forum

How do I advance in this game?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
AnonymousDoge
I am reaching the tip of the mountain of ranks!(11k and going!) I really like rhythm gaming(this one in particular is far more fun to me than guitar hero) so far, and I want to get better! Check my recent plays and ranks on osu!stats if you want to know what specific advice to give me(I usually play the popular maps in 4k mod just for fun or even the pure 4k beatmaps...although recently I have been trying to learn 5,6, and 7k) considering what I have already done. I tried asking for beatmaps on the Steam group page and I got this as an answer >( I talked about the 4k tourney and possibly making the cut, but the schedule will get in the way unfortunately) https://gyazo.com/7a23d2ad7e4dfa931d42300a7faebfe4 . I get what he means but I was just asking for a cool map to play that would really help me advance to the 5k rankings. :( :( Anyways, I would really appreciate any help I get
Bobbias
He's not exactly wrong though. Compare your skill level with the top american players. Does it look realistic that you will be able to reach that skill level in time for the tournament? Just reaching the lowest acceptable skill level doesn't mean you'll be able to play in the tournament. I'm rank 1600, and 26th in canada, and I'm still considerably lower skill level than the people who compete in the mwc for canada. Now, like the other guy said, I'm not trying to be an asshole, I just get the impression that you don't quite understand just how much skill difference there is between where you are now and where you'd like to be.

As for the question about improving in general, we have a thread with a LOT of information about how to improve: t/146615
Topic Starter
AnonymousDoge

Bobbias wrote:

He's not exactly wrong though. Compare your skill level with the top american players. Does it look realistic that you will be able to reach that skill level in time for the tournament? Just reaching the lowest acceptable skill level doesn't mean you'll be able to play in the tournament. I'm rank 1600, and 26th in canada, and I'm still considerably lower skill level than the people who compete in the mwc for canada. Now, like the other guy said, I'm not trying to be an asshole, I just get the impression that you don't quite understand just how much skill difference there is between where you are now and where you'd like to be.

As for the question about improving in general, we have a thread with a LOT of information about how to improve: t/146615
I know im low in rankings, thats not the point anymore considering the 4k tournaments time schedule does not fit with mine during that time. I know its quite dumb to have even thought about playing in the tournament. But for me, its just for fun. I love music and this is one of the ways I can mess around during the day. Just being in a tournament of that size would be incredible! Thats pretty much it for that part haha. But thanks for the link to the thread!
Ayaya
What Bobbias said is right, the tournament is so close to starting. Looking at the top USA 4k players, you are no where near close to their skill level. Just getting to rank 5k won't let you be on the team since a team captain chooses the players. If you want to join a tournament then enter a unofficial one like the Osu!Mania SOFT FFA (this one is finished) if Halogen- does a 2nd one this year. By the way, I'm rank 911 and I most likely won't make the team so I didn't register.
Yuudachi-kun
Someone once told me 10th dan is probably good enough for 4k owc. Go look at the 4k dan thread and if you can't 96% 10th dan then...

Looks like a good goal to try to get in a year though
aitor98

Khelly wrote:

Someone once told me 10th dan is probably good enough for 4k owc. Go look at the 4k dan thread and if you can't 96% 10th dan then...

Based in your country, maybe it would be Luminal instead of 10th dan taking in count which players does USA pick for the MWC (last year pick was Halogen, Etienne, etc). I think that USA's level requirement is a bit above than the one that you have said Khelly.
Yuudachi-kun

aitor98 wrote:

Khelly wrote:

Based in your country, maybe it would be Luminal instead of 10th dan taking in count which players does USA pick for the MWC (last year pick was Halogen, Etienne, etc). I think that USA's level requirement is a bit above than the one that you have said Khelly.
He WAS Canadian...
Jinjin

Khelly wrote:

Yup, in terms of skill level, the US has a lot of very high skilled 4K players.
I'm thinking of users like Etienne, Halogen, Gekido, Chrubble, Shadow, and Zyph.
Ayaya
If you don't know what Khelly, aitor98, and JinJin is talking about when they say 10th dan and Luminal then go here
Bobbias
tl;dr of that thread:

Dans are skill levels. You achieve a Dan by playing a course of 4 songs and achieving 96% or higher by the end of the course. Each Dan is harder than the last, so they serve as a rough way to judge your skill level. Why? Because star rating is completely broken at higher difficulties, so this becomes a more accurate way to discuss player skill levels. They originated in Lunatic Rave 2, a beatmania simulator.
AncuL
Most of the participating american 4K players had played for over 7 years though.
lemonguy

Jinjin wrote:

Khelly wrote:

Yup, in terms of skill level, the US has a lot of very high skilled 4K players.
I'm thinking of users like Etienne, Halogen, Gekido, Chrubble, Shadow, and Zyph.
I would be 5th player for US and I cleared luminal (and I'm not even close to the skill of the 1-4 players), so yeah for many countries you would need to be around 10th dan to make the team.

AncuL wrote:

Most of the participating american 4K players had played for over 7 years though.
hehe I still haven't reached 2 years yet ;^)^)^)
Yuudachi-kun
Who are the 1-4 out of curiosity
Ayaya
nadavv
lol 11k isnt CLOSE to the tip of the rank mountain you are closer to the bottom than you are to the courter point. i am 2.9k and i am complete crap compared to everyone else thats going to be in this competition. only reason im signing up is because israel sucks at this and im the 5th best we got. seriously both of us togheter arent close to 1% of what those insane guys can do
Yuudachi-kun
But what dan are you :o