forum

osu!mania 4K World Cup 2016 - Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
LastExceed

Piggy wrote:

When will the mappool be released? And will per-song offset be allowed?

Live Drawings: 31 Jul 2016 14:00 UTC+0
Yes, per-song offset is allowed
Topic Starter
Loctav
Hello!

Sorry for the delay. Travelling to Spain took some time, so please give it some understanding here.
We altered the MWC4K ruleset to reflect our planned balance changes.

1. The FreeMod bracket makes you either choose between Flashlight or HardRock
  2. You can now activate Hidden or FadeIn at any beatmap. These mods do not count into the FreeMod requirement
The MWC4K has the unfortunate position of overlapping with my only 2 weeks in a year where I get my vacations. So my apologies for the delay in this matter and that it took a while to announce that. We needed to figure out first, if HardRock submits properly, which took a bit.
Halogen-
Hahaha, being able to pick between one or the other basically means you should just have an HR bracket! HR being 1.2x versus FL being 1.1x -- the point at which player skill converges to make up that difference is probably at the point of barely passing charts.
CharlisMadCut
"FreeMod"
"makes you either choose between Flashlight or HardRock"

wat
arcwinolivirus
why not both :^) just kidding, man gonna pick HR for full sight rather than FL but only 1.1x wkwkwkwk
LastExceed

Loctav wrote:

Hello!

Sorry for the delay. Travelling to Spain took some time, so please give it some understanding here.
We altered the MWC4K ruleset to reflect our planned balance changes.

1. The FreeMod bracket makes you either choose between Flashlight or HardRock
  2. You can now activate Hidden or FadeIn at any beatmap. These mods do not count into the FreeMod requirement
The MWC4K has the unfortunate position of overlapping with my only 2 weeks in a year where I get my vacations. So my apologies for the delay in this matter and that it took a while to announce that. We needed to figure out first, if HardRock submits properly, which took a bit.
Wtf this is even worse!
First off all the multipliers of those mods (at least HR) are extremely unbalanced. Second, this is extremely unfair when there is a FL player one team. Third (as said before) this will lead to a HR bracket bcause the multipliers arent even.

Please just return to the old single-bracket system where all visual mods are free to choose.

I do have to say I like the idea of "putting the players out of the comfort zone", but neither does this determine "whos truly the best" nor is there any way you can make it work properly atm.

It's nice that you're trying to make it different from other tournaments, but this idea is just horrible.
Halogen-
The gap between HR and FL allows FL to be left in the dust, haha. And yeah, as LastExceed mentioned (and I never even thought about it), if there is an FL main, it's pretty messed up for them because they're forced to break away from their native mod. I suppose this cancels the fact that they'd get a multiplier regardless of what they did, but...

Visual mods are making this all screwy, heh.
rohen04
It would be great if a few players who can play FL could test how much both mods affect the score, and therefore test whether the score multipliers are justified. Remember that HR can drain the accuracy quite harshly and lead to more misses.
Halogen-
Ask yourself this question: if you're not an FL main -- would you rather deal with the tightened timing windows rather than the visual obstruction?

Or a better question: Do you feel that you can score what would be 900k normally, on hard rock? If you can answer yes to this question, using FL is useless. With a multiplier of 1.2x, players who can get at least 916,668 points before the HR multiplier is added will mathematically beat out a player who is using FL, even if they get a SSS (1,000,000) score prior to the multiplier. Given the level of play we're likely to experience in MWC, a huge majority of players will almost certainly be picking HR because the risk to use it is incredibly low compared to the multiplier.

The strategy would be much more interesting if you could activate both at the same time, and if the multipliers were reduced.
Tidek
Why fade in is removed from freemods since both FL and FI are forcing players to lower scroll speed (FI requires to lower your scroll by around 50% and FL around 40%) and FL is actually easier for most players because of stable vision area. That is pretty nonsense in my opinion.

Adding HR is pretty bad at the moment since it doesnt change too much at all, it doesnt put players out from their comfort zone.

Actually, I liked the most the first idea where:
- freemod bracket - one of the players must choose FI or FL (without score multipliers), rest of players can play HD or nomod
- normal bracket - players are playing nomod or with HD

Now its getting worse and worse :/
LastExceed

Tidek wrote:

Why fade in is removed from freemods since both FL and FI are forcing players to lower scroll speed (FI requires to lower your scroll by around 50% and FL around 40%) and FL is actually easier for most players because of stable vision area. That is pretty nonsense in my opinion.
Adding HR atm is pretty bad at the moment since it doesnt change too much at all, it doesnt put players out from their comfort zone.
Actually, I liked the most the first idea where:
- freemod bracket - one of the players must choose FI or FL (without score multipliers), rest of players can play HD or nomod
- normal bracket - players are playing nomod or with HD
Now its getting worse and worse :/
I agree that FI should be treated the same/similar as FL, but thats something to discuss in the V2 thread (i already made a post there). Right now we should just leave them as a free choice instead of forcing them on the players because no matter what that won't end up fair.

