Endaris wrote:

HK_ wrote:

Then just spectate me hoping that some of my skill will pass on to you
i tried but senpai didnt notice me :(
Oh, I know this meme!

*proud*
StephOsu

Timo Timo wrote:

But I'm not looking for easier ways of playing Osu! I'm looking for ways to mold the challenge to my own desires. I want the challenge of having to react fast to circles, so I don't want EZ, and I want the challenge of actually clicking, so I don't want RX, but the challenge to read approachcircles instead of reading patterns in some other way is not that important to me. I'd rather read patterns in the most efficient way possible, because the fun challenge for me is to be able to react and click fast, accurately and precisely.
that's some solid line of thought to be a dirty HDDT farmer right there, which not a good thing to happen tbh
not playing EZ and RX is fine, but you need to at least learn to read the approach circles so that you can actually learn the game thoroughly instead of being another player that can't play AR9 160BPM> because it's too slow
Topic Starter
Mio Winter

StephOsu wrote:

Timo Timo wrote:

But I'm not looking for easier ways of playing Osu! I'm looking for ways to mold the challenge to my own desires. I want the challenge of having to react fast to circles, so I don't want EZ, and I want the challenge of actually clicking, so I don't want RX, but the challenge to read approachcircles instead of reading patterns in some other way is not that important to me. I'd rather read patterns in the most efficient way possible, because the fun challenge for me is to be able to react and click fast, accurately and precisely.
that's some solid line of thought to be a dirty HDDT farmer right there, which not a good thing to happen tbh
not playing EZ and RX is fine, but you need to at least learn to read the approach circles so that you can actually learn the game thoroughly instead of being another player that can't play AR9 160BPM> because it's too slow
I find already that I can't play maps under 4 stars...

Instinctive brain: "Can I click the circle yet?"
Thinking brain: "No!"
Instinctive brain: "Can I click the circle yet? It's been there for a while.."
Thinking brain: "NO! Look at the approach circle!"
Instinctive brain: *clicks and kills the circle*
Thinking brain: "I hate you..."
Endaris
You know, once you got good you don't have to look at the approach circle, you will know by ear when to tap. Nomod and Hidden are really not very much different at all.
chainpullz

Endaris wrote:

You know, once you got good you don't have to look at the approach circle, you will know by ear when to tap. Nomod and Hidden are really not very much different at all.
Aside from the aim aspect being a lot more difficult and/or more snappy depending on how hard you snap to notes without it (I don't at all).
Topic Starter
Mio Winter

Endaris wrote:

I tried playing nomod without approach circle (replaced it with a 1px transparent image), but I found it was much harder to read when to click. Hidden is easier because I can tell when to click and which orbs to click first based on when they disappear. (Theoretically, you could read when to click based on when circles first appear, but that requires you to hold the pattern in memory for longer, and I find it difficult.) I don't like the approach circle, though, and would prefer to have some other way to read, since the approach circles clutter up the screen and my brain has to handle more visual information.

The other advantage to having approach circles is that it's easier to spot circles that are under sliders or other circles. I tried some different ways of making this easier, but approach circles seem to be the easiest I know of so far...
Topic Starter
Mio Winter

chainpullz wrote:

Endaris wrote:

Aside from the aim aspect being a lot more difficult and/or more snappy depending on how hard you snap to notes without it (I don't at all).
Sorry again for noobing but... "Snap"?
chainpullz

Timo Timo wrote:

chainpullz wrote:

Don't worry about it. It's not really important unless you play mouse in which case it helps reduce drift.
Endaris

chainpullz wrote:

Endaris wrote:

Natural mousesnap, I don't even have to try much on uncomplicated maps :^)

@Timo: Just play the fuck nomod. Stop throwing skins and stuff around. It's just a matter of getting used to it.
Topic Starter
Mio Winter

chainpullz wrote:

Timo Timo wrote:

Don't worry about it. It's not really important unless you play mouse in which case it helps reduce drift.
!!!

