forum

Actual Japanese Music Thread

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Navizel
Discuss, rec, post your favorite -actual- Japanese album, etc.
No touhou and shitty generic anime openings allowed

a list

Been listening to the same stuff so I figured I should make a thread
Aomi
i love you for making this thread

been getting into j-rock and j-metal as of late
this is still my favorite song by far
7ambda
Sorry, I'm a rebel.

Topic Starter
Navizel
die
7ambda
Anime has true music 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Sanxu_old
夢中夢 self titled is fucking amazing. イリヤ seems to be a lot more popular but the only track that really sticks with me is 火焔鳥.  夢中夢 on the other hand is just absolutely amazing start to finish. It's also much more varied.

Also this is top tier shoegaze tbqh

Edit: F1r3tar don't be a cunt. At least spoilerbox the stuff that nobody who comes to a thread saying "No touhou and shitty generic anime openings allowed" will want to listen to.
Jukkii
i myself really like Camellia and other artist of the same type of music. PLANET//SHAPER and Crystallized are amazing albums.
i myself also really like the way japanese pronounciation fits singing very well but i can't give any examples of good songs like that out of the top of my head
Aomi

F1r3tar wrote:

Topic Starter
Navizel

Aomi wrote:

this is nice

Sanxu wrote:

Also this is top tier shoegaze tbqh
My Dead Girlfriend is great. Japanese shoegaze is pretty good in general. Thanks for the Mutyumu.
Sanxu_old
That something was nice.

Also in case there's the rare few here who don't follow Demo or missed this, here's an absolutely brilliant playlist of music he compiled not too long ago.
https://soundcloud.com/demolition_d/sets/rock-out-dude
Topic Starter
Navizel
bumpin'
Still haven't listened to Demo's playlist although I see some nice songs. I got too used to listening in full albums.
Offdensen
Topic Starter
Navizel
w-what was that

Rurree

damn
Topic Starter
Navizel
Thanks for posting one of my favorites. Have you tried listening to her band Tokyo Jihen?

Rurree
Sadly no, I do like her solo albums though. I might try listening soon.
kidamiku

Japanese rock is only rock what I listen.
Last song is sung by Rio Momose from Idolm@ster.
Topic Starter
Navizel

kidamiku wrote:

best one out of the three imo. Visual kei is still really gimmicky for me.

Benlothar
Anyone heard of Unchain? They make alot of covers that are waaayyy better then the original versions.

but they make their own music too
Surono
dem doganfurs japan ver.
_Hatsumi

Too bad there's no full version of the MV
Unison Square Garden - Sugar Song to Bitter Step
roufou
Topic Starter
Navizel
new gesu
HootOwlStar
wonder if anyone listened to music works by moumoon so here we go

Topic Starter
Navizel
Just saying there's a new Utada Hikaru album. Not a fan of it but the track with Shiina Ringo is worth checking out.
https://vimeo.com/183041198
TheCoffeeLord
I'm a huge fan of Sakanaction, they're a pretty awesome alt-rock band. Sadly, none of their songs are available online in other countries due to stupid copyright reasons, so I had to import their albums. I can PM people a link I know of on Dailymotion to one of my favorite singles of theirs if anyone is interested.
Topic Starter
Navizel
Where should I start with their album?

Sanbyoururu
I've got to admit that my music collection is pretty small, even more so when it comes to Japanese music. I absolutely love Shiina Ringo and Tokyo Jihen, though. school food punishment's EPs from before they began releasing full-lenghth albums are also all-time favourites of mine. Other than that, there's only a couple albums by daoko, Sayonara Ponytail, Yakushimaru Etsuko and siraph (who have only released one EP so far, but remind me so much of school food punishment).

I guess I'm a sucker for the more poppy stuff. I should probably check that list in the opening post since I usually struggle discovering new music on my own...

Topic Starter
Navizel
Glad to see more people that are into Shiina Ringo. Her track with Utada was one of my favorites this year.
I made a list about recommended japanese albums that you might want to check out. I think half of them are poppy.
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Navizel/ ... se-albums/
Sanbyoururu
Thanks a bunch. Just took a quick look at the list and it's mostly names I've never even heard of, so it might take a while to work through all the stuff I don't know yet. Also noticed Fetch by Melt-Banana on the list, which I would probably love to death if it weren't for those ear-grating vocals. Damn, I'm probably being a turbo pleb here, but I really wish they had a different singer.
Topic Starter
Navizel
Melt Banana does take a while to get used to. Yako's vocals are ear grating at first but I loved it after a few listens. Sad that you didn't like it though.
Yeah some of them are somewhat obscure and takes a while to get used to/quite experimental but I hope you would like them.