Its cool that they're trying to adapt MWC to v2 but since the mod-part is completely messed up right now we should leave those out for now (again: im talking about the mods, not v2 in general)

I disagree with your idea of reverting to the first idea however. Just make all 3 mods free to choose and remove the second bracket. It's too soon for that (maybe next year when v2 is more balanced regarding mod multipliers)

Conclusion:
  1. I think we can all agree that HD should be free to choose since there are many players who prefer it over NoMod
  2. Since there are also some FL players I'd say we should make it free to choose too (also the multiplier is yet to be discussed)
  3. Im unsure about FadeIn, I leave that up to you
  4. I see no point in forcing NoMod since people who prefer a visual mod will use their skin instead so you can as just leave it at free choice
  5. HR multiplier is way too high atm so just leave it out of the tournament
Ayaya
HR has a 1.20x score multiplier (makes window tighter)
FL has 1.10x score multiplier (obstruct vision)

Most nomod players would rather pick HR since it doesn't mess with vision and also look at the multiplier, it's x2 higher...

I would rather have a MWC without the mod score multiplier but force 1 player on freemod to play with FI or FL and a nomod bracket with HD (from the beginning what everyone is agreeing to)
even though I still think people should just skin a static HD to their skin because it's better.
rohen04
So, I have tested the effect of FL and HR on a few songs. These are the things I could assess.
Note: This may only apply to players who can play FL about as well as Nomod.

1. On easy songs (where you can hold a high combo easily and at worst only miss a few times), HR gives a big advantage. As long as one can hold a high combo, it will most likely result in a better HR score than FL.

2. In cases where HR makes you hold a high combo a lot harder, FL might result in a better score.
This one may apply to songs with a higher amount of long notes. LNs on HR are a LOT harder since the release timing becomes very narrow, making it harder to not miss. This shouldn't be a huge problem for players who can play LN very well.

3. On harder songs where you miss constantly, both mods could result in a better score.
This is something that might become more interesting during the finals. A good FL player could very well beat a HR player in that difficulty range.

All in all, this could be interesting, depending on what type of patterns appear in the map pools. The changes of the LN system brought in Score V2 could result in more strategic song/player choices, especially in the later stages.
My recommendation would be to look into more LN heavy maps to include in the map pool, if there won't be any more changes.
mijkolsmith
lol
Kamikaze
The structure has to be tested in practice somewhere - it just happens to be this MWC - I can agree that there was too little time to test everything enough, but to call a tourney dead or broken just because it has a new set of rules, is outright stupid.
If you can't play by the rules and instead just want to rant about it everywhere then I would recommend just not signing up.
I can understand not liking the changes, you may have valid reasoning for that as well, but requesting a revert to old set of rules because some people dislike it is uncalled for in my opinion. How about just play along and see how it goes so we can learn from it and adjust the rules to be better for the next MWC?
LastExceed

-Kamikaze- wrote:

I can understand not liking the changes, you may have valid reasoning for that as well, but requesting a revert to old set of rules because some people dislike it is uncalled for in my opinion. How about just play along and see how it goes so we can learn from it and adjust the rules to be better for the next MWC?
I was actually looking for people who do like it in particular because I am interested in pro-arguments, but i honestly wasn't able to find ANYONE. The only opinion that somewhat goes into that direction is rohen04's "it could be interesting" (which you find on this thread).

The thing is that its not SOME people who don't like it, but EVERYONE. I can't even find any pro arguments, seems like this really IS a devs playground for testing. And theres even set up a 1900$ price pool for it wtf.

I've been looking forward to this forever, there's no way I'm gonna resign now.

Btw why has my previous post been removed and why wasn't i notified?
juankristal

LastExceed wrote:

-Kamikaze- wrote:

I was actually looking for people who do like it in particular because I am interested in pro-arguments, but i honestly wasn't able to find ANYONE. The only opinion that somewhat goes into that direction is rohen04's it could be interesting (which you find on this thread).