I play mouse and I struggle with mouse drift. Please teach me.
Endaris
chainpullz doesn't know about mousedrift cause he's a filthy tabletplayer xd

Doomsday FAQ wrote:

Q. How do you deal with mouse drift? / Losing grip?
A. It's a subconscious thing, I can't really explain it. I just shuffle it during some form of break if it goes out of wack. It happens to us all, we all deal with it our own way.
You can abuse spinners and long sliders to adjust the angle of your mouse if you feel like your mouse is drifting off. But it really doesn't work during sliders when I do it consciously and it's no issue on most maps anyway.
Topic Starter
Mio Winter

Endaris wrote:

chainpullz doesn't know about mousedrift cause he's a filthy tabletplayer xd

Doomsday FAQ wrote:

Q. How do you deal with mouse drift? / Losing grip?
A. It's a subconscious thing, I can't really explain it. I just shuffle it during some form of break if it goes out of wack. It happens to us all, we all deal with it our own way.
You can abuse spinners and long sliders to adjust the angle of your mouse if you feel like your mouse is drifting off. But it really doesn't work during sliders when I do it consciously and it's no issue on most maps anyway.
Ah, I see. Snapping is lifting mouse to recover from drift. I do that.

To prevent myself from losing grip (fingers sliding off their ideal position on the mouse), I use blue tack on 5 spots on my mouse (one for each finger) and then mold the tack to grip my fingers. It can be annoying at first, because the tack is sticky, but after a while the stickiness of the tack reduces to a comfortable (and usefwl) level.
N0thingSpecial
tbh I need to question just how much mouse drift do you experience? cause I use mouse, and I can still FC some 5 minutes long marathon maps without adjusting for mouse drift.
Endaris
No, snapping is stopping on circles.
Also read the according spoilerbox here:
t/187364&start=0
Topic Starter
Mio Winter

N0thingSpecial wrote:

tbh I need to question just how much mouse drift do you experience? cause I use mouse, and I can still FC some 5 minutes long marathon maps without adjusting for mouse drift.
How much mouse drift you get depends on how much you rotate the mouse when you move it. But I think the main factor determining how much mouse drift you experience is based on the range of mouse positions you are comfortable with. I mostly just adjust the position of my mouse (lifting the mouse up) because my current way of holding it feels very slightly uncomfortable, but I don't think that uncomfortableness affects gameplay, I think it's just a psychological quirk. If I get used to holding my mouse in different positions, I should eliminate the feeling of uncomfort without it affecting gameplay.
Topic Starter
Mio Winter

Endaris wrote:

No, snapping is stopping on circles.
Also read the according spoilerbox here:
t/187364&start=0
Ah, I see. Thanks. You practice snapping when on HD because the invisible circles makes it impossible to adjust your position at the last moment. I guess I snap almost all notes because I don't notice any change in my ability to make jumps when I'm on HD and when I'm on nomod.

So a potential drawback of playing with nomod is the fact that it allows you to adjust your cursor at the last moment, thus potentially teaching you a bad habit. Instead of learning to adjust at the last moment, you want all your aim to come from being good at snapping. If you snap+adjust, that takes more processing power than just snapping.
Endaris
You're thinking too much. I'll just let you play whatever you want. Bye.
chainpullz
It's not a drawback. High bpm patterns especially those such as squares with unusually harsh flow require a snappier motion to actually hit. Patterns that actually flow it's usually bad to try to snap. If you look at things like raizoken's maps you'll notice the jumps flow bad as straight aim but flow great when aiming in an arc.

If a pattern doesn't require snappy aim and you aren't using mouse all you are doing is fucking with hand synchronization.

The reason snapping is good for mouse is that it reduces number of movements and arcing, both of which can introduce drift.
StephOsu

Timo Timo wrote:

I find already that I can't play maps under 4 stars...

Instinctive brain: "Can I click the circle yet?"
Thinking brain: "No!"
Thinking brain: "I hate you..."
that's a really bad thing to happen
it's literally a bad habit for you right there
you want to make your instinctive brain to be like your thinking brain to be good at this game, and the easiest way to do that is to actually forget about approach circle and feel the rhythm (I know this sounds ironic but as long as beatmaps are mapped properly and you are following the rhythm nicely you don't need to look at approach circle at all)
approach circle is for people who are still new to this game, can't feel the rhythm and beat of the song, can't see circles behind a slider, or shit maps
approach circle is also useful for the first note for some of the maps since they start off the first beat with the first note
tfg50
Forget HD for now, you are obviously not a player with the skillset to play it properly.
About the streams, just think that they are a stream of circles and follow the stream. It might sound dumb but that's all there's to it.
Topic Starter
Mio Winter

tfg50 wrote:

About the streams, just think that they are a stream of circles and follow the stream. It might sound dumb but that's all there's to it.
Thanks. Really helpfwl. : p
Topic Starter
Mio Winter

Endaris wrote:

You're thinking too much. I'll just let you play whatever you want. Bye.
"This was an intellectual habit of Achamian's: noting the importance of contrary and not so obvious things. He delighted in throwing aside the veil, in revealing the complexities that lurked beneath simple things. In this he was almost unique: world-born men, Kellhus had found, despised complexity as much as they cherished flattery. Most men would rather die in deception than live in uncertainty."

Not trying to insult. I'm just trying to explain what I'm doing: uncovering the complexities of the issue instead of settling for premature conclusions.
Topic Starter
Mio Winter

StephOsu wrote:

Timo Timo wrote:

that's a really bad thing to happen
it's literally a bad habit for you right there
you want to make your instinctive brain to be like your thinking brain to be good at this game, and the easiest way to do that is to actually forget about approach circle and feel the rhythm (I know this sounds ironic but as long as beatmaps are mapped properly and you are following the rhythm nicely you don't need to look at approach circle at all)
approach circle is for people who are still new to this game, can't feel the rhythm and beat of the song, can't see circles behind a slider, or shit maps
approach circle is also useful for the first note for some of the maps since they start off the first beat with the first note
I accept that it is a bad habit if my goal was to learn to play maps that have circles more infrequently than what's natural for the rhythm, but I don't think that's my goal. So I'm not convinced it such a bad habit that I'll try to cure myself of it. : o Unless it prevents me from doing harder maps as well...

Also, have you tried playing without approach circles? It works for me, for the most part, but there are sections where I get really confused about when to click. Especially right after breaks. I suppose if it's possible to learn to read the rhythm perfectly without approach circles, I should try to learn that and get rid of the approach circles.
Endaris
No, you're overinterpreting things. The more you interprete, the more you detach yourself from the actual thing you actually looked at. Clicking circles isn't a deep philosophic process. You click the circles to the beat. Even by abstracting how you actually click the circles to the beat you don't get better at clicking the circles.
Deva

Timo Timo wrote:

have you tried playing without approach circles?
I did that for some time. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Its stupid.
StephOsu

Timo Timo wrote:

I accept that it is a bad habit if my goal was to learn to play maps that have circles more infrequently than what's natural for the rhythm, but I don't think that's my goal. So I'm not convinced it such a bad habit that I'll try to cure myself of it. : o Unless it prevents me from doing harder maps as well...

Also, have you tried playing without approach circles? It works for me, for the most part, but there are sections where I get really confused about when to click. Especially right after breaks. I suppose if it's possible to learn to read the rhythm perfectly without approach circles, I should try to learn that and get rid of the approach circles.
the first thing you need to realize here is that unless the maps is shit, streams always fits into a part of rhythm (like drum roll or guitar solo..?). If you can't even realize that, you aren't really playing to the rhythm yet.
and also, yes i tried to play without approach circle for once, and the result was hell
I get really confused once some patterns comes out. as long as it's not simple jumps or streams, i can do fine, but it's not the case here for 5* songs since we have some different patterns all over.
and also, as endaris said, circle is not deep philosophic process. circle is not rocket science. you see the circle, you click the circle to the beat, that's all it is.
Topic Starter
Mio Winter

StephOsu wrote:

circle is not deep philosophic process. circle is not rocket science. you see the circle, you click the circle to the beat, that's all it is.
Circle is mystery, circle is life, circle has hidden facts that Thinking can only pry open. At least I enjoy treating it that way. : p
StephOsu
apparently not in this game
Yuudachi-kun
Are you Railey2
Topic Starter
Mio Winter

Khelly wrote:

Are you Railey2

(If that was directed at me: ) Not as far as I know.
Matrick
For some reason I was the opposite streams were easy but jumps weren't for some reason in no-mod I'm the opposite I suck a streams to an extent but jumps are extreamly easy so yeah