the same song and dance as you. Just play more high ar and you'll get accustomed to trips
ithgyu
you need to be able to recognise them visually to be good at hr, for example, you should be able to play hr with music set to 0 and with no follow points, so that you are reacting only to the circles, this is how you know your recognition of notes is fast enough
Topic Starter
Endaris
I'm pretty sure I could predict half of the triples on j-pop songs even without the audio, lol.
Your input is greatly appreciated.
chainpullz

II Jelli II wrote:

you need to be able to recognise them visually to be good at hr, for example, you should be able to play hr with music set to 0 and with no follow points, so that you are reacting only to the circles, this is how you know your recognition of notes is fast enough
Even if music is set to 0% if effects are still on I can predict the rhythm unless the hitsounding is complete ass. Unless you mean master at 0%. Even then you can still predict based on your keyboard clicks etc.

FWIW professional musicians usually only have a single full rehearsal before performances. With a trained ear it barely takes anything at all to put 2 and 2 together.
The Gambler
Play more AR10 and CS5
Deva
I read everything you said and put it to a test.

I picked a skin without follow points, set volume to 0% both music and effects and picked a song I'm not familiar with, picked HR and started testing.

Since I'm usually late when playing AR10 I simply thought that I'm too slow for it and kept practicing.

But something unexpected happened, while I was playing with all the settings I mentioned above I was actually hitting too early most of the time.

Anyone willing to explain that?
show more