The thing is that its not SOME people who don't like it, but EVERYONE. I can't even find any pro arguments, seems like this really IS a devs playground for testing. And theres even set up a 1900$ price pool for it wtf.

I've been looking forward to this forever, there's no way I'm gonna resign now.

Btw why has my post been removed and why wasn't i notified?
Maybe !faq douche? I dont really know.

Leaving that aside we are at a point where changing rules WONT happen (or at least not likely). There is about 2 weeks until MWC 4K starts and making more changes will affect players and they wont have the time to get used to it.

I will use myself as an example, I am considering going FL+HR if it is allowed and I am still not sure if it is worth training because the rules are yet not as clear. And if they end up changing more stuff I will likely wont have enought time to get used to it (I already spent some time training FL while I shouldnt because HR is more worth so far at least).

Consider making some constructive feedback for the MWC 7K and the next 4K cup as well. Just try to enjoy this one and if you feel the rules dont suit you, just dont join. Noone will complain about it!
LastExceed
Then at least rename this to "scoreV2 testing rournament" because this has nothing to do with "finding out whos truly the best".
You're bringing up a score system that raises the value of combo and then force the usage of HR on maps that are already all about acc.

I really have to hold back from plain insulting everyone here right now, simply because of the lack of arguments
Kamikaze
Raw skill will always edge out in the end. And there is nothing wrong with score v2 except the multipliers which might need some more adjusting (going to test some things out and make a post later today).
And if you want to go into insulting because there are actually people who disagree with you, then I think I should just stop posting. Not worth it.
LastExceed
That's why I'm not doing it. I don't say scoreV2 is bad overall, I actually like it. It's just (as you said yourself) that the mod multipliers are completely ridiculous so I just don't see the point in involving them into a World championship.

If you want me to stop posting, then provide a single solid argument, because
  1. "it's too late now" is just the result of not giving an argument for a long enough time
  2. "we need to test v2 somewhere" has nothing to do with an official tournament.
  3. "raw skill will edge out in the end" is plain wrong (/u/lEdelWeiss and me are the perfect example: He has excellent accuracy which is why have no chance on easy maps against him, while I usually beat him on hard maps. Now who's the better one?)

Still wanna know why that post was deleted.
FrenzyLi
Reply to LastExceed:

"Raw skill will edge out in the end is plain wrong" is plain wrong, because neither you nor the person you reference is really at the end. You forgot to take the limits. (Jakads: hope you pardon my savage, but) even jakads and j<beep> is not in the end.
LastExceed

FrenzyLi wrote:

Reply to LastExceed:

"Raw skill will edge out in the end is plain wrong" is plain wrong, because neither you nor the person you reference is really at the end. You forgot to take the limits. (Jakads hope you pardon my savage, but) even jakads and j<beep> is not in the end.
Ok forget that example i made. Though i have trouble understanding yours...
FrenzyLi
Reply to LastExceed:

From my point of view, the single argument against your "rage posts" (posts containing rage) at the current time could be:
  1. Just don't rage due to the fact that this is a dev test ground with prizes.
There is no argument against you posting ordinary non-rage posts at the current time. I think you're still welcomed in this discussion as long as you do not express rage; for example, I like to read your post in the scorev2 thread.

Also, respect privacy rights of other people. I would exercise caution when I post chat logs, for example.
Kamikaze

LastExceed wrote:

If you want me to stop posting, then provide a single solid argument, because
  1. "it's too late now" is just the result of not giving an argument for a long enough time Is a result of not having enough time to properly test everything, arguments were given even before the thread was made iirc
  2. "we need to test v2 somewhere" has nothing to do with an official tournament. If you make a new weapon, testing it on a shooting range will not give you enough data about it, you need to test it in actual combat (even if improvised). That's exactly the case here, the format is being tested in practice to see how well it does and to take lessons from it so it can be refined and polished for the next one.
  3. "raw skill will edge out in the end" is plain wrong (/u/lEdelWeiss and me are the perfect example: He has excellent accuracy which is why have no chance on easy maps against him, while I usually beat him on hard maps. Now who's the better one?) EdelWeiss has a raw skill advantage on easier stages and you have on later stages, in a tournament setting that makes you equal assuming that the diffrences between you are similar. Teams consist of 6 players, if you have players who can do good and edge out opposition on specific stages, then they are still going to win even with those new rules. As stated before (somewhere): the world champions should be able to play absolutely everything by themselves or as a team.
Sorry if my arguments are not good enough btw, I have trouble forming them at this hour (also my mind is more on the mappicking and other various stuff atm)
LastExceed

FrenzyLi wrote:

Reply to LastExceed:

From my point of view, the single argument against your "rage posts" (posts containing rage) at the current time could be:
  1. Just don't rage due to the fact that this is a dev test ground with prizes.
There is no argument against you posting ordinary non-rage posts at the current time. I think you're still welcomed in this discussion as long as you do not express rage; for example, I like to read your post in the scorev2 thread.
Thank you. I'm gonna go for now and try to calm down.

take your time -Kamikaze-.

FrenzyLi wrote:

Also, respect privacy rights of other people. I would exercise caution when I post chat logs, for example.
Oh so that's why. Yeah forgot about that.
juankristal
As Kamikaze said we will do some testings tomorrow to see what can we do. I still think changing stuff now is a nope for the low amount of time that we do have but worth the shot.

How about if you also try to give some data and input related to that? Like people already said, your post was just some images telling how bad this is without real arguments and if I have to guess thats why it was deleted.

We will see what do we find tomorrow
Halogen-
Somewhat tangential, but also somewhat related... is there going to be anyway to play/practice on Score v2 outside of multiplayer before the tournament? I find this to be a bit of a hurdle for getting accustomed to the new changes, and I don't particularly enjoy having to play with others when I want to practice on my own. I can't control my targeted sessions that way. =/
rohen04

Halogen- wrote:

Somewhat tangential, but also somewhat related... is there going to be anyway to play/practice on Score v2 outside of multiplayer before the tournament? I find this to be a bit of a hurdle for getting accustomed to the new changes, and I don't particularly enjoy having to play with others when I want to practice on my own. I can't control my targeted sessions that way. =/
Not only that, you have to be a supporter as well.
It should be possible to start a MP match by yourself, and Score V2 should be included in the stable release. Other than that, it is very hard to prepare well for the matches.
LastExceed

rohen04 wrote:

Not only that, you have to be a supporter as well
Nope, scoreV2 is also available on the beta stream which is free for everyone.
Kamikaze

LastExceed wrote:

rohen04 wrote:

Not only that, you have to be a supporter as well
Nope, scoreV2 is also available on the beta stream which is free for everyone.
Just tested it, didn't work (I might've messed up something tho, idk, needs confirmation)
LastExceed
I didn't it myself, it's just what loctav said in the official scoreV2 thread t/375428
Kamikaze
That's for std tho, mania's v2 might not be in beta yet
LastExceed
oh ok
PeteN00b
Mfw my country has only one kind of relevant player in mania
LastExceed

juankristal wrote:

As Kamikaze said we will do some testings tomorrow to see what can we do. I still think changing stuff now is a nope for the low amount of time that we do have but worth the shot.

How about if you also try to give some data and input related to that? Like people already said, your post was just some images telling how bad this is without real arguments and if I have to guess thats why it was deleted.

We will see what do we find tomorrow
ok first of all I wanna apologize for my rude behaviour, I was upset and acted carelessly.
Second, I think I mentioned enough con-arguments, but I can list the main ones again:
- since some people see visual mods as handicap while others find them helpful it would strongly depend on the type of player a country is represented by instead of their actual skill
- banning mods in the default bracket makes no sense other than upsetting players who prefer them since they can be skinned anyway so you can just leave them in
- mod multipliers are very unbalanced atm and overall yet to be discussed
- it makes no sense to give a choice between 2 mods that have different multipliers
- the absolute majority of players doesn't like this system overall (its your choice whether you make this tournament for the community or for development purposes)

I'd rather say it's your turn to give some pro-arguments. the only one I recall atm is "we need to test scoreV2 somehow", which brings us back to con-argument #5.

Also, what about the testing results you mentioned?

EDIT: btw am I allowed to pick HD/FI ADDITIONALLY in the mod bracket when I decide to pick HR?
Kamikaze

LastExceed wrote:

ok first of all I wanna apologize for my rude behaviour, I was upset and acted carelessly.
Second, I think I mentioned enough con-arguments, but I can list the main ones again:
- since some people see visual mods as handicap while others find them helpful it would strongly depend on the type of player a country is represented by instead of their actual skill
- banning mods in the default bracket makes no sense other than upsetting players who prefer them since they can be skinned anyway so you can just leave them in
- it makes no sense to give a choice between 2 mods that have different multipliers
- the absolute majority of players doesn't like this system overall (its your choice whether you make this tournament for the community or for development purposes)

I'd rather say it's your turn to give some pro-arguments. the only one I recall atm is "we need to test scoreV2 somehow", which brings us back to con-argument #5.

EDIT: btw am I allowed to pick HD/FI ADDITIONALLY in the mod bracket when I decide to pick HR?
Okay so:
#1 - That is fine in my opinion because 1) that's still a part of tactics around the tournament to either get a player to learn the mod or pick one who already can do the mod 2) people who find those mods to be helpful more often than not will struggle on nomod so you have a drawback either way

#2 - Those mods are banned (or moved to nomod rather) exactly because they can be skinned away and the effects of them can be neglected or neutralized by a decent amount. While I personally would leave FI in, that's staff's decision and I understand it

#3 - They are not yet to be discussed, they have been discussed and after I've tested some things (p/5317537 and presented it to smoogi he said the multipliers will be adjusted

#4 - That's arguable, while that is a valid point, I personally think that the harshness of the timing windows on OD10 + HR (+/- 24,5ms for 300, +/- 11,5ms for a max) warrants a slightly bigger multiplier to reward top tier accuracy more

#5 - I don't find that argument, or at least the back half of it a good excuse to just abandon all changes. People are afraid of changes, especially when you're changing something that has roots VERY deep in the community. I also can bet that half of the players hating on the changes didn't test it and just saw screens of the first version with 500k S score and other type of broken things alongside, while they may not be aware of all the changes and adjustments that have been done to v2 since then

And yes, you can use HD/FI alongside HR (since HD/FI and FL cancel out eachother) in freemod, they just count the same as nomod.
LastExceed

-Kamikaze- wrote:

LastExceed wrote:

Okay so:
#1 - That is fine in my opinion because 1) that's still a part of tactics around the tournament to either get a player to learn the mod or pick one who already can do the mod 2) people who find those mods to be helpful more often than not will struggle on nomod so you have a drawback either way

#2 - Those mods are banned (or moved to nomod rather) exactly because they can be skinned away and the effects of them can be neglected or neutralized by a decent amount. While I personally would leave FI in, that's staff's decision and I understand it

#3 - They are not yet to be discussed, they have been discussed and after I've tested some things (p/5317537 and presented it to smoogi he said the multipliers will be adjusted

#4 - That's arguable, while that is a valid point, I personally think that the harshness of the timing windows on OD10 + HR (+/- 24,5ms for 300, +/- 11,5ms for a max) warrants a slightly bigger multiplier to reward top tier accuracy more

#5 - I don't find that argument, or at least the back half of it a good excuse to just abandon all changes. People are afraid of changes, especially when you're changing something that has roots VERY deep in the community. I also can bet that half of the players hating on the changes didn't test it and just saw screens of the first version with 500k S score and other type of broken things alongside, while they may not be aware of all the changes and adjustments that have been done to v2 since then

And yes, you can use HD/FI alongside HR (since HD/FI and FL cancel out eachother) in freemod, they just count the same as nomod.
Aaah this is the kind of reply i've been looking for all the time, thank you so much :P
I have trouble understanding #2 though, how can visual mods be neglected via skin and why is that a reason to bann them? (since they dont give any score advantage)?
Kamikaze
You can completely nullify the effect of cover increasing wiith combo and tbh you don't even need a skin for it, you can use your shirt, a piece of paper or whatever, and due to mods not being tied to hitposition of the skin, you can lower hitposition to the very bottom of your screen for FI and gain a lot more room to read.
LastExceed

-Kamikaze- wrote:

You can completely nullify the effect of cover increasing wiith combo and tbh you don't even need a skin for it, you can use your shirt, a piece of paper or whatever, and due to mods not being tied to hitposition of the skin, you can lower hitposition to the very bottom of your screen for FI and gain a lot more room to read.
I still dont understand how that would eliminate the visual handucap because your screen would still be covered. Adding a skinned cover would even increase the handicap since that way you have maximum shadow ALL THE TIME. I do understand the judgement line thing you mentioned for FI though.
But even if it was possible to completely remove the shadow and regain full vision, why is that a reason to bann the mod? Theres no advantage to it
Halogen-

LastExceed wrote:

-Kamikaze- wrote:

I still dont understand how that would eliminate the visual handucap because your screen would still be covered. Adding a skinned cover would even increase the handicap since that way you have maximum shadow ALL THE TIME. I do understand the judgement line thing you mentioned for FI though.
But even if it was possible to completely remove the shadow and regain full vision, why is that a reason to bann the mod? Theres no advantage to it
The shadow distance is not the largest inhibitor for everyone - it's the shadow changing position that turns out to be an issue.
show more